A First Fond Farewell for Odyssey

Flamin_June

I just disembarked the Quest having done 58 days of the Grand South America voyage. On only one occasion did I see a man wearing a t-shirt and flip-flops in the dining room and that was pretty early on.  Yes, many men didn't wear jackets most nights, but all that I saw were wearing collared shirts.  Perhaps I was in a different part of the dining room from Markham. Nor did I see baggy, drooping trousers.  I ate in either the dining room or TK on all but three nights.  While not Michelin starred, I thought the food was quite good and I was always able to find something I enjoyed.  The changes being made to the TK menu are especially welcome.  I had lunch on three or four days in the restaurant and never saw more than four tables occupied.  The menu on the days that I dined there was not the same as what was being offered in the Colonnade.  I thought the entertainment on this cruise was exceptional.  The cruise singers, dancers, and musicians were outstanding; in addition they were genuinely nice people with whom I enjoyed dining. There were a few service hiccups, particularly when new staff joined the ship, but in my case these were quickly corrected.  Almost without exception, every staff person I encountered tried very hard to accommodate whatever request was made of them and always with a smiling face.  Was the cruise absolutely perfect?  No, but it was most definitely very, very good in my opinion.  When I read the comments above, I wondered if I had been on a different ship because my experience was so very different. Just to add a little context, this was my 53rd cruise and I have a couple of hundred days sailed on Seabourn. My late husband and I always set sail with the expectation that we would have a good time and we always did. I have a couple more cruises booked on Seabourn and I look forward to having just as good a time as I had on this just ended one.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I guess I am just super observant.

Here is a point of reference: There was one gentleman who wore baggy shapeless pants (there is such a thing after all) every night he chose the MDR and he was the one whose teal painted toes throughout the cruise ie daily and all day peeped outta his sandals. (Not sure how he management Antarctica if his foot condition was medically inspired). Others in tees and the occasional backpack, too. I will leave it at that.

Anyway, we were on the same cruise inasmuch as I was very pleased with all the crew and the entertainment. My main gripes about the cruise rest with the itinerary ie 3 pointless ports in Ecuador and Chile, missing both Carnivals by mere days, and having only 8 hours in the most attractive city of South America, Buenos Aires. Then there was the business of no internet for 9 days, and mournful lunches in the Colonnade. And no lunchtime bbq cooking by the pool ever- as I note on Ody above and took place recently and repeatedly on the Soj WC. Maybe they have A teams with their CD and F&B mgr and Quest was left outta that rota.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Thank you for your perspective Sunviking. I am encouraged by the positives that you bring into the conversation. 

I have yet to experience a vacation - land or sea based - without hiccups. There just seems no way to avoid those unexpected occurrences. It’s a matter of whether they are a majority of time that makes a difference to us. 

I can certainly see Markham the specifics you were disappointed in on this cruise that you call out. 

Edited by Vineyard View

8 hours ago, Sunprince said:

Seriously?? So now it is now a serious offence to wear tshirt/shorts in the corridor at 6:10pm? On a warm weather cruise.  A mere 10 minutes past “ the deadline”.  I thought the dress code applied to being in the public rooms (observation, mdr, bars etc) and not the hallway. What if this poor guy was coming from the pool and going back to his suite to change for dinner.  Does that deserve a rude “ perplexed look”?  I’ve always said that 6pm is too early to invoke the dress code as some prefer not to rush to the dinner table.  

No, not seriously at all. I wasn’t being serious. There’s a style of writing that uses irony and satire, presenting an exaggerated and in fact self-deprecatory viewpoint through which the writer is in fact mocking the very attitudes he or she appears to espouse.It is a literary device that P.G.Wodehouse used to great effect. Clearly my attempt was inept. I think the gentleman in question was in fact coming from the Gym. 

I have to say that I found your post unnecessarily confrontational and quite upsetting; I have put you on ignore.

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

No, not seriously at all. I wasn’t being serious. There’s a style of writing that uses irony and satire, presenting an exaggerated and in fact self-deprecatory viewpoint through which the writer is in fact mocking the very attitudes he or she appears to espouse.It is a literary device that P.G.Wodehouse used to great effect. Clearly my attempt was inept. I think the gentleman in question was in fact coming from the Gym. 

