NCL alcohol changes

brad0576

I am currently on the Joy 14- day Panama Canal cruise - was disappointed when I ordered my first drink yesterday and was told they no longer carry Captain Morgan - and it looks like they cut their liquor offerings significantly for options of tequila too

So be aware the information of what’s included on their website is no longer accurate 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info.  In the long mixed shot thread there was discussion about this.  Then there are the upcharges for drinks now like Baileys and Crown.  Sailed Prima in Haven, ordered a Crown and told $1.00 extra plus 20%.  CLASSY!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dexddd said:

Thanks for the info.  In the long mixed shot thread there was discussion about this.  Then there are the upcharges for drinks now like Baileys and Crown.  Sailed Prima in Haven, ordered a Crown and told $1.00 extra plus 20%.  CLASSY!

That's pathetic!👎

• Like 4

I don't drink Crown, but travel with a friend who exclusively drinks Crown. I can tell you that Crown has been difficult to find across multiple cruise lines including Virgin and Royal. We *only* found it on the pool deck of the MSC Yacht club (and no where else on the ship). I wonder if Crown is reducing it's availability to the industry overall. And yes, we've been on all of these cruise lines within the past 12 months. He's been very cranky.

4 hours ago, dexddd said:

Sailed Prima in Haven, ordered a Crown and told $1.00 extra plus 20%.  CLASSY!

It's still hilarious to me that NCL doesn't give Haven passengers a premium beverage package as part of the stateroom (like Celebrity suites).

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I knew about Bailey's being an upcharge heading into my last cruise. There is  $1 upcharge plus tip for that. I was more shocked to learn that St. Germain is a $5 upcharge plus tip! On what planet does a shot of St. Germain cost $20?!?!?!

That planet is called a the meatpacking district in Manhattan... never an NCL cruise ship. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It seems like NCL is increasing prices on whatever they can. This is probably industry wide, we just sail NCL. We are doing an All Inclusive to Aruba a week before our next sailing to compare the experience and cost of both, and decide which way to travel in the future.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, DaggoB said:

Bailey’s included in premium plus. In the duty free shop on the Bliss last week it was $26 for a liter. Amazing. 

In my local Tesco yesterday it was £10 a litre. So yes the duty free price is amazing, as is the fact they charge $16 for a glass on board.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 5:47 PM, JamieLogical said:

I knew about Bailey's being an upcharge heading into my last cruise. There is  $1 upcharge plus tip for that. I was more shocked to learn that St. Germain is a $5 upcharge plus tip! On what planet does a shot of St. Germain cost $20?!?!?!

Along with the price rise on Crown (which is by no means a premium liquor) and up charges for St Germain and Bailey’s, I wonder if this is the beginning of more of these price up charges on non-premium liquors?

This, in addition to the room service up charge increase, fees on what used to be free (like Putt-Putt on Prima), this sounds like a conscious effort by NCL to raise prices without raising fares, which is what most people look at when comparing cruise lines?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Along with the price rise on Crown (which is by no means a premium liquor) and up charges for St Germain and Bailey’s, I wonder if this is the beginning of more of these price up charges on non-premium liquors?

This, in addition to the room service up charge increase, fees on what used to be free (like Putt-Putt on Prima), this sounds like a conscious effort by NCL to raise prices without raising fares, which is what most people look at when comparing cruise lines?

Yes, the "market to fill" strategy must not be working out so well, so they are looking to more ways to "soak" the unsuspecting customer with fees, up charges, and other possibly unplanned, unbudgeted costs.

12 hours ago, DaggoB said:

Bailey’s included in premium plus. In the duty free shop on the Bliss last week it was $26 for a liter. Amazing. 

Here in the UK it seems all of the major supermarkets are selling Baileys at £10 per litre in the run up to christmas. I get a bottle every time I go (2-3 times per week). At current $ to £ exchange rates that is approx $12 per litre.

12 hours ago, lgrover said:

The Baileys is ridiculous price, imagine a total turnoff to customers who like in their coffee. I would suggest another cruise line to those customers. 

Just beware that if you ask for a shot of Baileys for your coffee, you are likely to get the imposter they have at most of the bars - and they won't tell you.  Hopefully they won't charge your for Baileys.  Might be OK for most people in their coffee, but for me I only use about 1/2 the shot and I drink the rest straight.  I hate that imposter junk.

On encore last month the only bar I saw Baileys in was the A-List, but I didn't do an exhaustive search.

3 minutes ago, mypleasure said:

Here in the UK it seems all of the major supermarkets are selling Baileys at £10 per litre in the run up to christmas. I get a bottle every time I go (2-3 times per week). At current $ to £ exchange rates that is approx $12 per litre.

Not surprised.  I don't think I've ever seen a reasonable liquor price in a ships store, let alone a good deal.

2 minutes ago, MarkusToe said:

On Bliss they don't have Bailys....

Something similar but not the origin....

If you are actually looking for it, check the A-list bar, deck 8 between Cagneys and Los Lobos.  Thats where I found it on Encore a couple weeks ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2022 at 8:33 AM, brad0576 said:

I am currently on the Joy 14- day Panama Canal cruise - was disappointed when I ordered my first drink yesterday and was told they no longer carry Captain Morgan - and it looks like they cut their liquor offerings significantly for options of tequila too

So be aware the information of what’s included on their website is no longer accurate 

Sorry about that. We had captain Morgan last night at the Atrium Bar (Penrose Bar) on the Prima. Probably more of a supply chain problem.