Naples without The Amalfi Coast and Venice without Venice

jc522

When we saw the Italy, Adriatic & Greece cruise, we thought it looked very good. Our primary interest is the Italian towns and on this itinerary we'd be able able to go to the Amalfi Coast on an excursion out of Naples, and we'd have 2.5 days to explore Venice. Not really.

Viking still lists the Amalfi excursion on the IAG cruise itinerary, but on My Viking it isn't listed, and won't be. In addition, we aren't really going to Venice. We are going to dock 1 1/2 hours away, in Chioggia. In the list of Venice excursions, nowhere does it mention the 1 1/2 hour travel time to and from.

There are good reasons for both of the above, but there is no reason for Viking to clarify the situation only after they have my deposit.

Edited by jc522

I can’t speak to Amalfi, but I was in Venice this past October. We wound up docking in Fusina and were informed less than 2 weeks before embarkation in Barcelona for our Mediterranean Odyssey cruise. We knew it wouldn’t be Venice, but thought it would be Chioggia which as you know is much further than Fusina. We also missed one port (Monaco) due to weather. So I disagree with you that Viking knew and waited to tell you after you paid your deposit. 

33 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I can’t speak to Amalfi, but I was in Venice this past October. We wound up docking in Fusina and were informed less than 2 weeks before embarkation in Barcelona for our Mediterranean Odyssey cruise. We knew it wouldn’t be Venice, but thought it would be Chioggia which as you know is much further than Fusina. We also missed one port (Monaco) due to weather. So I disagree with you that Viking knew and waited to tell you after you paid your deposit. 

I'm not sure where in your description there is anything to support the argument that Viking didn't know the distance from Chioggia to Venice a long time prior to accepting payment for this cruise. Their itinerary lists that we will dock in Chioggia (where is that?). They had to know the time and distance to Venice, but they didn't include that information in any of the Venice excursion descriptions. Finally, they waited to send out the email until there were only a handful of vacancies remaining. So, actually it's not just my deposit. They had something like 900 deposits in hand, and who knows how many full payments. That's either rank stupidity or deception. You choose.

Edited by jc522

13 minutes ago, jc522 said:

I'm not sure where in your description there is anything to support the argument that Viking didn't know the distance from Chioggia to Venice a long time prior to accepting payment for this cruise. Their itinerary lists that we will dock in Chioggia (where is that?). They had to know the time and distance to Venice, but they didn't include that information in any of the Venice excursion descriptions. Finally, they sent out the email after the cruise was completely booked.

Civitavecchia is over an hour from Rome and that’s not mentioned in excursion descriptions either. I always check dock locations with Apple Maps and make decisions accordingly. And maybe  the Venice port will change before you embark. 

• Like 2

You have chosen a very bad period of time in which to cruise.  Just because the cruise lines are up and running does not mean that the rest of the cruise industry is ready to support them and in fact they are not. 

Men and women who made their living in the tourism industry lost their jobs in March, 2022.  Tourguides, bus driver, longshoremen and even management had to find new jobs to support themselves and their families.  They need to eat and pay the rent and they cannot afford to return to the industry until they can be promised full-time employment, if they return at all.  The restart is going much slower than expected. There are too many cruise ships vying for scarce resources. 

At the same time,  ports are taking new stances on cruise ship visits.  Venice closed its canals to cruise ships and all cruise ships must dock in Fusina, Chioggia and even further down the coast. Viking has little control over this.   It is just one in a list ports that have banned or put limits on cruise ship calls. 

This is not a good time to be running a cruise line. Nothing is like it was three years ago. Nothing is anywhere near back to normal. Those who have high expectation and are not willing to go with the flow should strongly consider canceling plans to sail until the entire industry is in a better place.

Depending on the length of the cruise, bookings can be canceled up to 121 days (6 months for cruises of more than ? many days) prior to departure for 100% refund less $100 ($1000)pp. This is spelling out in the passenger ticket contract and the booking terms and conditions documents, links to which appear in the footer of every page on the Viking website.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

Civitavecchia is over an hour from Rome and that’s not mentioned in excursion descriptions either. I always check dock locations with Apple Maps and make decisions accordingly. And maybe  the Venice port will change before you embark. 

I did an Italy cruise on Azamara and they did let you know the travel time from Civitavecchia to Rome.

4 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

You have chosen a very bad period of time in which to cruise.  Just because the cruise lines are up and running does not mean that the rest of the cruise industry is ready to support them and in fact they are not. 

Men and women who made their living in the tourism industry lost their jobs in March, 2022.  Tourguides, bus driver, longshoremen and even management had to find new jobs to support themselves and their families.  They need to eat and pay the rent and they cannot afford to return to the industry until they can be promised full-time employment, if they return at all.  The restart is going much slower than expected. There are too many cruise ships vying for scarce resources. 

At the same time,  ports are taking new stances on cruise ship visits.  Venice closed its canals to cruise ships and all cruise ships must dock in Fusina, Chioggia and even further down the coast. Viking has little control over this.   It is just one in a list ports that have banned or put limits on cruise ship calls. 

This is not a good time to be running a cruise line. Nothing is like it was three years ago. Nothing is anywhere near back to normal. Those who have high expectation and are not willing to go with the flow should strongly consider canceling plans to sail until the entire industry is in a better place.

