Interesting Yacht Club Question

KennyFla

13 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

A post I read yesterday made me think of an interesting question.  If you don't drink alcohol, would you consider the Yacht Club still worth the money?  The everything you want to drink perk is a big reason we like it.

We book it (even though I don’t drink) because we want to avoid the crowds. And getting onboard without waiting like everyone else is priceless. 

• Like 3

The Divina YC holds138 double occupancy.  I was on it in January.  Seeing the same people for a week you get to observe their patterns.  Quite a few were never without a drink from bar open to bar close.  They also ate every meal offered; sometimes with double portions. 

Others, myself included, had wine with dinner, a cocktail or two during the day, and ate like we do at home which isn't 5+ times a day.  

I guess it's attitudinal.  There's the "it's included and I paid for it so I want all I can get" crowd and others who just enjoy knowing it's there if they want it.  I guarantee you the former wouldn't be consuming what they did if it were a land-based resort and they were paying a'la carte. 

For me, the exclusivity, serenity, and service in the YC is the draw not the ability to binge drink because it's included in my cruise fare.  To each their own as they say.  

• Like 3

I love the big MSC ships with all their hustle and bustle and entertainment and the bars etc. But to spend my whole vacation, hm then I would be ready for vacation after this cruise. For me, the yacht club is important as a luxurious, relaxing enclave. The fact that there are also such delicious drinks is nice, but not decisive

• Like 4

Thing is in the UK the Premium extra package is nearly always on offer  so you can have(close)  equivalent(drinks) in any grade of cabin I have just been priing upsome on our watch list were the YC inside are available.

14n inside £1,300pp,  drinks add £220pp  YCI £2,600  

if you are going to spring double for he YC the at £16pppd for the package its neither here or  there as just soft drinks coffee water etc will soak up most of it anyway. 

there was another 14n that had been prices differently

inside £700  drinks £400  YCI £2500 

now that YC is 3.5 times the cost of a basic cruise.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KennyFla said:

A post I read yesterday made me think of an interesting question.  If you don't drink alcohol, would you consider the Yacht Club still worth the money?  The everything you want to drink perk is a big reason we like it.

I don't think that I should cruise if I didn't drink but if I did, I should still book the Yacht Club. 

• Like 1

We've rarely seen anyone in YC "over-served." I believe that YC guests, while they may always have a drink in hand, are a more refined (not sure if that is the correct word to reflect my feelings, but I'm using it!) crowd and more to our liking. We initially tried MSC YC because we were not pleased with NCL's Haven. Due to Haven having the same restaurant menu every day and no Haven dinner in the smaller ships, we had always eaten in the specialty restaurants. We tired of seeing flip flops and cargo shorts at dinner in those specialty restaurants, especially the nights when we were in suits and dresses. YC gives us the atmosphere that we prefer.

• Like 7

I did a little price comparison.  On a 7nt cruise in 2024 a YIN for 2 people is a total of $2658 before taxes/fees.  Total for Aurea balcony is $1978.  For that difference in price, even without drinks the other perks of the YC make it certainly worthwhile.

• Like 3

DH and I are booked for an April Meraviglia YC...interior.  We don't drink (as an example, we ate in a restaurant that offers a complimantery glass of wine with a meal...he drank his, I had about 1/3 of mine)...so maybe we'll have one glass each per day.

But, the other amenitites are important....no standing on lines, no long waits for meals, spa, separate pool and lounge.....those are why we chose YC!

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

I did a little price comparison.  On a 7nt cruise in 2024 a YIN for 2 people is a total of $2658 before taxes/fees.  Total for Aurea balcony is $1978.  For that difference in price, even without drinks the other perks of the YC make it certainly worthwhile.

And I did my price comparison.  For our 8 night MSC cruise vs NCL same week...guarantee balcony (no drinks or meals)...YC came in a few dollars less.

Not to mention...we like the MSC itinerary....don't like NCL's.

• Like 1

In the two cruises we've done in the YC, I don't think we've ever seen anyone appear to be over served.  

We enjoy some cocktails throughout the day when we're cruising, and we would never drink like that at home, but it isn't a "we paid for it, drink up!" situation either.

Pretty much everything has been said, thanks! It's good to notice that YC differentiation point is far from just having alcohol covered! Actually pretty much everyone has it by default. It is rare to see the basic fares advertised everywhere else, even though they already have them. YC is a distinctive product for such a distinctive crowd. And it is becoming far from affordable, to say the very least!...

7 hours ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We've rarely seen anyone in YC "over-served." I believe that YC guests, while they may always have a drink in hand, are a more refined (not sure if that is the correct word to reflect my feelings, but I'm using it!) crowd and more to our liking. We initially tried MSC YC because we were not pleased with NCL's Haven. Due to Haven having the same restaurant menu every day and no Haven dinner in the smaller ships, we had always eaten in the specialty restaurants. We tired of seeing flip flops and cargo shorts at dinner in those specialty restaurants, especially the nights when we were in suits and dresses. YC gives us the atmosphere that we prefer.

I have seen someone in the Yacht Club that had too much to drink, arguing with another person that also had too much to drink about some American sports team.  I also saw some other people that were wearing very very casual clothes.  Money doesn't buy class.

On 2/23/2023 at 11:51 AM, KennyFla said:

....If you don't drink alcohol, would you consider the Yacht Club still worth the money?  The everything you want to drink perk is a big reason we like it.

Possibly not, if we didn't drink any alcohol. A typical day at sea would have us imbibing one glass of wine with lunch, a couple of cocktails during the afternoon and one glass of wine with dinner. Sometimes one drink following the show, often not. On port days, remove the two afternoon cocktails.

So, that is the extent of our intake and we consider the YC worth the money. That said, with pricing going skyward, we look first for a YIN which gives everything YC offers yet keeps the price affordable for us.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:26 AM, Best Cat Mom said:

ahoi polloi.....

I guess you never saw me in shorts.... oh well.

• Haha 2

My son had an unruly passenger onboard with him last July.  The man was seen at the White tent lugging a large, empty Coleman cooler.  He asked for ice and a case of beer to be brought to his room every morning.  On day two, he and his girlfriend got into a huge fight, and he had to be restrained by security.  He was under house arrest and could not leave his stateroom until disembarkation.  The drunk's girlfriend had a potty mouth and attempted to elicit sympathy daily from other YC passengers in the Topsail lounge.  My son, his wife, and most of the passengers kept a wide berth away from her.  As you can imagine, this was the talk of the cruise.   

7-days out of Miami last July, I can't remember which one of the Seas he was on. He was not particularly upset at the ruckus the passengers caused.  He and his wife are in their forties and travel quite a bit. He actually said it brought the other passengers together as they exchanged the latest gossip provided by the potty-mouthed girlfriend regarding her lout of a boyfriend.  MSC handled it well by immediately isolating him away from the other YC passengers.       

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nashna said:

He was not particularly upset at the ruckus the passengers caused... He actually said it brought the other passengers together as they exchanged the latest gossip provided by the potty-mouthed girlfriend regarding her lout of a boyfriend.  MSC handled it well by immediately isolating him away from the other YC passengers.

That's a great outcome. 🙂

21 hours ago, shellyd1 said:

I have seen someone in the Yacht Club that had too much to drink, arguing with another person that also had too much to drink about some American sports team.  I also saw some other people that were wearing very very casual clothes.  Money doesn't buy class.

At the ripe age of 60, if wearing casual clothes on a caribbean cruise is considered having no class, then so be it. I will proudly claim that I have no class. I understand the inappropriateness of the drunks in public but you can't compare it to casual clothing.

Edited by nednrom
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2