March weather between San Francisco and Hawaii?

Clampram

This year, California weather has been abnormally stormy--lots of storms brewing the Eastern Pacific.  This will reflect in your cruise.  Was on the Royal Princess to Hawaii in January and the first 2 days were rough (you literally couldn't walk in a straight line) and cold.  Very few people around to pool except to get pizza/burgers/froyo.  The weather gets more tropical as you approach Hawaii and becomes cools down as you approach Ensenada on the way back.  I'd say first two days at sea and the last 2 days at sea to Ensenada, all the way back to San Francisco was cold.  Pack clothes you can layer.  Rain usually backs off in April in Hawaii, but there are still chances.

Have a good cruise!  Hawaii is lovely.

As @SCX22mentioned, this has been an odd year for weather.  AND it is an El Niña pattern.  It is a little too far out to predict any weather, but next week is supposed to have an Atmospheric River approaching CA (San Francisco) from the islands.

This week, there are thunderstorms happening on all the islands.  That's also a little unusual.  "We" have had a good amount of rain, but still in a drought since rain isn't occurring over all islands.  Sort of here and there.  Plus. most of our portable water comes from our Artesian Wells.  It takes 7 years to percolate through the porous Lava Beds into our wells.  

You CAN expect it to be cold for your first 2 days out and back.  Even the kama'aina are calling it "cold" when it dips below 70 degrees. 

Take a windbreaker, something for rain (umbrella, jacket), and dress in layers.  All this means is that you will have beautiful rainbows (anuenue).  It is raining in Honolulu today.

• Thanks 1

Live right down the coast from San Francisco.

I am OLD....this has been the coldest, wettest winter EVER with no end in sight.

Have a sub pump under our house going almost constantly.

We are going on a cruise next week out of San Diego. Booked for 2 days in advance but now it appears the weather down there is also deary.

54 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

As @SCX22mentioned, this has been an odd year for weather.  AND it is an El Niña pattern.  It is a little too far out to predict any weather, but next week is supposed to have an Atmospheric River approaching CA (San Francisco) from the islands

Take a windbreaker, something for rain (umbrella, jacket), and dress in layers.  All this means is that you will have beautiful rainbows (anuenue).  It is raining in Honolulu today.

No rain, no rainbows!  No rain, no rainbows!  No rain, no rainbows!  
I keep repeating that mantra because we have had very few sunny days here in the SF Bay Area this entire winter.  But seriously, no complaints!  We really have needed this rain here in California.  

• Haha 1

Well, I’m glad I’m not the only one in the Bay Area knowing our weather this winter is very abnormally stormy, wet, and cold. Yep, I’m a wimp and want my sunshine and do things outdoors but noooooo 🤣.

But back to the subject, everyone who already posted from the West coast to Hawaii is correct. Normal weather is not happening so have indoor backup plans.

Cheers

I concur with my other Bay Area neighbors. It’s been COLD and wet this winter and early spring and there’s more rain forecast this coming week and next.  When we sailed out of San Francisco down to Mexico in December 2019 I froze (especially after going under the Golden Gate Bridge). Brrrrr and was cold until we reached Ensenada.  No pool time or MUTS for me.   I was so happy I had brought blue jeans, sweaters, and a jacket. I wore them several days.  We had a great time in Mexico with lots of warm beach time, whale watching, etc.. Coming back we had the same weather experience in reverse lol. I ended up buying a sweatshirt on the ship for the return to SF.  Have fun!

Edited by Ginster1

Ugh.  I was hoping to leave my jacket at my mom's house prior to boarding the ship.  This is one of the reasons why I dislike cruising this time of year.  Bundle up for flights leaving/arriving Boston, but now to have to bundle up for leaving SF is just sad.  Heavy sigh...

• Like 1

I'm 200 miles north of SF and the weather this year has been the weirdest.  We've gotten snow 3 times this year.  Last time we had snow was 2019.  

I'm driving down to SF this Sat for our cruise on the 12th.  I'm giving myself a couple extra hours just in case the rain beats us to have to drive slow.  