I have to say that I found your post unnecessarily confrontational and quite upsetting; I have put you on ignore.

I apologize if my post upset you, that was not my intention.  I guess you will not read this since you ignored me…that’s ok.  The way in which the post was written, was not presented in a satirical manner, but more of factual and opinion based account and interspersed with other observations that on the surface did not appear to be satirical.  Some might put a smiley face or an “lol” after the satire to clarify the commentary.  Clearly I missed your intent.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sunprince said:

I apologize if my post upset you, that was not my intention.  I guess you will not read this since you ignored me…that’s ok.  The way in which the post was written, was not presented in a satirical manner, but more of factual and opinion based account and interspersed with other observations that on the surface did not appear to be satirical.  Some might put a smiley face or an “lol” after the satire to clarify the commentary.  Clearly I missed your intent.

Peace, brother.

We sailed out of Cairns at twilight after a long days refuelling and taking on of supplies. Chef Bert departed, to be replaced by Chef Erik, who will be with us for the duration. Dozens of new crew arrived throughout the day, after long and gruelling flights. Bevlyn, barkeep at the Club has been relocated to the Observation bar. Vita flew in to replace her.

This last week, sailing up the east coast of Australia, has been but a prelude to the main  attraction of this journey, heading out across the mighty Pacific. Three days at sea now crossing the Coral Sea to New Caledonia.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

Sailed with Bevlyn in October…she’s wonderful

enjoy,

Nancy

Yes, we love Bevlyn. We tend to not go to the Observation Bar, but will frequent it more now. 
We chose the set off from Sydney because it was a chance to get to know this part of  Australia a little better and to revisit a few places we had enjoyed four years ago, sailing to Sydney from Papua. 
Moreton Island.  - the third largest sand island in the world- we tendered to the Tangalooma Bay, a pleasant and relaxed kind of mass marketish beachside resort. Quite a few people went to snorkel the wrecks, but we took a glass bottomed boat trip, as A was worried about the sometimes strong currents there. The boat meandered around slowly, but in fact we saw more fish from the jetty. It was all very easy going and we learned a new Aussie expression ‘have a good arvo’ which means have a good afternoon. Unfortunately I misremembered and have been going around wishing folks a ‘good Avro’, which has a evoked a few puzzled looks.
Airlie Beach, on the other hand was one of those excursions from hell. Odyssey dropped anchor some distance from land, and with the moderate swell it meant that the tender took 30 - 40 minutes to reach the pier. The ship anchored at around 10.00am, so there was a long queue. We were told to wait somewhere else for half an hour. There were 85 people on the tender when we eventually set off. We had planned to go to the Saturday market, but finally got ashore at around 12.30 and the market closed at 13.00. There was a loooong walk from the pier to the markets and beach area in blazing sunshine and no shade, a somewhat discouraging beach with just a few dogs paddling in the water, and a loooooong walk back to the tender in more blazing sunshine, and then a looooong ride back in another crammed tender. It was such a pleasure to get back to the ship that it almost made the previous trials worthwhile. Townsville we just browsed around the great little stalls in the terminal building (there were free shuttle busses into town),:and in the afternoon A went to a Nature encounter and met some crocodiles and a bearded dragon. In Cairns it was in the mid 30s C. Too darn hot, but we went to the Art gallery, which has a really good souvenir shop, and happened to have an exhibition of Andy Warhol and Roy Lichtenstein prints, and then we bought a couple of small - very small - canvasses of Aboriginal art in another great, private, gallery. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RustyRollock said:

Beaches are likely to be quiet as it’s stinger (jellyfish) season so swimming - and snorkeling for that matter - can be risky. Basically, stay out of the water unless you’re wearing a full stinger suit. Google “irukandji” to find out why 😳

Thanks! 
Good to know.

some things we take away from our Australian week: all the Aussies we have met, both on land and on board have been informal and relaxed in manner, but polite, thoughtful, considerate, open and utterly friendly. Everybody seems ready to stop and chat, extend that chat into a conversation if things are going that way, and just give out a good vibe; everything is expensive.

Now we are surrounded by endless shades of blue and white, boobies racing alongside, the ship, or swooping down for fish in the turbulence of the wake. 

