NC Pricing Compared to Other Lux Lines

KenzSailing

So this topic was suggested, and I think it useful to compare NC pricing to the current pricing of other lux lines(at least more useful than Crystal prices today vs how things used to be.) I have one hard data point to contribute:

Crystal Serenity

LA-NYC, 8/27/24

18 nights

Aquamarine Suite

Total: $22,230(with prior passenger discount of $970)

$617.50 pp/pn

RSSC Grandeur

MIA-LA, 12/21/23

16 nights

Superior F1 Suite

Total: $24,198(1st time cruisers, no prior pax discount)

$756 pp/pn

Delta: Regent is $138.50 pp/pn more expensive 

Notes:

For the size matters crowd,  those cabins are mighty similar(IIRC the Regent cabin is 9 sq ft larger.) 

Both Panama Canal cruises, of similar length.

Regent bundles airfare and one night hotel with this grade cabin, but we declined those for credits built into the above pricing.

Divergence:

The big one of course is that Regent bundles in shorex and there's no way to extract that.(And please, let's not turn this into a referendum on whether that is good or ill.  That one has been done to death.)

No butler with this grade cabin on Regent.

The other thing is the Regent cruise spans both Christmas and New Years.  OC, as I recall, used to have a pretty significant uplift for those cruises.

Make of this what you will, but it is a data point.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Benny B. Goode said:

To the best of my knowledge, F1 does not include the one night hotel. .

Ah, you're right, I was thinking of Concierge grade for which we are WLed.

For completeness sake, the Regent quote includes a bonus credit of $500pp, an air credit of $500pp, and an FCC of $100pp that my great and good TA turned into a credit on this booking.

And OLoPP is, as always, patient. 

I have a trip booked for this Fall on SS Silver Nova, NYC to Barbados in a superior veranda door to door pricing without air. Price of $560 pp per night. A similar trip on Crystal Serenity this fall, Quebec to Miami in a similar size cabin, Aquamarine Veranda is $741 pp per night. Crystal is $181 pp per night more than SS in this case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, hypercafe said:

A similar trip on Crystal Serenity this fall, Quebec to Miami in a similar size cabin, Aquamarine Veranda is $741 pp per night. Crystal is $181 pp per night more than SS in this case.

IMHO, the price difference is miniscule in this price segment. New Crystal may think that they can price higher because there are so many C loyalists and only two ships are sailing. 

Can they hold this price level? Only time will tell. How many times have we already been to Juneau and Barcelona? The itinerary also matters.

• Like 4

I think the itinerary constraints for '23/'24 will ultimately constrain pricing power a little bit.  To what degree that happens depends on a lot of other factors that won't come into play until later this year, but I think the "itinerary matters" point is a good one and something Crystal takes into serious consideration in pricing (whether it looks like it or not from inaugural fares).

One of Jack Anderson's priorities when he first came to Crystal in sales eons ago was dynamic pricing.  I seriously doubt that's going to be any different with other people in sales and him at the helm.  I fully expect prices to adjust to market conditions and demand by sailing and category, for better or worse.  We can count on adjustments where appropriate, IMHO.

Vince

• Like 3

Comparison between New Crystal and Explora Journeys.

New Crystal Reikiavik to Quebec, 11 nights Aqua Marine Veranda Suite, September 2023, for two people US 15800. Per Diem for two 1436.

Explora Journey Reikiavik to New York, 16 nights Ocean Terrace Suite, September 2023, for two people US 20300. Per Diem for two US 1268.

Ivi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

Comparison between New Crystal and Explora Journeys.

New Crystal Reikiavik to Quebec, 11 nights Aqua Marine Veranda Suite, September 2023, for two people US 15800. Per Diem for two 1436.

Explora Journey Reikiavik to New York, 16 nights Ocean Terrace Suite, September 2023, for two people US 20300. Per Diem for two US 1268.

Ivi

Explora please.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

Explora please.

Explora is even more of an unknown than the new Crystal. It might be better, it might not. If you aren’t willing to book Crystal until there are reviews, why would you be willing to book Explora before there are reviews?

Patty

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Explora is even more of an unknown than the new Crystal. It might be better, it might not. If you aren’t willing to book Crystal until there are reviews, why would you be willing to book Explora before there are reviews?

Patty

You're right but just look at the Explora.

What a good looking ship.

• Like 6

Thanks for providing this price comparison. We're on the next Grandeur sailing after the one you quoted (for a bit less than the price you mentioned but also not as large of a stateroom.)  

I know it's not New Crystal's fault but I'm still feeling pretty burned by the whole experience and thousands of dollars lost... looking forward to transiting the canal on a brand new Regent ship.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

You're right but just look at the Explora.

What a good looking ship.

