Ryan Rose leaving CCL

heffy2

Had him on Magic for the first time in September. Thought he was great. Hoped his removal from the schedule was either getting ready for Venezia or to train on the XL class.

They were already down a few CDs from what they had with Kyndall and Donkey going to Celebration and Christian leaving the company. They filled two of those holes this week promoting LiA and Adriaan. Now they're going to need 2-3 more pretty quick and maybe a couple more by the end of the year with Jubilee coming.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

For every Cruise Director there are a dozen fun squad members waiting to give it a try. The cruise industry cannot compete in both salary and benefits (medical, 401k etc) to land based jobs for anyone who can work in the US legally, like how most CDs can. Cruise lines are also the kind of companies who very much stick to their "Someone else will fill your role for the same or less..no negotiations so take it or go pack your cabin." The job is also tiring and eventually gets repetitive. There also isn't a lot of upward opportunities for CDs. 

Also Cruise Directors, no matter how good they are, sometimes get a little too comfortable with interacting with guests that leave the company no choice but to part ways.

Will be interesting to see who goes to the Venezia now.

Edited by ohioNCLcruiser
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Jobs with the word “director” in the title aren’t usually entry level, high turnover jobs. But maybe that’s what this will be now. They’ve hired at least 10 in the past year. I think they’ll be hiring at least 5 over the next year.

It's interesting to see the various roles of Cruise Director from company to company. During my time at NCL the CD not only had to manage the cruise staff team, deck parties etc but they also played a big role in making sure various onboard revenue streams were hitting their targets. I don't belive the CDs at Carnival have that responsibility from conversations I have had with some. I feel like this makes them a bit easier to replace. 

30 minutes ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

It's interesting to see the various roles of Cruise Director from company to company. During my time at NCL the CD not only had to manage the cruise staff team, deck parties etc but they also played a big role in making sure various onboard revenue streams were hitting their targets. I don't belive the CDs at Carnival have that responsibility from conversations I have had with some. I feel like this makes them a bit easier to replace. 

That's correct. They added a position called Entertainment Director to handle all the administrative stuff that the Cruise Director did before. Their job now is to be out among the peeps as much as they can. 😎

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ohioNCLcruiser said:

Will be interesting to see who goes to the Venezia now.

The next shoe to drop is Valor. There’s no Valor CD in six weeks. Unless they send Nate who signs off Elation next week. Then they don’t have anyone for Sunrise in March.

There’s also Jubilee to think about. If they do it the way they did with Celebration, Kyndall and Donkey will go there. But their Mardi Gras replacements would start shadowing this summer. The only non-XL CD who shadowed on Mardi Gras last year is Cookie. He’s my first guess for Mardi Gras.

I also noticed Simon is signing off of Luminosa in April and isn’t on the schedule at all after that. He could be a candidate to take another Costa ship like Venezia, but I’d think he’d get a longer break than that. He’s my second pick to move to Mardi Gras.

Now they could change the schedule and put whoever they want on Venezia. But if the way it sits now is any indication, Nate is the next one that comes off of the schedule. He’s not scheduled anywhere else. The same for Zach next month. Then in March Tyler and Louis fall off of the schedule and in April Simon and Leon.

Rico signs off Magic in May and isn’t scheduled elsewhere yet but that seems too late to be launching Venezia.

Everyone else is on the schedule during or after the Venezia launch. It’ll probably get a little clearer over the next month.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

The next shoe to drop is Valor. There’s no Valor CD in six weeks. Unless they send Nate who signs off Elation next week. Then they don’t have anyone for Sunrise in March.

There’s also Jubilee to think about. If they do it the way they did with Celebration, Kyndall and Donkey will go there. But their Mardi Gras replacements would start shadowing this summer. The only non-XL CD who shadowed on Mardi Gras last year is Cookie. He’s my first guess for Mardi Gras.

I also noticed Simon is signing off of Luminosa in April and isn’t on the schedule at all after that. He could be a candidate to take another Costa ship like Venezia, but I’d think he’d get a longer break than that. He’s my second pick to move to Mardi Gras.

Now they could change the schedule and put whoever they want on Venezia. But if the way it sits now is any indication, Nate is the next one that comes off of the schedule. He’s not scheduled anywhere else. The same for Zach next month. Then in March Tyler and Louis fall off of the schedule and in April Simon and Leon.

Rico signs off Magic in May and isn’t scheduled elsewhere yet but that seems too late to be launching Venezia.

Everyone else is on the schedule during or after the Venezia launch. It’ll probably get a little clearer over the next month.

Something is happening with MarQ Anthony. They just took him off of Dream for the summer.

1 minute ago, Itried4498 said:

Not these days.  Many companies assign the "director" title to a wide breadth of employees to get around professional classifications / not pay OT.  Hence why the 18yo receptionist is the "Director of First Impressions."  

Well we don’t have any director of first impressions at my company. It’s your typical directors that run entire departments. 

We have only sailed Radiance since cruising resumed, and had pleasure of Ryan Rose as CD. Heck if anyone can make me truly smile as I last day at 7:15 am to disembark, that takes talent. He was dressed to me resembling classic sketch of Carol Burnett as the janitor. He was in Full length mumu robe, stockings and seeing  an African American man sporting pink foam curlers!  I will miss him over the recent Hey, I said Hey - Y’All every PA announcement on last cruise.  

4 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

We have only sailed Radiance since cruising resumed, and had pleasure of Ryan Rose as CD. Heck if anyone can make me truly smile as I last day at 7:15 am to disembark, that takes talent. He was dressed to me resembling classic sketch of Carol Burnett as the janitor. He was in Full length mumu robe, stockings and seeing  an African American man sporting pink foam curlers!  I will miss him over the recent Hey, I said Hey - Y’All every PA announcement on last cruise.  

Okay. That sounds like fun.

59 minutes ago, shof515 said:

On the sunshine now with Leon , it's kind of annoying in every pa announcement he says something like bye y'all I said bye. I hate when cd try to be funny or do these annoying things

Pretty sure Matt Mitchem did that without the y’all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mz-s said:

I think the CDs are expected to have a catchphrase in recent years.

I liked Lei Lei on the Paradise but i got tired after a dozen "Oh My Goodness!" My son, however, loved her. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by LadyMac72
grammar

• 2 months later...
On 1/14/2023 at 5:53 PM, EngIceDave said:

I couldn't remember the name of one CD on any of my cruises even if I tried

I agree I have had good ones, decent ones and annoying ones but every cruise we have done we have enjoyed and not on any of them did the CD make a difference. I also cannot name one.

• Like 1