Carnival, why do you even make rules?

I was surprised to see this rule, and actually see it is more reasonable than I thought. Loud music is always a problem, in public settings. However private security has much more ability to deal with this than public police, so it really is apples and oranges. A few years ago, I was on vacation in Aruba. I had a small speaker with me, but mostly left it in the room. One day at the beach, I was next to a family that had one, and they were playing music I liked. I said to my wife, I hadn't even thought to bring it to the beach, but I was glad the other family did. So often the complaint in a matter like this is because of musical taste more than volume. However, unlike in most communities, the cruise line had an outright ban whereas the police need a member of the public to complain about a breach of peace. Also the pool areas and other common areas are full of crew members who could notify security of a rule violation.  

As for security incompetence, this is probably due to two factors. First security is often a low paid job and employers fight against more training. Second rules of engagement are mostly written by lawyers and insurance agents who have no clue about security. Years ago, I had a friend who worked in security, his company had a rule that you were never to put your hands on anyone else. Most of you are thinking, how would he stop a bad guy without touching, and you would be right, but he was fired not for making an apprehension but for doing CPR, because he used his hands. I don't know if this is the case o the ships, but I can see this being a reason for why more rules are not enforced rigidly.

The OP only mentions the one rule he got caught on, so IMO, it's jealousy or poor me that he got caught and they didn't.

I taught my kids at a young age to respect our house rules, no matter what other kids do in their houses.  Too bad for the OP that he/she hasn't learned that lesson yet.  Unwarranted resentments can lead to unhappy days.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sfaaa said:

You may be jumping to premature conclusion. I have never witnessed any unruly behavior on my Alaska, New England and Panama Canal cruises but I saw enough of that on Caribbean cruises. It has a lot to do with ship itineraries and month of the cruise, not necessary the cruise line.

Just got back from a 5-day out of Miami.  There were plenty of the folks that people have used coded language to complain about and there were no problems at all.  No smell of weed, no fights, no unruly teens.  I have been on over 20 cruises with Carnival of all lengths, itineraries, and home ports, and have never seen many of the issues people claim happen on every Carnival cruise.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, AFS1970 said:

So often the complaint in a matter like this is because of musical taste more than volume.

Not for me, I do not want to hear anyone's music at the beach. I want to hear the ocean. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, sfaaa said:

You may be jumping to premature conclusion. I have never witnessed any unruly behavior on my Alaska, New England and Panama Canal cruises but I saw enough of that on Caribbean cruises. It has a lot to do with ship itineraries and month of the cruise, not necessary the cruise line.

I agree with this. Our Carnival Cruises that were longer than seven days never had any of these issues. Itinerary has a lot to do with clientele and I wish I could do the longer cruises more often. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Same for us for Alaska, New England and Pacific Coastal cruises.  Very well behaved people (and some of these were CCL cruises).  We have cruised with CCL more than any other line, but once all of our "lift and shift" cruises from COVID are done, we won't be cruising with them as often for sure, especially in the Caribbean, for the reasons the OP has pointed out.  

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

Just got back from a 5-day out of Miami.  There were plenty of the folks that people have used coded language to complain about and there were no problems at all.  No smell of weed, no fights, no unruly teens.  I have been on over 20 cruises with Carnival of all lengths, itineraries, and home ports, and have never seen many of the issues people claim happen on every Carnival cruise.

Apparently I need to cruise with you then! I've been on 4 Carnival cruises since the restart and smelled pot on every one of them.

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

Apparently you have misunderstood who people have been complaining about with "coded language" since those plenty of people did not behave in the manner people have been complaining about.

I think the difference between those who "smelled pot" vs those who didn't is more based in those who are "looking to smell" of pot vs those who are minding their own business and focusing on their vacation because I agree pot is likely on all sailings just depends on who you are....like these threads often make me realize I REALLY don't pay attention to strangers like some people seem to.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, cacruisin said:

I think the difference between those who "smelled pot" vs those who didn't is more based in those who are "looking to smell" of pot vs those who are minding their own business and focusing on their vacation because I agree pot is likely on all sailings just depends on who you are....like these threads often make me realize I REALLY don't pay attention to strangers like some people seem to.

