Luminae Menu cutbacks?

Cruising Princess

12 hours ago, miched said:

Here is a screen shot for the Beyond sailing for Luminae.   It also has pigs feet for an appetizer.   Can’t wait to try that.🙄. In all honesty my dad use boil pigs feet and pigs head to make  head cheese, it could also contain the brain, eyes, ears, tongue if bought for the local butcher shop.  Pickled  pigs feet was a staple in the neighborhood bars along with pickled eggs.  

A fellow Michigander! My grandparents grew up on farms in the thumb, and I’ve had pickled pigs’ feet (pickled eggs, pickled bologna) courtesy of the jar in their fridge. My grandma used to say that in regards to pigs they used everything but the oink. 

Edited by thebutlerdidit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last night in Luminae my dw and I both ordered the halibut.  It was a substantial portion and delicious.  We also ordered the ribeye to split so we each had a surf and turf.  The ribeye was excellent.  No up charge for ordering an extra dinner.  They also gave us an anniversary cake by surprise as they somehow knew we missed our anniversary cruise last year due to the C virus.  They all came and sang to us.  What a great evening in Luminae!

A8B408B4-CE1E-4242-8F11-12762BA90048.jpeg

D8AB67ED-3BD7-4E84-A32A-E61FA7483C3F.jpeg

0C993E97-9A10-48DA-9046-4A208FC7401F.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

The food and beverage senior officer has come by our table in Luminae the past two nights.  Last night she had the ship’s executive chef with her too.  We discussed the “cutbacks” situation and the negative reaction in particular to the evening buffet.  Celebrity is well aware of the very negative feedback here on CC and other social media.  The reduced offerings in the evening buffet were implemented across the fleet to cut down on the high amount of food waste and associated cost.  I told her I understood but that it should have been communicated much more openly and not just implemented without warning.  In retrospect they know that.  Also she said Celebrity is listening and wanted me to communicate that to Cruise Critic.  They are looking at some  options to make the buffet have more selections in the evening.  Overall very good conversation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The food and beverage senior officer has come by our table in Luminae the past two nights.  Last night she had the ship’s executive chef with her too.  We discussed the “cutbacks” situation and the negative reaction in particular to the evening buffet.  Celebrity is well aware of the very negative feedback here on CC and other social media.  The reduced offerings in the evening buffet were implemented across the fleet to cut down on the high amount of food waste and associated cost.  I told her I understood but that it should have been communicated much more openly and not just implemented without warning.  In retrospect they know that.  Also she said Celebrity is listening and wanted me to communicate that to Cruise Critic.  They are looking at some  options to make the buffet have more selections in the evening.  Overall very good conversation.

Thank you for the report, that does sound encouraging that Celebrity is listening to feedback.  BTW you said the ribeye was very good, the picture looks good, the ribeye served on the Reflection last August was so tough we couldn't cut it with a steak knife.  There were many complaints that night over the beef quality.

26 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Thank you for the report, that does sound encouraging that Celebrity is listening to feedback.  BTW you said the ribeye was very good, the picture looks good, the ribeye served on the Reflection last August was so tough we couldn't cut it with a steak knife.  There were many complaints that night over the beef quality.

It was tender and cooked to order.  Medium.  Delicious.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

The reduced offerings in the evening buffet were implemented across the fleet to cut down on the high amount of food waste

With all due respect, I just don't believe this premise and would need to be convinced. I would have pushed back and asked how much food waste there is at carving stations and made to order grill stations (both of which they have cut back) vs. trays of food they put out (which remain).

Everything left in the trays needs to be thrown out. That's where the real waste is. Uncarved proteins can be re-purposed the next day and uncooked made to order food remains refrigerated to be cooked to order the next day. Why there are no longer beef spring rolls offered as a starter course in the MDR? Because there's no leftover beef from the carving station in the previous night's buffet.

