Questioning Elite Benefits

CRLess

7 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Were you on my March Spring break CB last year?  We had over 500 b2b’s on one of them.

No, I don’t think we have been on the same ship.  I avoid vacation times and most Caribbean voyages.

I forgot about the ironing…. I certainly do not do that chore at home.  Thanks for the reminder!  

Look forward to the day you and I are on the same ship. Goes for many who I have developed a “friendship” with here.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 2

On 2/7/2023 at 10:52 PM, CRLess said:

Just got back a week or so ago from a wonderful cruise on the Enchanted.  My wife and I were discussing how we would each fill out our surveys, and we both came to the same conclusion....if you purchase the Princess Plus, what benefit do you receive by being a loyal customer that achieved Elite status?  With Princess Plus, internet is included, drinks are included, so the mini bar set up is meaningless.  The Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge doesn't really provide any true benefit...you can get appetizers at the buffet.  Princess has eliminated the "spa" related toiletries in your stateroom (not that we ever cared about that), the bonus loyalty OBC was eliminated with the pandemic, so the only true benefits Elite members get right now is the 10% off in the shop, and priority boarding/tenders.  Did I miss anything?

I guess what I am questioning is that a first time cruiser can essentially have almost the same cruise benefits by purchasing the Princess Plus package that loyal Princess passengers have.  Has Princess abandoned those of us that are loyal to the brand?  With the advent of the Princess Plus and Premium, there needs to be some sort of trade-off to the cost of the "all in" packages for loyal passengers.  I think Princess needs to take a hard look at their loyalty programs and evaluate what true benefits their most loyal passengers should have as a benefit.

We used to cruise Princess quite a bit! Elite members too!
But have been on celebrity to elite loyalty now and free alcoholic drinks 5 pm to 7 pm specialty breakfast and Bloody Mary drinks, high tea, 2 bags of free laundry, 1 dry cleaning, 2 pressing.
Separate Diamond on RCL and now post covid19 4 drinks each per day, wife doesn’t drink so I often don’t use 8 drinks a day but it’s a great perk, plus espresso coffee in Diamond lounge too! And celebrity and RCL interchangeably.

. Ncl has 2 free specialty’s dinners and wine and 1 bag laundry. So I guess spreading are our loyalty is paying off. I would advise any young folks to spread their cruises around to find what they love! Didn’t start cruising until we’re 40 and now at age 68 over 45 cruises spread around.

• Like 1

If I switch the mini bar out for all diet cokes how many would that be?  

I was going to purchase the soda plan and switch the mini bar set up for coffee cards but now there isn't an option to purchase either package in the personalizer. I NEED my diet coke. I will drink the free coffee but I NEED my diet coke!! 😂

IMO ‘free internet for a specific amount of minutes’ used to be the BEST free perk for us.  Why? because back then, the internet usually worked! Now we’re paying (50% off) for a product that mostly doesn’t even work…that seems like a rip off to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrammyJill said:

I was going to purchase the soda plan and switch the mini bar set up for coffee cards but now there isn't an option to purchase either package in the personalizer. I NEED my diet coke. I will drink the free coffee but I NEED my diet coke!! 😂

Mini-bar is 10 alcohol, 10 non-alcohol. Switch it all for diet Coke, 20 total.. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GrammyJill said:

They are messing with the soda and coffee packages.  They must think a coffee lover is a soda lover!  NOT!

Bottomline, money.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:52 PM, CRLess said:

Just got back a week or so ago from a wonderful cruise on the Enchanted.  My wife and I were discussing how we would each fill out our surveys, and we both came to the same conclusion....if you purchase the Princess Plus, what benefit do you receive by being a loyal customer that achieved Elite status?  With Princess Plus, internet is included, drinks are included, so the mini bar set up is meaningless.  The Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge doesn't really provide any true benefit...you can get appetizers at the buffet.  Princess has eliminated the "spa" related toiletries in your stateroom (not that we ever cared about that), the bonus loyalty OBC was eliminated with the pandemic, so the only true benefits Elite members get right now is the 10% off in the shop, and priority boarding/tenders.  Did I miss anything?

