The big 3 eliminated turn down service for non-suites, will X follow? If you enjoy it, be sure you mention it on the survey

NutsAboutGolf

54 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm noticing a lot of folks are saying they have their towels replaced daily. Is this the norm? We usually hang them back up until the 3rd day and then put them on the floor to be replaced.

Even when I hang mine up, my cabin steward replaces them. It's annoying as I'd rather conserve the water, etc. for laundering them all the time.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

I never understood the “I do it  now” rationale. That why I go on vacation, to not have to do what I do now. Is any one “change” earthshattering —- of course not, but the slow but sure removal of services  adds up. At some point, it’s time to look elsewhere. That time is different for everyone.

mac_tlc

I go on vacation to experience new things and new places - and I cruise for being out on the ocean. I don't vacation to have my bed turned down.

But like you said, we're all different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, RichYak said:

As long as they leave enough towels in the morning, I'm good. The daily and any other correspondence can be left in the mail slot and I can do without the chocolate.

Same for us. The extra towels would be the sticking point. We stacked the chocolates off to the side.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OysterD said:

That was actually a bug bear of mine the other month. I hate wastage and made an effort to hang all my towels up so the room attendant wouldn't replace them, as the sign in the bathroom said. Yet every day I'd have a new set of towels. One doesn't need a new towel after using it once, there's just no need. However, I kept forgetting to mention it to the room attendant and wouldn't remember again until stepping out of the shower and thinking darn, new towels again! Lol

I also hang my bath towel up after one use. Also hand towel. After all after showering your body is clean so no need to replace daily.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, retird said:

You all know we are spoiled when our main complaints are bed not turned down for us, no chocolate, and no twice a day towels.    Lol

If all the above were eliminated it wouldn't bother me. Not high maintenance. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, retird said:

You all know we are spoiled when our main complaints are bed not turned down for us, no chocolate, and no twice a day towels.    Lol

Yes, but soon it will be a bunk without sheets, along with a shared bathroom down the hall with time slots for sign-up.  All food will be self-served and a majority of cruises will be to nowhere.  😜

• Haha 5

Would miss clean towels but I would simply ask for more to get me through the day. I do not reuse towels at home; have no intention of reusing towels on vacation.
The chocolates are nasty, would not miss those.
They can leave the newsletter in the cabin door holder like they do so many other things (including the room keys).

Edited by xamsx

6 hours ago, barneyboy said:

Looks like I’m in the minority but I’d miss the evening turn down. Really enjoy returning to our cabin late at night to find the curtains shut, lamps on and the chocolate and daily on the pillow. It’s one of the things which differentiate cruise travel from a resort. Yes, I can turn down my bed myself, but I can also cook, make my bed, clean the bathroom and do dishes, which I have no intention of doing on a cruise.  We cruise to be looked after for a short period of time. 
if this service was eliminated on Celebrity, along with the other cutbacks, it would cause us to look elsewhere. 

I may also be in the minority, but I agree with you. Maybe it’s partially because I’m the person in my house who (a) really cares about neatness and therefore (b) in every day life ends up doing most of the straightening up required for me to really relax, there’s something that feels very luxurious about coming back to the room at night and finding everything already tidied up and prepared just right for me to just munch a chocolate while I put on pajamas and then climb in bed.

Our favorite all-inclusive resort chain does a turn down service that even right now I think is a little above and beyond Celebrity. In addition to the bed prep, curtains, bathroom tidying, lights dimming, etc. they also spray a nice fragrance in the room (upon request) and put on relaxing spa music on the TV to greet you when you walk in.

I don’t think that this change would run me off from Celebrity completely since we do prefer to sail in the Retreat when budget allows.  That said, on the occasions when we’re on a more limited travel budget and the price between a resort and a non-Retreat Celebrity cruise is comparable (which is not uncommon), this would probably be a significant checkmark in favor of resort for me as I weigh pros and cons.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I'm noticing a lot of folks are saying they have their towels replaced daily. Is this the norm? We usually hang them back up until the 3rd day and then put them on the floor to be replaced.

When I'm paying the exorbitant amount of money that the cruise lines charge as they slowly erode services and amenities year after year, you better believe I'm going to enjoy every possible luxury in my cabin including having a fresh towel daily. I go on a cruise to completely relax not to worry if the towel I left to hang up will not still be damp the next morning. Also, it's just more hygienic; I'd have fresh towels each day at home too if I didn't have to be the one washing them every other day.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, miched said:

The cruise lines are becoming like the airlines.   Air travel use to be luxurious and now it is bare bones public transportation like riding a city bus or subway.  

It use to be luxurious to cruise, now they are like  the airlines that keeps nibbling away.  

I would not be surprise that they will start charging for luggage and have a weight restriction 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I had brought the luggage charge up a long time ago, even before they had many ships sailing. The airlines brought in $5 billion dollars in 2019. The cruise lines are much smaller but zI would guess it would be well into the tens of millions. They should have levied the fuel surcharge as stated in the cruise contract, which I believe it is $14 p.p. per day with a seven day max per cruise. Based on 2,000 passengers that would be almost  $125,000 per ship per week. From what I can find, there are 60 ships in the RCL Group, do the math 60 x $125,000 per week. Between the two, they would have turning a profit for awhile and the would have been making a profit and paying off debt for several months now. Instead the cut services, by cheaper materials raise prices, and most of all alienate loyal customers.

Ten years ago we knew about a dozen couples who cruised several times a year spending big bucks every time. Now we know nobody who has cruised or even plan to since before the pandemic.

8 hours ago, CruiseRQA said:

Customers are a big part of the problem.   Airline passengers shop for price not level of service.   Cruise passengers are following suit.   They will sign up for the cheapest not the best.  

You are 100% correct.   Years ago all gas stations had full service.   That disappeared as people opted to pump their own to save a few Pennies per gallon

In HS I worked in a supermarket.  We rang up the order,  packed the bags and someone took the bags to your car and put them in the trunk.   We also had a desk for bottle returns  where we would take the bottles and give the refund

Many full service stores went out of business because of the self serve concept. 

As you posted people are willing to give up service and sometimes quality for a cheaper price.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't consider Princess, HAL, and Celebrity premium lines. But for what it's worth,  HAL has already made the change to once a day. I don't follow princess closely, but since they are also part of Carnival Cruise Lines I suspect they have already made the change as well. 

Princess is still twice a day.

9 hours ago, barneyboy said:

Looks like I’m in the minority but I’d miss the evening turn down. Really enjoy returning to our cabin late at night to find the curtains shut, lamps on and the chocolate and daily on the pillow. It’s one of the things which differentiate cruise travel from a resort. Yes, I can turn down my bed myself, but I can also cook, make my bed, clean the bathroom and do dishes, which I have no intention of doing on a cruise.  We cruise to be looked after for a short period of time. 
if this service was eliminated on Celebrity, along with the other cutbacks, it would cause us to look elsewhere. 

9 hours ago, mahdnc said:

+1

Me too.  I'd miss it.

• Like 1

For us, Turndown service was wonderful when we use to travel with our children in the same cabin. We had the full use of the cabin space during the day, and at night the sofa was made into a bed.

Now, since our children are now grown, I would not miss it nearly as much.

16 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Absolutely, on November cruise all used towels were replaced every day, even those hung on the back of the bathroom door. 

• Like 1