Plus/Premier pricing question

smplybcause

Hi, I haven't cruised with Princess before, but I'm looking at a few cruises. I'm a bit confused about the pricing and hoping you can help because I can't find the answer. I see everywhere that it's 60/80 a day, but every cruise adds more than that to the standard price on all the ones I've looked at. I don't know if it's something to do with me cruising solo? Or does Princess charge an 18% gratuity on the package? Or something else I'm missing. The last cruise I priced out is adding $74/day for the Plus package not $60. Though that's more than 18% so I'm just confused! (I priced the same one for 2 and it's $67/day.) I saw that you can now buy it on board, so if they don't charge gratuity on top of the price it looks like it would behoove me to just buy the package on board. Do you still get the Medallion accessory with Premier if you buy on board? Thanks!

There is a Plus Package for pricing out the cruise ($60 with no additional fee) and a separate Plus Beverage Package (which is something like $64 or $65 to which they also add 18%). You probably want the former which you add to the price of your cruise at the time of booking. You can add it on after the fact but make sure you ask for the Plus Fare Package and not the Plus Beverage Package. When I booked my upcoming cruise it was done under the 3rd Person Sails Free program. Because of this only the first two guests got Plus. I had to call to add Plus to the third person. The cost was $50 (at that time) times 8 days for a total of $400 even. No extra tax or gratuity. Had I added the Plus Beverage Package I would have paid more and gotten less 

• Like 1

I know exactly what @JimmyVWine (thank you) is saying.  But to a new poster or passenger, Princess makes it sound like..."blah, blah, blah, blah".

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

There is a Plus Package for pricing out the cruise ($60 with no additional fee) and a separate Plus Beverage Package (which is something like $64 or $65 to which they also add 18%). You probably want the former which you add to the price of your cruise at the time of booking. You can add it on after the fact but make sure you ask for the Plus Fare Package and not the Plus Beverage Package. When I booked my upcoming cruise it was done under the 3rd Person Sails Free program. Because of this only the first two guests got Plus. I had to call to add Plus to the third person. The cost was $50 (at that time) times 8 days for a total of $400 even. No extra tax or gratuity. Had I added the Plus Beverage Package I would have paid more and gotten less 

Princess Plus:  wifi, gratuity, drinks

Plus Beverage Package:  drinks

This is as clear as mud.....(below)

Our "Princess Plus" fare includes our Princess Plus Beverage Package, Wi-Fi and Crew Appreciation!

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, smplybcause said:

Hi, I haven't cruised with Princess before, but I'm looking at a few cruises. I'm a bit confused about the pricing and hoping you can help because I can't find the answer. I see everywhere that it's 60/80 a day, but every cruise adds more than that to the standard price on all the ones I've looked at. I don't know if it's something to do with me cruising solo? Or does Princess charge an 18% gratuity on the package? Or something else I'm missing. The last cruise I priced out is adding $74/day for the Plus package not $60. Though that's more than 18% so I'm just confused! (I priced the same one for 2 and it's $67/day.) I saw that you can now buy it on board, so if they don't charge gratuity on top of the price it looks like it would behoove me to just buy the package on board. Do you still get the Medallion accessory with Premier if you buy on board? Thanks!

I've noticed the same. Looking at a cruise for Nov 2023.

Standard Fare: $1058

Plus Fare: $1577

Premier fare: $1717

Both Plus and Premier are coming up as a fair bit more than $60/80 per day..  respectively,  $74.14 for Plus and $94.14 for Premier - both of which prices are less than what the respective stand-alone beverage packages would cost (by a couple bucks) but definitely much more than the supposed $60/80.   

I have no idea why, as whichever package I choose makes no difference to "taxes and fees". And the prices are showing before the optional insurance page, which I know is based on fare..  

So, what is it? Who knows?? 

I'll be booking the Standard fare, and buying the package aboard, as there it's a strict $60/80, no gratuity charged on them when bought aboard - and even if it were, it would still be less than the difference when buying them as a package at booking....  Plus, doing it that way Dave's in the Princess insurance price, for those who purchase that...

So, win win .. 

Very strange pricing indeed... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smplybcause said:

32 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Both Plus and Premier are coming up as a fair bit more than $60/80 per day..  respectively,  $74.14 for Plus and $94.14 for Premier - both of which prices are less than what the respective stand-alone beverage packages would cost (by a couple bucks) but definitely much more than the supposed $60/80.   