• Like 2

It is good to read your reports, FlaminJune.  You really give the impression now that you have settled into a lovely relaxing Seabourn routine, even to enjoying comparing a less than stellar shore visit with the peaceful luxury of the sea and sky, meals and drinks, on the ship.  Feeling just a teeny bit envious, and looking forward to more instalments.

• Like 6

Wednesday, 29th of March, 7.50 am.

I am sitting on our balcony, with just a tall skinny latte and a  couple of boobies, flying alongside, for company. The early morning sunlight splashes their feathers with patches of gold as they outrace the ship. We are on deck 5 (my favourite), low and close to the sea, so the boobies fly past at eye level. Here comes another one, now soaring up above Odyssey, it’s upper body, bathed in sunlight, a dazzling white, shaded underbelly pale grey. The sky, and it is a big sky, is that wonderful bright sky-blue, fading slowly to palest white at the far horizon where it meets a sudden and deep aquamarine sea. The sea, itself is calm and I am caressed by the soft and silky cool breeze. A small, yellow-beaked, black-tailed gull lands amid the lazy waves and dwindles to a tiny white speck as we sail past.

La Farge wrote about, was enchanted and entranced with, the quality of light out here, and it is indeed quite wonderful, matched only perhaps by the light in the Western Isles of Scotland.

I have taken to rising between 5.00 and 6.00 most mornings, stepping out to deck 8, where I entertain myself with 15 lengths of the empty pool and a 12 minute session of Canadian Air Force exercises. This is unprecedented behaviour, normally we rise too late for breakfast, make do with a coffee and yoghurt from the square and arrive at the dot of 12.00 for lunch. At first this new regime was the consequence of jet-lag, which clung on for days, and circumstance, as I chose to go to the gym to do the exercises, but found it already full  of people at 6.00 am, working out in expensive leotards; now it has become habit. The pool deck is usually empty, save for crew members putting out towels and setting tables, and a few early morning walkers doing the sky bar circuit. The water in the pool is cold, but invigorating at that hour of the morning. Today we are sailing into the sunrise, and the sun soon bathes the pool with light and warms the water.

Last night we were at Ad Hoc night again (Waldorf salad, ribeye, with blistered asparagus and mash). Perhaps it is a consequence of the new intake of crew, but the service was not quite as alacritous as of late, the steak luke warm. But the blue cheese dressing was marvellous and the Brie with honey and toast delightful and paired beautifully with a rather good 2020 Californian Cabernet house pour. Apparently, according to the Colonnade md, North Americans like their food Luke warm whereas South Africans, such as he, and us Brits, prefer it piping hot. It is not an issue (yet….), and actually, to sit outside at the Colonnade, in pleasantly humid warmth, a bright half moon illuminating the low clouds and reflecting off the ocean, while thousands of stars are strewn and scattered across the black night, and be served some delicious concoctions, all make make such minor inconsistencies fade to insignificance.

Edited by Flamin_June
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

Apparently, according to the Colonnade md, North Americans like their food Luke warm whereas South Africans, such as he, and us Brits, prefer it piping hot. Tot

Total rubbish!  There is no way they could accurately generalize about such a thing!  Luke warm food for North Americans?  I don't think so!

Thank you for all of your commentary.  I'm enjoying it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

I am sitting on our balcony, with just a tall skinny latte and a  couple of boobies, flying alongside, for company. The early morning sunlight splashes their feathers with patches of gold as they outrace the ship. We are on deck 5 (my favourite), low and close to the sea, so the boobies fly past at eye level. Here comes another one, now soaring up above Odyssey, it’s upper body, bathed in sunlight, a dazzling white, shaded underbelly pale grey. The sky, and it is a big sky, is that wonderful bright sky-blue, fading slowly to palest white at the far horizon where it meets a sudden and deep aquamarine sea. The sea, itself is calm and I am caressed by the soft and silky cool breeze. A small, yellow-beaked, black-tailed gull lands amid the lazy waves and dwindles to a tiny white speck as we sail past.

La Farge wrote about, was enchanted and entranced with, the quality of light out here, and it is indeed quite wonderful, matched only perhaps by the light in the Western Isles of Scotland.