Put simpler, the actions they've taken don't appear to match their stated purpose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

With all due respect, I just don't believe this premise and would need to be convinced. I would have pushed back and asked how much food waste there is at carving stations and made to order grill stations (both of which they have cut back) vs. trays of food they put out (which remain).

Everything left in the trays needs to be thrown out. That's where the real waste is. Uncarved proteins can be re-purposed the next day and uncooked made to order food remains refrigerated to be cooked to order the next day. Why there are no longer beef spring rolls offered as a starter course in the MDR? Because there's no leftover beef from the carving station in the previous night's buffet.

Put simpler, the actions they've taken don't appear to match their stated purpose.

Honestly we were in the middle of dinner and did not want to have a debate on this.  The news is that the senior officers are aware and trying to address the feedback.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

It’s dinner not a panel discussion 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We are on Apex now in a suite. If there is anything cut back it is hard to see. There may be one appetizer and one entrée missing but there is always something good to eat on the menu. 

you have to ask for some specific types of wine by the glass or you will get the everyday variety. 

we also talked to the FB person and executive chef table side. Mostly a PR tour of the restaurant but it is appreciated 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Honestly we were in the middle of dinner and did not want to have a debate on this.  The news is that the senior officers are aware and trying to address the feedback.

8 minutes ago, tfred said:

It’s dinner not a panel discussion 

Then why did the discussion of cutbacks even come up? All I'm saying is that if senior officers come by my table and tell me something that, in my opinion, isn't true, I'm going to ask for a few minutes of their time during the cruise to discuss further. I'm not looking for a fight, I'd be very happy to be convinced that I'm wrong about this.

• Like 1

They are interrupting  dining hours and using senior food staff to put out their excuses for buffet cutbacks.. like having the Cap take part in jewelry store previews! Sad!

All these smart f and people should be able to reduce quantities served whlle  serving high quality food beyond pork and beans , pasta, rice and bologna!

Must be an app for that!

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

They are interrupting  dining hours and using senior food staff to put out their excuses for buffet cutbacks.. like having the Cap take part in jewelry store previews! Sad!

All these smart f and people should be able to reduce quantities served whlle  serving high quality food beyond pork and beans , pasta, rice and bologna!

Must be an app for that!

If you are eating in Luminae one’s concern for the dinner buffet is pretty low.   I have eaten at high end tea and it is common for the executive chef to wander the room and talk to guests. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

I miss the old, old days when the waiter would bring out a tray showing you what all the desserts looked like. 

I also enjoyed that.   Often deserts look different when they arrive than the description.   With the tray I always knew what I was about to receive.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Then why did the discussion of cutbacks even come up? All I'm saying is that if senior officers come by my table and tell me something that, in my opinion, isn't true, I'm going to ask for a few minutes of their time during the cruise to discuss further. I'm not looking for a fight, I'd be very happy to be convinced that I'm wrong about this.

Nahh, I think you want to be convinced as to the reason you need to return to X for the food, when clearly you may not be enjoying it...

This results in a "polite" fight as in 'you are wrong and I Am right, now explain to me about this...'

When in reality, the comment card is the place to go for serious and great issues along with the reason(s) you will not sail X again. Hopefully you would get a call from The Office inquiring for additional info on your observations.

Just putting words in your mouth, so sorry about that...

bon appetit and bon voyage

19 minutes ago, tfred said:

If you are eating in Luminae one’s concern for the dinner buffet is pretty low.   I have eaten at high end tea and it is common for the executive chef to wander the room and talk to guests. 

DH has dietary restrictions and needs/should to eat smaller meals more often. He will normally go to the OC at 3pm and bring snacks back to the suite. Also after dinner he goes to the OC to get snacks for 9pm. We will see how things go in May. Might just have to use the butler more.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

How was the Luminae wines by the glass selection?

We like decoy Cabernet which we ordered most nights, we also brought on 4 bottles of good wine , love that they dropped the corkage fee if you have a drink package.