Questioning Elite Benefits

CRLess

Just got back a week or so ago from a wonderful cruise on the Enchanted.  My wife and I were discussing how we would each fill out our surveys, and we both came to the same conclusion....if you purchase the Princess Plus, what benefit do you receive by being a loyal customer that achieved Elite status?  With Princess Plus, internet is included, drinks are included, so the mini bar set up is meaningless.  The Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge doesn't really provide any true benefit...you can get appetizers at the buffet.  Princess has eliminated the "spa" related toiletries in your stateroom (not that we ever cared about that), the bonus loyalty OBC was eliminated with the pandemic, so the only true benefits Elite members get right now is the 10% off in the shop, and priority boarding/tenders.  Did I miss anything?

I guess what I am questioning is that a first time cruiser can essentially have almost the same cruise benefits by purchasing the Princess Plus package that loyal Princess passengers have.  Has Princess abandoned those of us that are loyal to the brand?  With the advent of the Princess Plus and Premium, there needs to be some sort of trade-off to the cost of the "all in" packages for loyal passengers.  I think Princess needs to take a hard look at their loyalty programs and evaluate what true benefits their most loyal passengers should have as a benefit.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Hmmm...we did get some upgraded toiletries on Enchanted in December. Also, currently on Majestic Princess and sent out a 2nd batch of laundry which is gratis. I'll take that as I also do my own laundry that I don't want in commercial laundry and I only do a load a week where I might have to do two! I don't buy their "package" as DH is not a drinker and not worth it to us. I'll take the mini bar, thank you!

• Like 5

Some of the "perks" you mentioned are Elite Status related.  But the bonus loyalty OBC is part of the Captain Circle perk (now gone).  And there are a few you left out.

Not all elites purchase the beverage plan, so the mini-bar is still considered a good perk.

I do agree with you, there is not a big difference in elite status.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CRLess said:

Just got back a week or so ago from a wonderful cruise on the Enchanted.  My wife and I were discussing how we would each fill out our surveys, and we both came to the same conclusion....if you purchase the Princess Plus, what benefit do you receive by being a loyal customer that achieved Elite status?  With Princess Plus, internet is included, drinks are included, so the mini bar set up is meaningless.  The Platinum/Elite/Suite lounge doesn't really provide any true benefit...you can get appetizers at the buffet.  Princess has eliminated the "spa" related toiletries in your stateroom (not that we ever cared about that), the bonus loyalty OBC was eliminated with the pandemic, so the only true benefits Elite members get right now is the 10% off in the shop, and priority boarding/tenders.  Did I miss anything?

I guess what I am questioning is that a first time cruiser can essentially have almost the same cruise benefits by purchasing the Princess Plus package that loyal Princess passengers have.  Has Princess abandoned those of us that are loyal to the brand?  With the advent of the Princess Plus and Premium, there needs to be some sort of trade-off to the cost of the "all in" packages for loyal passengers.  I think Princess needs to take a hard look at their loyalty programs and evaluate what true benefits their most loyal passengers should have as a benefit.

15 nights on Emerald last month, sent out laundry each day. Actually over $300 worth, not having to enter any laundry room was a priceless benefit. Additionally, ten percent off already discounted prices was beneficial to us. We also received Elite toiletries in our cabin. The appetizers in Skywalkers were top notch, and nothing like downstairs, as was the service. 

Although we are Elite on Princess, we had nowhere close to 15 cruises, below 10 when we "achieved" Elite status. We are just happy to be back cruising and don't feel as though we are 'owed' anything. 

• Like 8

Even though we get Princess Plus, I still enjoy the mini bar set-up. It's nice to have cans of pop and a few beers in the fridge. We send out for free laundry every other day, if not every day. Finally, it's nice to get the 10% discount on shore excursions.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

15 nights on Emerald last month, sent out laundry each day. Actually over $300 worth, not having to enter any laundry room was a priceless benefit. Additionally, ten percent off already discounted prices was beneficial to us. We also received Elite toiletries in our cabin. The appetizers in Skywalkers were top notch, and nothing like downstairs, as was the service. 

Although we are Elite on Princess, we had nowhere close to 15 cruises, below 10 when we "achieved" Elite status. We are just happy to be back cruising and don't feel as though we are 'owed' anything. 

We have sent laundry using the Elite benefit in the past and have been disappointed in the condition that our items have been returned.  On our Enchanted voyage, we did our own laundry twice in the laundry on our floor.  So we are in the "do your own laundry" crowd, so the Elite benefit of free laundry is another benefit not used.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CRLess said:

We have sent laundry using the Elite benefit in the past and have been disappointed in the condition that our items have been returned.  On our Enchanted voyage, we did our own laundry twice in the laundry on our floor.  So we are in the "do your own laundry" crowd, so the Elite benefit of free laundry is another benefit not used.

