Any Update on StarLink on the ships

Stick93

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, princevaliantus said:

Is Explorer of the Seas Starlink up and running yet??

Won't do much good with their crappy wifi system. I talked to passengers that got no wifi signal in their stateroom,  it is hit or miss, especially with the older ships.

Edited by mo&fran

1 hour ago, mo&fran said:

Won't do much good with their crappy wifi system. I talked to passengers that got no wifi signal in their stateroom,  it is hit or miss, especially with the older ships.

Newer ships too.  I've only sailed on four of the Quantum class but had cabin wifi issues on all of them.  Leaving the door open a crack worked wonders.  

All steel construction makes for bad wifi.  Steel, walls, steel ceiling, steel floor, steel door. 

Edge class on X and Wonder have access points in the cabins.  That is the only way to improve reception in cabins.  

12 hours ago, Stick93 said:

I am on anthem now and they say there is starlink - still not great. Not reliable. 
Just my experience! 

A couple of weeks ago a guest on Anthem was posting some of the highest results ever documented on that ship.  

Starlink has not completed building their solution yet.  Far from it.  Over the next 12 months there will likely be highly variable results. 

While most service providers in the communication field only make their services available when they have a finished product in that region, that's not how Elon Musk does things.  He is "building the airplane as it flies".  Give it another 12 - 18 months and Starlink should be a pretty great solution.  Until then results will not be consistent all the time.

• Like 1

On Enchantment it was up and running in December, at about 3 MBPS. But the nice thing was it was consistently that - in my cabin, around the ship, etc. The last cruise I went, which was before the pandemic, I could maybe get my emails to load on the top deck of Serenade. On Enchantment, I could stream Netflix without buffering.

• Like 1

Just recently off of Navigator.  It's been converted to Starlink.

As of now, not impressed (I know they haven't finished building out their constellation).  When it worked, it worked very well.

That said, service was spotty.  Way more variable than the previous o3B service.  Frequent complete outages.  This wasn't at oddball latitudes -- it was LA > Cabo > Mazatlan > PV.

Edited by mk-ultra

3 minutes ago, mk-ultra said:

That said, service was spotty.  Way more variable than the previous o3B service.

It seems fine this week. Not sure you can compare O3B on a different route as this - RCI never had a ship with O3B routinely along the Mexican west coast. 

Got off The Allure last week. Service was OK but really didn't seem much better then their old provider. Speed tests were all over the place but I will say the upload speeds were better than I was expecting. I did speed tests, 14.2/9.41, 3.23/0.08, 4.25/7.87, 6.36/8.66, as i said speeds all over the place. 

Currently on Wonder. Starlink went live in the last few weeks (maybe last week considering the announcement in the Cruise Compass). Not bad service considering the number of passengers. Current performance in St. Martin:

93A3F464-E9AC-4BA7-AA3B-B1F0A34B8430.png

Edited by orville99
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 5:57 PM, twangster said:

Edge class on X and Wonder have access points in the cabins.  That is the only way to improve reception in cabins. 

There are also access points in the suites on Radiance class ships - not sure if they ever installed them in non-suite cabins however.

On 1/16/2023 at 5:57 PM, twangster said:

Newer ships too.  I've only sailed on four of the Quantum class but had cabin wifi issues on all of them.  Leaving the door open a crack worked wonders.

All steel construction makes for bad wifi.  Steel, walls, steel ceiling, steel floor, steel door.

We sailed on Anthem 9 times and ALWAYS had great internet in all locations including inside cabins ... Till Thanksgiving 2022 when internet would disappear for long time. Before that Anthem was my go to ship for work and 100% reliable.

On our cruise on Jan 2 we had extremely weird problem. Internet was almost fine after day 3, but during first day I had to forget connections and connect back every 5-10 minutes everywhere.