I expect to have to wear a jacket, possibly raingear for the trip out. 

I've done this cruise multiple times at this time of year and normally need shorts, but this year... YIKES!

• Like 2

I am currently on an LA-Hawai'i cruise & am posting weather updates along with my live (which are a few days behind our actual progress). SF should start our the same amount cooler that the local weather is from ours (the first day was only slightly warmer than the port was as we boarded) but then should be somewhat similar (we left days after the big snow storm) as you get closer to the islands & back to Ensenada should be the same. 

we had a gorgeous day on Oahu yesterday inspite of drizzles & clouds as we sailed in...we are staying an extra day here as Nawiliwili, Kauai was cancelled because of weather conditions 

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2023 at 4:26 AM, Teeara said:

Ugh.  I was hoping to leave my jacket at my mom's house prior to boarding the ship.  This is one of the reasons why I dislike cruising this time of year.  Bundle up for flights leaving/arriving Boston, but now to have to bundle up for leaving SF is just sad.  Heavy sigh...

Cruising out of San Francisco is rarely warm and sunny, even in the summertime.  It can be nice but that is an exception to the rule.  We’ve only had two cruises where it was actually hot in the City when leaving.  
This year has been exceptionally cold and stormy here.  We even have snow in the surrounding hilltops. Even if the storms are cooperative, you should definitely bring a heavy jacket if you intend to hang out on top for sail away under the GG bridge.   

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

I am currently on an LA-Hawai'i cruise & am posting weather updates along with my live (which are a few days behind our actual progress). SF should start our the same amount cooler that the local weather is from ours (the first day was only slightly warmer than the port was as we boarded) but then should be somewhat similar (we left days after the big snow storm) as you get closer to the islands & back to Ensenada should be the same. 

we had a gorgeous day on Oahu yesterday inspite of drizzles & clouds as we sailed in...we are staying an extra day here as Nawiliwili, Kauai was cancelled because of weather conditions 

I even read that the islands were having some cooler and rainier weather than they’d normally see.  
enjoy your cruise and thanks for the updates.  

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 5:41 AM, justafem said:

I'm 200 miles north of SF and the weather this year has been the weirdest.  We've gotten snow 3 times this year.  Last time we had snow was 2019.  

I'm driving down to SF this Sat for our cruise on the 12th.  I'm giving myself a couple extra hours just in case the rain beats us to have to drive slow.  

I expect to have to wear a jacket, possibly raingear for the trip out. 

I've done this cruise multiple times at this time of year and normally need shorts, but this year... YIKES!

the weather is only supposed to have scattered showers on both the 11th and the 12th … right after we get pummeled again today and tomorrow.  Hopefully, that will make your trip down a lot easier and safer.  
Yesterday, even though the high was only 53°, that sunshine was such a beautiful sight!  I never complain about getting rain in this drought ridden area but all winter is wearing on me a bit.  Like I mentioned, an occasional sunny day just makes me so happy!  

On 3/8/2023 at 8:01 AM, Clampram said:

Well.....it has to be better than new England right now, right?

New England is downright balmy compared to California right now, especially those of us living in southern New England.

48 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Remember the famous Mark Twain quote.  The coldest winter I ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco.

That reminds me of when my cousins came to visit me from Florida in August one year.  They were going over to the City in the morning and then onto the nighttime tour of Alcatraz.  Well, I asked if that is all they were wearing, as they both had on just tshirts and shorts.  I lent them each a jacket but she exclaimed, “it’s August”.  Well, about an hour into their tour on Alcatraz, they called an asked if we could pick them up early.  They were absolutely freezing!  
We live across the Bay Bridge and it gets cold here at night, too … even in the summer.  

Quick note … there is no evidence it was ever Mark Twain that said this but the quote has been attributed to him for decades.  

We went to Hawaii out of SF the first week of April 2019 and except for the first night, it was fine.  FYI - if it means anything, I am susceptible to seasickness and other than that first night, which I had been warned about, I didn't have any problems at all. 

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1