Confiscated Items

MayorDrafty

38 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

Melatonin in one thing and yes, keep in original packaging.

As for adult gummies, I'd keep them in my carry on if you want to take that shot and claim ignorance.

The dogs can be trained to pick them up.  

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:
2 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

Sure, they can be, but small amounts of weed is not what they're training dogs for anymore. Weed's legal in many areas, and yes it's illegal federally, but small amounts of processed weed isn't their target. It's not US Customs target problem. 

Meth, fentanyl, heroin and large amounts of cash is the primary target.

I also said "if you want to take that shot."

There is a risk

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Pick them up off the floor... if I had them in my pocket and saw dogs ahead... 

Disclaimer, anything I'm trying to smuggle won't be detected by dogs. This last time it was a corkscrew... two of them in fact (one as a backup) 🙂

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

Sure, they can be, but small amounts of weed is not what they're training dogs for anymore. Weed's legal in many areas, and yes it's illegal federally, but small amounts of processed weed isn't their target. It's not US Customs target problem. 

There is a risk

They were asking if their vitamins would be mistaken for adult gummies not asking about taking the adult gummies. I would just put the vitamins in my checked luggage they wouldn’t smell like weed so I wouldn’t be alarmed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

There is a risk

4 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

There is a risk

They definitely are there in the ports to find marijuana.  My friend was cruising out of Canaveral and two people were pulled out of line. One of whom she knew and he was not allowed to sail.  He had a vape with marijuana cartridges.  

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 4:10 PM, BlerkOne said:

Those are certainly two. Mobile confiscated all scissors and a power strip having an on-off switch even though they admitted it didn't have surge protection. I did get them to hold all items until after the cruise, and had backups for everything. I have head of other ports with random seizures.

geez. if cruise lines didn't make us do things on phone apps like they like to do, we wouldn't feel the need the bring power strips on vacation. 

On 3/25/2023 at 1:29 PM, Old Fart Cruisers said:

I always bring scissors and have never had a problem.  I always keep a small pair of scissors in a little sewing kit, and I usually also have a full-size pair of either standard ones or kitchen utility scissors in my suitcase.  I never try to hide them and have never been questioned about them on over 40 cruises.

In January, I took my 10th cruise. Never had a problem with scissors before. This time, they got confiscated in Miami. 

What makes people think they're entitled to medication, a beard, or anything like that on a vacation - especially a Carnival cruise. You are there to drink, gamble, and smoke yourself into a stupor. Don't ask for anything special, keep your head down, and tip generously (and be sure everyone around you knows how well you tip) and we'll all get along just fine.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

What makes people think they're entitled to medication, a beard, or anything like that on a vacation - especially a Carnival cruise. You are there to drink, gamble, and smoke yourself into a stupor. Don't ask for anything special, keep your head down, and tip generously (and be sure everyone around you knows how well you tip) and we'll all get along just fine.

Doubtful. There will always be the entitled.

Edited by BlerkOne

On 3/21/2023 at 10:46 AM, LHARTWICK said:

Exactly - another example is CCL says marijuana is prohibited, yet it's used all over their ships.  

Are you serious? It's legal here but I hate the stench. Just booked a Carnival cruise and we haven't been on this line since 2005. No reason just has not fit our needs. If it is everywhere not sure I want to bother it is a fill in trip going where we haven't been before.

Thanks

3 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Are you serious? It's legal here but I hate the stench. Just booked a Carnival cruise and we haven't been on this line since 2005. No reason just has not fit our needs. If it is everywhere not sure I want to bother it is a fill in trip going where we haven't been before.

Thanks

Sounds and scents often bring back memories. I don't mind the smell of cannabis (not that I wish to smell it), as contrasted to cigarettes which cause immediate negative thoughts.

Oh, and not to worry, I only catch a whiff of it every few cruises.

Tom

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Sounds and scents often bring back memories. I don't mind the smell of cannabis (not that I wish to smell it), as contrasted to cigarettes which cause immediate negative thoughts.

Oh, and not to worry, I only catch a whiff of it every few cruises.

Tom

Ok thanks, I would just driving home from work most days. High school got out just before I did 😂.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 7:10 PM, BlerkOne said:

Those are certainly two. Mobile confiscated all scissors and a power strip having an on-off switch even though they admitted it didn't have surge protection. I did get them to hold all items until after the cruise, and had backups for everything. I have head of other ports with random seizures.

