Your business class flight could be downgraded

Banti

There  is a simple solutions to this problem of getting your money back.  File a DOT complaint naming the US airline and RSSC.  The this will require them to call you and explain why there is no refund coming. 

As to how downgrades happen -- it is always based on fare basis and status.  First are the upgrades, then award tickets, then bulk fares like Regent...

Edited by PaulMCO

On 3/18/2023 at 3:17 PM, Pcardad said:

A very viable option. The only downside is that if you book through Regent then they will work on your behalf to get you to the ship in the event of the delay. They are under no obligation to do so if you book on your own.

While Regent does at time work on your behalf to get you to the ship on time, they are under absolutely NO OBLIGATION to do this.  The T's and C's specifically state that Regent is NOT responsible for third parties which include the airlines.  True they under no obligation if you book on your own and the same no obligation if booked thru Regent.  They often times do help but not obligated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

While Regent does at time work on your behalf to get you to the ship on time, they are under absolutely NO OBLIGATION to do this.  The T's and C's specifically state that Regent is NOT responsible for third parties which include the airlines.  True they under no obligation if you book on your own and the same no obligation if booked thru Regent.  They often times do help but not obligated.

I've not seen a case where the Regent Air desk was not helpful when needed....but I've only booked about 4,800 nights on Regent so my experience is limited.

• Haha 2

Pcardad:  

Ouch!

Two instances can be recalled which required Regent Air (along with our TA) intervention to unsnarl air segment issues.  Both complicated by last-minute--actually last-several weeks'--changes in originating and connecting flights to, and then within, Europe. Reason: Lufthansa and British Air kept either canceling a flight altogether; or making significant changes in departure times.  

Airlines' recovering from the Pandemic shutdown was a contributing factor, no-doubt.  

Bottom line was that things did work out to get us to Regent's assigned hotel(s) the day before boarding.  If I had had to do this heavy lifting on my own--the angst factor would have gone off the charts. 

GOARMY!

1 hour ago, GOARMY said:

Pcardad:  

Ouch!

Two instances can be recalled which required Regent Air (along with our TA) intervention to unsnarl air segment issues.  Both complicated by last-minute--actually last-several weeks'--changes in originating and connecting flights to, and then within, Europe. Reason: Lufthansa and British Air kept either canceling a flight altogether; or making significant changes in departure times.  

Airlines' recovering from the Pandemic shutdown was a contributing factor, no-doubt.  

Bottom line was that things did work out to get us to Regent's assigned hotel(s) the day before boarding.  If I had had to do this heavy lifting on my own--the angst factor would have gone off the charts. 

GOARMY!

Yes sir. I agree they have had to get involved a number of times but they have always done so efficiently and effectively. While it is frustrating to spend hours on hold for them, that doesn't detract from the excellent and professional service they render to Regent's clients. The Air Desk is one of my favorite departments that I interact with.

We booked our own flights for the BA to Rio cruise following yours.  Our return flight was 13 hours late.  My husband was moved to an economy flight the next day through Miami to LAX.  We went to airport with our transfer and had a great agent who put my husband back on the flight in business with me.  And as I would be able to get on a departing flight to LAX at 730 pm, when we weren’t scheduled to land at JFK until 8 pm, she got us on a JetBlue flight, in Mint class.  Food was 100% better than American’s and the lay flat seat was wider and better padded too.  My flight attendant on the Rio to JFK leg said that several crew that had to deadhead back to JFK were unhappy that they got kicked out of business class…

I sent an email to jteegan@rssc.com, but received a failed delivery response, incorrect address.  Perhaps she is no longer working for Regent?  I copied to guest relations, so at least they received it.

On 3/20/2023 at 3:39 AM, pappy1022 said:

I understand that Regent doesn’t have total control over its “subcontractors” such as the airlines, tour operators, transfers, hotels, etc. but they are all part of the price we pay to travel with Regent. I also understand that “stuff” happens and when serious “stuff” happens and the product we paid for is not anywhere  near what we received, then IMO Regent should compensate the customer. If it is a chronic issue that keeps coming up, e.g. poor excursions, then Regent needs to change providers and constantly improve the products they make us pay for as part of the contract. We expect a 5 star experience with everything we pay for because we are paying a lot to cruise with Regent.

I totally agree.  Subcontracting something out does not relieve a company of responsibility for the subcontractor's performance.  

For example... when you hire a general contractor to remodel your home, much of the actual work is done by subcontractors.  Now if the flooring contractor installs a lower quality product from the one you contracted for (maybe your choice was out-of-stock) - you're going to hold the general contractor responsible - and rightly so.

In this case it seems Regent is saying "hey it's not our fault the flooring guy didn't deliver what we promised you".  And to make it worse, Regent is also saying "even though the flooring guy installed a cheaper product and returned some money to us, we're going to keep it and not pass it along to you as compensation".

I really don't see how anyone can defend Regent's handling of this situation.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, mnocket said:
On 3/20/2023 at 4:39 AM, pappy1022 said:

I understand that Regent doesn’t have total control over its “subcontractors” such as the airlines, tour operators, transfers, hotels, etc. but they are all part of the price we pay to travel with Regent. I also understand that “stuff” happens and when serious “stuff” happens and the product we paid for is not anywhere  near what we received, then IMO Regent should compensate the customer. If it is a chronic issue that keeps coming up, e.g. poor excursions, then Regent needs to change providers and constantly improve the products they make us pay for as part of the contract. We expect a 5 star experience with everything we pay for because we are paying a lot to cruise with Regent.

