Can Anyone Help Us Get from Civitavecchia to a hotel in Rome? Help!

Minnesota Rookie

My wife and I are taking a Transatlantic Cruise from NY to Rome in April, our first Transatlantic. We then have a day on our own and then a land tour starting on the following day from Rome. So we need to get from Civitavecchia to a hotel downtown to stay over for an extra day to start the land tour the next day. Being elderly, and never having been in Rome, not speaking the language, and knowing nothing about anything, we are a bit terrified about how to get from the ship to whatever hotel in Rome that the land tour will be starting in (we hope to find out the right hotel for the start of the land tour as soon as possible). We thought that either the cruise line (Norwegian) or the land tour (Trafalgar) would give us some help, but nada from either, since we don't fit into their usual routine of going to or coming from the airport immediately before or immediately after the experiences. Anyone know the way from the port to the city and can give us some help to get there? Thanks! 

Basically there are two ways in to Rome - train from Civi or car service.

Train is much cheaper but is more work, especially with luggage, and may be too much for you as you call yourself elderly.

A car service of some sort should take you from the ship to your Rome hotel but is fairly costly - I don't know what the current pricing is but if you go over to the Ports of Call section as suggested you should find recommendations and probably price info.

A possible third option that may work out cheaper altho' that depends on NCL pricing is to take an NCL transfer to the airport (check which airport, there are two) and then a taxi into Rome - the taxi will still be fairly expensive but it's worth exploring that option as the airports are quite a bit closer to Rome than Civi.

P.S. at a quick glance over to the Ports of Call, Rome Cabs seem to come highly recommended:

https://www.romecabs.com/contact-us.html

There does appear to be a fixed taxi rate from Fiumicino airport (the main one, FCO) into Rome.

But do your own research to find the solution that suits you best!

Edited by jollyjones

And there is a fourth way...flat rate taxi. I believe the current rate is 50 euros. The private car service, like the very frequently recommended Rome in Limo, will be a bit more expensive...70 or 80 euros.

The Italy board:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

The vast majority of people in Italy, particularly in busy tourist areas, speak more than adequate English. Most of the signage at the airport will be in English, or with easily read symbols.

The OP is trying to get from Civitavecchia to Rome. I would not in any way recommend going to the airport first -- it is certainly not "much closer" to Rome than Civi -- maybe "a bit closer" would be a good description.

OP:  Given what you've said, I would look at a private transfer from the port directly to your hotel. The process of disembarking is pretty painless in Civitavecchia, there is no process for customs or passport control (assuming your previous port was in the EU). You will just walk off the ship and find your luggage, then head outside where your transfer will wait for you at an agreed-upon time. 

For two people, a PRIVATE (e.g., just your party) transfer into Rome will cost between 120 and 150 euros, depending on what company you use. Two that have steller reputations for at least 10 years or more are Rome In Limo and Rome Cabs -- look for more info on them on these Ports of Call boards for Italy -- where your question will likely be moved.

The other option is a SHARED PRIVATE shuttle. These are also easy to manage, pick you up in the same area, but they may also arrange to pick up additional passengers from your sailing or even from a different ship in port. They will deliver each set of passengers (usually no more than 6-8 total) to their individual hotel. You do not have to make the arrangements for others. The fare is cheaper -- usually 75 to 90 euros per couple (or for a solo -- ouch).  The only downside is that the transfer may take a bit more time if your hotel is last.  I tend to go the route of the shared private shuttles and have used a couple of them from Civi in many transfers to and from the port with no problem.

The train is a cumbersome process involving either a shuttle and a long walk with luggage to the station, or a shuttle then a bus to the station, plus getting from the Rome train station to your hotel somehow. I would not recommend it if you are not a) in fair physical condition and b) pack relatively light.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've used Bob's Limo twice with good results.  Once to get to the ship from the airport--we paid for a shared ride, but had the car to ourselves, and once a shared ride to the airport.  They will of course take you to your hotel in Rome as well.

Both times worked out just fine and the shared ride with four others was good too.  Prices weren't bad, but I'm sure they have risen because this was some years ago.

