HUGE Price Increase on Premium Internet Plan

Roz

I'm considering purchasing a premium internet plan for my upcoming 31-day South American cruise.  The premium internet plan was $287.99 yesterday and today it's $351.99.  What's up with that???  HAL is really ticking me off.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm considering purchasing a premium internet plan for my upcoming 31-day South American cruise.  The premium internet plan was $287.99 yesterday and today it's $351.99.  What's up with that???  HAL is really ticking me off.

HAL isn't allowed to raise prices? Everyone says they should here everyday, to stop the "nickel and diming". 

You are correct.  I just checked the pricing for my 16 day TA in May.  It has gone from $199.00 to $239.00.  I am grateful I purchased it awhile back.  Unfortunately, all the cruise lines are rising the prices on everything!

ETA:  The laundry pricing has gone up too.  Unfortunately, I did not prepay for this!  It is now $168 instead of $144.

Edited by FlorenceItaly
  • Like 2

I mistakenly thought that prices were locked in on pre-purchases to encourage passengers to do that.  I guess I was wrong.  So if I understand things, there will be passengers paying different prices for ship excursions, add on dining, spa treatments, etc.  

I wish I never booked this cruise.  Everything is out of control.  

3 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

How much is the laundry now?

I didn't check that because this will be my first cruise as a 4-star Mariner so it will be free.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, FOPMan said:

At least as far as Internet goes, my understanding is that they are changing to a new provider. Hopefully, passengers will see improvements in tranmission speed.

That may be the case, but why should someone who purchased the plan yesterday get the same higher transmission speeds as someone paying the higher price today?  I'm not upset with you for supplying this info, I'm angry at HAL.

Edited by Roz

2 minutes ago, SDARCH said:

excursions as well.  booked some today and the price online for most were higher than the price listed in the e-brochure I printed a couple of months ago

The same thing happened to me.  Why provide an e-brochure when it's not accurate?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roz said:

That may be the case, but why should someone who purchased the plan yesterday get the same higher transmission speeds as someone paying the higher price today?  I'm not upset with you for supplying this info, I'm angry at HAL.

Think of it like an unadvertised early bird sale. I’m pretty sure there’s something about prices may change.

I know I was saddened when HAL took away the Half Moon Cay beverage package. I’d been eyeing it for our cruise l, logged in to purchase it, and it was gone.

13 minutes ago, Roz said:

The same thing happened to me.  Why provide an e-brochure when it's not accurate?

If you look closely, there's probably fine print that says prices are subject to change.

It isn't just HAL. I have a trip booked on American Queen, and the content and pricing of the excursions differs greatly from what's shown in the itinerary (the content you see before you book) and what's showing up as excursions now that they're available to book. Sure enough, the teeny tiny print on the itinerary had the "subject to change" disclaimer. 

I just hope the new internet provider is enough better to justify the increase. 

• Like 1

HAL is really pushing the Have it All pricing which includes the Surf package.  The early booking HIA for our Alaska 2024 cruise included the Premium internet package.  I may be glad I went with the HIA on that cruise!

• Like 1

In 2017 or 2018, I experienced a price increase for shorex so this isn't something new.  They need to increase the pricing, of amenities, at some point.  Could they put out a notice saying effective March 1st all shorex increase by $XXX?  Sure they could but why would they?  If they did give some notice, people would hustle and buy their amenities before the increase which would defeat the purpose.  If they spring it on people, then the early birds paid the lower pricing and the later people pay more for the same amenity.  That's just the way the cookie crumbles.  I get it, it sucks when one is on the paying more side...  Sometimes, I've won, sometimes I've lost.

• Like 3

Bought the premium internet and unlimited laundry a few weeks ago for our Mar 18 cruise. Feeling good about all the money I saved 🤣 None of our shore ex changed price, but I've routinely seen prices increase on those on past cruises. Part of the motivation to pay in advance I guess.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Roz said:

If you really want to get mad, poll the people sitting around you on a plane on what they paid for their ticket. And yet everyone gets from point A to point B at the same time. That's just how life works, unfortunately, when dynamic pricing is in play.

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

HAL is really pushing the Have it All pricing which includes the Surf package.  The early booking HIA for our Alaska 2024 cruise included the Premium internet package.  I may be glad I went with the HIA on that cruise!

I'm sailing solo, and the HIA just doesn't work for me. 

17 minutes ago, CruiserN1 said:

If you really want to get mad, poll the people sitting around you on a plane on what they paid for their ticket. And yet everyone gets from point A to point B at the same time. That's just how life works, unfortunately, when dynamic pricing is in play.

I understand dynamic pricing when it comes to airline tickets and cruises. I just wasn't expecting these price surges for things like internet and laundry a week before I fly out for my cruise. Guess I'm not as sophisticated as some of you. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm sailing solo, and the HIA just doesn't work for me. 

I am sailing solo now too and it worked for me on one cruise but it doesn’t on others but you can book the advantage fare or the non refundable fare and then call and have HIA added. I’ve done it.   It’s priced per person on that basis so easier to do the math and much more worthwhile.  Just in case it is of help.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Roz said:

@kazu, are you saying HAL only charges you for 1 HIA package?

Yes,  I booked my cruise without the HIA and then called HAL for pricing.  It was definitely not the price on the website if I had booked my cruise with HIA) when I did it and it was only a couple of months ago.  I knew the price for the cruise when I called.  

I may have lucked out but it was 1/2 the price when I did it.  It’s worth a call with the price of what it is for you at the very least.

With all the changes HAL is making it may not hold true but it worked for me.  It worked out to exactly the Canadian price for one person at the time so very much worth checking out.

edited to say - one caveat - HIA is non refundable when you do it as an add on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Yes,  I booked my cruise without the HIA and then called HAL for pricing.  It was definitely not the price on the website if I had booked my cruise with HIA) when I did it and it was only a couple of months ago.  I knew the price for the cruise when I called.  

I may have lucked out but it was 1/2 the price when I did it.  It’s worth a call with the price of what it is for two at the very least.

With all the changes HAL is making it may not hold true but it worked for me.  It worked out to exactly the Canadian price for one person at the time so very much worth checking out.

This is due to you traveling solo I am sure. 

1 minute ago, Laminator said:

This is due to you traveling solo I am sure. 

Yes, I think so - I was trying to help Roz and other solos who find the cruise fare with HIA too pricey - it’s another option to do HIA without paying for 2

• Like 3