I have no idea why, as whichever package I choose makes no difference to "taxes and fees". And the prices are showing before the optional insurance page, which I know is based on fare..  

I'll be booking the Standard fare, and buying the package aboard, as there it's a strict $60/80, no gratuity charged on them when bought aboard - and even if it were, it would still be less than the difference when buying them as a package at booking....  Plus, doing it that way Dave's in the Princess insurance price, for those who purchase that...

So, win win .. 

First all, the applicable gratuities are already baked into the Plus and Premier Cruise Fare options.

Next, Princess had been known to periodically have pricing errors with certain cruise voyages and these may be corrected as noticed or when pointed out to them.

Next - and this is nothing new, Princess has been known to discount the Standard Fare on selected cruise voyages and leave the Plus alone (this was in the days prior to Premier), so it would not surprise me to learn this was happening now.

Neither one of you has mentioned the voyage, date, and length of the cruise.  That said, using the pricing provided by @reedprincess, the difference between the Plus and Premier Fare options is $140 which equates to $20/day x 7 days.  So, if this was about a week long cruise, then the integrity of pricing between Plus and Premier is good.  And it is only off $100 between Standard and Plus, so it could be a promo.

PS - It would be helpful if folks posting about a cruise and pricing would always include the ship, sail date, voyage length, so that others who may want to help can look up with cruise and see if we see the same thing.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

So, win win .. 

I'm pretty much in that situation.  We booked a 14 day cruise.  TA mentioned that we had a special fare and that adding the those packages wasn't an option for that fare.  I could get those packages, but then the fare would be higher.  So, we passed on the packages and are taking that lower special fare.  We had a bit of this discussion on another thread

We were on the fence about getting the Plus package and this pushed us to "NO."  We might think about seeing what would happen if we added on board as some have done.  The cruise is in Feb '24

Great suggestion.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

PS - It would be helpful if folks posting about a cruise and pricing would always include the ship, sail date, voyage length, so that others who may want to help can look up with cruise and see if we see the same thing.

There are, soon to be, another class ship (Sun Princess).  And with the different modifications to the Grand Class Ships, it is difficult to give ship specific information.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

First all, the applicable gratuities are already baked into the Plus and Premier Cruise Fare options.

Next, Princess had been known to periodically have pricing errors with certain cruise voyages and these may be corrected as noticed or when pointed out to them.

Next - and this is nothing new, Princess has been known to discount the Standard Fare on selected cruise voyages and leave the Plus alone (this was in the days prior to Premier), so it would not surprise me to learn this was happening now.

Neither one of you has mentioned the voyage, date, and length of the cruise.  That said, using the pricing provided by @reedprincess, the difference between the Plus and Premier Fare options is $140 which equates to $20/day x 7 days.  So, if this was about a week long cruise, then the integrity of pricing between Plus and Premier is good.  And it is only off $100 between Standard and Plus, so it could be a promo.

November 12, 2023 Caribbean Princess, solo passenger, inside cabin.

No sales on that cruise, no promo pricing, same difference in pricing logged in or not.. (the prices are lower when logged in, but the difference between the fares is the same, ie $74.14 and $94.14 ) 

Does that make any difference for you? 

Doesn't seem to make any difference to the pricing.

Yes, I know the "applicable gratuities" are supposed to be baked into the Plus and Premier cruise packages - hence the oddity that it comes out as more than $60/80 pp per day..  and hence - the questioning by the OP (and myself).  

Why are the Plus and Premier cruise packages coming up at $14+ more than the 60/80 advertised? 

And, at least for me, definitely makes sure I don't book it and wait til I'm aboard to buy it at the correct price.  

22 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

No sales on that cruise, no promo pricing, same difference in pricing logged in or not.. (the prices are lower when logged in, but the difference between the fares is the same, ie $74.14 and $94.14 ) 

Yes, I know the "applicable gratuities" are supposed to be baked into the Plus and Premier cruise packages - hence the oddity that it comes out as more than $60/80 pp per day..  and hence - the questioning by the OP (and myself).  

Why are the Plus and Premier cruise packages coming up at $14+ more than the 60/80 advertised? 

And, at least for me, definitely makes sure I don't book it and wait til I'm aboard to buy it at the correct price.  

