Medical disembark

sterling2

We were on the Island Princess world cruise beginning January 19. January 20 my husband got an infection in a toe. Went to medical Saturday. They began IV antibiotics and said he would have to see a vascular surgeon when we arrived in Honolulu onJanuary 24. We were medically disembarked in Honolulu and went to a hospital. About 4 hours later my husband’s toe was amputated. We’re still in the hospital, waiting for at home medical to be arranged before being fit to fly home. Care assistance at AON Insurance calls everyday as do Princess Family assistance. Both cruises have been canceled - 100% penalty for 1st segment and 75% for 2nd segment. I’m looking for tips on filing a claim for primarily  the cruise fare. We think the bill for ship’s medical was reasonable and thought the entire medical staff were outstanding. The doctor on board was kind, knowledgeable and empathetic. Couldn’t have asked for more.

We are looking for tips etc. on getting a claim filed for the penalties from Princess. Obviously it’s a large amount for a world cruise. Thanks for any advice.

35 minutes ago, sterling2 said:

We were on the Island Princess world cruise beginning January 19. January 20 my husband got an infection in a toe. Went to medical Saturday. They began IV antibiotics and said he would have to see a vascular surgeon when we arrived in Honolulu onJanuary 24. We were medically disembarked in Honolulu and went to a hospital. About 4 hours later my husband’s toe was amputated. We’re still in the hospital, waiting for at home medical to be arranged before being fit to fly home. Care assistance at AON Insurance calls everyday as do Princess Family assistance. Both cruises have been canceled - 100% penalty for 1st segment and 75% for 2nd segment. I’m looking for tips on filing a claim for primarily  the cruise fare. We think the bill for ship’s medical was reasonable and thought the entire medical staff were outstanding. The doctor on board was kind, knowledgeable and empathetic. Couldn’t have asked for more.

We are looking for tips etc. on getting a claim filed for the penalties from Princess. Obviously it’s a large amount for a world cruise. Thanks for any advice.

I’m so sorry for your DH and you, having to go through all this.  Hope he recovers quickly and you get home soon.

If AON calls to check on your DH, then ask them exactly what you need to do to file your claim.  How you claim the cruise fare lost, hotels, meals, airline tickets, etc.

Did you get a copy of the medical records from the ship?  If not, ask Princess assistance team for this to be emailed to you as soon as possible.  You will need to keep receipts and records of everything.  

As soon as your home, with all the records, then you’ll be able to submit to insurance.  The medical: they will probably tell you to submit to your medical insurance first.  Just ask them for clear instructions.  

Wishing you two all the best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I’m so sorry for your DH and you, having to go through all this.  Hope he recovers quickly and you get home soon.

If AON calls to check on your DH, then ask them exactly what you need to do to file your claim.  How you claim the cruise fare lost, hotels, meals, airline tickets, etc.

Did you get a copy of the medical records from the ship?  If not, ask Princess assistance team for this to be emailed to you as soon as possible.  You will need to keep receipts and records of everything.  

As soon as your home, with all the records, then you’ll be able to submit to insurance.  The medical: they will probably tell you to submit to your medical insurance first.  Just ask them for clear instructions.  

Wishing you two all the best.

Thank you so much.

Wow...that is terrible!  So sorry he is going through this.  And...very nice to hear that AON is checking in with you like this.  I don't think I have ever seen any reports of this from anybody here on CC.  Nice to hear that they can do something positive!  Tell him we are pulling for him and wish him well.  Sorry you've missed a trip that I'm sure you've really been looking forward to.

We were on the Island Princess on the Trans-Atlantic cruise which departed Rome in December. While crossing the Ocean my wife started to have chest pains and her BP went high. We went to the ships medical office and saw the doctor. The performed tests and said that it was not a heart attack. Some meds were prescribed and given to her by the medical staff. Now, 3 days into a 7 day crossing her pain became so severe and her BP went so high that the medical staff decided to keep her in the medical unit until we reached Ft. Lauderdale. The staff of the ship's medical office were outstanding and managed to get her BP under control while on the ship. (We were too far from land for an air evac.)

When we reached Ft. Lauderdale my wife was taken by ambulance to the Broward Medical Center where she spent 5 days. It was determined that she had 2 blocked (one 70% the other 90%) arteries.

We purchased Princess Insurance (the higher rate) and we also have coverage from Tri-Care for life. We assume (maybe) that between them they will pay the on board medical charges. For the Ft. Lauderdale stay we will use Tri-Care and Medicare.

Yesterday, I received a letter from the Princess Credit and Collections Department requesting full payment. I replied that we do not have funds available to pay and that we were insured by their recommended insurance carrier that we wait and let the companies (Tri-Care and AON) settle things.

