Questioning Elite Benefits

CRLess

1 hour ago, cdrmer said:

Purchased a shore excursion for an upcoming cruise and was charged the full amount. Thought elite passengers received a 10% discount. Any changes recently eliminating the discount?

Discount still there. If you buy before the cruise you pay the full price. Then you get the 10% back as obc on board.

On 2/12/2023 at 10:22 AM, memoak said:

We are elite and sail in full suites. Laundry does not always come back in 24 hours. It is fast but I would not count on 24

True on the Suite benefit.  In by 9 AM (maybe even later) and back by the end of the next day.

Edited by jagoffee

1 hour ago, jagoffee said:

True on the Suite benefit.  In by 9 AM (maybe even later) and back by the end of the next day.

I have always gotten my (suite) laundry back by the time my steward ends his day : same day service.  I try to get it to him the night before (or tell him I will have it outside my door first thing in the morning before 9).  

The only time it did not get returned was on turn around day or when he mistakenly placed it in "ordinary" laundry basket.  I do not fret...nothing is that critical that it really has to be returned immediately.  That's a good reason why I overpack.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TracieABD said:

@CRLess What would be really nice is if Elite were given a break on the Princess Plus package- to offset the benefits they will not need or use (e.g. wifi, minibar, etc...). I would propose a 20% to 25% discount. It would possibly get non-drinking Elite members to consider the package as well- because by the time you factor the wifi, auto-grats, bevvies like waters/ coffees/ mocktails into the mix- it might actually be worth it to have the package.

This would follow the trajectory of the "watering down" of the wifi benefit.  I could see princess nixing the minibar setup so elite passengers could get the plus package for "only" $40 per day.  From a business perspective, they stand to make revenue where they might not have before, and have a lower outlay of benefits.  It's pretty obvious that the initial $40 per day Plus price was a hit, and therefore they've raised it to $60, and bundled in some exercise classes that will either be sparingly attended, or way too crowded, and some deserts that seem great for kids?

Careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have always gotten my (suite) laundry back by the time my steward ends his day : same day service.  I try to get it to him the night before (or tell him I will have it outside my door first thing in the morning before 9).  

The only time it did not get returned was on turn around day or when he mistakenly placed it in "ordinary" laundry basket.  I do not fret...nothing is that critical that it really has to be returned immediately.  That's a good reason why I overpack.  

I have ever received my (suite) laundry back on the same day, but I have never  asked for it in the same day?  Why do you ask for the same day?  Do you check the same day box?  I have always just assumed that the next day is the intended (suite) laundry benefit? I did not want to risk paying a surcharge for the same day.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I have ever received my (suite) laundry back on the same day, but I have never  asked for it in the same day?  Why do you ask for the same day?  Do you check the same day box?  I have always just assumed that the next day is the intended (suite) laundry benefit? I did not want to risk paying a surcharge for the same day.

Thanks.

Express service (same day) is a suite perk (yes, you have to check the box).  Why do I do it?  Less time for it to get lost.  I can pack less. No extra charge.  Sometimes laundry can take more than a few days.  Just because ?????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Express service (same day) is a suite perk (yes, you have to check the box).  Why do I do it?  Less time for it to get lost.  I can pack less. No extra charge.  Sometimes laundry can take more than a few days.  Just because ?????

Thank you for your explanation.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 11:42 AM, cdrmer said:

Purchased a shore excursion for an upcoming cruise and was charged the full amount. Thought elite passengers received a 10% discount. Any changes recently eliminating the discount?

I also paid full price prior to the cruise but once onboard the credit was showing on my shipboard account already

15 hours ago, jagoffee said:

For it to be returned the same day, the cabin steward must have it by 9 AM.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, caribill said:

For it to be returned the same day, the cabin steward must have it by 9 AM.

Thanks.  I have learned something from this thread.  I always thought it would be return the next day as long as it was handed in by 9 AM.  Although I would seldom have a situation where the laundry would need to be back the same day, it is good to have that option if necessary.(reference to the suite laundry benefit)

Edited by jagoffee

On 2/13/2023 at 12:42 PM, cdrmer said:

On 2/13/2023 at 12:50 PM, t&atravel said:

The discount will be on your folio when you board as a refundable credit

On 2/13/2023 at 2:15 PM, PacnGoNow said:

You’ll see it on your account when you get OB, as a refundable OBC. 

I was initially confused by this as well. When you board you will already have a credit for all the excursions you've paid for. Then there will be a charge for all the booked excursions and then your 10% credit is on there as well.

