Incidents on board and security

Megabear2

6 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

After many requests by staff nothing changed

That sadly still appears to be the common theme for this type of thing.  Large extended groups also seem to be another and it's sad those being inconvenienced or made uncomfortable are disregarded as villains rather than the people making the problems.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Not necessarily because once Arcadia and Aurora were bigger ships. The only really upsetting scenes of drunken behaviour in all the cruises we have done was in Carmen's Lounge on Aurora where an extended family used to eat first sitting and then head for Carmen's for the duration of the night. Every night they got drunk were very loud with the kids running around the dance floor when acts were performing. After many requests by staff nothing changed and by 11pm people were heading into Carmen's for second show and couldn't get a seat because all the children were lying on them asleep. Nothing to do with size of ship and was before drinks packages it is just purely down to the people onboard.

Thankfully both ships are adults only now !! 

• Like 3

In a pub or club on land it is against the law to provide alcohol to a person who is drunk, what are the rules on cruise ships in particular the Carnival Group? Are waiters instructed not to bring drinks to those who are obviously drunk? 

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

In a pub or club on land it is against the law to provide alcohol to a person who is drunk, what are the rules on cruise ships in particular the Carnival Group? Are waiters instructed not to bring drinks to those who are obviously drunk? 

In 30 or so cruises we have only seen a couple of passengers who had obviously had a few too many. Perhaps this is blown out of all proportion.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

In 30 or so cruises we have only seen a couple of passengers who had obviously had a few too many. Perhaps this is blown out of all proportion.

I have see multiple cases of drunkenness on cruises I have been on, I was up close to one cases on a Gala night a few years ago where the table next to us in the MDR with 3 couples who went through a number of bottles of wine and abused the crew members waiting on the table eventually after a period security finally turned up and removed them. Their antics and disrespect for staff and other passengers spoilt the night for many.

It was noticeable that the couples we not seen again in the MDR for the remainder of the cruise. It was said on our table that they had been removed from the ship due to multiple complaints, no idea whether this was true or not. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Not necessarily because once Arcadia and Aurora were bigger ships. The only really upsetting scenes of drunken behaviour in all the cruises we have done was in Carmen's Lounge on Aurora where an extended family used to eat first sitting and then head for Carmen's for the duration of the night. Every night they got drunk were very loud with the kids running around the dance floor when acts were performing. After many requests by staff nothing changed and by 11pm people were heading into Carmen's for second show and couldn't get a seat because all the children were lying on them asleep. Nothing to do with size of ship and was before drinks packages it is just purely down to the people onboard.

That's why I said . . "

"Going back to the ships most (but not all) seem to be on the bigger ships and party style .

Maybe that explains why sleepy old Saga and ships like Arcadia seem to dodge these 

problems . "

I do agree it can happen anywhere that's why I put  (but not all)

The point I was hoping to make is  make something bigger that's any venue and add 

a bit of alcohol to the mix it needs managing .

If I go to a tiny village pub or a big town centre venue then the latter is most likely to have 

some sort of policing /security nearby . Of course the tiny pub could have trouble.

Thankfully it's not an everyday problem on P&O as some testify they have never seen

any trouble but when it does arise lets hope for appropriate action .

You make a good point with the so called parenting and child control of some  ,which

again could lead to friction .

This again could happen anywhere not just on a ship ,so what's the answer to it ?

Edited by kalos
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, Yorkypete said:

We are going to Malta in March for 2 weeks at a 4* hotel, full board (inc drinks) with guaranteed sunshine for under £2000. Much cheaper than any cruise. P&O are not good value as I can get this type of holiday in many places.

My point was specifically about the Caribbean where these cruises are excellent value at the moment compared to most land based holidays. Well the headline rate is but as we know once you add on drinks, trips, internet package or a balcony it all adds up. If you're a non drinker happy with an inside cabin who can DIY any port / island trips then the price with flights included is pretty exceptional. 

I'd agree about the Med however but then we drill down into what a cruise actually offers. For me the Med is all about the itinerary and being transported from A to B to C around Europe, its still pretty cost effective in that regard. Of course if you want to sit on a beach then yes far cheaper out there.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, kalos said:

That's why I said . . "

"Going back to the ships most (but not all) seem to be on the bigger ships and party style .

Maybe that explains why sleepy old Saga and ships like Arcadia seem to dodge these 

problems . "

The point I was hoping to make is  make something bigger that's any venue and add 

If I go to a tiny village pub or a big town centre venue then the latter is most likely to have 

some sort of policing /security nearby . Of course the tiny pub could have trouble.

Thankfully it's not an everyday problem on P&O as some testify they have never seen

You make a good point with the so called parenting and child control of some  ,which

This again could happen anywhere not just on a ship ,so what's the answer to it ?

I don’t think there is an answer Kalos.

