Apex or Silly

mugwood

Looking at a Norway cruise out of Southampton in June this year.

hadn’t planned for one as we got off reflection in November and heading to canada this November.

has anyone experience of a real balcony versus an ocean view on a- what is likely to be a cool weather cruise?

is the new ship experience with giving up a real balcony?

I know it is all personal, but would. Like a sounding board if possible.

cheers.

We enjoy both.  Since you are coming off the reflection, and the silly is a twin ship,  the apex is a different experience.  I would suggest you try it.  The apex has multiple dining rooms which are like restaurants each with a few different items to choose from.  The silly, like the reflection, has a banquet style MDR.    

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

We used our balcony a lot on our Fjords cruise. You often enter the Fjords very early in the morning. It is great to be able to order coffee in the room and enjoy the views. We did have some good weather too and some afternoons we were able to sit outside and enjoy. Did we use a balcony as much as we would in the Caribbean or Mediterranean? No, but if I was to book another Fjords cruise I would still want a real balcony. 

• Like 3

What will the weather be like? I think the infinite verandas on Apex are great for inclement weather. You can sit in your cabin in comfort and enjoy wall to wall floor to ceiling views without having to endure wind, rain, cold or excessive heat. Should you want to feel the breeze or smell the salt air, just put your window down.

I have cruised several times on the Edge class ships and my appreciation of the infinite veranda is growing.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Tudy said:

What will the weather be like? I think the infinite verandas on Apex are great for inclement weather. You can sit in your cabin in comfort and enjoy wall to wall floor to ceiling views without having to endure wind, rain, cold or excessive heat. Should you want to feel the breeze or smell the salt air, just put your window down.

I have cruised several times on the Edge class ships and my appreciation of the infinite veranda is growing.

The weather can be four seasons in a day.

We went the beginning of May. We had blue skies and sunshine every day. It was warm in the sun but chilly in the shade. Not only did we dress in layers we did ask the butler for blankets to put over us when on the balcony. Friends of mine went late August. It was warmer for them but they did have some rain and a lot more cloud. Hit and miss like most of Northern Europe.

I can see that floor to ceiling windows could suit some but we did enjoy the breeze and sea air, we enjoyed it a lot…

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Should you want to feel the breeze or smell the salt air, just put your window down.

Except that in inclement weather the Captain may lock your windows, if it's raining, too windy, etc. We opted for the Sunset balcony.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, marieps said:

Ironic that E class is marketed as a ship that optimizes ocean views, and yet these seasoned passengers are recommending S class.

Not me my upcoming Apex TA will be my 66th cruise. My next 3 cruises will also be on E-class ships.

The infinite veranda is a balcony how do you not call it one? Plus you get the room extension which is a huge plus. If the weather is bad you will not use your balcony more than likely but the views from the IV will be excellent. The Sky Lounge is a waste of space no one is ever there. I guess if you like being bored go and sit for a while. The Edge class has Eden and much better dining venues.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, marieps said:

Ironic that E class is marketed as a ship that optimizes ocean views, and yet these seasoned passengers are recommending S class.

E class has very few views unless you are sailing in a suite.  No sky lounge.  Very few outward facing windows.  On my Cabo cruise I could see whales spouting all around the ship just while walking around.  This would not be probable on E class.  

I would not sail E class for a scenic itinerary as one wants to see the beauty even while walking around the ship.  

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 4

Enjoy the Silly, been on it twice in regular balconies. Love the Apex, and for cooler weather I think the IVs  are perfect. Lounge in comfort on your sofa or bed, depending on your room configuration  and feel very much a part of the scenery. For my upcoming transatlantic I think it’s perfect. Strictly for the Caribbean I might prefer a standard balcony for sunning. 

2 hours ago, Tudy said:

found the infinite balcony cabins too narrow- if you sit on the balcony unless you are extremely short or tall your vision is obstructed by the bar on the window.  Also cannot use a/c in cabin if infinite veranda door is open.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It is just an open/close window.  Not a balcony at all.

On your so call real balcony, you open a door to walk out it has a roof two sides, and a floor.

IV  you do not open a window it is more like opening a wall that drops down to a railing level.

Same views!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

On my Cabo cruise I could see whales spouting all around the ship just while walking around.  This would not be probable on E class.  

What a bonus. That must have been exciting.  I've seen dolphin pods while leaving the PEV channel but never a whale from the ship.

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

found the infinite balcony cabins too narrow- if you sit on the balcony unless you are extremely short or tall your vision is obstructed by the bar on the window.  Also cannot use a/c in cabin if infinite veranda door is open.  

The "bar" at the window of the infinite veranda is the same height as the hand rail on a standard balcony cabin. No?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

The "bar" at the window of the infinite veranda is the same height as the hand rail on a standard balcony cabin. No?

Not at all the same. Infinite veranda tiny and cabin narrow.  Only positive is the improved bathroom    It should be advertised as a windowed cabin

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

We will never agree on this issue but why... would anyone want to sit in a 200 sq. foot cabin with a 42 sq. foot veranda in the first place? There is a beautiful ship out there! This is a little better picture than posted.

CelCon111-6083-1621528639.webp

Edited by southernbreezes
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

We will never agree on this issue but why... would anyone want to sit in a 200 sq. foot cabin with a 42 sq. foot veranda in the first place? There is a beautiful ship out there! This is a little better picture than posted.

CelCon111-6083-1621528639.webp

That's the point.  It is a beautiful ship, but many people are paying to see the beautiful sites and locations, not sit around in closed up spaces.  It's what we used to call cruise ships, not floating resorts.  Real veranda cabins all the way.

• Like 3