Well, having gone through kilos back in my 70s college days I find it very hard not to smell and recognize it when it is around without looking to smell in the least. I kind of like the nostalgia. 😇

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, cacruisin said:

I guess to me, it's kind of hard to miss when you're just walking down the side of the ship on Lido and you smell it coming up from the balconies. It's a very pungent distinctive smell that is hard to miss or mistake for something else.

How much illegal drug use is acceptable to be around you and your family on your vacations then, since we're on the topic?

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I guess to me, it's kind of hard to miss when you're just walking down the side of the ship on Lido and you smell it coming up from the balconies. It's a very pungent distinctive smell that is hard to miss or mistake for something else.

How much illegal drug use is acceptable to be around you and your family on your vacations then, since we're on the topic?

I agree with it being hard to miss.

I find your second paragraph quite thought provoking.

On the one hand I don't feel threatened by pot heads (or whatever the current term is). It is not like they are going to assault or rob you to get a fix unless robbing people is just how they get money to live. I would just tell my kids, if they noticed and asked, that some people smoke it like some people drink and for the same reasons but it is illegal so not the smart way to go.

On the other hand there is the problem of these folks breaking the law. Once someone announces they are willing to break laws you don't have any way of knowing just which laws or social conventions they are willing to break. Will they kill you as you sleep on a lounger because you snore? Will they trip you as you walk by just for a laugh? That uncertainty creates uncomfortable worry. By being so inconsiderate as to cause that worry these folks are at best jerks.

So I am not open to any illegal drug use outside one's own residence.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

it’s been this way for years , it has its ebb and flow .. buts it always been there .. at least from 2005 or so .. 

we were on a cruise out of Port Canaveral, on the dream .. it could have been it first sailing there ( not sure) , there was an horrendous  fight in the disco that spilled out into the surrounding area , went on for a good 30 mins, damaged to people and the ship .. two large families… CCl was totally unprepared.. there were letters and training and 20 years latter . it stills go on.. it’s the price .. 

for those who say it doesn’t happen or hearsay .. go to u tube .. 

you don’t find any where near as much Chaos on higher prices lines or itinerary’s. 
im preparing my self for a summer Carib cruise now and the young ones in are family are putting it together  , are all for ccl due to the price .. so we will go , but we completely understand what we will get . 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Ooh, ooh, what's the "code" you're taking about and how does one get into the secret club to use it??!

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, icft said:

Well, having gone through kilos back in my 70s college days I find it very hard not to smell and recognize it when it is around without looking to smell in the least. I kind of like the nostalgia. 😇

Yeah like the 70's college dorm on weekends. Stale beer and pot smell in the hallways. Loud rock music blaring (mostly BTO, Led Zeppelin etc). Hate the pot smell now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cacruisin said:

Since Cannabis became legal in Canada, the smell of weed has become ubiquitous. You don't have to go looking for it and the aroma is unmistakable. Well, those who are unfamiliar might think they smell a skunk nearby. Walking down the street, in a parking lot, at the beach or park, driving down the road wafting from the car ahead (yup that's illegal), heck we even caught a whiff while driving on the highway. When you walk into a Cannabis store, there is no mistaking where you are. 

I have smelled it while cruising, while out on my balcony and in the hallways. In my experience, I find those who smoke weed are more mellow and far less likely to become aggressive than those that over consume alcohol, illegal or not.

Edited by MonaCD
typo
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2023 at 3:30 PM, crazy4themouse said:

The one issue we had this cruise was not one I expected. I know Carnival just recently made the big to-do about how they're done with everyone's shenanigans and were going to be cracking down. Chair hogs, fights, that sort of thing were not going to be tolerated...They made it sound like Shaquille O'Neal himself was going to pop out of a lifeboat and kick anyone's ass who defied the rules.

I am sorry - but this made me chuckle.  

Carnival is just not going to piss off its base.  People who act like this on their ships have no idea how their behavior reflects upon them - and they don't care.  To them, they are on vacation, and they can do what they want.  