This is an off-the-top-of-my-head, half-baked suggestion with no math done to back it up. Are you booking Princess Vacation Protection on this sailing? The price of that is based on the total amount of the cruise. So, if you add something that increases or decreases the total cost, then the vacation protection goes up or down. 

• Like 2

If there is an error in pricing, you may have to book the standard fare and have Princess or your TA add the plus or premier package after the fact.  
You will be charged more for your Princess sponsored insurance after purchasing the package if you do so up front.  It should only be approx 10% more, though.  
The app now shows a section where you can purchase your package (or upgrade you package) while onboard.  Your insurance doesn’t go up based on these purchases and you can use your OBC.  This is what I’ve been told, anyway.  
Solo fares are rarely half of what you’d normally pay for a double occupancy cabin but they do occur from time to time.  
You will still receive a Princess Medallion accessory if your purchase the premier package onboard.  It isn’t much, it’s a little clip to hold your medallion.  I think you will find them onboard for less than $10.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Yes, what you provided makes a world of difference as I can look at specifics and provide more details.  And tip-of-the-hat to @Sea Hag who has suggested your booking may be including Princess Vacation Protection (PVP) which costs 8% of base fare.  So, I think I have the full picture.  Tagging @smplybcause as OP who was also interested in this situation.

So, your voyage should be quoting you from among the following Fare Codes:

N3B - Standard

N3A - Plus

N3R - Premier

If I price this cruise for TWO people, the rates (for IB) are: $1,106, $1,946, and $2,226.  This means Plus costs $60/day extra and Premier $80/day extra - as expected.

If I price this cruise for ONE person, the rates (for IB) are: $1,281, $2,121, and $2,401.  This means once again that Plus costs $60/day extra and Premier $80/day extra - again as expected.

Princess is only applying a $175 up-charge for solo cabin occupancy.  As I I have read from time-to-time on here, Princess has not been doubling the fare for solo occupancy in many cases.  They used to have deals like this a long time back, but then got into just doubling the cost for solo travelers leading up to Covid pause.  Note that Princess does not double you up on the Plus and Premier package cost - just the cabin fare. 

I would say that you most likely have PVP baked into your fare quote.  If you take 8% of the $175 solo upcharge, that comes to $14 which is the pricing difference the two of you have been inquiring about. 

Recommendation:  When CC members are posing questions about cruise fares, please keep it to the base fare + taxes and do not include transfers and PVP insurance.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess Vacation Protection (PVP) which costs 8% of base fare

That's an unbelievable amount ! Surely it must be cheaper to buy a stand alone insurance policy ?

Sorry for the thread drift. 

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

That's an unbelievable amount ! Surely it must be cheaper to buy a stand alone insurance policy ?

Sorry for the thread drift. 

IDK - we are free to purchase our own insurance in the market - or not.  I have seen posts historically where members mention getting better insurance deals, but Princess has the CFAR which a lot of folks like to have in back pocket.

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

IDK - we are free to purchase our own insurance in the market - or not.  I have seen posts historically where members mention getting better insurance deals, but Princess has the CFAR which a lot of folks like to have in back pocket.

Yup, I can see the attraction of CFAR, but you certainly pay for it! 

1 hour ago, Sea Hag said:

This is an off-the-top-of-my-head, half-baked suggestion with no math done to back it up. Are you booking Princess Vacation Protection on this sailing? The price of that is based on the total amount of the cruise. So, if you add something that increases or decreases the total cost, then the vacation protection goes up or down. 

Nope, this is pricing shown before you even get to selecting rooms, adding Princess Vacation protection, etc as I noted in my first post.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, what you provided makes a world of difference as I can look at specifics and provide more details.  And tip-of-the-hat to @Sea Hag who has suggested your booking may be including Princess Vacation Protection (PVP) which costs 8% of base fare.  So, I think I have the full picture.  Tagging @smplybcause as OP who was also interested in this situation.

So, your voyage should be quoting you from among the following Fare Codes:

N3B - Standard

N3A - Plus

N3R - Premier

If I price this cruise for TWO people, the rates (for IB) are: $1,106, $1,946, and $2,226.  This means Plus costs $60/day extra and Premier $80/day extra - as expected.

If I price this cruise for ONE person, the rates (for IB) are: $1,281, $2,121, and $2,401.  This means once again that Plus costs $60/day extra and Premier $80/day extra - again as expected.