W have provided AON with the documentation they requested with the exception of the "Attending Physician" report (Doctor is somewhere out there on the Island princess on the world cruise Any suggestions or opinions as what to do next?

10 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Wow...that is terrible!  So sorry he is going through this.  And...very nice to hear that AON is checking in with you like this.  I don't think I have ever seen any reports of this from anybody here on CC.  Nice to hear that they can do something positive!  Tell him we are pulling for him and wish him well.  Sorry you've missed a trip that I'm sure you've really been looking forward to.

I typed a reply and it disappeared. Thank you. AON Care Assistance is who is calling. They assist with emergencies and with getting us home when he’s discharged. He’s very disappointed but there are always blessings - we’re thankful we were able to get off in Honolulu rather than it happening later in the cruise.

8 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

We were on the Island Princess on the Trans-Atlantic cruise which departed Rome in December. While crossing the Ocean my wife started to have chest pains and her BP went high. We went to the ships medical office and saw the doctor. The performed tests and said that it was not a heart attack. Some meds were prescribed and given to her by the medical staff. Now, 3 days into a 7 day crossing her pain became so severe and her BP went so high that the medical staff decided to keep her in the medical unit until we reached Ft. Lauderdale. The staff of the ship's medical office were outstanding and managed to get her BP under control while on the ship. (We were too far from land for an air evac.)

When we reached Ft. Lauderdale my wife was taken by ambulance to the Broward Medical Center where she spent 5 days. It was determined that she had 2 blocked (one 70% the other 90%) arteries.

We purchased Princess Insurance (the higher rate) and we also have coverage from Tri-Care for life. We assume (maybe) that between them they will pay the on board medical charges. For the Ft. Lauderdale stay we will use Tri-Care and Medicare.

Yesterday, I received a letter from the Princess Credit and Collections Department requesting full payment. I replied that we do not have funds available to pay and that we were insured by their recommended insurance carrier that we wait and let the companies (Tri-Care and AON) settle things.

W have provided AON with the documentation they requested with the exception of the "Attending Physician" report (Doctor is somewhere out there on the Island princess on the world cruise Any suggestions or opinions as what to do next?

First, let me say I hope your DW is fully recovering.  What a scary event for

you two.  

This is the email address I have if you need to request medical records from a Princess ship.

mrecordsrequests@carnival.com

Here’s another for the medical team:

You may want to copy them:

guestmedical@hagroup

I hope it helps.

I am so sorry that your world cruise is being cut short by this most unfortunate medical event.  I hope your husband is on the mend.  

I agree that you being disembarked in Honolulu was a good call.  

May I offer you a few options as he recovers.

1.  If he needs to transfer to a rehab hospital. Rehab Hospital of the Pacific is excellent.  Food is good.  Equipment and physical therapy is excellent.  Usually, this is just a intermediant location (less than 7 days).

2.  Medicare will pick up most of the charges.

3.  If he needs to transfer again to another location until he fully recovers enough to travel, Maunalani Nursing and Rehabilitation is the **** star "resort" of rehabs.  It will not have a place for you to stay, can be far away for visits, but the view is outstanding.  The physical therapy is on campus and excellent care is given.  You will be able to have meals with him for a minimal charge.

https://maunalaninursing.org

4.  The staff at Rehab of the Pacific will work with you to set up a place to continue his recovery.  

Malama Pono as you begin this next journey.  

• Like 1

In addition to what the others have said you should probably get a letter from treating physician at the hospital stating that due to his medical condition travel/cruising is not recommended for the period covering the cruises you have to cancel.

I am very sorry to hear your cruise was interrupted due to health issues. Here is the link to file a claim with AON  https://www.aontravelclaim.com/#/home

there is a form ( Attending Physician Report) AON asks you to get the doctor to fill out. If you are still seeing doctors it might be helpful to take a copy of this form directly to the doctor providing the current treatments and have them indicate you cannot cruise at this time (We have also sent in the after visit summary and they accepted that as proof of valid medical issue for cruise fare refund).

My overall tip is to save things like: medical after visit summary, discharge paperwork, hotel receipts, meal receipts, receipts for costs to change air ( old ticket numbers, new ticket numbers), any correspondence with the airline. Save any receipt for an expense related to this unexpected change to your trip. Also any document that shows medical expenses that your medical insurance did not cover.

if Princess didn’t give you medical information when you left the ship- request it and let them know it is for insurance claim for both primary insurance and AON claim. You can attach the “attending physician report” that AON wants and ask that it be filled out to document the situation that required your disembarkation for medical treatment.