I guess what I am questioning is that a first time cruiser can essentially have almost the same cruise benefits by purchasing the Princess Plus package that loyal Princess passengers have.  Has Princess abandoned those of us that are loyal to the brand?  With the advent of the Princess Plus and Premium, there needs to be some sort of trade-off to the cost of the "all in" packages for loyal passengers.  I think Princess needs to take a hard look at their loyalty programs and evaluate what true benefits their most loyal passengers should have as a benefit.

I am 62. My generation as well as earlier generations are brand loyal. We will only buy name brands like Jello, Tide and Bounty paper towels. If it's not broke don't fix it. We are the ones who benefit from loyalty programs and get sucked in by them. If you read any of these boards long enough you will come to realize that it's the highest tiered members who complain the most of watered down benefits and not being appreciated for their loyalty and think that the cruise lines should create higher tiers and add more freebies.

My guess is that Princess and other cruise lines are finding that in general Millennials are not brand loyal and will look for a bargain or what they consider a good deal. The older generation is not looking for unlimited drink packages or WiFi service. They use their phones for communication not social media and they don't check in for a flight or load a boarding pass to the wallet on their phone. Instead they use the free minutes to check in on the ships computer and print out a boarding pass. Many don't drink due to health conditions or just not liking it so the free mini bar is enough for their needs. My generation is fading out and the cruise lines are accommodating the next generation trying to compete for their business by alluring them with what they think is a good deal. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I am 62. My generation as well as earlier generations are brand loyal. We will only buy name brands like Jello, Tide and Bounty paper towels. If it's not broke don't fix it. We are the ones who benefit from loyalty programs and get sucked in by them. If you read any of these boards long enough you will come to realize that it's the highest tiered members who complain the most of watered down benefits and not being appreciated for their loyalty and think that the cruise lines should create higher tiers and add more freebies.

My guess is that Princess and other cruise lines are finding that in general Millennials are not brand loyal and will look for a bargain or what they consider a good deal. The older generation is not looking for unlimited drink packages or WiFi service. They use their phones for communication not social media and they don't check in for a flight or load a boarding pass to the wallet on their phone. Instead they use the free minutes to check in on the ships computer and print out a boarding pass. Many don't drink due to health conditions or just not liking it so the free mini bar is enough for their needs. My generation is fading out and the cruise lines are accommodating the next generation trying to compete for their business by alluring them with what they think is a good deal. 

I had to chuckle when I read your comment because I am your age and my DH is entering the next decade of life.  Anyway, just apply the apply the opposite of what you wrote and that would be us!  To each his own, I guess!   Certainly not a criticism of how you feel .. and we may be the outlier to our generation’s analysis, but in general, that’s not really what we see.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

We are in our 70’ and totally use the drinks packages the WiFi daily (how else would we do our Wordle) etc etc.  In the old days we would have to buy more minutes. Now I can get the Olus package and the only thing I have to worry about is hitting the 15 drink limit

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I had to chuckle when I read your comment because I am your age and my DH is entering the next decade of life.  Anyway, just apply the apply the opposite of what you wrote and that would be us!  To each his own, I guess!   Certainly not a criticism of how you feel .. and we may be the outlier to our generation’s analysis, but in general, that’s not really what we see.  

Same here.  Everyone is different, but that’s what makes the work go around!

We don’t see it that way either!

👀

• Like 3

On 2/15/2023 at 10:21 PM, CRLess said:

For the way we cruise (which is different than many of the Elites obviously), please explain how my personal elite benefits (loyalty)  have not been eroded by the addition of the Plus/Premier.  I ask again, what am I getting, as a loyal Princess cruiser, that any first time cruiser with Princess Premier gets, that I don't as an Elite?