Princess is only applying a $175 up-charge for solo cabin occupancy.  As I I have read from time-to-time on here, Princess has not been doubling the fare for solo occupancy in many cases.  They used to have deals like this a long time back, but then got into just doubling the cost for solo travelers leading up to Covid pause.  Note that Princess does not double you up on the Plus and Premier package cost - just the cabin fare. 

I would say that you most likely have PVP baked into your fare quote.  If you take 8% of the $175 solo upcharge, that comes to $14 which is the pricing difference the two of you have been inquiring about. 

Recommendation:  When CC members are posing questions about cruise fares, please keep it to the base fare + taxes and do not include transfers and PVP insurance.

My pricing above is the base fares - before you even get to room selection, let alone adding in the PVP. 

When I go all the way through the booking, to the part where you have the option to add PVP, it's an additional amount+ thus bringing the total cost up. 

It's an additional amount, added to the original price - not baked into the original price 

So, the $1058 then becomes $1142.64

So - why the discrepancy in the Plus and Premier original price, before you even get to room selection, transfers, adding PVP?

You're explanation was my first thought too - until I went back and verified that no, insurance wasn't added or included in the shown pricing for packages before even room selection, which I actually did note in my first post..

Attached, screenshots of the steps.

First is the list of the three tiers of pricing, then showing standard with no insurance, etc. The screen before you get to selecting the actual room type and room/Princess Chooses...

Then pricing sans any insurance or other extras.. 

Then showing insurance selection page

Then Total with insurance added in.

Hence - the question - why are the three original tiered fares respectively more than the $60/80?

PXL_20230313_180459822.MP.jpg

PXL_20230313_180530279.MP.jpg

PXL_20230313_180648843.MP.jpg

PXL_20230313_180704131.MP.jpg

Edited by reedprincess

42 minutes ago, Coral said:

You will be able to purchase Plus or Premium once onboard and it should not affect insurance costs. At least that is what I have heard.

Which I'm aware of, and also noted 8n my posts that it's what I'll do, as it makes the most sense, doesn't affect PVP pricing (not that I use Princess insurance), and OBC can be used. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

My pricing above is the base fares - before you even get to room selection, let alone adding in the PVP. 

When I go all the way through the booking, to the part where you have the option to add PVP, it's an additional amount+ thus bringing the total cost up. 

It's an additional amount, added to the original price - not baked into the original price 

So, the $1058 then becomes $1142.64

So - why the discrepancy in the Plus and Premier original price, before you even get to room selection, transfers, adding PVP?

You're explanation was my first thought too - until I went back and verified that no, insurance wasn't added or included in the shown pricing for packages before even room selection, which I actually did note in my first post..

Attached, screenshots of the steps.

First is the list of the three tiers of pricing, then showing standard with no insurance, etc. The screen before you get to selecting the actual room type and room/Princess Chooses...

Then pricing sans any insurance or other extras.. 

Then showing insurance selection page

Then Total with insurance added in.

Hence - the question - why are the three original tiered fares respectively more than the $60/80?

PXL_20230313_180459822.MP.jpg

PXL_20230313_180530279.MP.jpg

I cannot explain your displayed cruise fares.  They are not what I see when using Princess.com, nor when using an outside 3rd-party booking engine that shows me all eligible fares.

I am thinking you may be getting a regional or targeted rate for what you are shopping for.  I have such a thing being in Canada as Princess is offering many cruises at par to USD.  Of course, I looked at the cruise fares for US market to compare, but I wouldn't see if there was something else particular for your State, or whether you have a targeted offer.

There are two ways for this to resolve.  If you are familiar with using 3rd party booking engines (websites) that have to login with Princess info (Name, BD, CC Member Nbr), then they typically will show you all eligible fares and also may show you the Princess Fare Code associated with the dollar cost.  You need to know what Fare Code is being used.  You saw the three I posted above.

The other way is ask Princess rep or your TA which Fare Code is in play.

It looks like some sort of "special" offer and not something I can see in available offers.  Perhaps something to do with location St Lucia?

The numbers in your photo are close, but not matching what I see. 

For the 7-night voyage, I have the following numbers:

FARE TYPE                                   2 IN CABIN                      1 IN CABIN

STD                                                $1,046                              $617

PLUS                                              $1,466                              $1,037

PREMIER                                       $1,606                              $1,177

Add on the port taxes of about $191.

