LIVE from the Koningsdam Holiday Sailing - Dec. 17th - Jan 7th - exploring my first Pinnacle Class ship 🤞

kazu

We are starting to dock in Ensanada.  I knew it was an industrial port we dock at and it sure is.  

They said it was a “short” walk to the main part - hmmmm - not sure how “short” it is from where I am looking.

We’ll give it a shot though 😉 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Same here and same on the Oosterdam we sailed a few weeks ago.

Gosh, that's a shame if they aren't doing tea anymore. (I think I saw that correctly -- a sea day itinerary you posted, with no tea.)  The teas are always well-attended. We have a tea date set for our cruise.  Guess it's on to Plan B.  :classic_sad:

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Hope it's the 29 Dec segment! Would like to be there to throw confetti at you ! 🙂 We're 38 days shy of the gold

HAL Mariner Society medals.JPG

I think I need a  Refresher on the number of days,  I know bronze is 100 on board days 🤷‍♀️

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, kazu said:

We are starting to dock in Ensanada.  I knew it was an industrial port we dock at and it sure is.  

They said it was a “short” walk to the main part - hmmmm - not sure how “short” it is from where I am looking.

We’ll give it a shot though 😉 

Be careful with the walk.  It's not far to walk to some shops, but with your foot...tough.  And be careful -- no smooth sidewalks there!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Gosh, that's a shame if they aren't doing tea anymore. (I think I saw that correctly -- a sea day itinerary you posted, with no tea.)  The teas are always well-attended. We have a tea date set for our cruise.  Guess it's on to Plan B.  :classic_sad:

I know I saw people lined up for the MDR high tea the other sea day.

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

I think I need a  Refresher on the number of days,  I know bronze is 100 on board days 🤷‍♀️

Bronze - 100 days, silver - 300 days and gold - 500 days at sea I believe.

No idea how far I am away from Gold - suspect it’s a ways 😂 

1 minute ago, AncientWanderer said:

Be careful with the walk.  It's not far to walk to some shops, but with your foot...tough.  And be careful -- no smooth sidewalks there!

I will be careful - never fear.  We didn’t get any info on this port strangely.  Cristano is pretty sure there is a shuttle - hope so.  That will solve my problem.   

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

I know I saw people lined up for the MDR high tea the other sea day.

Bronze - 100 days, silver - 300 days and gold - 500 days at sea I believe.

No idea how far I am away from Gold - suspect it’s a ways 😂 

I will be careful - never fear.  We didn’t get any info on this port strangely.  Cristano is pretty sure there is a shuttle - hope so.  That will solve my problem.   

Thank you.,  I’m saddened that the silvers weren’t called up,  seems worth celebrating.  We helped celebrate when a friend got her gold!   Hope you get to as well!  

• Like 6

Arriving I could hear what I was sure were seals.

On the aft at the Sea View Pool, I struggled

59053C13-F946-49B6-92FE-DB95BC730A54.thumb.jpeg.4d10ed4b2dc900970c633409b9190661.jpeg

Couldn’t get it on that one and you have to look for the circle - that’s the seal.  He was swimming under water and kept sticking part of himself out. Couldn’t shoot fast enough though.  This is one time I needed DD DH and his fancy cameras 😉 

849DFBD1-96F8-45ED-9FE5-1CC2855B10E2.thumb.jpeg.0fe9a882e974fe15a74b75a07653ef75.jpeg

• Like 13

Looking for words of advice for turn around day please?

They are treating my B2B2B as a collectors’ cruise which is great.  But, this is the first time I have had a turnaround day in the U.S. My others have been in other countries where the ship didn’t have to go to 0 count and they gave us a little card so that we could skip the embarkation line and just to straight to security.

I don’t have such a card - I can get off if I want but then I have to wait until boarding time to get back on - that’s ok but I don’t want to stand in those lines again.  I’m going to double check at guest services but assuming I do have to stand in line - am I better off to just stay on and go with those staying on for immigration.  The letter says the process takes about an hour.  Seems like a PITA and I’m better off getting off IF I can avoid that long line.

• Like 8

Everyone is chomping at the bit to get off.  We’ve been here for about 1/2 hour - early - but no announcement.  I’ll wait until the rush is over - LOL.

oops edited to say - the announcement was just made - the hordes are making their way to disembark.

We’re here until late so there’s lots of time.  I just need to be back on board and cleaned up in time for dinner here:

B989FC14-270F-4EA8-A277-F1422C6309DC.thumb.jpeg.3b92815855f9020e3f5409f4b8be8e74.jpeg

69D72888-56BF-4AAE-9320-32C302C425CD.thumb.jpeg.ce0aaa601b39771da745033c524bbe6a.jpeg

14771A18-5918-4C62-ADDD-C4BC808AFF96.thumb.jpeg.77fc893a86ab6f8dcb6b72e5792f4b23.jpeg

• Like 14

39 minutes ago, kazu said:

No tiles on this cruise and I suspect many sailing for a bit will not get them.  If you want them, you need to save this note and take it on your next cruise:

FE5D0CDE-61F2-43BB-A2BF-881969E12FAA.thumb.jpeg.53b6532bc95ad0e3f9197611b2674f52.jpeg