I have taken to rising between 5.00 and 6.00 most mornings, stepping out to deck 8, where I entertain myself with 15 lengths of the empty pool and a 12 minute session of Canadian Air Force exercises. This is unprecedented behaviour, normally we rise too late for breakfast, make do with a coffee and yoghurt from the square and arrive at the dot of 12.00 for lunch. At first this new regime was the consequence of jet-lag, which clung on for days, and circumstance, as I chose to go to the gym to do the exercises, but found it already full  of people at 6.00 am, working out in expensive leotards; now it has become habit. The pool deck is usually empty, save for crew members putting out towels and setting tables, and a few early morning walkers doing the sky bar circuit. The water in the pool is cold, but invigorating at that hour of the morning. Today we are sailing into the sunrise, and the sun soon bathes the pool with light and warms the water.

Last night we were at Ad Hoc night again (Waldorf salad, ribeye, with blistered asparagus and mash). Perhaps it is a consequence of the new intake of crew, but the service was not quite as alacritous as of late, the steak luke warm. But the blue cheese dressing was marvellous and the Brie with honey and toast delightful and paired beautifully with a rather good 2020 Californian Cabernet house pour. Apparently, according to the Colonnade md, North Americans like their food Luke warm whereas South Africans, such as he, and us Brits, prefer it piping hot. It is not an issue (yet….), and actually, to sit outside at the Colonnade, in pleasantly humid warmth, a bright half moon illuminating the low clouds and reflecting off the ocean, while thousands of stars are strewn and scattered across the black night, and be served some delicious concoctions, all make make such minor inconsistencies fade to insignificance.

The Colonnade does have staff that are training and when they are trained they can progress to the MDR.

I like the look of some of the menus but after many attempts I now stay away from dinner in the Colonnade.

51 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

The Colonnade does have staff that are training and when they are trained they can progress to the MDR.

I like the look of some of the menus but after many attempts I now stay away from dinner in the Colonnade.

Until last summer we had never ate dinner in the Colonnade.  However, we went to all of the TK nights and they were wonderful.  The service and food were excellent, no doubt in part due to the Maitre'd (Corne) on Encore.  

13 hours ago, Flamin_June said:

I am sitting on our balcony, with just a tall skinny latte and a  couple of boobies,

I love your writing style and this bit gave me quite a chuckle, not to mention perfectly described vacation last year with my two idiot cousins.

If I ever write a book, this shall be my opening sentence.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thursday , 30th of March, 11.00am

We are still upon the Coral Sea, with no sight of land, another day and night before we find harbour in Noumea. there are more, heavier, clouds, spread across the vastness of the sky, and the air thick with moisture and sometimes drops of rain. The breeze is cooler as we head southwards and eastwards. Yesterday a great flock of boobies, some two dozen or more,  gathered above the bow, and flew there with the ship, swooping down to catch and feed on flying fish disturbed by our progress through their domain. It was a joy to see, but every joy has a price: last night  the panoramic windows of the observation bar were covered in….well…..guano, for want of a better word. Those who find the Observation Bar to be a tad elitist may be cheered by the potential symbolism, but I just feel sorry for the deck crew.

• Like 3

Further reports on food and dress.

Colonnade again last night, as we enjoyed sitting outside, and E&O’s menu did not appeal. No problems with service or food quality. We also ate there a few nights ago on Thai night. We know from previous experience it can be a bit of a gamble, particularly if one is familiar with authentic Thai cooking, but it was surprisingly good with a decent chilli hit from the Tom Yam soup and green curry. The venue was packed, but the service was absolutely on top of the game, with extra staff drafted in from downstairs, everyone working as a team to keep the plates and wine flowing, even Martin, our FB manager and other officers in their smart black uniforms, gold stripes glimmering in the candlelight, coming to lend a hand with waiting tables and serving dishes. 

There are some on first contracts; our sommelier, a tall blonde from Brazil, is already exceptional. 
A second deck party last night, with (sorry Markham) special drinks, tasty morsels, waiters offering cocktails, many officers joining in the dancing and general merriment. A hangover this morning, missed breakfast, and a trouncing at trivia, followed by caviar in the pool. We gave this a bye, as we prefer our caviar on a plate.

Many people continue to ‘dress up’ in the evening, not just in the MDR, but around and about. Not necessarily formal gowns and tuxes, but with flair and style, a bit of bling and generally a dash of elan. 

• Like 8

@Flamin_June 

I too am throughly enjoying your reports which are both reassuring as we anticipate our first SB voyage and well written as a general commentary.  Keep at it please!