Depending on the length of the cruise, bookings can be canceled up to 121 days (6 months for cruises of more than ? many days) prior to departure for 100% refund less $100 ($1000)pp. This is spelling out in the passenger ticket contract and the booking terms and conditions documents, links to which appear in the footer of every page on the Viking website.

I just really have to second this.  If you cruise a lot, a long time, or often, you just have to expect changes.  We did the WC in 2019, before Covid.  We missed many, many ports.  Not the least of which was Easter Island,  a bucket list destination, but the tender pier was flooded.  Our dear Captain spent the day circumnavigating the island so we could see the statues and the ponies, from the sea side.  But, they say if you MUST see Easter Island, fly there!  Those who go by ship go by the times and tides.  If you can’t stomach the changes, then go another way.  And, I know, I’ll get a lot of flak for saying this.  Just one woman’s opinion, I guess.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Also Rome, Paris, Berlin and probably a bunch of other ports that I can't think of at the moment.  Before you book a cruise you should always find out where they are really docking and check it out on Google Maps.

DON

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Also Rome, Paris, Berlin and probably a bunch of other ports that I can't think of at the moment.  Before you book a cruise you should always find out where they are really docking and check it out on Google Maps.

DON

Florence is Livorno.  And we aren’t docking in Monte Carlo but Villefranc-sur-mer.  But, the world is our oyster!!  We will enjoy.  

• Like 2

from The NY Times…… 

“Chioggia, Italy

Built on a cluster of islands in the Venetian lagoon, with centuries-old buildings rising from the canals in all their decadent glory, Chioggia is called “piccola Venezia,” or little Venice. Locals beg to disagree: If anything, they say, it’s nearby Venice that should be described as Chioggia’s larger doppelgänger, and it’s true, Chioggia is older. Venice is so worried about being overwhelmed once again after the pandemic that it is planning to resort to surveillance cameras and cellphone data to control the crowds; visiting other culturally rich places like Chioggia can help relieve the pressure. Today, Chioggia is popular with Italian and German visitors, drawn both by the architectural beauties in the historic 

center and the family-friendly beaches of its mainland suburb, Sottomarina. The city, which has preserved a rough maritime vibe, can serve as an ideal base for bicycle tours. It is also known for its radicchio. During a time of increased awareness of overtourism, this miniature Venice is a delightful alternative for travelers looking for a lesser-known destination. 

— Anna Momigliano”

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jasardeax said:

this miniature Venice is a delightful alternative for travelers looking for a lesser-known destination. 

So funny! What if you’re NOT looking for an alternative? 😆 And find out what an ordeal it is to get there? 😝 We’ll see if Viking will transport us as independent travelers spending three days before in the real Venice! 🙃

13 minutes ago, jasardeax said:

Chioggia looks charming. 

It is!  I was there on a 20-person bike/barge tour in 2012.  There were a negligible amount of tourists. Then we ferried/biked up the up the islands.  I fear what the cruise ships will do to this "little Venice."

But, for those of you bemoaning the change of docking location, dont look at it as a negative.  Venice is at its best in the early morning or late night when the hordes have gone.  Not as a day-tripper.  make is a pre/post-trip destination or a destination onto itself.  

Look at the benefits of Chioggia.  Its an hour from Padua (worth a visit), A little over an hour from Ferrara (worth a visit) and for nature lovers, it is just north of the Po river delta (and its parks)..a wonderful place if you are a bird watcher (the flamingos!)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jc522 said:

I did an Italy cruise on Azamara and they did let you know the travel time from Civitavecchia to Rome.

That's one of the reasons we prefer Viking, since all pax are > 18, we are considered and treated like adults and discerning travellers.

Personally, I don't require a cruise line to advise that Rome is not a port and how far Venice is from which ever berth the ship is assigned. May I suggest, if you require this level of assistance from a cruise line, then Viking probably isn't a good fit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jasardeax said:

from The NY Times…… 

“Chioggia, Italy

Built on a cluster of islands in the Venetian lagoon, with centuries-old buildings rising from the canals in all their decadent glory, Chioggia is called “piccola Venezia,” or little Venice. Locals beg to disagree: If anything, they say, it’s nearby Venice that should be described as Chioggia’s larger doppelgänger, and it’s true, Chioggia is older. Venice is so worried about being overwhelmed once again after the pandemic that it is planning to resort to surveillance cameras and cellphone data to control the crowds; visiting other culturally rich places like Chioggia can help relieve the pressure. Today, Chioggia is popular with Italian and German visitors, drawn both by the architectural beauties in the historic 

center and the family-friendly beaches of its mainland suburb, Sottomarina. The city, which has preserved a rough maritime vibe, can serve as an ideal base for bicycle tours. It is also known for its radicchio. During a time of increased awareness of overtourism, this miniature Venice is a delightful alternative for travelers looking for a lesser-known destination. 

— Anna Momigliano”

Thanks for this and also your NYT link. Having spent a lot of time in Venice in the past, we hadn’t planned on visiting again no matter where the Sea docked. Our plan was to catch a train and go elsewhere. But Chioggia looks worthy of more research. Thanks again. 

22 hours ago, Squawkman said:

Just this week we received notice that our expected docking in Chioggia has been changed to Fusina for our cruise in October of 2023. While we were literally on the cruise in April of this year, our final port was changed from Fusina to Ravenna with just days to spare. So yes, there is a good chance things will change.

• Like 2