We have also taken the train into Rome, walking to the station with our luggage--mid 60's at the time and it was a little challenging, due to stairs and just the unfamiliarity of the process, but we managed.  Now, at 77, not sure I would do it, especially the walk to the station.  But then it was a great, if 'interesting' experience.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

"Transfers" are, in my opinion, a very important item.  I will economize on something else if necessary in order to have a smooth experience.  The last thing we want at the beginning and the end of a trip is worry about getting wherever we need to go.  In addition, I encourage you to learn some basic Italian words before you leave home ... the locals always appreciate the effort.  

OP, Minnesota Rookie...the above Cruise Critic members are some of the best and most experieced...and we could always count on them to provide the  most accurate, and most reliable infomation.

Just some random thoughts:

* Join your roll call.

* Civitavecchia is about an hour from Rome.

* We also would discourage you from using the train (being elderly and your first time to Rome).

* Try booking the same hotel used by Trafalgar...if not, a hotel nearby.

* Pickpockets...just be careful. (I backpacked all over Europe almost 40 years ago...cruised to Rome again earlier this year.....pickpockets.)

* When using a private or shared service, make sure the car or shuttle can pick you up at shipside...there's a few services who can't drive next to the ship.

* Please, please...pack smart and light.

Happy sailing and safe travels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many of us on this board use Stefano's Rome Cabs.  

Here is a link to their transfers page:

https://www.romecabs.com/transferservice/civitavecchia/

You also have the option to add some sightseeing on the way to your hotel:

https://www.romecabs.com/post-cruise-tours-civitavecchia/

They will pick you up at the ship's side and deliver you safely to your hotel.

You don't say if your land tour includes sightseeing in Rome or if it takes you elsewhere right away.  See what their offerings are before deciding what to do on the day "on your own." For that day I would recommend that you look at the many ideas on this board.  Most importantly, if you wish to visit the Vatican Museums or the Colosseum, you should buy your tickets on their websites as soon as they become available, or else, book them now through a reputable tour company (for example, Context Travel).  This could be the best option for you.  Have Rome Cabs take you to your hotel and then, have a tour with whichever company you choose.  Make sure it is not just a drive-by tour, but that you actually visit the attractions.

Edited by marazul

Absolutely join the roll call for your sailing to find others to share a private van into the city, you will certainly not be the only ones heading into town after your cruise.

As for the train, while it is cumbersome even with the new elevators at the Civitavecchia station and I don't recommend it in your situation, I don't agree with the characterization that it is very crowded and standing room only "most times".  The regionales are during commuting hours, as public transportation is everywhere, but at other times of the day it's an easy and inexpensive way to travel.  For a higher fare (10 euro vs. 5 for the regionales) you can have an assigned seat in a newer, nicer high speed train, eliminating the crowding and no seat concerns.  

• 5 weeks later...

All good suggestions. Here is one.

We booked SIT bus to go to Rome Termini station for 16 euros per person. After coming out of the port(shuttle) with luggage, bus will be there. They will help with luggage.  

Need to take taxi to our hotel, may be under 8 euros only from Termini station.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 6:19 AM, Minnesota Rookie said:

My wife and I are taking a Transatlantic Cruise from NY to Rome in April, our first Transatlantic. We then have a day on our own and then a land tour starting on the following day from Rome. So we need to get from Civitavecchia to a hotel downtown to stay over for an extra day to start the land tour the next day. Being elderly, and never having been in Rome, not speaking the language, and knowing nothing about anything, we are a bit terrified about how to get from the ship to whatever hotel in Rome that the land tour will be starting in (we hope to find out the right hotel for the start of the land tour as soon as possible). We thought that either the cruise line (Norwegian) or the land tour (Trafalgar) would give us some help, but nada from either, since we don't fit into their usual routine of going to or coming from the airport immediately before or immediately after the experiences. Anyone know the way from the port to the city and can give us some help to get there? Thanks! 

If on NCL Breakaway, we are on the same cruise. We used Stefano's Rome Cabs for transfers to/from Civitavecchia and our Rome hotel before and after a Mediterranean cruise in 2022 and highly recommend them. Very easy. Just disembark and look for a driver holding a sign with your name on it. We plan to use them again in April.

Thanks Bobkli19 and boilermaker330! (Boilermaker--we are on the same cruise as you!) These are certainly solid options. Now we have to figure out how we are going to choose! We are also looking at a group shuttle. Our hotel looks like it is only about 2 blocks from the Termini, if I am reading the map correctly so we can easily walk from there.