Sorry I can't get you full info, but someone at Princess should be able to respond.

18 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I'm talking about the package. For a solo it's Standard - $504; Plus - $1023. Which is a $519 difference which for the 7 day cruise works out to $74/day. Not $60. 

Just picked a random sailing that happened to come in a search. Not logged in. This is before they add in taxes or insurance. It's still 74/94 a day for the packages not the 60/80 advertised.  This was a solo booking. 

image.thumb.png.4fa5194f2ffd0e1a03b7a3911c74b9ab.png

Same cruise, but 2 people is "better" but it's still 67/87 a day per person

image.thumb.png.37ec52bcff5e4dc65edf9134f1d260b7.png

The pricing per day for solo 74/94 has been the same across several different sailing I've checked. Every one has that pricing. Which is why I was asking for clarification. I know Celebrity's all inclusive pricing doesn't work for solos, so was wondering if it's the same here. Though at least Princes lets you buy it on board for the advertised price. Glad to hear it's $60 all in on board. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I cannot explain your displayed cruise fares.  They are not what I see when using Princess.com, nor when using an outside 3rd-party booking engine that shows me all eligible fares.

I am thinking you may be getting a regional or targeted rate for what you are shopping for.  I have such a thing being in Canada as Princess is offering many cruises at par to USD.  Of course, I looked at the cruise fares for US market to compare, but I wouldn't see if there was something else particular for your State, or whether you have a targeted offer.

There are two ways for this to resolve.  If you are familiar with using 3rd party booking engines (websites) that have to login with Princess info (Name, BD, CC Member Nbr), then they typically will show you all eligible fares and also may show you the Princess Fare Code associated with the dollar cost.  You need to know what Fare Code is being used.  You saw the three I posted above.

The other way is ask Princess rep or your TA which Fare Code is in play.

It looks like some sort of "special" offer and not something I can see in available offers.  Perhaps something to do with location St Lucia?

The numbers in your photo are close, but not matching what I see. 

For the 7-night voyage, I have the following numbers:

FARE TYPE                                   2 IN CABIN                      1 IN CABIN

STD                                                $1,046                              $617

PLUS                                              $1,466                              $1,037

PREMIER                                       $1,606                              $1,177

Add on the port taxes of about $191.

Sorry I can't get you full info, but someone at Princess should be able to respond.

St Lucia doesn't have regional pricing, or pricing at all. We can't book via Princess com - have to book through an authorized ta, which is based on US, go figure. They don't even have Caribbean based agents. 

This pricing is straight from Princess website as I am currently physically in the US, looking at the US site. 

And as you can see from other posters, they're getting the same thing 

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

Just picked a random sailing that happened to come in a search. Not logged in. This is before they add in taxes or insurance. It's still 74/94 a day for the packages not the 60/80 advertised.  This was a solo booking. 

The pricing per day for solo 74/94 has been the same across several different sailing I've checked. Every one has that pricing. Which is why I was asking for clarification. I know Celebrity's all inclusive pricing doesn't work for solos, so was wondering if it's the same here. Though at least Princes lets you buy it on board for the advertised price. Glad to hear it's $60 all in on board. 

FWIW - it's holding steady on any random cruise I look at also, whether logged in or not 

For solo, it's an additional $14+ for Plus or Premier. For double occupancy, it's coming in $7 extra pp per night, so fractionally less for double occupancy over solo occupancy. 

Very strange glitch, and it doesn't matter what cruise or cabin type.

And yes, have cleared cookies, different browsers, etc. 

So, conclusion I've reached, for my probable saiki, is what I noted in my first post. I'll be buying Standard fare, and either adding plus separately or buying onboard and thus using some OBC towards it ..

Whatever the issue is - people definitely need to pay close attention to pricing and not just blindly assume the pricing is the advertised $60/80...

Due diligence is always important. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smplybcause said:

I am curious also. 

3 hours ago, smplybcause said:

I'm talking about the package. For a solo it's Standard - $504; Plus - $1023. Which is a $519 difference which for the 7 day cruise works out to $74/day. Not $60. 

I think that the packages are $60 and $80 and there is a single cruiser charge being added, The terms and conditions state that the first two passengers have to both have the same package so they are striving for $120-$160 per day per cabin. As a solo cruiser they get $60-$80 so it appears that they are trying to recoup some “lost” revenue. It would be nice if they published this fact. 

• Like 1