Non-Alcoholic Beer

MistyRo76

Doing a Google search, it looks like Heineken is the only non-alcoholic beer that Carnival carries on board. Does anyone know if this is still accurate? A member of our group on our next cruise is an alcoholic but still enjoys the taste of beer. He has found quite a few really good NA beers that are carridr by the local liquor store. The Heineken one is just ok for him. With a wider variety of NA options (beers, craft mocktails, even NA seltzers that can give a relaxed/floaty feel) becoming available at local bars and the push toward an NA lifestyle becoming more mainstream, it would be nice to see Carnival follow suit! 

Also, curious why Csrnival’s allotted carry on amount of non-alcoholic beverages doesn’t extend to NA beers. Any insights on this? It would be different if Carnival had a robust selection to offer onboard but one option would get old on a week long cruise. 

The last time I was onboard the only NA beer they offered was Heineken yes.

If I were in this position, I'd be willing to argue my case to the embarkation crew that NA beer is nothing but a different flavor of soda and should be allowed to be brought on.

Just now, mz-s said:

The last time I was onboard the only NA beer they offered was Heineken yes.

If I were in this position, I'd be willing to argue my case to the embarkation crew that NA beer is nothing but a different flavor of soda and should be allowed to be brought on.

Yeah…I figured maybe we’ll buy a couple six packs and try to carry it on. We’re driving to the port this time, if they don’t allow it, we can also walk it back out to the car. 

Bigger picture - it would be nice to see Carnival get with the times and expand their offerings in this area. I know many people who aren’t necessarily alcoholics/problem drinkers, that are giving up alcohol just for health reasons. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MistyRo76 said:

Yeah…I figured maybe we’ll buy a couple six packs and try to carry it on. We’re driving to the port this time, if they don’t allow it, we can also walk it back out to the car. 

Bigger picture - it would be nice to see Carnival get with the times and expand their offerings in this area. I know many people who aren’t necessarily alcoholics/problem drinkers, that are giving up alcohol just for health reasons. 

I think the biggest issue is most of the bars have limited refrigeration space so they can't stock multiple brands of NA Beer and still have all the beers, seltzers, etc., that guests demand that are much more popular. If they had more refrigeration space I'm sure they'd stock more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MistyRo76 said:

I'm sure if they saw a market for this they would do it. You could try writing to the person at Corporate that is in charge of this to put the bug in their ear but the ability to store the extra product is limited. I'm not aware of what sorts of agreements they have with vendors but that might also have some impact on their ability to offer this.

They had Coors Edge as the NA beer on my February Celebration sailing. 

Most Carnival blender drinks can be made without alcohol. I've also had bartenders whip up some fruity non-alcoholic concoctions for my kid just by asking. I wish I got the recipe of whatever was made for her at the Passport bar because it was actually delicious. 

29 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

I would also like to see NA wine available onboard.  I know that one bottle per person can be carried onboard, but it would be nice to have this available onboard also.

It's called Welch's Grape Juice😁

In all seriousness, again while a desire for some cruisers, the demand would probably be too small to warrant a decent selection.  But since you are allowed to bring 2 bottles on board, you can buy something you like and carry it on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, x lindsay x said:

They had Coors Edge as the NA beer on my February Celebration sailing. 

Most Carnival blender drinks can be made without alcohol. I've also had bartenders whip up some fruity non-alcoholic concoctions for my kid just by asking. I wish I got the recipe of whatever was made for her at the Passport bar because it was actually delicious. 

He prefers beer to mixed drinks...but Carnival does have some nice "mocktail" options on most of the bar menus as well as just asking for the standard virgin daiquiri or something. I'm sure he'll try some of those as well! 

2 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

I would also like to see NA wine available onboard.  I know that one bottle per person can be carried onboard, but it would be nice to have this available onboard also.

The only thing they carry AFAIK is Martinelli's sparkling cider.

We took a six pack of non alcoholic beer on at embarkation on Carnival Luminosa very recently. It was in cans. No problem.  In Australia, there is quite a variety in cans.  Perhaps not there in US, or does Carnival exclude this in your cruise contract?

I ordered an NA on Horizon week before last and they brought me a Sam Adams Just the Haze.  I snapped a pic to remember it for home I thought it was really good. This was just bar service coming to loungers on deck 10. 

I also wish that Carnival carried more Non-Alcoholic beers, or allowed one to carry it on. My husband doesn’t drink a drop, but loves his non-alcoholic beers.  Honestly, I would drink them myself sometimes too because although I do drink I don’t drink much and enjoy the NA beers as an option.

Many people, for either medical or religious reasons, would enjoy these NA beers.

I think that because in the United States (unlike Japan, for instance) most NA beers contain a very very small amount of alcohol, they are treated as adult beverages and cannot be purchased by minors, so they are treated the same by Carnival and cannot be brought aboard. Wish this would change at least with the new true 0.0% beers like Bud Free.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2023 at 8:37 AM, TravelBluebird said:

I also wish that Carnival carried more Non-Alcoholic beers, or allowed one to carry it on. My husband doesn’t drink a drop, but loves his non-alcoholic beers.  Honestly, I would drink them myself sometimes too because although I do drink I don’t drink much and enjoy the NA beers as an option.

Many people, for either medical or religious reasons, would enjoy these NA beers.

I think that because in the United States (unlike Japan, for instance) most NA beers contain a very very small amount of alcohol, they are treated as adult beverages and cannot be purchased by minors, so they are treated the same by Carnival and cannot be brought aboard. Wish this would change at least with the new true 0.0% beers like Bud Free.

I hadn't considered the fact that they do have a teeny amount of alcohol in them to be the reason you couldn't carry them on. But that makes sense! Thank you! 

The last 2 or 3 cruises I was able to get Sam Adams Just the Haze. It's a really good NA IPA. The downside was that I could only get one or two the first night, then they were out the rest of the cruise. I was then downgraded to Coors Edge the rest of the trip.

I have brought 2 6-packs of NA beer on board. It hasn't been a problem yet, but they also never even looked at it because no one was working the inspection table. I had the rules pulled up on my phone ready to put up a fight though.

Years ago we brought on a case of NA, not sure if it was Carnival or Celebrity though.  We sure did get some looks going through security, everyone in line was telling  us to take it back to the car u til we pointed out that it was NA.  Worth a try to take it on.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Speaking of Non-Alcoholic drinks, Carnival just announced some special non-alcoholic cocktails that will be available in the Alchemy Bar! I’m so excited!

I was just coming back here to post about the same! 

image.png.96330a0ee2907d1aed422dd19c7962e2.png

• Like 1

On 3/9/2023 at 6:57 AM, MistyRo76 said:

Also, curious why Csrnival’s allotted carry on amount of non-alcoholic beverages doesn’t extend to NA beers. Any insights on this? It would be different if Carnival had a robust selection to offer onboard but one option would get old on a week long cruise. 

I am not sure why NA beer is excluded from carry-on but a few weeks ago I was at a store and the gentleman ahead of me in his forties was not allowed to buy NA beer since he didn't have his driver's license.  

2 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

I am not sure why NA beer is excluded from carry-on but a few weeks ago I was at a store and the gentleman ahead of me in his forties was not allowed to buy NA beer since he didn't have his driver's license.  

Someone above pointed out that many NA beers actually have a small amount of alcohol in them. Not enough to be considered alcoholic beverages. But still some. So I’m guessing that’s why! 

• Like 1