Outward opening cabin doors

schmoopie17

On a recent thread discussing putting luggage outside your cabin door on the last night, I mentioned that it was very difficult to do on our last cruise because our cabin door opened outward.

People said things like, "There is no such thing as a cabin door that opens outward"..."I've never seen a cabin door open outward"...and "A cabin door that opens outward doesn't exist. It would be a safety hazard."

Well, I'm here to tell you that cabin 11214 on the Escape has a door that opens outward. There is a small vestibule into which the door opens, so the door doesn't open into the hallway.  People still didn't believe it.

It got me to thinking (dangerous, I know)...how many others have had cabin doors that opened outward?

• Like 1

I was on Escape in April, and now that you mention it, I think our cabin door did open outwards.  I just checked to see if I had any pictures that showed it, but couldn't find anything.  My mom is getting on Escape this weekend - I'll ask her to let me know once she's onboard.

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

"I've never seen a cabin door open outward"

Smh...hard to believe some people really think that just because they've "never seen" that this somehow negates what is being reported. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Not positive, but I think the doors open outward on all of the "Away" ships.

Thank you.  I was sitting here thinking I've actually not seen one that opens INWARD, but since I've only sailed on BA+ ships (on NCL) that would explain that...

24 minutes ago, wcook said:

I just spent all of last week living in a cabin (Epic). For the life of me I couldn’t tell you which was the door opened. Maybe I’m getting old. Maybe I was drunk the entire week. 

Or maybe the only thing that mattered was that in did indeed open.  I'm with you, I have no idea which way it opened either.  But unlike OP, I didn't have any problem putting our luggage out and I know now that our doors did indeed open outwards.

39 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Plenty of ships have doors that open outward, into a tiny recess, not directly into the corridor. You would put your luggage beside the recess, not in front of the door.

image.png.df1e6052e25fd9afe8fb4b6dabd3df

The little alcove area where luggage would go and allows doors to swing out....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wcook said:

I just spent all of last week living in a cabin (Epic). For the life of me I couldn’t tell you which was the door opened. Maybe I’m getting old. Maybe I was drunk the entire week. 

I would call that an "Epic" cruise...  🙂 🙂 

13 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

image.png.df1e6052e25fd9afe8fb4b6dabd3df

The little alcove area where luggage would go and allows doors to swing out....

But try putting your luggage in the alcove and then shutting the door from the inside. Or opening the door with the luggage in front of it. Or putting your luggage there and then getting into the cabin.Yes, it can be done, but not easily.

Edited by schmoopie17