Sadly in all walks of life there is a percentage of people who don’t care one iota how their behaviour affects others. Sometimes it just doesn’t cross their mind but with some, they are just downright selfish (I.e. I’m going to enjoy my holiday no matter what attitude).

I do agree that these incidents on ships are thankfully rare, but if it happens to you, then it must be extremely unpleasant.

As a solo traveller I cruise because 99% of the time it is a very safe environment - if that perception changes, then I will think again!

• Like 10

1 minute ago, doog442 said:

My point was specifically about the Caribbean where these cruises are excellent value at the moment compared to most land based holidays. Well the headline rate is but as we know once you add on drinks, trips, internet package or a balcony it all adds up. If you're a non drinker happy with an inside cabin who can DIY any port / island trips then the price with flights included is pretty exceptional. 

I'd agree about the Med however but then we drill down into what a cruise actually offers. For me the Med is all about the itinerary and being transported from A to B to C around Europe, its still pretty cost effective in that regard. Of course if you want to sit on a beach then yes far cheaper out there.

Malta is more for the history loving traveller as there are really only a couple of beaches on the island. I could not bear just lying in the sun all day.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zap99 said:

The only time I have seen people drunk was when I saw a group come out of the Suite Lounge on RCL independence of the seas at 8.30pm after consuming unlimited free drinks.

Fortunately they were good natured.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I have no idea what a reasonable drinking night out costs ashore or on-board but I asked a member of the family who's a teacher in her 30s and apparently they don't turn a hair at £100 to £150.  I was astonished but I assume they budget it in on holiday too.

I was in Wetherspoons last night with my mates who we are going on a cruise with later this week.  Cost me less than  £12 for 5 really good craft beers.  If I'd eaten there as well would have been less than £20.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kalos said:

That's why I said . . "

problems . "

On Royal Caribbean terms and conditions it clearly sets out sensible drinking policy and any abuses would result in put off the ship and you would have to pay for your own transport home.

Some people have been locked in their cabins with security stationed outside the cabin.

• Like 4

Just now, grapau27 said:

On Royal Caribbean terms and conditions it clearly sets out sensible drinking policy and any abuses would result in put off the ship and you would have to pay for your own transport home.

Some people have been locked in their cabins with security stationed outside the cabin.

Good to hear. Wish p&o did the same - consistently.

• Like 4

I have travelled solo for 20 years including over 70 cruises. Yes, I have seen the occasional instance of anti social behaviour but nothing bad enough to stop me continuing to enjoy my travelling. That's life. It looks like time to end this debate as it is getting a bit personal and achieving nothing.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Fionboard said:

I have travelled solo for 20 years including over 70 cruises. Yes, I have seen the occasional instance of anti social behaviour but nothing bad enough to stop me continuing to enjoy my travelling. That's life. It looks like time to end this debate as it is getting a bit personal and achieving nothing.

Your right. It's getting a bit repetitive. 

• Like 4

After having a read of this read, beginning to wonder how our cruise will go this weekend.

We paid £629pp for two weeks.  A total of eight of us going.  We've all got £300 obc per cabin.

Although none of us intend getting the drinks package, are we a recipe for drunken obnoxiousness? 😲😇

• Haha 8

3 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

After having a read of this read, beginning to wonder how our cruise will go this weekend.

We paid £629pp for two weeks.  A total of eight of us going.  We've all got £300 obc per cabin.

Although none of us intend getting the drinks package, are we a recipe for drunken obnoxiousness? 😲😇

With all that OBC, yes .. yes, you probably are.   But most importantly, have a great cruise, and remember that the bigger the ship, the more likely you are to be able to find a bit of deck or a lifeboat to lie face down and sleep it all off  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Have a great time which I'm sure you will . Just a pity cruise ships don't do Wetherspoons😉🙂

• Like 3

3 hours ago, paulatsea said:

This thread is about problems people here have experienced and have shared with us.

Its not about the lack of incidents generally.

Im not sure you fully understand this - I’m not interested in your view of how many incidents or lack of them there  are. I’m interested in what people here have experienced and on what ship and what happened.

Sorry I don't interest you.😪

So to sum it all up -

Some of us have been on the receiving end of bad behaviour

Some haven't

Some of us have witnessed bad behaviour

Some haven't

Some of us like P&O

Some don't

Some of us are nice to other people

Some aren't

Play nicely everyone and have a lovely afternoon 😇

• Like 15
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Waju said:

So to sum it all up -

Some of us have been on the receiving end of bad behaviour

Some haven't

Some of us have witnessed bad behaviour

Some haven't

Some of us like P&O

Some don't

Some of us are nice to other people

Some aren't

Play nicely everyone and have a lovely afternoon 😇

I used to say something similar after a trying day in the classroom! 

• Like 7