When we sail Carnival, I know what to expect.  I am getting what I paid for.  We stay more to ourselves and try to avoid drama.  If I want a different experience, I choose a different line - but I can afford to.  Not everyone has that option.  

The people I feel badly for are those decent folks who save their pennies all year for a 3-4 night cruise and end up having to endure such unpleasantness.  I once read a post on these boards (years ago) where someone said that if you can't afford to stay in a hotel the night before your cruise, you have no business cruising.  *ouch*   

When we started cruising, our kids were young, and we did things as cheaply as possible.  We worked hard and saved up.  We knew how to act right, and required our kids to be considerate of other people.  Carnival should be catering to THOSE folks and maybe they would get some of the rest of us back more often.

My $.02

• Like 7

18 hours ago, cacruisin said:

Not at all.  I don’t go out “looking to smell” pot as you so eloquently stated.  However I know what it is when i smell it.  I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and I hate the smell of marijuana as well.  

Edited by AquarianCruiser
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I’ve been on 4 Carnival cruises and they were fine with the exception of kids running down the hallways banging on the doors and people in the main dining room sitting down with their nasty feet under the table resting on the seat across from them.  And another thing,  I don’t like it when people act like slobs in the buffet lines.    I have only seen this on Carnival.  Celebrity doesn’t even allow baseball caps in the main dining rooms which is okay with me.  At least they enforce some standards which i happen to agree with. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bitemyfly said:

it’s been this way for years , it has its ebb and flow .. buts it always been there .. at least from 2005 or so .. 

we were on a cruise out of Port Canaveral, on the dream .. it could have been it first sailing there ( not sure) , there was an horrendous  fight in the disco that spilled out into the surrounding area , went on for a good 30 mins, damaged to people and the ship .. two large families… CCl was totally unprepared.. there were letters and training and 20 years latter . it stills go on.. it’s the price .. 

for those who say it doesn’t happen or hearsay .. go to u tube .. 

you don’t find any where near as much Chaos on higher prices lines or itinerary’s. 
im preparing my self for a summer Carib cruise now and the young ones in are family are putting it together  , are all for ccl due to the price .. so we will go , but we completely understand what we will get . 

I agree with you 100 %.
I prefer cruising with a more mature / older crowd.  The worst thing that I have to deal with is the occasional oldster who pours his or her coffee and stands there mixing the cream and sugar then tasting it to see if it’s right or not.  If not, it’s got to be corrected right there for another minute before freeing up access to the coffee for others.  I can deal with that with no problem.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ldubs said:

For the laws not enforced, it is the same as not having them.  

Can't argue that point. However, people want laws and rules that don't impact them, but other people. Then when they are impacted, they don't want to pay the consequences. We have taught society that you can raise a scene and do what you want.

Which weed is on a similar theme. It is widely accepted now because it was mean to enforce. It's also a medicinal superfood now. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, AquarianCruiser said:

Not at all.  I don’t go out “looking to smell” pot as you so eloquently stated.  However I know what it is when i smell it.  I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and I hate the smell of marijuana as well.  

Marijuana smoke particles cling to you unlike cigarette smoke so you take the smell with you if if inadvertently walk through someone's exhale

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Can't argue that point. However, people want laws and rules that don't impact them, but other people. Then when they are impacted, they don't want to pay the consequences. We have taught society that you can raise a scene and do what you want.

Which weed is on a similar theme. It is widely accepted now because it was mean to enforce. It's also a medicinal superfood now. 

I agree with your sentiments.  I try my best to not be one of those people.  The “rules for thee but not for me” types.  The hypocrites. Society would benefit greatly if more people in general were more courteous, respectful, practiced empathy, were more considerate of others and had better manners.  I mean, look how people in general drive these days.  It’s like a scene right out of the Road Warrior.  And what percentage of people actually use their turn signals?  Half or maybe less?  A little courtesy, politeness and good manners goes a long way in my opinion.  
I believe an individual’s upbringing often reflects these things.  

• Like 1