Once the cruise commences, if a port is missed or an excursion is otherwise cancelled, the excursion charge and the discount drops off your portfolio but the credit for your payments remains. All is good.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:52 PM, CRLess said:

Just got back a week or so ago from a wonderful cruise on the Enchanted.  My wife and I were discussing how we would each fill out our surveys, and we both came to the same conclusion....if you purchase the Princess Plus, what benefit do you receive by being a loyal customer that achieved Elite status?  With Princess Plus, internet is included, drinks are included, so the mini bar set up is meaningless.  The Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge doesn't really provide any true benefit...you can get appetizers at the buffet.  Princess has eliminated the "spa" related toiletries in your stateroom (not that we ever cared about that), the bonus loyalty OBC was eliminated with the pandemic, so the only true benefits Elite members get right now is the 10% off in the shop, and priority boarding/tenders.  Did I miss anything?

I guess what I am questioning is that a first time cruiser can essentially have almost the same cruise benefits by purchasing the Princess Plus package that loyal Princess passengers have.  Has Princess abandoned those of us that are loyal to the brand?  With the advent of the Princess Plus and Premium, there needs to be some sort of trade-off to the cost of the "all in" packages for loyal passengers.  I think Princess needs to take a hard look at their loyalty programs and evaluate what true benefits their most loyal passengers should have as a benefit.

The difference is Plus and Premier customers had to pay for some things you receive at no charge.  If you were elite with an airline, would you begrudge those who pay for the first class seat that you get upgraded to for free?

The fact that Elite and Platinum passengers are offered 50% off internet but no discounted rate from Plus makes little sense to me. I hope such a benefit (discounted Plus package) becomes an option one day. It would be a cost-effective way to keep passengers loyal to their line.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BamaVol said:

The difference is Plus and Premier customers had to pay for some things you receive at no charge.  If you were elite with an airline, would you begrudge those who pay for the first class seat that you get upgraded to for free?

You are missing my point completely.  First of all, I don't begrudge anyone that pays to play, so to speak.  The whole point of my thread is that our Elite benefits have been minimized (meaning our loyalty to the cruise line) by them now offering an up-charge experience to anyone that wants to pay more, to experience many of the Elite benefits we have had in the past, simply makes our loyalty worth less. Plain and simple.  I get that many of you on this thread don't drink, have no problem sending your laundry out, exchange your mini bar set up for coffee cards,  and enjoy the 10% discount on shore excursions.  That's great.  You do you

I am simply trying to relay my experience as to how my wife and I cruise. We enjoy our cocktails and wine, always leave our crew appreciation (tips) on our account, and use unlimited internet on our devices.  So the Princess Plus is what works for us...sort of.  

Before I get into that, I need to add that we also always tip our room steward and "people that made a difference" above and beyond (Sanctuary, dining room, specialty restaurants, etc) the "crew appreciation" amount.

So getting back to my comment on the Princess Plus above...my wife and I enjoy our wines before dinner every night.  On the cruise we just got off on the Enchanted, we had the Princess Plus, and paid extra for our wines/drinks that exceeded what the Plus package allowed.  The math at the end said that we should get the Princess Premier going forward.

For the way we cruise (which is different than many of the Elites obviously), please explain how my personal elite benefits (loyalty)  have not been eroded by the addition of the Plus/Premier.  I ask again, what am I getting, as a loyal Princess cruiser, that any first time cruiser with Princess Premier gets, that I don't as an Elite?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CRLess said:

You are missing my point completely.  First of all, I don't begrudge anyone that pays to play, so to speak.  The whole point of my thread is that our Elite benefits have been minimized (meaning our loyalty to the cruise line) by them now offering an up-charge experience to anyone that wants to pay more, to experience many of the Elite benefits we have had in the past, simply makes our loyalty worth less. Plain and simple.  I get that many of you on this thread don't drink, have no problem sending your laundry out, exchange your mini bar set up for coffee cards,  and enjoy the 10% discount on shore excursions.  That's great.  You do you

I am simply trying to relay my experience as to how my wife and I cruise. We enjoy our cocktails and wine, always leave our crew appreciation (tips) on our account, and use unlimited internet on our devices.  So the Princess Plus is what works for us...sort of.  

Before I get into that, I need to add that we also always tip our room steward and "people that made a difference" above and beyond (Sanctuary, dining room, specialty restaurants, etc) the "crew appreciation" amount.

So getting back to my comment on the Princess Plus above...my wife and I enjoy our wines before dinner every night.  On the cruise we just got off on the Enchanted, we had the Princess Plus, and paid extra for our wines/drinks that exceeded what the Plus package allowed.  The math at the end said that we should get the Princess Premier going forward.

For the way we cruise (which is different than many of the Elites obviously), please explain how my personal elite benefits (loyalty)  have not been eroded by the addition of the Plus/Premier.  I ask again, what am I getting, as a loyal Princess cruiser, that any first time cruiser with Princess Premier gets, that I don't as an Elite?

Anyone that has booked a suite have been able to ask the same question for years.  After all they can early boarding, laundry, mini bar, etc.    The same if you buy a package pretty much the same you can some of the benefits, though you can still take the minibar contents home, but you still have others laundry, excursion discount, tender priority.  