• Like 2

Friday, 31st of March, 15.45.

We sailed into Noumea harbour at around 07.00 this morning, docking at 08.00. After three days at sea the long south westerly coast of Grande Terre, with its verdant, green-clad undulating hills looked like a gigantic dragon, beached and half-drowned on an unknown reef. Soon the illusion gave way to a distant view of the harbour, modern buildings, cranes, the tall pine trees, small yachts and sailing vessels dotted about the shimmering sheltered water. In the harbour lay Carnival Splenderosa, or Frootiloopa, or something like that, docked, only till 12 noon, at the cargo loading quay, while Odyssey took pride of place at the cruise terminal. One steps out of the small terminal, a tidy modern building with just a hint of French chic, straight onto one of the main streets, busy, very busy with traffic. The town is a typical port town, with supermarkets, some dubious looking ‘duty free’ shops, shopping malls and the like. Everyone speaks French and most pretend not to speak English. I spent rather longer than desired in the late morning heat, already hitting the 30s, looking for a post office where I could buy stamps and post cards. The locals when asked for directions, shrugged and waved vaguely in one direction or another. Mission was eventually accomplished ina small newsagents. In the supermarket I found two of the FB team choosing some hopefully decent French wines to supplement Odyssey’s stock, and in the course of trudging around found a lovely upmarket perfumery, where they use only locally produced essential oils and natural ingredients.Bought some sandalwood cologne. Back on board by 13.00 for a spot of lunch in the Colonnade, lovely fresh cool salads, lovely fresh cool air con, lovely fresh cool sparkling water, lovely views across the harbour (if you look in the right direction). It is hot, humid, sticky, busy town, but well kempt in that French way. absolutely no need to leave the ship, if you find yourself here, unless you want to buy wine, or stamps or cologne.

I am sitting by the sky bar, waiting for A to finish her yoga class and join me for sailaway. In the middle distance, beyond the confines of the town, the now dark hills and small mountains are are draped with thickening grey clouds. Out to sea the light is still bright, iridescent, the clouds lighter and whiter.

Last night was chef’s dinner, no formal dress code announced but most chose to dress smartly, lots of jackets and evening gowns, but a few in crumpled untucked shirts or dowdy dresses. Though few they rather stood out, like one or two flea-bites on a pale and otherwise elegant arm. The best bit of the menu was the strawberry sorbet and champagne. 

TKG again tonight. Did I mention the menu no longer features the strip loin, or sirloin, steak, nor the giant gulf shrimp cocktail? But tonight there is something new (to us at any rate): gazpacho soup. A makes a mean gazpacho at home. We shall see how well Keller stacks up.

• Like 5

Saturday 1st April, 16.30 pm.

Well, everyone appears to be putting on a brave face, as far as one can tell. The cruise so far, or this leg of it, has been going splendidly, and there is a sense that everyone is determined that we should keep calm and carry on. The crew, in every aspect, have been doing their level best to make us feel valued, important, pampered and at ease. The weather has been splendid, fellow passengers mostly convivial. The few things that have needed fixing have been fixed quickly. Yes there have been cost savings and supply issues: there is not quite the same extravagant largesse as in precovid days but the food has been mostly good and the treats keep coming. We all hope this outbreak will be nipped in the bud.

Lifou has been lovely. Glorious sunshine and a few soothing clouds. A short tender ride, a fabulous beach just minutes from the jetty. Long warm shallows of clear water and live corals within easy snorkelling distance, playing host to various fish of different stripe and hue, a small and modest visitor centre with a few stalls (we bought a sarong and a small shell bracelet), drinks, snacks, interesting places to walk to. 

I discussed the gazpacho earlier, but let me now turn to the TK Eggplant Parmesan. I have never had the slightest inclination to try this before, but as we were going Italian with the gazpacho, and as this very dish is one of MY signature dishes, perfected over many years, I thought I might investigate. Sadly I must report that I was not impressed. It was beautifully presented, with lashings of grated Parmesan, but bland, unadventurous, pedestrian. A microwaveable ready meal version from Aldi could probably give it a run for its money. Not a patch on mine. 
Back to the MDR tonight, where we will be going for the Quick Griddled Calamari  & Green Shell Mussels. Not a dish I recall seeing before. 

• Like 2