1. Princess platinum insurance upgrade

2. priority boarding

3. 10% off Spa, photos, shops

4. Platinum/Elite lounge

5. Early access to new itineraries

6. Priority ship to shore water shuttle 

7. complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting event

8. Mini-bar setup that you can exchange 

9. canape selection on Formal nights (not the greatest but, hey.)

10. complimentary afternoon tea in stateroom

11. priority disembarkation.

12. complimentary laundry services and shoe polishing

Granted, not everyone chooses to use all these benefits, but the only benefits that are eroding are #8 above and the Internet minutes which are no longer offered gratis. 

You object to the lessening in value of the minibar, I object to the fact that I now have to pay for occasional use of the internet to check to see if my family is healthy at home and the house hasn't burned down.  Many of the other Elite benefits are still of value and part of why I still choose to sail Princess Cruises.

One other thing - for my next cruise, about a third of the passengers on the roll call poll are sailing with the standard fare, opting to pay for the drink packages they actually use.  We all choose how we want to spend our holiday cash to our benefit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Times Prince said:

2. priority boarding only of value if you arrive before boarding starts

3. 10% off Spa, photos, shops Shop discount is now only if item is full priced

4. Platinum/Elite lounge - value (long ago) was deeply discounted drinks. Value now is some evenings it may have a snack not available at the buffet

5. Early access to new itineraries 1 day (if you get the notification in time)

7. complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting event -- not as much fun since they eliminated the two free glasses

11. priority disembarkation. -- not really a benefit as anyone can sign up for an early time

13. 10% off Princess shore excursions (can often save much more if you book an independent equivalent excursion)

Granted, not everyone chooses to use all these benefits, but the only benefits that are eroding are #8 above and the Internet minutes which are no longer offered gratis. 

see my comments in red above

2 hours ago, Times Prince said:

One other thing - for my next cruise, about a third of the passengers on the roll call poll are sailing with the standard fare, opting to pay for the drink packages they actually use.  We all choose how we want to spend our holiday cash to our benefit.

Probably most of them purchased the packages before prices were recently raised to $60/day and $80/day.

I wonder if those 2/3rds would still be willing to purchase the packages at the new pricing.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:40 PM, GrammyJill said:

I do the same thing.  Before we would switch out most of the liquor for soda and a beer or two.  Now DH just like the diet coke, as I do.  So diet coke it is.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Times Prince said:

2. priority boarding

3. 10% off Spa, photos, shops

4. Platinum/Elite lounge

5. Early access to new itineraries

7. complimentary Grapevine Wine Tasting event

11. priority disembarkation.

You object to the lessening in value of the minibar, I object to the fact that I now have to pay for occasional use of the internet to check to see if my family is healthy at home and the house hasn't burned down.  Many of the other Elite benefits are still of value and part of why I still choose to sail Princess Cruises.

Why would you opt for a drink package which costs as much or more than Plus fare which also takes care of WiFi and all of your gratuities 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, caribill said:

Probably most of them purchased the packages before prices were recently raised to $60/day and $80/day.

I wonder if those 2/3rds would still be willing to purchase the packages at the new pricing.

I was one of those that pre-purchased a package (Plus) at the old price ($50) when they announced the increase.  Since then, I have booked another cruise without any packages.  I am not a drinker.  I am an elite that can purchase the internet separately from the package at 50%.  I often times do cruise in a suite, but don't mind paying that on the side. I will get my specialty coffee fix in the morning.  I have CCL stock OBC to help defer the drinks I occasionally have.

Hmmmm.  Instead of buying a beverage package, apply the cost to upgrade your stateroom.  (hush, you did not hear that from me).  I am not interested in the new desserts nor the gym classes.  I am even less interested in the photo package and stupid door opening raffle.  

It was a nice run with Princess.  Not sure what I will do after 2023 (multiple cruises booked).  We had a wonderful relationship.  Sad to see a breakup.  Not saying ... only a thought.