Housekeeping moving to once a day?

Donsyb

4 hours ago, mianmike said:

Your figures appear to be in the ballpark.  Unless cabin stewards have received a huge pay cut in the last 10 years you are probably close.  

From a 2012 lawsuit filed against RCCL the wage of a stateroom attendant was described:

"Pursuant to their employment contracts, the vast majority of Doe’s wages were from tips received from passengers.[4] For a seven (7) day cruise, Doe was, on average, entitled to receive approximately $1,100. Furthermore, under the contract, Doe was entitled to receive $50.00 per month paid directly as wages by RCCL." 

https://www.lipcon.com/work-in-progress/plaintiffs-v-norwegian-seafarers-union/

So $1100 per 7 day cruise = approx $4400 per month plus the $50 wage.

that’s a lot more than Restjet is saying and those are numbers from 10 years ago. I doubt the numbers have got lower.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

that’s a lot more than Restjet is saying and those are numbers from 10 years ago. I doubt the numbers have got lower.

Yes.  I believe it and that is a good source.

Edited by resetjet

5 hours ago, mianmike said:

Your figures appear to be in the ballpark.  Unless cabin stewards have received a huge pay cut in the last 10 years you are probably close.  

From a 2012 lawsuit filed against RCCL the wage of a stateroom attendant was described:

"Pursuant to their employment contracts, the vast majority of Doe’s wages were from tips received from passengers.[4] For a seven (7) day cruise, Doe was, on average, entitled to receive approximately $1,100. Furthermore, under the contract, Doe was entitled to receive $50.00 per month paid directly as wages by RCCL." 

Thanks for bringing some

information to this conversation.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Donsyb said:

That's more then I take home after taxes per month. Why does everyone here think cruise ship works are so poor? I genuinely don't get it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ryder101 said:

That's more then I take home after taxes per month. Why does everyone here think cruise ship works are so poor? I genuinely don't get it.

Because that's been the narrative for a long time.  Frankly, I was surprised myself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/18/2023 at 3:23 PM, HicksRA said:

I have to wonder if Royal is in such dire straits that it has to raise gratuities, cheapen meals, reduce staff and services and raise fare prices, why does it keep spending multi millions spitting out new mega ships?  
Sounds like an irresponsible teen with a new credit card to me. 

All new ships were ordered before Covid-19  They have not placed any new orders since then.

8 minutes ago, hancock said:

I haven't followed this thread.  I'm wondering if the stewards will now have more cabins to clean since they will be cleaning only once a day?  Will the number of cabin stewards be reduced?  Any thoughts?

About double being reported. Yes, the purpose is to reduce number of cabin stewards.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 1:59 AM, mianmike said:

Whats interesting is this lawsuit was just before the switch to auto grats.  Back then they were clearly on a $50 plus tips system which was the guarantee way of paying from days of old, where they did not share tips and actually had to hire other employees to do their job.  They apparently switched to the salary plus shared tips when they went to auto grats.   The stewards probably did a little better with the old system.  

• Like 1

I haven't read every post/response, has anyone has had any experience what the procedure is when there are 3-4 in cabin.  Does the cabin attendant open and closes the sofa bed each day/night.  I can't believe that it would stay open all day as there would be very little room to maneuver in the cabin.  Interested as my son's family is a trio and sailing in August and what is the expectation.

14 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

About double being reported. Yes, the purpose is to reduce number of cabin stewards.

Or is it because they couldn't hire enough stewards so this is there answer on how to cope?  Chicken/egg thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Or is it because they couldn't hire enough stewards so this is there answer on how to cope?  Chicken/egg thing.

There are news reports circulating today regarding RCLs change in housekeeping policies in which reference is made to RCL criticizing the U.S. Government for not processing crew visa applications more quickly - including stewards - thereby creating a shortage of crew for some categories.  The article referenced Carnival cutting back, as well.  Whether this is the reason or profit motivation is actually the impetus ... it's unlikely any of us in this discussion will know with certainty.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longford said:

There are news reports circulating today regarding RCLs change in housekeeping policies in which reference is made to RCL criticizing the U.S. Government for not processing crew visa applications more quickly - including stewards - thereby creating a shortage of crew for some categories.  The article referenced Carnival cutting back, as well.  Whether this is the reason or profit motivation is actually the impetus ... it's unlikely any of us in this discussion will know with certainty.

Or they could say the great reset has left us without crew.  But the path they chose sounds way better to negate the negative press surrounding this change.

but i agree,  like so much else with cruise ships,  we will never know.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2023 at 2:25 PM, resetjet said:

Well I hope they do as well.  But that is not the argument.  The topic is, how much of the cabin stewards tips do they get to keep.  Its pretty easy to figure out, if you just do a little math and a little googling, but nobody is willing to do that, just tell me how my answers are wrong.  But such is life on a message board, its not often about working toward a common solution, its often about defending ones initial point of view to the bitter end.

Which is what you are doing.  The crew has a vested interest in your viewpoint.  I they can convince you they get nothing you will tip them even more.  

What a crew member gets as a base salary is one thing, what they get in gratuities is quite another.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longford said:

Crew members join the ship in ports all over the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Which is what you are doing.  The crew has a vested interest in your viewpoint.  I they can convince you they get nothing you will tip them even more.  

What a crew member gets as a base salary is one thing, what they get in gratuities is quite another.

My only real purpose in all of this was to prove who gets your tips.  It clearly doesnt all go to the steward.  

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 8:45 AM, Ryder101 said:

You have to remember, they work a LOT more hours per week for that money.

20 hours ago, hancock said:

I haven't followed this thread.  I'm wondering if the stewards will now have more cabins to clean since they will be cleaning only once a day?  Will the number of cabin stewards be reduced?  Any thoughts?

Yes they will have more and they are already reduced. As it is the same around the world, finding employees that want to do the amazing hard jobs are few  and far between!

• Like 1