For those that don't auto-gratuity, how do you distribute they money?

Q

What is Royal Caribbean's service gratuities (tips) price and policy?

A

As of September 7th, 2022, the automatic service gratuity of $16.00 USD per person, per day for guests in non-suites staterooms, or $18.50 USD per person, per day for guests in Suites, will be applied to each guest’s SeaPass account on a daily basis. The gratuity applies to individual guests of all ages and stateroom categories. As a way to reward our crew members for their outstanding service, gratuities are shared among dining, bar & culinary services staff, stateroom attendants and other hotel services teams who work behind the scenes to enhance the cruise experience.

In the unlikely event that a guest onboard being charged the daily automatic gratuity does not receive satisfactory service, the guest may request to modify the daily amount at their discretion by visiting Guest Services onboard and will be able to do so until the morning of their departure. Guests who have pre-paid their gratuity will not see a daily charge during their cruise.

The automatic daily gratuity is based on customary industry standards. Applying this charge automatically helps streamline the recognition process for the crew members that work to enhance your cruise. We hope you find the gratuity to be an accurate reflection of your satisfaction and thank you for your generous recognition of our staff.

A 18% gratuity is automatically added to all beverages, mini bar items, and spa & salon purchases.

Guests can pre-pay gratuities by calling 866-562-7625 or logging into www.royalcaribbean.com before* their sailing. For guests booked through travel advisors, their advisor may add pre-paid gratuities to the guests' booking prior to sailing*. If gratuities are not prepaid prior to sailing, they will be automatically added to the guests’ folios once onboard.

*Pre-paid gratuities can be added to an individual reservation at any time outside of 48 hours of the sail date.

no need to tip any more unless you want to.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 5:04 PM, steveru621 said:

Glad you have heard that 'rumor'.  RCI steals all of that tip money.

It's an easy question to ask, and settles the issue:  just ask your cabin steward if he's getting is tips OK with auto-pay.

I would think if RCCL kept the money they would have a MASSIVE class action lawsuit.  

Plus, I've been doing business with RCCLfor 49 years and 2 months now.  I have found them to be, for the most part, pretty honest in dealing with their staff.  I've met people who have worked for the company for 30 years (multiple people).  Just ask the crew.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, pcur said:

It's an easy question to ask, and settles the issue:  just ask your cabin steward if he's getting is tips OK with auto-pay.

I would think if RCCL kept the money they would have a MASSIVE class action lawsuit.  

Plus, I've been doing business with RCCLfor 49 years and 2 months now.  I have found them to be, for the most part, pretty honest in dealing with their staff.  I've met people who have worked for the company for 30 years (multiple people).  Just ask the crew.

It was sarcasm.  Based on a rumor, they probably started.

In 20 years I have found that asking the crew to be useless.  I've asked many times and each time there was a different answer or variation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

It was sarcasm.  Based on a rumor, they probably started.

In 20 years I have found that asking the crew to be useless.  I've asked many times and each time there was a different answer or variation.

In 49 years I've received honest, heartfelt replies from the crew.  If I have a question I tell them WHY I'm asking it.

4 hours ago, pcur said:

OK, IMHO asking someone about their tips and or salary (one and the same) for any reason just seems so wrong and inappropriate. It's not your business what they receive, it's not your business what anyone other then you gives them or doesn't. Directed to all who question staff and other travelers on this subject. 

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

OK, IMHO asking someone about their tips and or salary (one and the same) for any reason just seems so wrong and inappropriate. It's not your business what they receive, it's not your business what anyone other then you gives them or doesn't. Directed to all who question staff and other travelers on this subject. 

The cruise line is "charging" me a optional fee and saying it's going to the crew.  If the crew is getting taken advantage of and 100% is not going to the crew, I want to know.  It's an optional fee.  I don't have to pay it, but I want to pay it if 100% is going to the crew.  Looking out for the crew's welfare seems appropriate to me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mianmike said:

The cruise line is "charging" me a optional fee and saying it's going to the crew.  If the crew is getting taken advantage of and 100% is not going to the crew, I want to know.  It's an optional fee.  I don't have to pay it, but I want to pay it if 100% is going to the crew.  Looking out for the crew's welfare seems appropriate to me. 

