Teenagers causing damage to ship this week

9 hours ago, Jkaczanowski said:

We’ve been on 7 or 8 cruises with RC since pandemic - prior to that we sailed Disney.   We never saw or heard of an incident onboard RC until this past January on Harmony.  There was a group of at least 50-60 teens celebrating a quince.  Seemed like there was a couple chaperones but no real supervision. Tons of cutting in line at the flowrider and one of the teens tried to steal my towel that was on the bench while I was in line - I confronted him and made him out it back.  Sports staff said it had been horrible.  

My 14 year old always leaves teen club at midnight when they close, gets a couple slices of pizza, and is back in the room by 12:45.  On the last night of this cruise, however, he and a couple friends were assaulted (pushed and shoved) after pizza and were afraid to separate to go back to their rooms alone.  They (all 4 of the boys) came to our room and I accompanied them to guest services to make a report and security walked the other boys to their rooms.   I’ve never seen anything like it.  

Then RC is just asking for trouble.  A parent with their own children is one thing, but allowing a large group of Teens with only "Camp Councilor" type of supervision is just crazy. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

When I moved from a Toyota to a Lexus it wasn't 'running away' It was Upgrading. 😁

You asked; "Why should anyone have to switch from a cruise line they have been sailing on for years?" When that cruise line no longer meets your needs/requirements, it's time to shove off and make a change. Of course, you can continue to spend your hard earned money with them and write lots of letters to management complaining about the situation, but why knock your head against a wall. Move on. Like fish, there are lots of and cruise lines in the sea! 🛳️

One pet peeve of mine is the unwillingness of people to try other cruise lines. 

Obviously, that is a personal choice.  But I get bored sailing on the same cruise line every time.  I started with Celebrity (very good) and have tried Princess (no), Disney (good for one time), Viking Ocean (wonderful), Oceania (even better but pricey), and Royal (reasonably priced and good unless overun by kids).  

Status does matter but it shouldn't prevent people from experimenting with other cruise lines.

But I get that it is very annoying to feel you have been run off because Royal won't kick off miscreants of any age.

47 minutes ago, dunrobbin said:

It is time for Royal Caribbean to have Adults Only Cruises. Do they have them? I know I would consider booking them!

There are charters on RCI ships that are either adults only or only over 12.  Our Star Trek Cruise was only over 12.  There weren’t more than 10 kids onboard over 12.

Atlantis Events have gay charter cruises on RCI ships.  Those are 18 yo minimum.  

Look into charter sailings. They are often adults only.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Royal Caribbean ships are designed for families. You are looking at the wrong cruise line if you expect adults only cruises. 

Surely a sensible company caters for everyone?  Shouldn't just be one segment of society.  With an ever-growing aging, fairly prosperous demographic I'm sure Royal Caribbean wants to cater for adults too.  They didn't use to just focus on families.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

One pet peeve of mine is the unwillingness of people to try other cruise lines.

I totally agree. 

Since 2017 when RCI started charging for room service, that was the straw that broke my back for my loyalty to RCI.  We still cruise RCI and are D+ as the benefits are nice, but only when itinerary and price are right, where as before it was RCI or bust.

Since 2017 we’ve been on Disney once, NCL once, X once, a Galapagos Expedition, Safari, couple road trips, city hopping in Europe, several all inclusive in Mexico, Disneyland and Disney World many times, several more RCI cruises and many other vacations.  There are many choices out there all with positives and negatives.

If you don’t like the product vote with

your dollar.  You may find something else you like even better or you may not, but blind loyalty is not gonna get you anywhere if you are unhappy with RCI.  One of the best things I did for myself and my family was breaking free of the RCI bubble.  It’s a big world out there.

RCI is not gonna listen to people whining on CC.  You have to vote with your dollar.  Thats the only thing that matters to them.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

there are lots of and cruise lines in the sea!

True Dawg, but the point is, it's not the cruise line, it's the mentality and manners of people these days, that crosses all boundaries, any cruise line.  You can't escape it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Obviously, that is a personal choice.

Yes.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.it is.  And I have tried many others.  Love Celebrity, others not so much.  I can afford RCCL and I do have a branding iron. 😉  

NOTICE:  that was meant as a joke.........🙄

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

True Dawg, but the point is, it's not the cruise line, it's the mentality and manners of people these days, that crosses all boundaries, any cruise line.  You can't escape it.

Try Oceania.  Their clientele is too old to misbehave too badly--they might break a hip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thinking the misbehaving kids should be brought to a holding area (there are conference rooms on board that could be utilized).  They remain there until a parent comes to get them.  Parents’ seapass card is charged a minimum number of hours for babysitting services.  Security could then stop by the cabin in say an hour to be sure the offender AND a parent are present, again charging the seapass card for the service.  Second offense, parents drinking privileges are suspended for the duration.  If the parents are made to feel the pain, the kids will shape up!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Surely a sensible company caters for everyone?  Shouldn't just be one segment of society.  With an ever-growing aging, fairly prosperous demographic I'm sure Royal Caribbean wants to cater for adults too.  They didn't use to just focus on families.

