Everyone loves the Indian food. Why not have an Indian food speciality restaurant?

On 3/1/2023 at 3:48 PM, John&LaLa said:

Everyone 🤔

I don't think so

I agree with you.  I do not personally know anyone who even likes Indian food.  Sorry - no offense to those from India who grew up with that type of cuisine.  I also don’t care for Middle Eastern and most Filipino food.  But people who do like these unusual dishes would probably pay for it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In Europe Indian food is a lot more popular, in UK there are a lot of Indian restaurants, it's almost our national dish.

I think an Indian restaurant would do well on Europe sailings but less so on USA ones, bit like the Masion Jar, it was mostly empty when we were on Wonder in Europe as that style of food does not appeal so much to Europeans, yet is a lot more popular on USA sailings.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, gavvy said:

In Europe Indian food is a lot more popular, in UK there are a lot of Indian restaurants, it's almost our national dish.

I think an Indian restaurant would do well on Europe sailings but less so on USA ones, bit like the Masion Jar, it was mostly empty when we were on Wonder in Europe as that style of food does not appeal so much to Europeans, yet is a lot more popular on USA sailings.

100% this, I’d far rather have a nice Goan fish curry or some really good onion bhajis than grits or some dry “biscuits” and weird gloopy white “gravy” 🤣

• Like 5

I found it odd that they put The Mason Jar on a ship. Being originally from the northeast of the United States, I find that type of food unappealing. There must be a large draw for it here in the U.S.

• Like 1

I am not one of those that will say, because I don’t like it, it shouldn’t be there. If it’s warranted, go for it. Not for me at all. I’m still wondering how all the Mexican food took over! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

p.s…..my kids and grandkids love Mexican. Not my wife and I!  Happy sailing!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, earltonharley said:

I am not one of those that will say, because I don’t like it, it shouldn’t be there. If it’s warranted, go for it. Not for me at all. I’m still wondering how all the Mexican food took over! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Can't believe it took so long before someone said something like that.

I agree. I hate Indian food, but I know a lot of (not *all*) people like it. So, if there's enough draw, go for it. I just hope it doesn't replace something I do like.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, depplep said:

I found it odd that they put The Mason Jar on a ship. Being originally from the northeast of the United States, I find that type of food unappealing. There must be a large draw for it here in the U.S.

FWIW, I feel Portside BBQ is a better use for that space on Oasis. 

Remember Wonder was destined for Asia, maybe that's considered exotic over there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, depplep said:

It's an upscale Cracker Barrel.  And there's never an empty Cracker Barrel

• Like 3

9 hours ago, earltonharley said:

I don't like lobster or prime rib ... so if those items are on the MDR menu they should be removed so as not to offend me.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 7:46 PM, Denversail said:

Indian food is constantly given an A+ in reviews. Why not add it as an up charge restaurant?

Sadly, I think the volume of diners would not be there to sustain it. I had the Indian options in the MTD restaurants and thought they were great.  Some Indian pax that I spoke with said it was the real deal!

teddie

Edited by teddie

I wonder how many of the “yuck club” people here have ever dined on good Indian food?  Check out a good Indian buffet; some of you may find a number of things you would like!  It’s not all curry, by the way.  Tandoori, biryani, and lots of other good things that do not include curry are out there.  Just sayin….

teddie

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, teddie said:

I wonder how many of the “yuck club” people here have ever dined on good Indian food?  Check out a good Indian buffet; some of you may find a number of things you would like!  It’s not all curry, by the way.  Tandoori, biryani, and lots of other good things that do not include curry are out there.  Just sayin….

teddie

Lobster Korma, amazing drinks, snacks, Tandoori items, deserts, etc.! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, teddie said:

teddie

Don't care for curry except in Shepherd's Pie along with Chutney...mmmmm.  But Tandoori chicken to die for!  Don't think I'd pay for it though. I make my own grilled flat bread at home.   As for Wonder's southern food, it's probably not what I make at all. I'm a Texan transplanted to Arkansas. Waffles do not belong with fried chicken, but on a plate at breakfast with butter and syrup only!!!!   I was never so disappointed as with RCCL's "gloopy white gravy" when I first had it years ago... which should be sausage milk gravy on biscuits, Because their biscuits are sweet....itsh!  Cracker Barrel is my fave...love their pot greens with ham bits and cornbread muffins.  Can't wait to try the Mason Jar.

18 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I like some authentic curry, but not everything across the menu.

The glop they serve on cruise ships is not appetizing. Easy pass for us on paying extra for gravy with spices thrown in.

There are two curry dishes I love - Shrimp Curry and Beef Curry Stew.  I also add a couple of teaspoons of curry in my turkey stuffing ( I never tell anyone, and those who have had it love my stuffing).  However, whenever I have guests for dinner, I always ask if they have any food allergies, just in case someone is allergic to curry or any ingredients I use.  So, like you, I’m not into a lot of foreign and unusual spices and herbs.  That’s why we have never gone to specialty dining restaurants.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, teddie said:

teddie

Similarly, people who say they don't like Mexican food:  don't know that there are regional variations of that food group.  It's a lack of experience / education that results in the "hate" comments, IMO.

• Like 2