Here’s the most recent contact information I have:
Mrecordsrequest@carnival.com
661-753-2680

• Like 1

Hope it wasn't a Big Toe.That can be a real problem. Off the wall things like this is why we carry Medjet Assist. If one of us is admitted to a hospital they will fly us home - with medical staff - and we can do our hospital time and recovery time at our local hospital or home. I have this on my mind as I just renewed for another year.

Glad your husband is doing well. Hope the insurance stuff works out easier than you are thinking it might. There's good advice in the posts above this. Gotta love the helping folks here on CC.

• Like 5

An afterthought.  I did check this place out:

https://ivyliving.com/theivyhawaiikai/

You would need to give them a call for up to date information.  But when I checked out this place:

1.  You could "rent" a room for you and your husband on a month to month rate, fully furnished with all meals.

2.  They had a limited physical therapist but would probably drive you to the closest one.

3.  It is a senior residential home that many snow birds use for months out of the year when they come to Honolulu.

4.  I don't recall if they would ask you for a deposit or "registration fee".

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

An afterthought.  I did check this place out:

https://ivyliving.com/theivyhawaiikai/

You would need to give them a call for up to date information.  But when I checked out this place:

1.  You could "rent" a room for you and your husband on a month to month rate, fully furnished with all meals.

2.  They had a limited physical therapist but would probably drive you to the closest one.

3.  It is a senior residential home that many snow birds use for months out of the year when they come to Honolulu.

4.  I don't recall if they would ask you for a deposit or "registration fee".

Thank you for this info. Fortunately he is able to fly home as soon as at home medical care is set up but we really appreciate all the info you provided. Hopefully he will be discharged Monday or Tuesday.

• Like 3

You have a long flight home.  See if you can request a portable DVT device.  

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/dvt-prevention-intermittent-pneumatic-compression-devices

It will require a prescription and maybe a pre-authorization from your physician.  Some insurance companies will cover it, others won't.  I had to really work at my insurance company to pay (at least a portion of it) when I broke a bone near my baby toe.  

Glad he will be released soon.  I think this deserves a first class ticket home.  Too bad that can't be claimed to Princess.  

Hawaii has great medical support and care (even though we are short of doctors).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

You have a long flight home.  See if you can request a portable DVT device.  

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/dvt-prevention-intermittent-pneumatic-compression-devices

It will require a prescription and maybe a pre-authorization from your physician.  Some insurance companies will cover it, others won't.  I had to really work at my insurance company to pay (at least a portion of it) when I broke a bone near my baby toe.  

Glad he will be released soon.  I think this deserves a first class ticket home.  Too bad that can't be claimed to Princess.  

Hawaii has great medical support and care (even though we are short of doctors).

My husband has been very happy with his medical care, particularly his vascular  surgeon. We really want to fly first class. He would be miserable in economy.  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to our post with all your suggestions and good thoughts. It’s much appreciated.

• Like 4

Just out of curiosity (not necessary to share if you don’t care to), was he taken to Queen’s Hospital?  Who was his surgeon?  Who was his anesthesiologist? 

or privately communicate with me at

princess   username   A T   Gmail  dot  cxx

Hope you have more question.  I like sharing my island!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, sterling2 said:

My husband has been very happy with his medical care, particularly his vascular  surgeon. We really want to fly first class. He would be miserable in economy.  Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to our post with all your suggestions and good thoughts. It’s much appreciated.

Hope you had Dr Dean Sato! He amputated my Moms toe.

13 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Just out of curiosity (not necessary to share if you don’t care to), was he taken to Queen’s Hospital?  Who was his surgeon?  Who was his anesthesiologist? 

or privately communicate with me at

princess   username   A T   Gmail  dot  cxx

Hope you have more question.  I like sharing my island!

My Mom came to HNL in 1946 to work as a scrub nurse at Queens. Met my Dad, a Paia Maui boy and stayed till she passed in 2019. One of my high school friends is the Chief Physician at Queens ( he studied, I played foootball). 

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

My Mom came to HNL in 1946 to work as a scrub nurse at Queens. Met my Dad, a Paia Maui boy and stayed till she passed in 2019. One of my high school friends is the Chief Physician at Queens ( he studied, I played foootball). 

Hawaii is such a small place (even with over a million residents).  My daughter's classmates are at Queens.  One is an anesthesiologist.  I know of a good cardiologist (2) there too.  

I am surprised you and I have never crossed paths (Hawaii or Signal Hill).  You should have studied more instead of becoming a pilot.  BTW...ever crew with Representative Kahele?

My apologies to @sterling2.  Don't mean to hijack your thread.  Hope all is going well this Monday for you and your husband.  Hawaii folks are so friendly.