Sun Princess - Original

nasa1974

Having caught up on all the posts since the cancellation, my recommendation to Princess would be to be more open about what has happened because the rumours will continue snowballing:

By the way, my cabin steward on the Discovery Princess said the new Sun Princess is going to be sold for scrap because they fitted the wrong type of toilet paper holders in the Sky Suites 🤔🤣🙄

• Haha 16

1 minute ago, Geoffa30 said:

Having caught up on all the posts since the cancellation, my recommendation to Princess would be to be more open about what has happened because the rumours will continue snowballing:

By the way, my cabin steward on the Discovery Princess said the new Sun Princess is going to be sold for scrap because they fitted the wrong type of toilet paper holders in the Sky Suites 🤔🤣🙄

I totally agree.  By being purposely vague they open themselves up to all sorts of speculation.  Not a good thing but they brought it on themselves.  

Give your customers some credit.  They can handle the truth and I think most would welcome it.  Being transparent and forthcoming is almost always the best policy.  For me at least it garners respect.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, eroller said:

I totally agree.  By being purposely vague they open themselves up to all sorts of speculation.  Not a good thing but they brought it on themselves.  

Give your customers some credit.  They can handle the truth and I think most would welcome it.  Being transparent and forthcoming is almost always the best policy.  For me at least it garners respect.  

Absolutely! I believe people would rather know sooner than later what is happening to avoid any surprises or costs that may be associated with a cancellation! 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

FWIW, we have two very good friends that have been onboard for the past month.  Last week, they both advised that there was no way the ship would be ready to sail on the 18th.  Why management waited this long to cancel is very interesting! 🤔

Are they still onboard? One story in Italian media today suggested crew were being disembarked.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

WOW....     Just wow.....

Yes...   when serious legal and health liabilities are involved.....

Hide, and deny,  at ALL costs....

Now it comes down to 'censorship'.   Seriously...

I wish the price-point between Princess and other lines like Viking was not so huge now...

which totally puts it beyond our pay-grade....

I would be seriously considering the cancellation of bookings with Princess Corp.  as in TODAY.

FWIW, I did a full assessment of the costs comparing a Princess Mini-suite with Viking Junior Suite and because so many things are included in the Viking fare it was actually almost the same final price per person per day (if you include the Plus package, excursions, thermal suite access, etc). The main drawbacks for us currently are that the deposits are much higher and the final payment is due much sooner. And I've heard it's hard to get money back from Viking if you do have to cancel. But we're pretty close to making that switch anyway even though I finally hit Elite status with Princess. It just means we would have to save up in advance versus being able to book a year or more out and make payments over time.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, eroller said:

But can shareholders of Carnival Corporation? 

Someone in their PR department needs to school Princess executives on public relations basics. It’s some of the first steps you learn when addressing crisis communications and management. 

Number one rule - BE HONEST. Treat your customers with the respect they deserve and trust them with the truth, no matter how difficult  it may be. 

Number two rule - Be transparent in your communication. Share what you know when you know and be open to questions, even those you may not be prepared to answer yet. 

Number three rule - Demonstrate you care because you SHOULD care. Go above and beyond to address issues and concerns that are a result of a problem YOUR company has created for people. It’s your job as the company to fix the mess you have made.

This is the very basic, minimal approach and Princess is failing at every level. Ultimately you can’t hide from the truth and it never helps your bottom line to hide your head in the sand and take the trust and loyalty of your customers for granted. 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

But no one received 50% off of a future cruise. They receive a 50% future cruise credit. If their base cruise fair was $2000, then they received a $1000 future cruise credit, not 50% off of a future cruise.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but we are first time cruisers. Can we spend the future cruise credit on another cruise, if we book onboard? Or should I start eyeing up bags and shoes?

5 minutes ago, BeechCat said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but we are first time cruisers. Can we spend the future cruise credit on another cruise, if we book onboard? Or should I start eyeing up bags and shoes?

On board credit, or OBC, is spent onboard. 

Future Cruise credit, or FCC, is spent on a future cruise. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Someone in their PR department needs to school Princess executives on public relations basics. It’s some of the first steps you learn when addressing crisis communications and management. 

Number one rule - BE HONEST. Treat your customers with the respect they deserve and trust them with the truth, no matter how difficult  it may be. 

Number two rule - Be transparent in your communication. Share what you know when you know and be open to questions, even those you may not be prepared to answer yet. 

Number three rule - Demonstrate you care because you SHOULD care. Go above and beyond to address issues and concerns that are a result of a problem YOUR company has created for people. It’s your job as the company to fix the mess you have made.

This is the very basic, minimal approach and Princess is failing at every level. Ultimately you can’t hide from the truth and it never helps your bottom line to hide your head in the sand and take the trust and loyalty of your customers for granted. 

I completely agree.  Unfortunately there have been several times since the restart that they have failed to do this and instead treat their customers like mushrooms.  I would also say that they need to ensure that their CSRs are able to respond effectively to questions from customers and provide them with quick, accurate information.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, SCX22 said:

JP is to busy trying to get his pet project, the Medallion Class Experience, to work.  He really doesn't care about Princess as a brand.  He wants to prove to his ex-employer, Disney, that they were wrong to let him go.

Maybe he can get his old job back:

image.jpeg.289b567938083d69bcedb66b6239d623.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 10

22 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Well said. It feels like Princess is going the way of B L.  Did they hire that marketing “genius “?

35 minutes ago, sfoh said:

Are they still onboard? One story in Italian media today suggested crew were being disembarked.

