cant buy insurance thru Royal?

Hi  everyone!  Haven't sailed on Royal for years, but since I am sailing this summer on the Oasis, I am looking at adding insurance, as I needed it last year very suddenly and had to cancel 10 days prior to sailing.   Now I find out as I live in New York state, that they can't sell me "Aon"?  I had it last year thru NCL and got back all my money.  Wondering what my fellow NYers are doing, any recommendations, if that's permitted here?  thx!

15 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

Hi  everyone!  Haven't sailed on Royal for years, but since I am sailing this summer on the Oasis, I am looking at adding insurance, as I needed it last year very suddenly and had to cancel 10 days prior to sailing.   Now I find out as I live in New York state, that they can't sell me "Aon"?  I had it last year thru NCL and got back all my money.  Wondering what my fellow NYers are doing, any recommendations, if that's permitted here?  thx!

We always buy trip insurance but never, ever from the cruise line.  You can get much better coverage for less money through a third party!!!

Here is where we get our quotes and purchase our policy….

www.insuremytrip.com

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We always buy trip insurance but never, ever from the cruise line.  You can get much better coverage for less money through a third party!!!

Here is where we get our quotes and purchase our policy….

www.insuremytrip.com

will check, thx!

Yep, NYS insurance dept came out with new regulations a few years ago so most lines no longer offer it when you are booking.

In any case, you also will get better medical/evac coverage from 3rd parties.

If you are looking for cancellation insurance buy it soon as you have to but a policy shortly ( I believe within 15 days) after booking-

1 hour ago, ngrund said:

Yep, NYS insurance dept came out with new regulations a few years ago so most lines no longer offer it when you are booking.

If you are looking for cancellation insurance buy it soon as you have to but a policy shortly ( I believe within 15 days) after booking-

I bought it last year.  

1 hour ago, ngrund said:

If you are looking for cancellation insurance buy it soon as you have to but a policy shortly ( I believe within 15 days) after 

8 minutes ago, tokidoki said:

I see as of Feb 2019, no insurance for NY.  Thx

I actually had the insurance added on to a Carnival cruise booked before the change and the insurance was cancelled and the amount was removed from the payment due.

3 hours ago, tokidoki said:

You can book the same policy directly through AON for the exact same price that Royal charges.  

https://travelcruisecare.com/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iuki said:

Why can’t people in NY buy insurance from cruise lines?

Anyone wishing to sell insurance to a resident of NY state must hold certain licensing requirements and meet certain conditions.  The cruise lines do not.  They are requirements of the State of New York.

• Like 1

For NY State...

Insurance Law § 2102 generally prohibits the sale of insurance without a license. According to Insurance Law § 2102(a)(1): No person, firm, association or corporation shall act as an insurance producer or insurance adjuster in this state without having authority to do so by virtue of a license issued and in force pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.

Insurance Law § 2101(k), in turn, defines an "insurance producer" as "an insurance agent, insurance broker, reinsurance intermediary, excess line broker, or any other person required to be licensed under the laws of this state to sell, solicit or negotiate insurance." Thus, a cruise line or tour operator that acts as an insurance agent but is unlicensed as such runs afoul of Insurance Law § 2102. Nevertheless, a travel agent may apply for a limited license to act as an insurance agent with respect to travel insurance, pursuant to Insurance Law § 2103(g). That statute authorizes:

a baggage or accident and health insurance agent's license to any ticket selling agent or representative of a railroad company, steamship company, carrier by air, or public bus carrier, who shall act thereunder as insurance agent only in reference to the issuance of baggage or accident insurance tickets primarily for the purpose of covering risk of travel.

8 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) is not allowed as a coverage in an insurance policy for residents of New York.

Actually they can.

The New York Department of Financial Services (DFS) issued guidance allowing travel agents and travel insurers to offer ‘cancel for any reason’ travel insurance after DFS received consumer complaints that these types of polices were not available in New York state, according to a DFS press release. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Actually they can.

The New York Department of Financial Services (DFS) issued guidance allowing travel agents and travel insurers to offer ‘cancel for any reason’ travel insurance after DFS received consumer complaints that these types of polices were not available in New York state, according to a DFS press release. 

Can you provide a link please? This information would be helpful on the insurance board.

2 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Can you provide a link please? This information would be helpful on the insurance board.

Here is a link to the article I pulled that from.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/east/2020/03/09/560599.htm

Here is also another article mentioning the change in policy as of March 2020.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/myths-cancel-for-any-reason-travel-insurance/

Myth: While CFAR is widely available, it has historically been prohibited to residents of New York. The state's Department of Financial Services had declared that "CFAR benefits in the travel context do not technically qualify as insurance because the cancellation of a trip 'for any reason' does not depend on the occurrence of fortuitous event." However, in March 2020, the department issued an Insurance Circular Letter to revise the rule, stating that CFAR benefits can be sold by an insurer in New York if "necessary or incidental to its travel insurance business." The revision also mentions that non-insurers can sell CFAR benefits "if they are not sold as an insurance product."

At the time of the ruling, six insurance firms announced plans to issue CFAR policies in New York. However, Seven Corners and many other firms still do not offer CFAR policies in New York, and for those who might offer the product, their CFAR policy rules and structures may be different than those offered in other states. It is recommended to speak directly with an insurance agent if you're looking to buy CFAR insurance as a resident of New York.

8 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Actually they can.

One of the other issues that DFS had with the plans sold by cruise lines is that they wanted the cancellation insurance to be available as a separate coverage, not just part of a product offering other travel related benefits.

Policies often appear identical but the fine print can contain big differences in coverage.  Best to speak with an expert at Insuremytrip or Squaremouth.  They offer policies from many carriers and can often get better coverage at lower price than what cruise lines and TA's are selling.