LIVE REPORT from Riviera - NEVER AGAIN!

brobin111

We had a similar experience on the Riviera almost nine and a half years ago which has kept us from booking with Oceania...until now.

A 7-night Med cruise that was supposed to start in Monte Carlo. We arrived in Monaco a few days before to find out they changed embarkation to Marseille. They did bus everyone to the new port, but they removed Marseille from being a stop later in the week. Then during the cruise, they removed two stops in Italy and replaced them with overnights in Naples which were never on the itinerary. The concierge was able to call our privately arranged tour operator and have us picked up in Naples.

They blamed each change on the weather, but I have always felt it was due to Oceania not having docking priority and having to tender their guests to ports which was a potential hazard in case the winds kicked up. So, we missed 3 ports on that voyage. We have never had an itinerary change on any of the other cruise line we have sailed.

We are giving Oceania another chance. Want to experience the new ship, have the Vista booked for the Carribean. 

13 hours ago, SSFrance69 said:

We were on the sailing right before yours. The cruise director mentioned (before they made that decision to change itinerary) that they were expecting 20+ foot seas on the crossing to Bermuda. That would not be fun. That said I understand your frustration. I doubt the attitude of the head office is what you were told. For what it's worth, the staff at the guest services desk was not helpful or knowledgable about much at all.

That does appear to be true. 

2DF8E48D-0AAE-4EB0-95CB-A799995F3BF0.jpeg

• Like 3

How's this. Nautica March 2011 Beijing to Hong Kong with 4 port stops in Japan. Earthquake and tsunami we where on board March 11. All Japan ports cancelled. Never been to Japan booked this cruise for that reason but that's life.Had a great time.Food and amenities fantastic on the ship. Did 4 other ports in the region. 

• Like 2

I'm sorry this happened to you.  However, you should be thankful that you were not in that storm.  We have been on sailings when things did not go as planned, and later on, during the sailing, a compensation announcement was made via a letter delivered to each stateroom.  I would not be surprised if this happened to you.    

34 minutes ago, Nashna said:

I'm sorry this happened to you.  However, you should be thankful that you were not in that storm.  We have been on sailings when things did not go as planned, and later on, during the sailing, a compensation announcement was made via a letter delivered to each stateroom.  I would not be surprised if this happened to you.    

I'll be the first to report back and sing their praises if that happens! 3 days left...  

19 minutes ago, brobin111 said:

I'll be the first to report back and sing their praises if that happens! 3 days left...  

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that O does the right thing.  If it's any consolation to you.  I flew to Bermuda and spent three days in March many years ago, and the weather was dismal.   Bermuda is worth the trip.  We went in mid-June a few years ago on a cruise, and the weather was delightful.  

So I am compelled to say that if you get the proper travel insurance*, you at least will be compensated for missing ports. Every time we've missed a port, we've been paid $100 each, per port.

*That is, NOT the cruise line's. 

That being said, the recent, heinous pattern of cutting port times, being announced well in advance, is not up for compensation. (And of course, O posted the announced changes the day AFTER final payment was due...)

43 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

So I am compelled to say that if you get the proper travel insurance*, you at least will be compensated for missing ports. Every time we've missed a port, we've been paid $100 each, per port.

That being said, the recent, heinous pattern of cutting port times, being announced well in advance, is not up for compensation. (And of course, O posted the announced changes the day AFTER final payment was due...)

You are saying ur insurance carrier will pay you for missed ports even if you are not out of pocket any money or physical mishaps?

26 minutes ago, Acrusa said:

You are saying ur insurance carrier will pay you for missed ports even if you are not out of pocket any money or physical mishaps?

TravelGuard plans do...

Cruise Diversion – the Insured’s cruise does not stop at a scheduled port of call due to Inclement Weather, a Act of Terrorism, a medical incident involving another passenger on the ship, or a Natural Disaster;

17 minutes ago, basor said:

TravelGuard plans do...

Cruise Diversion – the Insured’s cruise does not stop at a scheduled port of call due to Inclement Weather, a Act of Terrorism, a medical incident involving another passenger on the ship, or a Natural Disaster;

Learn something everyday. 

2 hours ago, Acrusa said:

Correct. Allianz Global. We've had it happen 5-6 times (twice on the same cruise).

4 hours ago, sofietucker said:

I would just recommend that everyone read the fine print closely on the missed port coverage - certain states of residence are not included. A friend was telling me about all of the money he and his family got back for missing a few ports, and I looked at the policy he used - not valid for residents of Florida. Oh, the cash I could have made on my last few cruises if I didn't live in Florida at the time!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2023 at 4:13 AM, bob brown said:

I hope this treatment is not the result of the heavy debt NCLH is in…

Frankly, that at least would be a plausible justification. Otherwise, doing absolutely nothing for guests means that they simply have a standing policy to screw the customer.

--Julian

• Like 2

If you had a good TA you might want them to advocate for you.  Ours recently did and got us $800 in FCC for some issues we had onboard Marina that head office refused compensation for while on board.  It is really shameful that the cruiseline only will react to a threat to cancel future cruises rather act with a customer service mentality initially.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

If you had a good TA you might want them to advocate for you.  Ours recently did and got us $800 in FCC for some issues we had onboard Marina that head office refused compensation for while on board.  It is really shameful that the cruiseline only will react to a threat to cancel future cruises rather act with a customer service mentality initially.

Our TA is on it and has worked his magic in the past.  You would think that they'd be more accommodating especially for pax who cruise frequently with a group booking multiple top tier suites but they are VERY short sighted!  They seem to think they're the only game in town when nothing could be further from the truth.

What really defines any business is how they handle things when something goes wrong. Making it right without a fight means more customer loyalty and profits down the line. Just ask Jeff Bezos!

