Off the Chain while Price-Checking!

jencruzin

25 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

Lol pot calling the kettle black ?   This isn’t a streaming forum. It’s a RC forum.   Maybe you should take your own advise.  Lol.   Sail on.  Rock on. 

Just answering an honest question asked by another human being...it is called common courtesy😉

• Like 2

20 hours ago, orville99 said:

Mine is included in my Hulu subscription, and that only went up $5.

21 hours ago, twangster said:

My ESPN+ subscription is going up 34% 

I'm not renewing. 

If people are willing to pay the new rates companies will be willing to accept their money.  If people don't buy at the new prices they'll either come down or the company will close their doors. 

huh. No question asked.      But hey who’s keeping track.    
I’ll  be in Orlando in a few weeks to get on my 855.00 MCS cruise.  
Maybe we can get together and discuss my great bargain skills and your great subscription skills.     

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

huh. No question asked.      But hey who’s keeping track.    
I’ll  be in Orlando in a few weeks to get on my 855.00 MCS cruise.  
Maybe we can get together and discuss my great bargain skills and your great subscription skills.     

I got 2 allure bookings next sept under $700. So does that mean I have even better bargain searching skills? Inside balconys both. 

11 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I got 2 allure bookings next sept under $700. So does that mean I have even better bargain searching skills? Inside balconys both. 

No!    I got a balcony for my price Lolol.    But not a bad deal at all.  Lol.   

6 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

No!    I got a balcony for my price Lolol.    But not a bad deal at all.  Lol.   

So I guess I have the best bargaining skills between us. I could have had any balcony for less than your price. I just cant sit in the sun. Mine is also a balcony. I like boardwalk and central park. Lol I win?

I have some other dates less attractively priced.

I posted a deal alert just a few days ago for a even better price on a ov balcony on allure. Some are priced well, some not so much but I had other reasons to book.  I am the queen of finding deals. Lol

20221231_115701125.jpeg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So I guess I have the best bargaining skills between us. I could have had any balcony for less than your price. I just cant sit in the sun. Mine is also a balcony. I like boardwalk and central park. Lol I win?

I posted a deal alert just a few days ago for a even better price on a ov balcony on allure. Some are priced well, some not so much but I had other reasons to book.  I am the queen of finding deals. Lol

20221231_115701125.jpeg

Wow that’s not a bad price at all.    

kinda like my cruise on the Wonder right after my MSC cruise.    I payed out of the nose on that one.    But I’m going with a bunch of friends so I bit the bullet.    

Heck I even got a good deal on my 15 day Panama cruise that starts my 3 B2B cruise 

panama 15 days 2400

Bahamas 7 days 855.00

Caribbean 7days 2800.00. Not happy about this pice at all.    Price you pay for a new ship.   

6 days and counting.     

21 hours ago, jencruzin said:

Our upcoming cruise next year was $5645.42.

Now, the same cruise is....$7050.42.

That's a $1405 price hike.

Air2Sea, flights were $1175.36 for both of us, now it is $1829.70.

That's a $654.34 price hike.

Of course, grand total of our savings (so far, without checking on excursion, meal package, etc) is now $2059.34.

Have these massive price hikes/GOUGES made any of you think....NEVER AGAIN yet?

Booked in June 2022 for our Feb 2023 cruise. 

Started at $4,679 for the cruise and the outgoing flights. 

For our return flight they were booked separately, departing the day after the cruise, but the routing was cancelled and we were able to rebook for free to the Sunday flight which would have been $500-$900 more per person so that was a huge bonus. 

Our outgoing flights went from $324 one way to $178 saving  so savings of $546 total for our family of 4.

Moving from a balcony cabin for 4, to an interior cabin connecting to balcony, which one a random sale when my original category was sold out was less than the original cabin. 

We started at $4,679 with $150 in OBC, and ended at $4,252 with $300 in onboard credit between two cabins. 

My parents are on the same cruise, started at $4,418 - with $100 in OBC and ended up at $3,419.20 with $337 on OBC - due to decreases in both airfare and the cruise portion. 

Now if I were to look at them both today, t would be much much more. It is all about waiting and watching for the sales, or having a good TA who will do it for you! 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

20221231_115701125.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

kinda like my cruise on the Wonder right after my MSC cruise.    I payed out of the nose on that one.    But I’m going with a bunch of friends so I bit the bullet.    

Heck I even got a good deal on my 15 day Panama cruise that starts my 3 B2B cruise 

panama 15 days 2400

Bahamas 7 days 855.00

Caribbean 7days 2800.00. Not happy about this pice at all.    Price you pay for a new ship.   

6 days and counting.     

OK you two. I have a challenge for you to prove who is the best cruise bargainer of them all! 🏆

I  need to find a Caribbean cruise in a balcony cabin (looking out to the ocean) for two departing Feb. 23 - 25th returning at the latest March 5th. The fare must be all-in with a drinks package for two and includes gratuities.  So you your choice doesn't included these, add them in. Departure choice is Florida or Texas. Best price wins!

And of course if anyone else wished to join the challenge, the more the merrier!