I totally agree.  Subcontracting something out does not relieve a company of responsibility for the subcontractor's performance.  

While this might be correct unless the Contract between Regent and the customer that was agreed to by the customer didn't state otherwise.   And in this case the agreed to Contract between Regent and the customer clearly states that Regent takes no responsibility for third party issues.  This does not mean that Regent cannot and does not at times take responsibility for third party issues however  by the agreed to terms of the cruise contract prevail and Regent is not responsible for the actions of third parties.

This is why it is extremely important to read the Contract before booking the cruise as the Contract is clear on these issues.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rallydave said:

While this might be correct unless the Contract between Regent and the customer that was agreed to by the customer didn't state otherwise.   And in this case the agreed to Contract between Regent and the customer clearly states that Regent takes no responsibility for third party issues.  This does not mean that Regent cannot and does not at times take responsibility for third party issues however  by the agreed to terms of the cruise contract prevail and Regent is not responsible for the actions of third parties.

This is why it is extremely important to read the Contract before booking the cruise as the Contract is clear on these issues.

Clearly I was wrong when I said "I really don't see how anyone can defend Regent's handling of this situation."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I have just received an email from Guest Relations, thanking me for my email and for “providing documentation in reference to your downgraded flights”.  I attached copies of the refund emails we received from American Airlines.  It appears now that we will be receiving the refunds, and they are being processed by their accounting department.  I’ll post here when we receive them. So it seems if you ask nicely and provide proof that the refunds were addressed to you, Regent will give them to you.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, flossie009 said:

.....en not .....an

hence your email issue

Jennifer is currently on the Explorer sailing around Japan, so emails to her may take slightly longer than usual for her response. I have found her to be very responsive. 

Hey, everyone!  We just received our refund today, $2000+ paid back to our credit card.  This was the amount American Airlines refunded to Regent from our downgraded flights. So Regent is now back in our good graces, and we will definitely consider booking another cruise with them.  Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions and comments.

• Like 9

On 3/15/2023 at 3:05 PM, forevertravel said:

We had the same issue last year. We were booked on United from Newark to London. That morning I received text from United flight had been changed and to check at airport. At airport we were told there had been an issue and instead of the larger plane they now had a 357 with only 12 first class seats/ No matter how we pleaded we were put on Economy Plus. The worst flight of my life. Seats do not recline and the dinner was disgusting. I had a roll and two glasses of wine for dinner. I saw the email that a refund had been sent to Regent. We didn't get anything from Regent. I guess it's happening more and more based on what's posted here. We have business class seats to Europe this summer for our cruise and pray this situation does not happen again. Unfortunately, we have to use Regent air because unless we have miles the cost for business is a lot more than what Regent gets.

But, you didn’t get business

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick comment…like most other issues, when given time, Regent seems to handle it in a very appropriate manner.  Seems more and more that people are coming on social media angry and frustrated without actually letting the problem run it’s course.  Then come back and say “gee, they did what we wanted (or more).”  I know it’s hard, but patience.  Let Regent work the problem and if it’s not resolved satisfactorily, THEN bring it up.  Or wait until it’s resolved then come on and let us all know what happened and how they resolved it. These early “complaints” get new people to Regent really worked up for no reason.

just my opinion.

• Like 5

I am hesitating to book a transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona for fear that our business class may be downgraded.  Business class seating is the only reason we would book Regent.  We have been slowly returning to ports other than the Caribbean.  Does anyone think there will be more "planes with more business seats" as time goes on?  

9 minutes ago, tampadee said:

Does anyone think there will be more "planes with more business seats" as time goes on?  

Actually believe there will be fewer planes with fewer business seats as the A380 and 747's are retired. Do not believe Boeing or Airbus will be building more large planes but, more mid size and narrow bodies so that they can be filled for various length flights.  After all now we have 737's and A 320's flying intercontinental flights when at one point years ago twin engine planes were not allowed to fly as far as they do today.

And as far as being downgraded, that is nothing new and in my belief doesn't happen often enough to be concerned about and thus stay home.

Edited by rallydave
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2023 at 4:16 PM, tampadee said:

I am hesitating to book a transatlantic from Miami to Barcelona for fear that our business class may be downgraded.  Business class seating is the only reason we would book Regent.  We have been slowly returning to ports other than the Caribbean.  Does anyone think there will be more "planes with more business seats" as time goes on?  

I am a retired airline pilot and my son is a current Fed Ex pilot.  I live in a community that has a number of pilots for a major airlines in it.  Firs the downgrading is not as frequent as people seem to be thinking.  It happens, but depending on airlines, it's usually done via a voluntary downgrade with lots of free "stuff" to do it. That being said, it can, of course, happen.  But probably not anywhere near the frequency that some on here expect. 

The airlines problems is that they have struggled to get back to pre-Covid levels.  Many retired early on very nice incentive packages and there simply isn't enough crew members available to fill then need.  It's not like you can hire a pilot and he'll be flying a 747 the next day.  Doesn't work that way.  Plus the demand came back faster and greater than expected.  So they are running trying to accommodate the demand. 

So, air prices are rising as demand over runs the availability. Regent will have more trouble finding contract seats and routing will be.... well let's just say not "good."  That's the only way they'll be able to get Business Class seats at lower rates.  Oh yeah.. the contract rates are climbing like crazy too.  So this is just how cruising will be for awhile.  Sometimes we'll just have to "roll with the punches" or, like some people, stay home.  For me, I won't be happy to be downgraded, and probably just "sealed my fate" with this post, but I've got 5 cruises scheduled, 3 include Business class, and plan to go on everyone. 

• Like 4