That's your choice. We've never had a problem or issue with any item. Guess we are just lucky

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SKCruiser007 said:

Even though we get Princess Plus, I still enjoy the mini bar set-up. It's nice to have cans of pop and a few beers in the fridge. We send out for free laundry every other day, if not every day. Finally, it's nice to get the 10% discount on shore excursions.

Darn!  You mean the first round of soda and beer is part of the mini bar free set-up?  I guess I should have asked on board!  Have had 2 cruises as elite and both I ran to the buffet to get Diet Coke  before turning in so I make a rum and coke or vodka and Sprite to drink on the balcony.  Doh!  🙂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ToplessPony said:

Darn!  You mean the first round of soda and beer is part of the mini bar free set-up?  I guess I should have asked on board!  Have had 2 cruises as elite and both I ran to the buffet to get Diet Coke  before turning in so I make a rum and coke or vodka and Sprite to drink on the balcony.  Doh!  🙂

Not only are those cans of pop free, you can ask your room steward to change them all to Diet Coke, regular Coke, or Sprite. You are just limited to how many total cans of soda you have to start.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ToplessPony said:

So where was your mini bar ?

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

Additionally, ten percent off already discounted prices was beneficial to us.

The 10% off is now only if the full price is charged. Even a sale with only one cent off means no 10% elite discount.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CRLess said:

Yep, you're right. The benefits are pretty meaningless. They should just get rid of the tiers altogether. 

6 hours ago, CRLess said:

Did I miss anything?

Not at all.

Just like yourself we questioned the value of any of the Elite perks and also decided that the Plus package is no longer worth it for us. We'll be returning to paying for the items we want & use the setup for coffee's. 

The laundry is questionable and we only use it for our older articles sine sooner or later they will damage/shrink something.

Their internet is so slow that unless your using it in the middle of the night, it's worthless & I certainly can live without all the spam I receive everyday.😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SKCruiser007 said:

Not only are those cans of pop free, you can ask your room steward to change them all to Diet Coke, regular Coke, or Sprite. You are just limited to how many total cans of soda you have to start.

Great to know!  Thanks!

7 hours ago, CRLess said:

We don’t do the beverage packages, so we do use the mini bar, 10% disc on excursions, priority tenders, 50% off MedallionNet, Elite teatime in the cabin, priority boarding, Elite/Suite line at GS, and the laundry service.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, CRLess said:

We stay almost only in full suites, and the elite perks have become less appealing.  We dine anywhere if we wanted to experience different areas but mostly in the designated dining room.  We are not picky eaters and didn't buy extra package.  We buy internet and the speed is not bad maybe because we don't use internet for streaming.

We trust the laundry services 1000% with our nice clothes, and DH's suits and have never had anything ruined.

As long as the basic is met, food, laundry taken cared of, we are happy. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure I understand the logic of the OPs argument here.  They seem to be saying that first time cruisers can get (nearly) the same benefits as Elite passengers by buying Princess plus.  If that is the case (and I don't think it is as others have mentioned - laundry, mini bar, 10% discount etc),  Elite passengers don't have to buy Princess Plus.  Then their benefit for being 'loyal' cruisers is the cost of Princess Plus for the duration of their cruise.

• Like 2

Or you could look at it from the opposite direction. For the non or occasional alcohol  drinker the the elite mini bar and 50% off WIFI make the packages less of a deal. You can save big by going with the standard rate. Depends on your cruise lifestyle. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Or you could look at it from the opposite direction. For the non or occasional alcohol  drinker the the elite mini bar and 50% off WIFI make the packages less of a deal. You can save big by going with the standard rate. Depends on your cruise lifestyle. 

Yes, and we sometimes exchange the mini bar for coffee packages. So, I appreciate the benefit.

• Like 1

It's all about the laundry for me.   Especially if we are on a lengthy cruise or my luggage is limited because we are flying and don't wan't to pay $140 each way for additional bags.    The rest of the perks don't mean much to me except for priority tendering which is huge when at a port that requires tendering and there is only a few hours in that specific port.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, caribill said:

The 10% off is now only if the full price is charged. Even a sale with only one cent off means no 10% elite discount.

We were given the additional 10 percent off clearance prices at both Calypso Cove (multiple purchases, so this wasn't a one time thing) and the jewelry store next to the entrance of DaVinci.  Also, additional 10 percent off duty free alcohol. 

1 hour ago, startedwithamouse said:

We were given the additional 10 percent off clearance prices at both Calypso Cove (multiple purchases, so this wasn't a one time thing) and the jewelry store next to the entrance of DaVinci.  Also, additional 10 percent off duty free alcohol. 

I also got the 10% off sale items at Calypso Cove

• Like 3