I did get a call from guest relations today telling me that they have placed a $200 credit on our next booking - a whopping one tenth of 1% of what we paid to see the parking lot in JAX.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GregoryPaul said:

Let’s see:

1/10 of 1% = .001

.001 * X = $200

X = $200,000.00

I agree they should be much more accommodating but we gotta figure out how to get you on a cruise ship for less money!

Sorry, meant to say one percent.

• Like 1

BTW, sure hope you’ve been able to find a few things to enjoy. We got off the day you got on, we both liked the self guided art tour (get a player from Reception), thought the lead guitarist in the Seaside Band did a great Carlos Santana tribute and also enjoyed the wine dinners & tastings. And if you are lucky enough to have Aariff as your butler, he can make almost anything happen. Enjoy what’s left!

Cruiseline dilemma:

Cruise into area of high seas and have guests complain that they had a miserable experience.

Avoid area of high seas and have guests complain that they missed a port they wanted to visit.

And if the OP really really wanted to go to Bermuda, there are daily flights from several USA airports.

Plus, I hope he never books a cruise expecting the visit the Falklands, as missing that port is about a 50-50 proposition due to the usual weather conditions relating to tendering.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Plus, I hope he never books a cruise expecting the visit the Falklands, as missing that port is about a 50-50 proposition due to the usual weather conditions relating to tendering

Or….cruise on a ship like this one, that docks there….😉

929F95C5-4997-4AD9-BDBE-13B7E0AD1BCA.jpeg

6 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Cruiseline dilemma:

Cruise into area of high seas and have guests complain that they had a miserable experience.

Avoid area of high seas and have guests complain that they missed a port they wanted to visit.

And if the OP really really wanted to go to Bermuda, there are daily flights from several USA airports.

Plus, I hope he never books a cruise expecting the visit the Falklands, as missing that port is about a 50-50 proposition due to the usual weather conditions relating to tendering.

Exactly, more proof of my theory that people will always find a reason to complain, no matter what the outcome is. Some people are just determined to be mad, it's a no-win situation for the cruise line and if it were up to me, I'd probably pay them handsomely never to return.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bob brown said:

Or….cruise on a ship like this one, that docks there….😉

While I realize that Jaxport is not picturesque (far from it - we live in the area)  There are multiple things to do:  MOSH, MOCA, VanGogh Experience, Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens (my personal favorite).

Rental car to St. Augustine (btw they had a St. Patrick's parade) - Lightner Museum, Flagler College Museum and just the beautiful waterfront city. (Which someone from your ship did)

Also, I understand that Oceania also had a tour to Amelia Island.  

"When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade"  AND YES, we have cruised and missed ports - it happens.

When the ships started to sail again after the height of Covid, my wife and I went on a Crystal Cruise.  It was going to be what I call, a "Luxury Cruise Test Drive".  I am sharing this story because I think it is relevant to this topic for several reasons.  First, I was new to Crystal having only gone Main Stream Brands with an emphasis on the VIP areas; Second, because we miss lots of ports.

When you are new to a brand as I will be to Oceania in November 2023, you don't really know what to expect.  You hope, there will be a positive enhancement to your cruise vacation experience.  The Personalized Service was everything I ever thought it would be.  The Butler set a standard that I really don't think will ever be matched.  The food was so good, we talk about it all the time.  When the ports were cancelled, we were immediately given our excursion funds back and slight compensation for port charges.  We did NOT enjoy the cruise.

Crystal did everything they could to make up for the lost ports.  We were still very disappointed.  We knew it was not their fault, it was an act of god.  We were still disappointed.  We were happy we got our money back for lost excursion and a bit of compensation. We were still disappointed. 

Did this effect our willingness to cruise Crystal again, even though we knew it was not their fault.  The answer even thought it is unfair is, YES.  I know, Crystal went out of business and now has been purchased by another company.  Do I feel my emotions are fair knowing what I know about weather and cruising, NO.  Does it change the way I feel, NO.

As a newbie to Oceania, I look forward to my upcoming cruise on the Riviera in November.  I would be lying to say, streams like this one don't make me a little uneasy.  Not fair, different itinerary, different situation, but human emotions are not always logical.  

I am sorry to the author of this stream for their disappointment.  I know they get it was bad timing more than anything.  Yet, the disappointment is still their.  Like with my situation, it was the luck of the draw. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4

Sthrngary your posts are always well thought out. I enjoy reading them, maybe consider changing your online ID to “the voice of reason.”

I have been following this thread and really hope that OP does let us know how it all ends.

I am of 2 minds on this subject.

Yes, bad weather can happen anywhere at any time. Yes the ship, it’s passengers and crew’s safety needs to be the number one priority. Yes, our ticket says the cruise line can do pretty much whatever they want with us.

But for the poster who attacked the OP by saying; “Don’t you know any better than to schedule a cruise to Bermuda in March?” 

I answer that we’re all just invested amateurs here. I say, why didn’t the cruise line know better than to schedule a cruise to Bermuda in March? They should know most about potential sea conditions, ship capabilities, etc. I live in South Florida and know all about the vagaries of tropical weather. If sailing to Bermuda in March is such an extreme risk, then the cruise line should at the very least be planning for contingencies - and no, sailing in circles, then 2 days in Jacksonville shouldn’t be one of them. And if it is the best the cruise line can do (because of port schedules, port union rules, all the things they have to deal with) then yes they should offer some type of compensation more than $200 as a future cruise credit. Do they have to? No. But it’s the right thing to do. I hope they eventually do. Keep us posted!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When a cruise line cancels a port or multiple ports, informs the port several days prior but not the passengers, then claims the decision was weather based, they really need to accept that weather forecasts and sea conditions are in the public domain and not lie about them with impunity.

That's a real issue no matter how much the fans and influencers want to gaslight it.

• Like 4