It does look beautiful but as Patty correctly pointed out we know from less about Explora Journey than the new Crystal and I say this having done a lot of research on the new line.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

It does look beautiful but as Patty correctly pointed out we know from less about Explora Journey than the new Crystal and I say this having done a lot of research on the new line.

Those of us who have sailed with MSC have more or less an idea about the cruising experience. I am assuming that it would be at least comparable to the Yacht Club experience. MSC owners have shown that they can offer a luxury experience with an Italian touch (which we love) in the Yacht Club.  MSC owners have also good financial means to support this undertaking and are willing to invest on Explora and make it successful. I have no fears that they could go bankrupt in the next 5 years . 
I am willing to try Explora the same way I am willing to try the new Crystal. We do not know how both will perform. We just have expectations. 
After Explora and New Crystal starts sailing we will see reviews. I am confident that some of those reviews will be honest. We will know more.

I will try to write a review once I cruise with Explora. 
Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Thanks Ivi. I look forward to your reviews on the Explora Board.

I was booked on one of the Explora Journey sailings which is why I had mentioned I did a lot of research.  We have canceled our sailing with the return of Crystal.

Keith

Our next cruise at the beginning of April is on the MSC Yacht Club. We will see if it continues to be as good a we remember. 
We have considered the Journey from Hamburg to New York for September with Explora. Once Crystal announced that it was sailing again, the itinerary from Reikiavik to Quebec became interesting. This is why I have compared prices. We like more the itinerary of Explora plus the prospect of the new beautiful ship. We have not decided yet. 
However I am booked with Explora for February next year. Looking forward to cruising with them. 
Ivi

• Like 2

I have cruises booked on both Crystal and Explora.  I booked both based on some of the hires made by the companies.  For example, one of Azamara's top hotel directors made the move to Explora.  I also booked trips leaving several months after the initial launches to allow initial startup glitches to be addressed.  It also gives me the flexibility to cancel if I hear of problems.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Post it said:

I have cruises booked on both Crystal and Explora.  I booked both based on some of the hires made by the companies.  For example, one of Azamara's top hotel directors made the move to Explora.  I also booked trips leaving several months after the initial launches to allow initial startup glitches to be addressed.  It also gives me the flexibility to cancel if I hear of problems.

FYI, you can do a status match on MSC to a large number of hotel and cruise companies (including old Crystal) but no airlines. Once you have your MSC number, have your TA apply it to your Explora booking. Various upgrades and shipboard credits etc may be yours. 

17 minutes ago, TER777 said:

FYI, you can do a status match on MSC to a large number of hotel and cruise companies (including old Crystal) but no airlines. Once you have your MSC number, have your TA apply it to your Explora booking. Various upgrades and shipboard credits etc may be yours. 

Can you get these benefits if you've never sailed on MSC?

7 minutes ago, Post it said:

Can you get these benefits if you've never sailed on MSC?

Yes, that’s the whole point of it.

Originally, it seemed to say the offer of the matching expires on Feb. 28th. Perhaps they’ve extended the offer.

I started the process but it was too challenging for me! Patty, did you do it?

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

Yes. I have got a two category upgrade and US 500 OBC on my booking as part of that temporary offer.

Ivi

1 hour ago, Post it said:

Heike Berdos who used to be Hotel Director at Azamara is now working for Explora since some months. She is wonderful. I am confident she will have a fantastic influence on the quality of services. 
Ivi

1 hour ago, May B said:

Originally, it seemed to say the offer of the matching expires on Feb. 28th. Perhaps they’ve extended the offer.

Muriel,

Am I the Patty above?? I have no bookings on Explora. Won’t say never, but probably not if new Crystal is up to snuff. 

Patty

The huge difference for me in choosing Explora over Crystal is the 15% single supplement.  I sometimes sail as a single and my choice of the IMO awful window cabins forward on Crystal or paying almost double if I want better is ridiculous.  Explora has larger suites and I like their itineraries.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cruisr said:

The huge difference for me in choosing Explora over Crystal is the 15% single supplement.  I sometimes sail as a single and my choice of the IMO awful window cabins forward on Crystal or paying almost double if I want better is ridiculous.  Explora has larger suites and I like their itineraries.

Explora single supplement starts at 15% and goes up to I think it is 85%. 

2 hours ago, May B said:

I don’t see anything on their website suggesting there is an expiration date. Some may find this article helpful. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/status-match-msc-cruises/

Edited by TER777
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TER777 said:

I don’t see anything on their website suggesting there is an expiration date. Some may find this article helpful. https://thepointsguy.com/guide/status-match-msc-cruises/

There was an expiration date for the double upgrade plus the OBC at Explora if you are MSC diamond. I believe it was either February 23rd or 28th. There is no expiration date for matching status between others and MSC.

Ivi