Yes, they are still there and will remain for the 28th sailing (if it goess?).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fuge said:

An Italian website says that the technical problem concerns the drinking water system, where traces of diesel fuel were found.

https://www.rainews.it/tgr/fvg/articoli/2024/02/gasolio-nellimpianto-dellacqua-la-sun-princess-non-parte-fincantieri-monfalcone-a826b6c1-354d-494f-bc6b-cdb93eded4e7.html

Um... ew!

• Like 1

I see on their social media pages, Princess has stated that they have taken possession of the Sun.  They also show a video of some of the interior & crew, from staterooms to restaurants. The discuss working hard to get it ready for the next sailing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, rheathslc said:

FWIW, I did a full assessment of the costs comparing a Princess Mini-suite with Viking Junior Suite and because so many things are included in the Viking fare it was actually almost the same final price per person per day (if you include the Plus package, excursions, thermal suite access, etc). The main drawbacks for us currently are that the deposits are much higher and the final payment is due much sooner. And I've heard it's hard to get money back from Viking if you do have to cancel. But we're pretty close to making that switch anyway even though I finally hit Elite status with Princess. It just means we would have to save up in advance versus being able to book a year or more out and make payments over time.

We had a horrible experience with the first Viking Ocean cruise ship years ago. Engine failure on their fourth cruise left us in Estonia for four days, less than a week into a 14 day cruise. They couldn’t fix the ship, we were finally given a few hours notice to pack and get off the ship late on a rainy night. Those of us who booked air with them had no power to rebook our flights. Our premium economy seats ended up being middle seats in economy for a 12 hour flight. East Coast passengers ended up on a chartered freight plane. We found out that no insurance company covered the mechanical failure of the ship, that it was the ship’s responsibility to make it right. Viking was horrible to work with, just prorated a refund for our missing ports and we had to fight to get that. Learned a lot from that cruise, everyone lost a lot of money and the stress of it all was horrible.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Here's the caption on the new video others have mentioned Princess just posted:

"Despite the disappointment of having to cancel the Feb. 18th Sun Princess maiden voyage, we're pleased to announce that we've taken delivery of her! While she won't set sail just yet, rest assured that we're working diligently to ensure she is ship-shape and ready for her rescheduled maiden voyage on Feb 28th. Your best vacation is on the horizon—we're dedicated to making it extraordinary!"

• Like 2

They have finally made a public announcement.  Hopefully that means they are confident the next scheduled sailing will actually happen.  

Interesting they acknowledge only one cruise being canceled.  Again not being transparent.  

IMG_8577.jpeg

Edited by eroller
  • Like 3

"Don't mind the diesel coming out of your bathroom faucets!  Just order several gallons of bottled water for daily drinking, brushing your teeth... bathing in, etc.  Please do not smoke anywhere aboard.  That funny truck exhaust smell near the pools should be ignored.  Trust us, this ship is LNG all the way, baby!!!  You don't smell diesel!"  - Thank you, Princess Cruises

(Seriously, if the reporting is true on diesel in the water pipes is true, I'd be canceling my Feb 28th cruise today- but we aren't booked on that one!  I'm sitting here wondering if I want to keep my Fall 2024 booking or cancel it... I think my downpayment was refundable.  Diesel in the water is unsafe, period.  If true, this ship builder has some MAJOR issues.)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, occruiselady said:

We had a horrible experience with the first Viking Ocean cruise ship years ago. Engine failure on their fourth cruise left us in Estonia for four days, less than a week into a 14 day cruise. They couldn’t fix the ship, we were finally given a few hours notice to pack and get off the ship late on a rainy night. Those of us who booked air with them had no power to rebook our flights. Our premium economy seats ended up being middle seats in economy for a 12 hour flight. East Coast passengers ended up on a chartered freight plane. We found out that no insurance company covered the mechanical failure of the ship, that it was the ship’s responsibility to make it right. Viking was horrible to work with, just prorated a refund for our missing ports and we had to fight to get that. Learned a lot from that cruise, everyone lost a lot of money and the stress of it all was horrible.

How awful. You're not the first I've heard from that says that if anything goes wrong Viking is terrible to work with and doesn't seem too concerned about making things right. I'll keep that in mind.

Usually Princess does a pretty good job, this current situation notwithstanding. I feel so bad for all the folks affected by this one. What a mess.

• Like 1

Just now, Cruising Forever! said:

"Don't mind the diesel coming out of your bathroom faucets!  Just order several gallons of bottled water for daily drinking, brushing your teeth... bathing in, etc.  Please do not smoke anywhere aboard.  That funny truck exhaust smell near the pools should be ignored.  Trust us, this ship is LNG all the way, baby!!!  You don't smell diesel!"  - Thank you, Princess Cruises

(Seriously, if the reporting is true on diesel in the water pipes is true, I'd be canceling my Feb 28th cruise today- but we aren't booked on that one!  I'm sitting here wondering if I want to keep my Fall 2024 booking or cancel it... I think my downpayment was refundable.  Diesel in the water is unsafe, period.  If true, this ship builder has some MAJOR issues.)

They have too many ships on the books and can't meet deadlines, shortcuts being taken and probably not experienced workers for all jobs.  These mega ships are taking much longer and new territory.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I see on their social media pages, Princess has stated that they have taken possession of the Sun.  They also show a video of some of the interior & crew, from staterooms to restaurants. The discuss working hard to get it ready for the next sailing.

That’s a great step in the right direction!  Thank you for posting! 

• Thanks 1