On your mark, get set, GO! 🏃‍♂️

Edited by DirtyDawg

All vacations have increased in price just like groceries, gas, clothes, homes, cars, etc. Deals are still to be had if your schedule is flexible and you're willing to do the leg work to find a good deal.  We set a budget and try and find something that fits into it whether it's a cruise or a land base vacation. We're going to Maui in February 2023. It's our 5 year anniversary so we're splurging a little bit. We're paying less for a resort room in Maui than a jr. suite would be on a 7 day oasis class ship. But once we add food and daily excursions we'll be over the cost of a cruise and excursions. We're using our points to fly to Maui and we would use them to fly to FL to cruise so that's a mute point for us this time.

I wish I could book when cruises first open but that's way too long for me to wait and I don't know what my vacation will look like two plus years in advance. I admire you guy who can do that. When I grow up I want to be like you. We usually book 3 to 7 months in advance. If it's a local cruise out of Galveston 1 to 3 months in advance if we find a great deal or need a break from adulting. 

I think it comes down to how do you want to spend your vacation money. We love cruising and it's our go to vacation. We're lazy vacation people so cruises meet our vacation needs. We're not loyal to any cruise line but Royal is our favorite. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

* On the Navigator...they are "selling/renting" the tables  located outside The Pub tonight for the new year's eve celebration...$700 per table...unlimited drinks from 11pm to 1am...and includes a bottle of Dom Perignon.

This is a joke right?

31 minutes ago, cynt said:

All vacations have increased in price just like groceries, gas, clothes, homes, cars, etc.

You make it seem like everything is going up in price. Tesla is having a 65% off sale right now! Of course you will have to buy the stock, not the car, but hey, it's on Sale! 😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

Caribbean 7days 2800.00. Not happy about this price at all.    Price you pay for a new ship.

I would not be happy with that price either considering we have Wonder booked for a 4/23/23 7-night Eastern in a JS. All in including insurance: $3326.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikew0805 said:

This is a joke right?

Those tables are at a premium for anything going on the Promenade.  Selling them helps stop those that might fight over them and if people are willing to pay $700 for one, that's  on them.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

panama 15 days 2400

Bahamas 7 days 855.00

6 days and counting.     

I have to admit I keep swearing no more texas cruises out of Galveston.  It's too hot. I hit Galveston and the humidity and heat, so hot and I say not next year. Nope ... .and then the price was so good a few months ago I couldnt say no.

• Like 1

It is obvious the industry is in a price sensitivity phase.  I wouldn’t go so far to call it gouging, but prices now are testing boundaries.  

I presently have 3 booked for 2023, but NONE booked for 2024 as yet.  Still weighing options with increased fees.  

It would be easier if the lines indicated the Price increases will have a noticeable positive effect on MDR quality, and entertainment on smaller ships.  Rather we get word services may be cut, such as twice daily room service.  Prices up and services down are a recipe and even incentive for.......let’s try something else.

I believe as the Shutdown period ended there was downward pressure on prices to get passengers back.  Now there is upward pressure to generate cash flow to pay down debt.  

If there numbers of passengers are steady and rising we may never see downward pressure on pricing again.  BUT.....they all built these new larger ships, and the pressure to fill so many births every week keeps pricing from soaring even more.  Plus the addition of Virgin, MSC and any others should help with some downward pressure on pricing.

I think a line that comes out and says they are highly improving the MDR and entertainment will support some higher pricing without poor feedback.  They all have a ton of debt and need to keep ships close to full.

Eddie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eddie Wilson said:

It is obvious the industry is in a price sensitivity phase.  I wouldn’t go so far to call it gouging, but prices now are testing boundaries.  

I presently have 3 booked for 2023, but NONE booked for 2024 as yet.  Still weighing options with increased fees.  

It would be easier if the lines indicated the Price increases will have a noticeable positive effect on MDR quality, and entertainment on smaller ships.  Rather we get word services may be cut, such as twice daily room service.  Prices up and services down are a recipe and even incentive for.......let’s try something else.

I believe as the Shutdown period ended there was downward pressure on prices to get passengers back.  Now there is upward pressure to generate cash flow to pay down debt.  

If there numbers of passengers are steady and rising we may never see downward pressure on pricing again.  BUT.....they all built these new larger ships, and the pressure to fill so many births every week keeps pricing from soaring even more.  Plus the addition of Virgin, MSC and any others should help with some downward pressure on pricing.

I think a line that comes out and says they are highly improving the MDR and entertainment will support some higher pricing without poor feedback.  They all have a ton of debt and need to keep ships close to full.

Eddie

What I am finding out of Galveston,  other than some random in and out princess cruises this winter, with low solo subsidies... everything else is higher. If I am booking harmony balconys for 8 days cheaper than 8 days in a inside on carnival dream. 7 days cheaper than vista or other ships I dont care about. And ncl prima .. double what rcl wants, though yes it's more inclusive. 

It's the cheapest rates. Even the new higher 2024 rates ... still less. MSC yes is going to build a pier, might be there in 3 to 5 years. .. right now rcl is the best prices.  