Now if you get both a suite and buy a package then you get the satisfaction of knowing that Princess is making a lot of money from you, the same as someone buying a business class seat, instead of upgrading to it. If you want to spend that much then really how much does a couple of hundred dollars of the value of the benefits really matter.  Pretty much the same logic when they added the benefits to the suites.  If one was willing to spend that much on a suite the value of the benefits was not much of a consideration.

Those people that want to buy the packages or the suites are going to do so and the benefits are not going to really impact the decision much in most cases.  They either like the product that they are getting for their money or they don't.   Either way the value of the benefits are not going to be a big influence for most.

Might as well ask what you are getting for loyalty with an airline or hotel chain as they devalue their miles and points. I can get Hilton Diamond status or top status with IHG just by having the right credit card. At least with Princess you can make the choice to pay less and make the most of the benefits, or pay for the suites and/or packages and devalue the benefits.

As you put it you do you and you made it clear what your choice is.

Edited by ldtr

On 2/10/2023 at 8:33 PM, Banditdog said:

I too am elite status, but like to do my own laundry. I go to the service desk and ask for laundry coins for the washer and dryer machines. Which I feel is a big plus. 

They'll give free laundry coins to Elites? Last cruise I occasionally did our own laundry and paid each time. Thanks for this info.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:42 AM, cdrmer said:

Same, but they took off  $60 OBC that showed in my account, then charged my credit card the full balance. So after I am on board, they will add discount back to OBC?

Edited by mlgb

20 minutes ago, mlgb said:

Same, but they took off  $60 OBC that showed in my account, then charged my credit card the full balance. So after I am on board, they will add discount back to OBC?

On the excursions I have been purchasing they take OBC first, then charge if there is not enough obc by person. On line that is determined by each individual so even if one has lots of obc and the other does not, the person without obc will be charged.

What happens on board is the amount paid by cc will show up as a credit, along with the original obc amounts, then the full price of the excursions will show up as debits on the account. The 10% discounts will also show up as additional obc.

23 hours ago, AlibearNS said:
23 hours ago, AlibearNS said:
  On 2/11/2023 at 11:33 AM, Banditdog said:

I too am elite status, but like to do my own laundry. I go to the service desk and ask for laundry coins for the washer and dryer machines. Which I feel is a big plus. 

They'll give free laundry coins to Elites? Last cruise I occasionally did our own laundry and paid each time. Thanks for this info.

I've never heard of this before either. It's a little vague. Perhaps we should not assume the laundry coins were free i.e. Banditdog was just getting change at the "service desk".

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bill B said:

I've never heard of this before either. It's a little vague. Perhaps we should not assume the laundry coins were free i.e. Banditdog was just getting change at the "service desk".

I thought all ships use medallions/cards to charge stateroom before dispensing coins? I've heard that on the Discovery there's no charge at all, which if true is amazing.

I'd love it if someone can confirm if Elites can get coins free from Guest Services for self laundry? I do send to the laundry, but we also do at least one wash and dry ourselves.

4 minutes ago, AlibearNS said:

I thought all ships use medallions/cards to charge stateroom before dispensing coins? I've heard that on the Discovery there's no charge at all, which if true is amazing.

I'd love it if someone can confirm if Elites can get coins free from Guest Services for self laundry? I do send to the laundry, but we also do at least one wash and dry ourselves.

Some ships do give elites free tokens at GS.  You just have to ask if they do.

Before you go To GS, try the washer first. If it’s free for all, you can push the coin slide in, as though you have tokens in it.  If it pushes in…you don’t need a token. You can just start the washer/dryer. Some ships have not been charging.

That varies between ships and could change any time.

Sometimes we may do a load ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Some ships do give elites free tokens at GS.  You just have to ask if they do.

Before you go To GS, try the washer first. If it’s free for all, you can push the coin slide in, as though you have tokens in it.  If it pushes in…you don’t need a token. You can just start the washer/dryer. Some ships have not been charging.

That varies between ships and could change any time.

Sometimes we may do a load ourselves.

Another inconsistency?  How would you know?  Do you load your clothes and detergent, then cross your fingers?  

I would be happy if they offered free coin laundry to elites.  Imagine how much Princess would save if they didn’t have to do elites’ laundry.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Another inconsistency?  How would you know?  Do you load your clothes and detergent, then cross your fingers?  

I would be happy if they offered free coin laundry to elites.  Imagine how much Princess would save if they didn’t have to do elites’ laundry.  

No, don’t load, just step in and see if the slide works.  If not, go to GS and ask for tokens.

No…I don’t want to do my laundry.  And they iron them too and hang.  Don’t go there. 😳

Were you on my March Spring break CB last year?  We had over 500 b2b’s on one of them.

• Haha 1