Boarding time - is later less congested and less wait time in lines?

3CanadianBears

We have been on 4 cruises, all leaving from Miami.  Each cruise we chose the earliest boarding time we could, and usually had to wait in lines through security, check in, then wait to board.  Truly one memorable wait was late Feb 2020 when we stood in line for close to 3 hours (though of course that was just as covid was hitting) 

In May, we are sailing Celebrity from Vancouver to Alaska and considering a later in the day boarding time, hoping to avoid the crowds and maybe some waiting time.    I'd appreciate any thoughts on later vs early boarding time.    We are in Aqua class, but I don't think that provides any priority boarding.

Thank you! 

Edited by 3CanadianBears

36 minutes ago, 3CanadianBears said:

We have been on 4 cruises, all leaving from Miami.  Each cruise we chose the earliest boarding time we could, and usually had to wait in lines through security, check in, then wait to board.  Truly one memorable wait was late Feb 2020 when we stood in line for close to 3 hours (though of course that was just as covid was hitting) 

In May, we are sailing Celebrity from Vancouver to Alaska and considering a later in the day boarding time, hoping to avoid the crowds and maybe some waiting time.    I'd appreciate any thoughts on later vs early boarding time.    We are in Aqua class, but I don't think that provides any priority boarding.

Thank you! 

That's because you didn't pick a boarding time. You are only picking a  check in time. 

As locals we have done many many cruises out of Canada Place in Vancouver. Can't say I have noticed a lot of differences in boarding times, what is probably relivent is how many ships are departing that day.  If its 3, then its going to be slower.  You can look it up on the port website.

Two cruises ago we were one of the first ones there, thought we would beat the crowd.  Went well until we were at the ramp to the boat  there was a medical emergency of a departing guest and he had to hold for a long time for ambulance crews to remove the passenger. Poor soul.  Though I assume it created a backlog after us. You take your chances.

Due to staged boarding time, we haven’t had any wait in Southampton. We have been on the ship in less than 15 minutes and picked the earliest boarding times.

I suggest it’s because people are not sticking to their pre arranged boarding times, or don’t have their paper work ready.

• Like 1

I'm wondering if it depends on the port and if people stick to their times?

Last cruise in Rome I had 11:30 but my taxi got me there 15 mins early, there were quite a few people there already but from the time I arrived to being on the ship it was 15 mins. Also I had all my paperwork etc ready to go, I could see people fumbling around trying to find everything they were supposed to bring with them

Answer to OP's question; always.

Show up around 40 minutes before sailing time to an empty (of passengers) check-in shed and you may not need to tell them your name - they may well tell you! "Ah, Mr & Mrs. Jones. Yes, we've been expecting you ('tick'). Here's your on board key-card. Sign here. Bon voyage!".

VIP treatment. A great start to the cruise.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 3CanadianBears said:

Thank you! 

Wow, in the 15 or so cruises we have taken since the restart, we have only waited to board the ship once. That occasion, we breezed thru all check in but the ship wasn’t ready, we waited about 30 minutes. Normally I am dropping off carryons in my cabin within 20 minutes of arriving at the port. 

The worst wait I ever had to board a cruise was this past July on Celebrity going to Alaska out of Vancouver.  We arrived around 1pm and it was organized chaos. I'd say it took over an hour with many different lines on different floors in Canada Place.  Unfortunately, there were 3 ships leaving that day and they were still checking covid test results.  

So many things affect whether there is going to be a line or not, but in general, the later, the better.

I work at the Tampa terminals and today there are 3 ships bobbing around outside the Skyway Bridge in the Gulf of Mexico, unable to reach the terminals to dock due to fog. (The Constellation, Royal Caribbean Brilliance and the Norwegian Dawn).  

I can guarantee there will be lines and many cranky people when embark finally gets underway. Past fog experience tells me these peeps probably won’t even begin to check in until 5-6pm. Uggg, going to be a long day.

Edited by Born2go
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Canuker said:

Answer to OP's question; always.

Show up around 40 minutes before sailing time to an empty (of passengers) check-in shed and you may not need to tell them your name - they may well tell you! "Ah, Mr & Mrs. Jones. Yes, we've been expecting you ('tick'). Here's your on board key-card. Sign here. Bon voyage!".

