Live(ish) from Reflection 2/26 - 3/5/2023

DCPIV

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

DCPIV was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Howdy!

I've begun packing in earnest.  That means it's real!  Our first cruise of 2023!

This was something of an impulse cruise to the extent there is one.  Sometime during the wackiness of the restart, we were thinking about taking a chance on what looked like a good deal for a SIgnature Suite on Reflection.  New ship for us.  New sort of room.  So few had sailed in a Signature that we had a hard time getting some opinions (and thank you all y'all who did give us your thoughts!)  We went ahead and pulled the trigger.

In the end, we were so happy we did.  We had a fantastic cruise and absolutely loved the room.  We fell in love with Reflection, as well. Here's a snapshot from that wonderful week:

20230223_130820.jpg.fc1e1eb8d4a60a8addeecdaa9b173b03.jpg

(terrible photo, but whatcha gonna do?)

We had such a great time that we had to go for it again.  Same ship.  Same room even!  Different itinerary but familiar ports!  It's a true vacation--just getting away for a week or so.

We'll spend the rest of our time between now and our Satuday flight to FLL getting ready and earning the vacation.  I look forward to reporting on the ship, but I'm not concerned.  All reports around here are good!  Give me your questions, as well, and I'll see what I can do.  I'm not the greatest or most prolific photographer in the world, but I put up what I can (wifi permitting).

Cheers!

• Like 9

Just so y'all know, I fully intend to give everyone whatever update I can about tenders and bars on Grand Cayman day (Day 5).  At the moment, we have nothing scheduled that day but a massage.  Maybe we'll get off, and maybe we won't, but I'll pass along whatever information I pick up over the day.

As for other plans, here's what we got:

Day 0 - Tomorrow - Flying to FLL and enjoying a what promises to be a fantastic afternoon, evening, and night.

Day 2 - Nassau - headed to Bahama Barrels at Greycliff Hotel for the wine blending class (independent tour).  We did this back in 2018 (pretty much when they started doing it), and we had a ball.  However, we also were the only ones there for the whole day!  This time, it's sold out.  It'll be fun to see the difference!

Day 4 - Ocho Rios - Green Grotto caves in the morning (via ship).  We aren't really "beach day" folks, and this is a good reason to get off the ship.  Typically, we try to get in some kayaking or something like that, but this sounded like a nice change of pace.  There's also the fact that many of the tours would cost us at least $250 for the two of us (and that's even through Viator).

Day 6 - Cozumel -  "Mexologist for the Day" at Blu (via the ship).  We did this a little over a year ago while on Liberty of the Seas and had a blast.  Blu is lovely with an incredible view of the Cozumel Channel (we've also done a dolphin encounter there).  Our "guide" was fun and hilarious.  

Day 8 - Fort Lauderdale - After getting off the ship, we hope to have lunch with some friends and then enjoy one more night in South Florida before heading home.

We'll eat, drink, and be merry (or asleep) the rest of the time!  For now, though, it's back to packing and wrapping up what work I can.

Cheers!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Cdncruisecpl said:

Take good care of her.  We board when you disembark!  We will be watching this with great interest.

I'll make you no promises, but I'll tell you no lies! 😉

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, danceswithphones said:

I'm interested in the Grand Cayman tendering issue. Looks like you will be in port with MSC Seascape and RCI Brilliance OTS. Seascape can carry as many passengers as the two others combined. 

Thanks for the heads-up.  Considering that, I expect I will be reporting what I can glean from on board.  

Please advise your experiences in Luminae. I am  concerned about crowding as there are so many more suites on RF than EQ. We never have waited for a table nor not gotten our favorite table by a window on EQ in 4 cruises on her. Service has been great each time.  Also please advise how you find Michael's Club now that it is the Retreat lounge. Is there a bar or just servers there? Any entertainment there in the evening? Special presentations during the day? We have RF booked in a suite next Jan. 

