Canned water on Vision of the seas

I recently returned from a cruise on Vision of the Sea. When i entered my room the bottled water that I requested was in cans.  I ask for bottled water and was told that canned water is replacing bottled water fleet wide.   No more purchasing bottled water when going ashore.   Has anyone experienced this on another ship?

I am cruising on Jewel of Seas Jan 6 and wondering if bottled water will be available.  

1 hour ago, eastcoastcruisers said:

Has anyone experienced this on another ship?

I am cruising on Jewel of Seas Jan 6 and wondering if bottled water will be available.  

Availability of either varies across the fleet, but in general RCI is heading toward cans. Several ships may still have bottles depending on supply.

We had cans on Adventure in January, then bottles on Wonder in March.  Then bottles on Enchantment in April, and Explorer in September.  Just finishing a B2B on Brilliance.  Was disappointed to find cans on the first leg.  Second leg we have bottles!  

I would have been upset about the canned water but after reading this post by @chengkp75I'll never buy water onboard again. (meaning it'll be water from the bathroom tap, a Brita, and our refillable bottles).

"The water in the sink tap in your cabin bathroom is the exact same water used everywhere on the ship.  There is only one system.  The only difference is that water dispensers in the dining venues, bars, and ice makers have a carbon filter to remove the residual chlorine.  CDC mandates that there is a residual chlorine at every point on the ship, and this is constantly monitored and the chlorine dosage adjusted continually to keep this residual.  Your municipality chlorinates at the plant, and then as the water travels the pipes, and sits in the pipes until needed, the chlorine dissipates, so you likely have no residual chlorine in your house.  The ship's water recirculation allows this residual to be maintained.  Sure, you can bring a Brita, or you can fill a plain pitcher with water and let it sit out in the cabin, or in the fridge, uncovered, and the chlorine will dissipate and the taste improve.  The reason the ship's equipment has filters is that the chlorine can cause scale formation in the equipment, so removing it simplifies maintenance."

• "
Edited by Mapleleafforever

My objection: cans cannot be recapped.  I’m comfortable with the quality of the tap water in the ship.  DH and like to have several screw top bottles to refill/reuse during the cruise.  We refill bottles at our own sink, not at a public venue.  We carry (refilled) bottles with us as needed. We’ll have a couple in the frig/chiller (sometimes we shake in a package of water enhancer- that’s not so convenient with a can of water) for a cool drink on a warm day. The nightstands are much smaller than home, so a capped water bottle is a better choice than a glass (or can) of water on the small nightstand (with the phone). No spills with a capped bottle.  

We try to pack light; we really don’t want to pack multiple water bottles.  Still, if we do start bringing our own bottled water because Royal is providing cans, Royal will have to dispose of the cans they provide as well as the bottles we bring on board.

We got a lot of use out of the 4 bottles that were previously in our cabin; we get minimal use from 4 cans.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, eastcoastcruisers said:

I recently returned from a cruise on Vision of the Sea. When i entered my room the bottled water that I requested was in cans.  I ask for bottled water and was told that canned water is replacing bottled water fleet wide.   No more purchasing bottled water when going ashore.   Has anyone experienced this on another ship?

Had Cans on Jewel on 5 Cruises this yr, but small unbranded ones on Serenade. Prefer Evian larger Bottles but at least these are cheaper

Edited by ONECRUISER

• 3 weeks later...

I’m leaving my water orders but will remember to bring bottles on board with me to transfer it into.  We used to bring our own reusable ones but found they take up a lot of room in the carry on and if we put them In our checked bags we’d have to go the naughty area to prove they were empty.  

On 12/14/2022 at 8:26 AM, eastcoastcruisers said:

No way to know in advance.  As I mentioned we had cans on first leg of my B2B on Brilliance.  Bottles on the second leg.  No problem bringing your own onboard.  On turnaround day I went to Publix and got a case of Dasani, and brought back (only to find 4 bottles waiting for me LOL).  I did bring a refillable bottle with me but for some reason the tap water tasted funny on BR.  And the 12 oz cans don’t go as far as the bottles.  On NV in a couple weeks and I’ll bring a case with me.  

On 12/14/2022 at 4:14 PM, Starry Eyes said:

We try to pack light; we really don’t want to pack multiple water bottles.  Still, if we do start bringing our own bottled water because Royal is providing cans, Royal will have to dispose of the cans they provide as well as the bottles we bring on board.

Get a collapsible bottle that you can cap.  We've been using them for running for quite a while, and they are easily small enough to travel with.  Then you can fill them with a can of water, or by using a glass at a public water dispenser.

(we travel light, too- with carry on only bags)