Food and dining on P&O ships

Tablelamp

On 2/12/2023 at 7:11 PM, carlanthony24 said:

It isn't though. Most webpages are all coded one wrong move and well you may end up with no website. Has people have suggested P&O IT is not so good. If you think its easy, maybe contact them and offer them a helping hand...

The menus on the website are obviously uploaded pdfs or Jpg files, which can easily be changed by uploading a new version, no code changes needed, I can upload pdfs to my website without recoding anything, I just backup site, upload pdf, should an error occur I just reload or in worst case restore site from backup. 

Large organisations such as P&O would have a mirror copy of website to test the changes on first before moving to live environment. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, snaefell said:

Probably a silly question but I know that Ocean Grill & Sindhu on P&O ships change the menu but is it as simple as a daily change,a change part/half way through the cruise or not as simple as that please guys?

Sindhu menu rotates on a weekly basis,  but in such a way that you would normally get both menus in any 7 day period, if that makes sense.

I think the Ocean Grill menu remains the same, but I am sure others will confirm one way or another.

Having read most of the comments on this thread you can see why P&O tend not to give out details they know can change. Exact port times, names of the guest acts in the theatre. There is always someone who will call ‘foul’. They have clearly found it easier to say very little because of these people. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

Probably a silly question but I know that Ocean Grill & Sindhu on P&O ships change the menu but is it as simple as a daily change,a change part/half way through the cruise or not as simple as that please guys?

Both menu's were changed weekly on our 40 night cruise in Nov/Dec. If you ask at the Ocean grill door they will tell you which day the menu changes.

7 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Both menu's were changed weekly on our 40 night cruise in Nov/Dec. If you ask at the Ocean grill door they will tell you which day the menu changes.

Thanks guys,I was hoping to get them booked before boarding(we sail May 14th,the planner says we can book from April 30th),I will probably pick a couple of dates to book in advance & hopefully do any fine tuning needed once on board!

21 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Just incase you feel peckish later?

Avril

We ate in the beach house on Monday and met up with BiL later. They commented that the MDR meal was very good with......prawn cocktail as a starter. Our beach house meal was superb. We have eaten in the MDR 3 times and those meals have been very good, possibly getting on for excellent. Not the largest portions ever, but I guess I will still put on a few pounds in the week. Glass house tonight. Although Azura is different to the bigger, newer ships, it is all fine. I'm glad the kid who designed the buffet got the sack. Chaotic at breakfast.

• Like 7

What is the difference between the two MDRs on Arvia. I know they have the same menu but I understand one has tablecloths and one doesn’t? Is that correct? I don’t mind if they don’t have tablecloths as long as they are nice tables, tiled etc. 

Which one is the general opinion to be the best to go to, and which is the most difficult to get into. 

Any info or opinion welcome. TIA

37 minutes ago, amajaa said:

What is the difference between the two MDRs on Arvia. I know they have the same menu but I understand one has tablecloths and one doesn’t? Is that correct? I don’t mind if they don’t have tablecloths as long as they are nice tables, tiled etc. 

Which one is the general opinion to be the best to go to, and which is the most difficult to get into. 

Any info or opinion welcome. TIA

Meridian doesn't have tablecloths, apart from the formal nights; they are wooden tables, but look cleaner than those in 🥄🥄🥄 . It also has a few tables next to the picture windows at the stern, whereas Zenith looks down onto those.

Both have a good mix of different sized tables.

We only ate in Zenith so I cannot compare the experiences; both though were busy on formal nights so book ahead.

Edited by TigerB

On 2/14/2023 at 6:33 AM, Snow Hill said:

The menus on the website are obviously uploaded pdfs or Jpg files, which can easily be changed by uploading a new version, no code changes needed, I can upload pdfs to my website without recoding anything, I just backup site, upload pdf, should an error occur I just reload or in worst case restore site from backup. 

Large organisations such as P&O would have a mirror copy of website to test the changes on first before moving to live environment. 

The sample menu pdf is named "GE19-006 CMC Dinner Menus 1-22.pdf", it's unlikely they will upload a new sample menu with the same name. Also the website is likely driven by a Content Management System and not a simple file upload. Having said all that, of course it should have been updated in 4 years. A sample menu from 2018 that is not even closely resembling the actual current menus and should be updated to reflect at least the principles (e.g. soup is part of the starters, there is no cheeseboard).

16 hours ago, TigerB said:

Meridian doesn't have tablecloths, apart from the formal nights; they are wooden tables, but look cleaner than those in 🥄🥄🥄 . It also has a few tables next to the picture windows at the stern, whereas Zenith looks down onto those.

Both have a good mix of different sized tables.

We only ate in Zenith so I cannot compare the experiences; both though were busy on formal nights so book ahead.

Thanks , might try a mix of both. 

Hello - may get quicker answers on here than trying to contact 'customer services' at P&O !

Our dining booking for departure Mar. 4th opened early a.m. today. Not many available...mainly 'ask on board', but Sindhu they want you to pay £10 per person, & Epicurean £24.

Now - is that just a cover charge IN ADDITION to the a la carte prices you'll be charged, or is it something they'll deduct when you eat, and charge only to make sure people actually turn up for their booking, having already paid some money ?

Also, since 'Chef's Table' is included on celebration nights, I booked one of them - but apart from a decent shirt & tie, am NOT going to have 'posh' clothes just for a couple of hours in a restaurant.

Any experience of what people seem to have been allowed to wear on these gala nights in the MDRs & at 'Chef's' ?

Many thanks - really quite a palaver for a 'holiday' !

Edited by CliveJ

8 minutes ago, CliveJ said:

Hello - may get quicker answers on nhere than trying to contact 'customer services' at P&O !

Our dining booking for departure Mar. 4th opened early a.m. today. Not many available...mainly 'ask on board', but Sindhu they want you to pay £10 per person, & Epicurean £24.

Now - is that just a cover charge IN ADDITION to the a la carte prices you'll be charged, or is it something they'll deduct when you eat, and charge only to make sure people actually turn up for their booking, having already paid some money ?

Also, since 'Chef's Table' is included on celebration nights, I booked one of them - but apart from a decent shirt & tie, am NOT going to have 'posh' clothes just for a couple of hours in a restaurant.

Any experience of what people seem to have been allowed to wear on these gala nights in the MDRs & at 'Chef's' ?

Many thanks - really quite a palaver for a 'holiday' !

Epicurean: £24 is what you pay pp, you won't pay any more, unless you get drinks. If you booked onboard it would have been £30. So, you have essentially received a 20% discount for booking ahead.

Sindhu:  As you have booked ahead, you will get 20% discount on each item of food; then at the end they also knock your £10 pp from the whole bill.

Usually, at least a suit or jacket is required in the MDR, including Chef's Table, on formal nights. That said, lots of fellas enter the dining room wearing a suit, and then remove their jacket when the sit down. I suppose it's down to your restaurant host / head waiter on the evening in question.