This is the current Royal Goedewagen tegel /tile for the Pinnacle class - This latest series came out in 2021/2022 and depict sea monsters below the ship class. The corner ornamentations refer to the crown of the Statue of Liberty in New York. The crown consists of seven points symbolizing the seven continents and oceans. I haven't seen them being handed out yet however

nieuw-1a-300x300.jpg

nieuw-6-298x300.jpg

The remaining two "R"-class ships

nieuw-3-297x300.jpg

The Vista class

nieuw-2-300x300.jpg

The Signature class

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

This is the current Royal Goedewagen tegel /tile for the Pinnacle class - This latest series came out in 2021/2022 and depict sea monsters below the ship class. The corner ornamentations refer to the crown of the Statue of Liberty in New York. The crown consists of seven points symbolizing the seven continents and oceans. I haven't seen them being handed out yet however

nieuw-1a-300x300.jpg

nieuw-6-298x300.jpg

The remaining two "R"-class ships

nieuw-3-297x300.jpg

The Vista class

nieuw-2-300x300.jpg

The Signature class

We actually received this tile on the Rotterdam transatlantic in April.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

Looking for words of advice for turn around day please?

Just a suggestion. A good way to see San Diego is via the Old Town Trolley which is basically a hop on/hop off ride. You don't have to get off and instead stay on/seated for your ill foot, and complete the circuit. The closest stop by the B-Street cruise terminal is right in front, Stop C on the map

https://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego?phta=sdtrolleylocal&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-oqdBhDfARIsAO0TrGFh6WlJjD-u5V-aYM6NIQpWOhS1mlRoaVDYARqaaxLRoVk1EqpXRqIaAl1nEALw_wcB#map-section

https://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/map

Old Town Trolley Tours of San Diego Inc - The Official Travel Resource for  the San Diego Region

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Loyalty pins are awarded for 2-Star, 3-Star, 4-Star and 5-Star Mariners. In addition, we recognize our most loyal Mariners through the awarding of a special medallion — a Bronze Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 100 days, Silver Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 300 days, Gold Medallion for guests achieving 500 days, and our highest level Platinum Medallion for those guests who have joined us for 700 or more days. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Jacqui - So glad you will have dinner at Rudi's tonight. You will love it!  My stepfather 

and I ate there on the NS in August. I recommend the Dover sole and Crepes Suzzette,

but I'm sure everything there is great.  I can't remember what my stepfather had, 

but he enjoyed it. Waitress was attentive and she deboned my sole at the table. 

I bought Rudi's cookbook.  Enjoy!

• Like 1

For what it's worth a couple I met at breakfast, had done several B2Bs since October and they only got off once. Apparently, you can't get back on until 11:30 and must go through security with everyone else and then are allowed to bypass the new passengers waiting to board. 

@kazu are the little fingerfood snacks at Billboard Lunge still offered at the little buffet? And some sailaway snacks on embarkation day during sailaway and snacks to drinks at the bars? Is there any tea time served? Because I do not see it in the daily programs, even not on days at sea.

Edited by shipfriend_max

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Arriving I could hear what I was sure were seals.

This is where the sea lions hang out sunning themselves,

B42FB090791-R.jpg.b9f549a4df6d37eb39403685da9347ac.jpg

After docking you should be able to walk to the end of your ship and get lots of pictures.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

We received them on the Rotterdam last July and I received 4 of them on the Nieuw Statendam in October.  I asked my room steward about them and mentioned we had never gotten our tiles for our cruise a year ago, so he made up for it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, kazu said:

And before I forget - a little comment on the kids this week.

It was dressy/Gala night the other night and while some people may have not passed the fashion police muster, I saw the nicest most beautifully dressed family.  the young boys were dressed in suits and bow ties and the girl had on the sweetest dress.  They looked adorable.  So reminded me of @1of4’s beautiful family and children

Thanks so much Jacqui.  We really enjoyed getting dressed for dinner and having portraits taken on the old formal nights.  Best travel souvenir ever!

Here are a few from the archive 😁

1C306604-A0B1-437D-B782-B5FC598B0BEF.jpeg

B354C964-AE74-4CF0-B6AC-0774217DFAC3.jpeg

3747B9C8-87EE-4119-B573-BCEF68E56E05.jpeg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

For what it's worth a couple I met at breakfast, had done several B2Bs since October and they only got off once. Apparently, you can't get back on until 11:30 and must go through security with everyone else and then are allowed to bypass the new passengers waiting to board. 

Thanks - I asked at the Front Desk and she said there was a special line for in transit passengers.  All I have to do is tell the person at the door I am in transit.  I hope she didn’t mean the special line like I saw for 4* + and CO members.  There is something I need which I couldn’t find in Ensenada that I now think would help.  

Now, I am re-thinking.  I guess I will decide tomorrow. LOL.

1 hour ago, shipfriend_max said:

@kazu are the little fingerfood snacks at Billboard Lunge still offered at the little buffet?

I haven’t seen them but I might not be there the right time.  What time are they normally served and I will try to look for you.

And some sailaway snacks on embarkation day during sailaway and snacks to drinks at the bars?

There are indeed sail a way snacks and they were quite decent on our last sail a way.  I suspect it should be the same tomorrow.  I’ll post if I am in error.

The only snacks I’ve seen on occasion are peanuts.  And they are not the “good” ones 😉 

Is there any tea time served? Because I do not see it in the daily programs, even not on days at sea.

There were definitely people lined up at the MDR door on our last sea day.  They said they were waiting for the doors to open for tea.  I will double check on our sea day.  

I wonder if they are treating it like the lunch in the MDR on embarkation day?  They were sending everyone to the Lido.  When I asked about the MDR they said deck 9.  And, I know for a fact it was open.  I checked once I got out of the mob 😉 

• Like 8