Can a beef/chicken lover enjoy Izumi?

We did Tepanyaki at Izumi on Harmony in Nov 2021.  IMHO, it's overpriced and not that good. We get much better at our local Sushi/Tepanyaki place here for a lot less.  I have a shrimp allergy so we always have to have that cooked at the end (plus any other shellfish) so anyone sitting with us gets their experience changed.  Last time we went to one locally, we had just family (8 of us) so it wasn't an issue.  Most people are really nice about it, but it does change having shrimp as an appetizer to having it as a last item.   My DH doesn't eat fish.  He's never liked it.  So, for me, it's not about being a "picky" eater and for him, it's not really that as much as it's a type of food he doesn't like.  I'm sure he eats things that others don't like.  

53 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Just went to Izumi’s last night on Navigator. I had pre purchased the dining there for my family, and I wanted to verify what you get. I was under the impression, since it states on the menu, you get 2 Large plates (8 pieces per roll). My oldest daughter (the sushi eater) got 4 pieces from each roll she ordered. I know from experience that wording can be tricky, so just wanted to check from those more experienced with Izumi. So is it 8 pieces total per 2 large plates, or should it be 16 pieces total for 2 large plate.

It’s  funny, because my granddaughter loves sushi also, and her kids plate had 12 pieces.

Hope I didn’t confuse everyone….😬

The roll should have been cut into 8 pieces.  Here is what I received at Izumi on Quantum last September. 

image.thumb.jpeg.14fef102a58e6b45f06726d54df42ba2.jpeg37669178_IMG_7288photo.thumb.JPG.77ebd4ba642da52a46b7d8a987edf159.JPG781777115_IMG_7289photo.thumb.JPG.8e651d3c4d095e1ba2fb13f35227e0d1.JPG

12 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

The roll should have been cut into 8 pieces.  Here is what I received at Izumi on Quantum last September. 

Thank you. I will go talk to them today. She only got 4 pieces of each large plate she ordered. I wasn’t sure if it was something different from pre purchase than just going and ordering a la carte.

I don’t care for Asian food of any kind, not Chinese, Thai, curry etc.  I like pretty much anything else to eat.  The DH loves the above so I said I’d go after the restart.  Well now we go at least once a cruise.  I love the fried rice and any sushi that’s cooked.  There’s a star by anything raw.  The great thing if you have someone who doesn’t really like the idea, they can order ale cart and just pay for what they’ll eat.  DH also has a food allergy.  Since it’s all made fresh, it’s easy for him to eat there.

We've eaten at Izumi several times on different ships. I love sushi, my husband does not. We both always leave full and satisfied! IMO, the food is always very good. So i have rolls and he has chicken teriyaki or other cooked options, and we're both happy. I'm always surprised when i hear people say they couldn't find anything to eat (whatever the venue is they're describing, even the MDR)....there are ALWAYS enough choices that you can find something you like if you keep an open mind. I also think if someone wants to dislike a dining venue they will.

3 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Thank you. I will go talk to them today. She only got 4 pieces of each large plate she ordered. I wasn’t sure if it was something different from pre purchase than just going and ordering a la carte.

Someone on another site posted that fleet wide,  they went to 4 pieces per roll on Jan 1.

2 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Someone on another site posted that fleet wide,  they went to 4 pieces per roll on Jan 1.

Yes, thank you. I did verify that the pre purchase package recently switched to 4 pieces. For those ordering a la carte, you will still get 8. 

If you get only 4 pieces and want more, just cut the 4 in half and BAM, there you are.  

Seriously, does Izumi make any Sushi that doesn't have seafood in it?  I don't mind a little seaweed I just don't want any seafood, except for Shrimp and/or Lobster and not that imitation stuff.  I'm fairly sure they do but you never know how strict they are with sticking to the menu.  

4 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

If you get only 4 pieces and want more, just cut the 4 in half and BAM, there you are.  

Seriously, does Izumi make any Sushi that doesn't have seafood in it?  I don't mind a little seaweed I just don't want any seafood, except for Shrimp and/or Lobster and not that imitation stuff.  I'm fairly sure they do but you never know how strict they are with sticking to the menu.  

My youngest daughter ordered a veggie roll…no problem.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, crzndeb said:

Just went to Izumi’s last night on Navigator. I had pre purchased the dining there for my family, and I wanted to verify what you get. I was under the impression, since it states on the menu, you get 2 Large plates (8 pieces per roll). My oldest daughter (the sushi eater) got 4 pieces from each roll she ordered. I know from experience that wording can be tricky, so just wanted to check from those more experienced with Izumi. So is it 8 pieces total per 2 large plates, or should it be 16 pieces total for 2 large plate.

It’s  funny, because my granddaughter loves sushi also, and her kids plate had 12 pieces.

Hope I didn’t confuse everyone….😬

It used to be 8 pieces per roll. It has since been changed to 4 pieces. It was 4 for prebooked on my Christmas Cruise on Allure.

Edited by wreckem2013
  • Like 1

I can't help but wonder if the four pieces put together and the 8 pieces put together are the same overall length?  

I guess I'll find out next month on Harmony.  I have pre-ordered lunch at Izumi for us. 

On 1/5/2023 at 10:23 AM, Joseph2017China said:

I have a great idea.  Show the menu to the "picky person" and let them decide.  Even kids can figure it out.  

I did find the menu after looking a bit and did exactly that.

She nixed the idea, kaboshed it, said no, 

I think she made up my mind

1 hour ago, Eddie Wilson said:

I did find the menu after looking a bit and did exactly that.

She nixed the idea, kaboshed it, said no, 

I think she made up my mind

Sorry to hear that -- I love sushi. 

Here's and idea.  Stop by the desk and place a to-go order for yourself.  It will keep an hour or two and you can have it a little later.