I get that. But it's not your job to look out for there welfare. No place on land would you ask/question wait staff about tips and salary. And there are plenty of stories about waiters not receiving all their tips from credit card charges etc. You just wouldn't do it because it's their business, not yours. Just because someone is from a smaller country doesn't make them stupid. They know what they are getting into. They also IMHO deserve the same privacy and dignity as a waiter etc in the states. I can't help but wonder if they might (sometimes) somehow feel treated like they are a little simple on occasion by those going past the line in the name of help. 

And as far as the answer goes. Unless we are there in person going over the books 52 weeks a year, we will never really know. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

I get that. But it's not your job to look out for there welfare. No place on land would you ask/question wait staff about tips and salary. And there are plenty of stories about waiters not receiving all their tips from credit card charges etc. You just wouldn't do it because it's their business, not yours. Just because someone is from a smaller country doesn't make them stupid. They know what they are getting into. They also IMHO deserve the same privacy and dignity as a waiter etc in the states. I can't help but wonder if they might (sometimes) somehow feel treated like they are a little simple on occasion by those going past the line in the name of help. 

And as far as the answer goes. Unless we are there in person going over the books 52 weeks a year, we will never really know. 

I absolutely agree with this.  Do people ask the bus boys at a restaurant if they are getting a percentage of the tips?  Do we ask our waiting staff how much they make?  What about the hotel staff?  It isn't our job to pay their wages.  It is the cruise lines.  If my waiter at a specialty restaurant gives me good service I tip them.  I also tip my room steward after the cruise.  I tip for service once completed.  I let the ship pay their workers the salaries they agreed to when they signed their work contract.  

Edited by jean87510
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Absolutely, I would never be so rude and nosey to ask someone about their income. If someone asked me about mine, I would tell them right where to go.

I leave the auto gratuities on mostly because I do not want to have to think about it. Also because I do not own a cruise line, or assume that I know better than the cruise line on how to take care of their employees.🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

Absolutely, I would never be so rude and nosey to ask someone about their income. If someone asked me about mine, I would tell them right where to go.

I leave the auto gratuities on mostly because I do not want to have to think about it. Also because I do not own a cruise line, or assume that I know better than the cruise line on how to take care of their employees.🤷‍♂️

So, what have you really made in 2022? While we are at it, 2021 and 2020 also. 

Yours Truly,

T. Gouger, Acting Commissioner of IRS

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

So, what have you really made in 2022? While we are at it, 2021 and 2020 also. 

Yours Truly,

T. Gouger, Acting Commissioner of IRS

LOL.. umm not enough. I think my employer is taking some of my paycheck and keeping it for themselves, so please send any extra money you can. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

Your scenario would have merit if the land based charged a pre determined amount to your bill before services were received.  As it is, you are comparing apples and oranges.  It's not about the n=money, it is about the secret arbitrary system

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

LOL.. umm not enough. I think my employer is taking some of my paycheck and keeping it for themselves, so please send any extra money you can. 😉

I'll pass you request to S. Clause, and E. Bunny, they are in another department.

The IRS is like the Hotel California;

"We are programmed to receive

You can check out any time you like
But your money can never leave" 🎶

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Your scenario would have merit if the land based charged a pre determined amount to your bill before services were received.  As it is, you are comparing apples and oranges.  It's not about the n=money, it is about the secret arbitrary system

I stand by the rest. They may be from small countries, but still are adults. They know what they are getting into and agreed to it. They are not stupid or simple and deserve privacy and dignity. And unless we pour over the books 52 weeks a year we are never going to be sure who is getting what. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BennyandBo said:

I stand by the rest. They may be from small countries, but still are adults. They know what they are getting into and agreed to it. They are not stupid or simple and deserve privacy and dignity. And unless we pour over the books 52 weeks a year we are never going to be sure who is getting what. 

