What is your favorite ship snack hack for port days?

Normajean999

In the UK this summer, we would grab an orange or a banana for our kids on the long bus rides, but I don't know if you can do that when going from the US to some other countries.  I know in one port I have even seen dogs sniffing for fruit and seen them asking people to open their bags. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Normajean999 said:

Favorite foods to grab and take in port when you don't want to spend a bunch of $ on food? I was thinking cold pizza.

One of the best things about visiting other places is the food. I would just eat a big breakfast, since it’s illegal to take prepared food off.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, britbritrawr09 said:

One of the best things about visiting other places is the food. I would just eat a big breakfast, since it’s illegal to take prepared food off.

Interesting I didn’t know that. I totally agree getting food is a great thing but not everyone can do that so was just looking for ideas. 

5 minutes ago, Normajean999 said:

Interesting I didn’t know that. I totally agree getting food is a great thing but not everyone can do that so was just looking for ideas. 

Where is your cruise too?  Maybe eat good before you get off and then go somewhere for a small snack that shouldn’t cost too much. Even an appetizer instead of a full meal? You can take prepackaged snacks off. I would pack them so you know you have something you like.I’m a super frugal traveler so I understand. I try to look for places that have deals or happy hours. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, britbritrawr09 said:

Where is your cruise too?  Maybe eat good before you get off and then go somewhere for a small snack that shouldn’t cost too much. Even an appetizer instead of a full meal? You can take prepackaged snacks off. I would pack them so you know you have something you like.I’m a super frugal traveler so I understand. I try to look for places that have deals or happy hours. 

Catalina Island. No worries we can eat up before. I’m don’t normally eat until later in the day. But all good. I’ll be sure to bring a few snack bars then. I was going to tell the teens they can get ice cream or a goodie but don’t plan on real food until Ensenada. We need tacos and churros for sure!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Normajean999 said:

There are big signs where you get off the ship telling you to dispose of food before exiting the ship.  Only packaged, unopened commercial  food, water and sealed nonalcoholic, non dairy drinks 

12 hours ago, Normajean999 said:

Catalina Island. No worries we can eat up before. I’m don’t normally eat until later in the day. But all good. I’ll be sure to bring a few snack bars then. I was going to tell the teens they can get ice cream or a goodie but don’t plan on real food until Ensenada. We need tacos and churros for sure!

I have done Catalina and they have places with chips salsa and stuff like that for really cheap.a lot of their bars have happy hours. They have a really good gelato place! 

• Like 1

You can only take sealed, nonalcoholic drinks and sealed, prepackaged foods (no fresh fruits/veggies or meats) off the ship. It will get confiscated and trashed, and in some cases, you can be fined.

Best and safest bet would be to buy some prepackaged favorite snacks at home and bring those with you onboard - I usually bring crackers or granola bars, but will usually get something local to eat as well (ex: small meal/appetizer or snacks from a convenience store).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, britbritrawr09 said:

I think that depends on where you are debarking.  Not all ports are foreign countries/ports from your embarkation port. 

Also, sometimes there are long bus rides before you get where you are going.  When you are traveling with kids or someone who gets car sick or someone with blood sugar issues, it is just common sense to have pre-packaged food with you.