VIP treatment. A great start to the cruise.

Thank you for all the replies/ideas/opinions.   Of course this sounds the best, and maybe we'll give it a try!

Based on the comments, I will check and see how many other ships are in port that day as well. 

2 hours ago, Born2go said:

So many things affect whether there is going to be a line or not, but in general, the later, the better.

I work at the Tampa terminals and today there are 3 ships bobbing around outside the Skyway Bridge in the Gulf of Mexico, unable to reach the terminals to dock due to fog. (The Constellation, Royal Caribbean Brilliance and the Norwegian Dawn).  

I can guarantee there will be lines and many cranky people when embark finally gets underway. Past fog experience tells me these peeps probably won’t even begin to check in until 5-6pm. Uggg, going to be a long day.

Hello  Can someone please tell me the Southampton pier address that Celebrity Silhouette sails out of?  I am trying to book a transfer with a stop in Stonehenge prior to boarding the cruise and the travel company is asking me for the address of the pier.  I assuming that there is more than one pier in Southhampton.  Thanks so much ... Can't wait for our July cruise.  

In the last 6 months I have cruises on X out of San Diego, San Pedro, FLL and Miami, usually arrive 1130-1230 (Miami was 130), never a line to get onto the terminal, to check in or board the ship.  Only line I’ve encountered is security but usually just a few minutes at most.  San Pedro seems to only use one X-ray machine 

48 minutes ago, youngnet2 said:

Hello  Can someone please tell me the Southampton pier address that Celebrity Silhouette sails out of?  I am trying to book a transfer with a stop in Stonehenge prior to boarding the cruise and the travel company is asking me for the address of the pier.  I assuming that there is more than one pier in Southhampton.  Thanks so much ... Can't wait for our July

its B on the attached map, the City Terminal 101, accessible via Dock Gate 8 or 9.

0A28BE3C-0999-4CDA-8E4B-F73C6E3C52A3.thumb.jpeg.fffdda4b2e20939b339a3aebe25cadd4.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

4 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

its B on the attached map, the City Terminal 101, accessible via Dock Gate 8 or 9.

0A28BE3C-0999-4CDA-8E4B-F73C6E3C52A3.thumb.jpeg.fffdda4b2e20939b339a3aebe25cadd4.jpeg

I think they wanted to forward their tour company the exact address...

According to google (I have no idea if this is accurate):

101, Berth, Western Docks, Herbert Walker Ave, Southampton SO15 1HJ, UK

First of Dec. we boarded the Equinox between the 1-1:30 time slot. We were the lonely boarders!!!  We got to the last guy to the ramp and he said hurry up, everyone is drunk, happy and having a good time🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

our room was ready and luggage came extremely fast🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

On 1/1/2023 at 1:33 PM, DCPIV said:

The crowds are at their worst at the beginning and not by just a little. 

You are correct that Aqua does not have priority boarding. 

Is this for Alaska sailings? As I was told when booking my first Celeb Cruise that Suites,Aqua and Congeries class had Priority Boarding?

On 1/1/2023 at 2:46 PM, kearney said:

Which makes me wonder... if you board later in the process... do you get your bags earlier... Last In First Out?

I swear it works that way when flying. If I check in at the 3 hour mark, my luggage is towards the back.

But for ships, I wonder if getting on later means any issues with reservations for specialty or shows.

I see lots of people rushing around or on phones to do stuff.

On 1/4/2023 at 5:55 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

I swear it works that way when flying. If I check in at the 3 hour mark, my luggage is towards the back.

But for ships, I wonder if getting on later means any issues with reservations for specialty or shows.

I see lots of people rushing around or on phones to do stuff.

I make any specialty reservations before boarding.... when not having a package... shows are first come first serve and I have never had an issue... really try to stay off the phone and internet while cruising.

21 hours ago, kearney said:

I make any specialty reservations before boarding.... when not having a package... shows are first come first serve and I have never had an issue... really try to stay off the phone and internet while cruising.

well since this is Celebrity threads I hear ya.

But for the big ships on RCI or some on NCL, the shows do book up.

However, good news is they are starting to let us reserve on line ahead of time too.