Royal Caribbean is a mass market cruise line. They have thousands of berths to fill on their super sized ships. Royal Caribbean has spent millions for water slides, flow riders etc. They do focus on families and have focused on families since I booked my first Royal cruise in 1996. They do cater to adults by having an adults only area . Adults only lines are a niche. It is being filled by Viking and Virgin. Even back then cruises during school holidays and the summer had issues when there were a lot of children onboard. What is reported is nothing new except it is magnified because the ships are larger so they have more kids. The crew in 1996 and now is not equipped to handle sailings with hordes of teens. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

But you can reduce your exposure to the little monsters by changing cruise lines to one that has less of them. 

Hey, if I was the Almighty, I'd have the little **it disturbers and their parents walk the plank if they acted up on a Cruise. But fortunately for them (and the other 8 billion souls on this planet 😉) I'm not. 

I do like your branding iron idea too! 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

But I get that it is very annoying to feel you have been run off because Royal won't kick off miscreants of any age.

I get that it can be annoying too but people have to realize Royal Corporate does not care one lick about us as people. We are $ signs to them, that is all. Only if enough us refuse to give Royal any more of our $ will will they ever deal affectively with the miscreants (much nicer word that I use for them). $$ is the only language Cruise lines understand. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BND said:

Personally, IMHO, the cruise line should limit the number of kids under 18 to what the programs can handle.  That makes the most sense for everyone

what about parents who cruise with kids who don't participate in these programs? Mine is 12 and he refuses to go to kid's club. If we use your logic, we will be unable to sail because the cruise will be "sold" out to anyone with kids within minutes of opening up, even if we don't use the kid's club.

Plus, 17 yo teens aren't supervised in the kid's club anyway. So, what program will be handling them?

So, in this case I say - if you want a cruise with no more than 100 kids, don't try to turn an RCI ship into them. Go try something else which already caters to your interests.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

There is really no need to limit KSF.  There is no need to limit kids to how many can be in the club.  

What needs to happen is enforcement if ANYONE (regardless of age) gets "out of line".  This can be anything from restriction to cabin (and offender pays for the crew person to "guard" them), to being put off at the next port.  Obviously, any damage needs to be paid for.

That's it.  If you let people get away with things, they'll continue to do it.

• Like 7

I don't hate kids and I don't feel run off either.  We prefer to cruise in September for the better hurricane discounts and because it's just after school has started.  Believe me when I say, the little nippers don't want to mess with me...at all. And I don't have to use the iron either.  They would be begging me to go away!  So no, I don't need to change lines.  RCCL fits my style, budget and destinations.  And I'm too invested.  This sort of crap goes on at land based locations too...just something we all have to deal with now...parents seem to be AWOL and nobody cares, so such is life.  I'm not letting that stop me, I will not be deterred! LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gifguy said:

Let's pump the brakes for a minute...

slow-down-pump-the-brakes.gif.cd14095b1681d7fb781e2812159b8499.gif

I will bet my left pinky ring (sorry got crossed up with the "Mafia style" longshoreman thread) - that vast majority of rule breaking and damage is done by....wait for it....ADULTS. Between fights, drunkenness, overt displays of public "affection" that would be close to a NC-17 rating, and smoking all sorts of things on board. And here, kids are being vilified. 

And while that may be true, on THIS sailing the damage being discussed was caused by teens.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

but what if Toyota was all you could afford?

I could afford a Lexus but they are just Toyotas with a fancy name and often built on the previous Toyota platform. It is more like a status upgrade. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gifguy said:

i-need-more-evidence-colin-jost.gif.78ab937516fe1938dd60045627c94018.gif

The only think that has been cited as proof is a photo of broken buttons in an elevator that past cruisers have stated that it was like that before. Your biased testimony in which you bring up another thread that is talking about it, but that thread and this thread were created by the same author if I'm not mistaken.

No, I started another thread that was merged with this one.  That person, myself, and others were on the sailing.  We owe you no evidence.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

First, I would just like to say, there definitely need to be consequences, both to the parents and the children involved.  As a parent of an 8 and 12 year old if they vandalized the ship I would expect to be charged and disciplined if my kids were behaving that poorly.

Second, to all the people in this thread who want the kids off the ship, because they don’t want to vacation with kids, I dont understand this.  In 12 years of having kids, we have been on three vacations without our kids tagging along.  One was to an Adults ONLY all inclusive in Mexico, one to Las Vegas, and one on a RCI Star Trek Charter sailing with only 12 and up allowed an even then there were only about 10 kids on board.  When we vacation without our kids we SPECIFICALLY book kid free vacation destinations.  It’s THAT SIMPLE.

Edited by rimmit

3 minutes ago, rimmit said:

First, I would just like to say, there definitely need to be consequences, both to the parents and the children involved.  As a parent of an 8 and 12 year old if they vandalized the ship I would expect to be charged and disciplined if my kids were behaving that poorly.

Second, to all the people in this thread who want the kids off the ship, because they don’t want to vacation with kids, I dont understand this.  In 12 years of having kids, we have been on three vacations without our kids tagging along.  One was to an Adults ONLY all inclusive in Mexico, one to Las Vegas, and one on a RCI Star Trek Charter sailing with only 12 and up allowed an even then there were only about 10 kids on board.  When we vacation without our kids we SPECIFICALLY book kid free vacation destinations.  It’s THAT SIMPLE.

We don't expect there to be no kids.  Kids are not the  problem.  Bad parenting and lack of control/respect is the problem.

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

Until a story gets run in the Miami newspaper, I doubt Royal pays any attention to it. 

Or some of those popular YouTube bloggers report it on their site. Don and Loco Loco. Maybe they already have. I have their channels blocked.