21 minutes ago, 39august said:

Please advise your experiences in Luminae. I am  concerned about crowding as there are so many more suites on RF than EQ. We never have waited for a table nor not gotten our favorite table by a window on EQ in 4 cruises on her. Service has been great each time.  Also please advise how you find Michael's Club now that it is the Retreat lounge. Is there a bar or just servers there? Any entertainment there in the evening? Special presentations during the day? We have RF booked in a suite next Jan. 

I can tell you a little of that right now from our cruise last February.  Luminae was great.  The ship was only about half full, but suites were sold out.  Things did feel a little slower at times, but I think that had a lot more to do with newer (and perhaps fewer) staff at the time. Regardless, it was not a problem.

We sailed in a suite on EQ back last fall, and I really did not get a feel that the extra suites made a big difference.  Now, we always sat in the front area while on RF and in the rear area on EQ, but the tables filled.  I never noticed anyone waiting.  We never asked for a particular table on our last RF sailing, but we did on EQ and, like you, had essentially no problem sitting there every night.

Michael's still is Michael's on Reflection, and I'd be lying to you if I said I wasn't looking forward to it over the Retreat Lounge.  The Retreat Lounge may be less crowded with furniture, and it may be "brighter," and it may have nice nibbles on a buffet, but I just cannot get into the place.  So, yes, the bar is there and tended (very well tended by all reports).  Neither my wife nor I recall live music in there, but we weren't in there every night.  We'll pay a little more attention this time.

I don't recall special presentations in there during the day, but that really isn't my thing, so I wouldn't have paid attention.  I'll keep a closer eye out this time.

I'll be sure and update, as well!

Edited by DCPIV

19 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

Hey you two!  Tim and I just met you on board Azamara Onward.  Looking forward to following along with your report.  Especially since I am already in cruise withdrawal and won't head back out to sea until December.  Egads!  Safe travels!  Paul

Hey there!  It's great to hear from you!

I hate to rub it in, but the best cure for withdrawal is . . . . 

• Like 1

Alrighty!  Clothes are packed (including fat pants).  In fact, everything is packed except a few odds and ends that'll go in tonight or in the morning before we're off to the airport.  Flight is all checked in.  The last bit of work is out the door.

We're all but gone!

• Like 2

We, Bob and Cheryl, are also on this cruise. We fly out this morning to Fort Meyers to meet up with our friends, Sandy and Fred, who are also boarding tomorrow with us.

I will also be following while onboard and may add to this thread if you don;t mind. 

See you guys onboard.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, helen haywood said:

All you really absolutely need are passports and a credit card…😁

I never go cruising without my fat pants. There's a story behind that. 

3 hours ago, robtulipe said:

We, Bob and Cheryl, are also on this cruise. We fly out this morning to Fort Meyers to meet up with our friends, Sandy and Fred, who are also boarding tomorrow with us.

I will also be following while onboard and may add to this thread if you don;t mind. 

See you guys onboard.

Please chime in! We hope to meet y'all on board! 

We are underway, despite many pleas from our dog to stay home. 

20230225_075408.thumb.jpg.9363acc57ed842f76697a3a0ac83d1f0.jpg

20230225_080908.thumb.jpg.02c289f62a86a72b190b3d64430a7891.jpg

It wasn't easy, but we managed to pull ourselves away so that we could get to that "eat, drink, and be merry" part at the airport. With any luck, we'll be on the plane in about an hour and in Fort Lauderdale just in time to check in at the hotel. 

Cheers! 

20230225_093441.jpg

• Like 3

We made it to the hotel! The flight went smoothly. FLL was a bit of a madhouse, but what else should one expect on a Saturday afternoon? 

It's a lovely day. I have a lovely beer. I have an even lovelier partner in crime. 

More to come tomorrow. Cheers! 

• Like 5

Following along. We are booked into a Sky Suite for our October TransAtlantic. We’ve been on Reflection before but this will be our first Retreat experience. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Edited by catgirl411
  • Like 1