Above I meant to say I hate sept heat ... not all times of year...I missed the word sept. I'm a winter cruiser. That's why rcl can get by with higher prices. Go look at ncl. If you get loyalty discounts, beats carnival prices. My bet is people will pay the higher prices. My 10 day radiance cruise to Panama the price is up not down. I'm also betting the new 8 day to coco cay will be a success. Rcl is the best deal price wise if you have loyalty discounts. Ncl prima is crazy. 

4 out of my six weeks of vacations are during the highest peak travel weeks. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Spring Break(2nd week go March) so I am used to expensive cruises. The other two weeks are still close to peak as well(first to weeks of July). I will almost Icon is ridiculous but I still booked a balcony for I think the 8th cruise on it. Also doing Wonder B2B for Xmas and New Years next year in a balcony. It is what it is right now I guess.

Maybe when the American version of MSC Europa debuts in 2025 we will try MSC or maybe we will try Europa instead of Utopia in 2024 For our B2B European cruises.

Edited by wreckem2013

1 minute ago, wreckem2013 said:

4 out of my six weeks of vacations are during the highest peak travel weeks. Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Spring Break(2nd week go March) so I am used to expensive cruises. Icon is ridiculous but booked in a balcony for I think the 8th cruise on it. Wonder B2B for Xmas and New Years in a balcony. 

It is what it is. Maybe when the Americans version of MSC Europa debuts we will try MSC or maybe we will try Europa instead of Utopia in 2024.

I checked the icon for 2024 solo and fell on the floor.   Most I’ve paid for any cruise has been 2800.00. Icon was close to 4100

6 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

I checked the icon for 2024 solo and fell on the floor.   Most I’ve paid for any cruise has been 2800.00. Icon was close to 4100

We booked an Icon Balcony while on Allure for Xmas for $4500. When we moved it over to a travel agent we saved $800 but switched to an oceanview balcony guarantee vs an assigned balcony. 

13 hours ago, BND said:

Selling them helps stop those that might fight over them and if people are willing to pay $700 for one, that's  on them.   

Agree, and nothing new as been happening for yrs. Interesting on reg Cruises where they cant make money selling tables they just remove all tables/Chairs for the nite. This on Radiance Class on all levels in the Centrum for big Shows/Parties. Standing room only but nice as allows more room for more passengers to see

19 hours ago, firefly333 said:

20221231_115701125.jpeg

19 hours ago, Cruise5life said:

panama 15 days 2400

Bahamas 7 days 855.00

6 days and counting.     

19 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

OK you two. I have a challenge for you to prove who is the best cruise bargainer of them all! 🏆

I  need to find a Caribbean cruise in a balcony cabin (looking out to the ocean) for two departing Feb. 23 - 25th returning at the latest March 5th. The fare must be all-in with a drinks package for two and includes gratuities.  So you your choice doesn't included these, add them in. Departure choice is Florida or Texas. Best price wins!

And of course if anyone else wished to join the challenge, the more the merrier!

On your mark, get set, GO! 🏃‍♂️

Jeepers guys, I expected I'd wake up this morning and you two would have found a great cruise deal for me. Nothing? Nada? 😥

6 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Jeepers guys, I expected I'd wake up this morning and you two would have found a great cruise deal for me. Nothing? Nada? 😥

Sorry. Been busy trying to pack and get my home in order for my 29 days at sea in 4 days.       But I’ll get right on that when I get back.   

• Thanks 1

The newer ships are pricey, we have noticed that. The Icon pricing was a bit high from our perspective but that is to be expected, you pay more for a new car and less for used. We have been sailing the "Older" ships and having a great time while saving a few dimes here and there. That being said, I do not splurge on much in life but I do when it comes to travel and vacations. I guess since I travel for a living (flight attendant) I see the value in spending more for certain things everyday. I am willing to pay more for the extra room/early boarding seats, direct flights versus connections, we are even Admiral's Club members because it is a valuable space for us when we travel. I LOVE the airport lounges and that semi-private space is priceless to me. This also comes to cruising, I only cruise in balconies or suites, I pay more because it is worth it TO ME and my priorities. We do shop around, watch the pricing and compare ships, itinerary and price, we have a spreadsheet that breaks it down to basically price per day with all things included (wifi, onboard dining, drinks, etc) and go with the best price per day option. That usually means the "older" ships but we are ok with that. I started cruising in the early 90's with my parents on Carnival and I can recall (because I choose the trip as part of a school project) that my parents paid over $3k for a 7 day cruise in a window stateroom over spring break (peak season) on Carnival in 1998 and that did not include airfare or the bar tab (no drink packages back then). I do not think the ship-wide pricing is high but I do think they are trying to pay off the newer ships and that is reflected in the price of those sailings. 

Just my two cents, everything is going back to pre-pandemic pricing when it comes to travel. We have to remember that low cost air carriers were created due to the cost of "legacy" air carriers. People scoff at United, Delta and American charging so what they do but forget that they are not built to be low cost carriers and the prices they offered during the pandemic merely kept them afloat. Even with my airline employee discount on a full fare ticket, we are still paying over $700 roundtrip to Miami for our April cruise...but once again...I purchased an extra room set of seats with priority boarding and pre-reserved seating together. 

• Like 2