I agree, this is why i don't play their game, cash in hand make me comfortable

• Like 5

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

.  It's not about the n=money, it is about the secret arbitrary system

It's always about the money.  But Royal Caribbean tells you a suggested tip, they publish in general how it's broken down, and clearly state the amount is within industry standards.  So how do you conclude it's a "secret arbitrary system?"

As for me, here's how I answer the questions:

1. Q.How much do crew make?

A. NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

2. Q. How do they break up tips?

A. SEE ANSWER FOR QUESTION 1.

3. Q. How much extra do you tip?

A. SEE ANSWER FOR QUESTION 1

ALL OTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT CREW PAY, ETC....

SEE ANSWER FOR QUESTION 1.

You have ONE responsibility on a cruise.... that is to have a good cruise.  So mind your business and HAVE A GOOD CRUISE!

Edited by papaflamingo

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

And for parties of 6 or more, automatically added gratuities are pretty common.

1 hour ago, papaflamingo said:

It's always about the money.  But Royal Caribbean tells you a suggested tip, they publish in general how it's broken down, and clearly state the amount is within industry standards.  So how do you conclude it's a "secret arbitrary system?"

As for me, here's how I answer the questions:

1. Q.How much do crew make?

A. NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS

2. Q. How do they break up tips?

A. SEE ANSWER FOR QUESTION 1.

3. Q. How much extra do you tip?

A. SEE ANSWER FOR QUESTION 1

ALL OTHER QUESTIONS ABOUT CREW PAY, ETC....

SEE ANSWER FOR QUESTION 1.

You have ONE responsibility on a cruise.... that is to have a good cruise.  So mind your business and HAVE A GOOD CRUISE!

Show me where it states where the money goes?

As long as it says "Other personnel" then it is arbitrary and I will not participate.

I have NEVER advocated questioning the staff in any way, I am not sure why you brought that up in a reply to me

You do you

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 3

On 12/7/2022 at 6:57 PM, HappyTexan44 said:

Well, the rumor wasn't that they were stealing all of it.   But, that they weren't passing on all of it.  

My original thought was just to cash tip.   Then I talked myself into the auto-gratuities for the same reasons as mentioned here.   Then the rumor that they don't all get the money.  

I would have thought that this would be something at least people did and could give some suggested amounts.  

Suggested amounts, (actual amounts I tipped on a very recent 14-day cruise)

Butler - $75 (RARELY used his services)

Room Steward - $225 (incredible service and hard working)

Head Waiter - $280 (simply the BEST)

Asst. Waiter - $210 (simply the second BEST)

Maitre d' - $40 each (there were 2)

Misc. - of course out and about everyday there were incidental tips for beverages, buffet, WC attendants.

It NEVER occurs to me to remove the auto-grats either, if you look at the amounts in totality, pretty easy math to conclude once they are divied up among all of the staff they are a pittance.  

• Like 2

I feel like customary tipping is some sort of "bragging right of passage" - more and more I'm noticing that those who strongly defend it also want to brag about just how good they are at it. I've even caught myself doing it once or twice (especially bragging about tips I give to bartenders!) - I think from now on I will not brag about tipping as it doesn't contribute to the age-old question of "Should I"

So I think, yes, you should tip for services rendered if you feel you received a level of service that's aligned with your vision for said experience.

If you like to leave auto-grats enabled, and leave your cash at home, I fully support you!

If you like to leave auto-grats enabled, AND tip left and right, all day every day, I fully support you!

If you like to remove auto-grats and do it yourself, you're allowed and I fully support you.

• Like 5

My recent 7 night cruise, I tipped as follows (after removing the auto gratuities)

Room steward - $100 

Waiter - $35 (Would have given $50, but we only went to the MDR four times)

Assistant waiter - $35 (as above)

Head waiter - $20

Two best bartenders got $20 each.

That’s $230 total and the auto gratuities would have been $224 for two adults, so I basically tipped the correct amount but directed it towards the staff who actually served me. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1