In January they confiscated a pair of scissors and a power-strip that were in my checked luggage at PortMiami (it was a Royal cruise).   Like yours, the power-strip had an on-off switch but was not surge-protected.  

They were retained at the pier until after debark, but I didn't want to walk over to the arrivals-side to pick them up, so someone got a free pair of scissors and an old, tired-looking power-strip.  C'est la vie; that power strip had been in faithful service for 15+ years.  😢  

On 3/20/2023 at 9:49 PM, MayorDrafty said:

Yeah, I was hoping this was carry-on thing.  My non-surge power strip made it through checked bag screening no problem back in Feb.  Forgot to take my Sasquatch control tool (scissors).

But, see above.   My confiscated items were in my checked luggage.

On 3/25/2023 at 12:51 AM, GrannyJ said:

My sister had her nail clippers confiscated a few years ago.  So she had to buy another pair in the ship gift shop.  Same clippers.  What a great scheme to get you to have to buy stuff on board, huh?

Those sly dogs!     🙂

I had a pair of nail clippers attached to my key-ring for a decade.  Travelled internationally, domestically, visited Six Flags, etc.   Never ever got a second glance.  

On one fateful visit to Six Flags, however, they were confiscated at the gate.  I almost wanted to cry.  And sure enough, they are listed in Six Flags' official list of banned items, although I'm not sure what heinous crime I'd be committing with them:   "Okay, you, Ride Operator!   Take this roller-coaster to Cuba or I'll give you a manicure, so help me!"   😄   

Edited by Pellaz
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I always lock my checked luggage. It at least makes it on the ship and ship security check things.

So, if the shore-side X-ray machines detect an unauthorized item in your checked luggage....what then?   

31 minutes ago, Pellaz said:

So, if the shore-side X-ray machines detect an unauthorized item in your checked luggage....what then?   

If it is locked, it goes to the naughty room on the ship and you have to open for a ship security inspection to get it out of jail. At least that is how it has worked for me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

If it is locked, it goes to the naughty room on the ship and you have to open for a ship security inspection to get it out of jail. At least that is how it has worked for me. 

My approach as well... which always has me anxiously waiting for our luggage to arrive. If it's not to our cabin by sail away (it's supposed to be "priority", for whatever little that's worth), then I figure they think they've found something, and I'll be making "the trip". At least this way I can be there when it's being plundered. It's interesting to see all the stuff sitting on the tables - there's some ballsy people out there!

Tom

4 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

My approach as well... which always has me anxiously waiting for our luggage to arrive. If it's not to our cabin by sail away (it's supposed to be "priority", for whatever little that's worth), then I figure they think they've found something, and I'll be making "the trip". At least this way I can be there when it's being plundered. It's interesting to see all the stuff sitting on the tables - there's some ballsy people out there!

Tom

I've told this story once before... on our first cruise back post re-start I accidentally put our two completely legal wine bottles in a bag I handed to the porter.  Out of practice, I guess.  I guess they chalked it up to a re-start mistake.  The bag showed up at our room, no problem.  Still never been to the 'naughty room'. 

15 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I've told this story once before... on our first cruise back post re-start I accidentally put our two completely legal wine bottles in a bag I handed to the porter.  Out of practice, I guess.  I guess they chalked it up to a re-start mistake.  The bag showed up at our room, no problem.  Still never been to the 'naughty room'. 

I've had the pleasure probably a half dozen times. Statistically, it's unlikely - but I still anticipate it (even where there's NOTHING off-limits in my bags).

Tom

On 3/28/2023 at 7:10 PM, Pellaz said:

In January they confiscated a pair of scissors and a power-strip that were in my checked luggage at PortMiami (it was a Royal cruise).   Like yours, the power-strip had an on-off switch but was not surge-protected.  

They were retained at the pier until after debark, but I didn't want to walk over to the arrivals-side to pick them up, so someone got a free pair of scissors and an old, tired-looking power-strip.  C'est la vie; that power strip had been in faithful service for 15+ years.  😢  

But, see above.   My confiscated items were in my checked luggage.

Those sly dogs!     🙂

I had a pair of nail clippers attached to my key-ring for a decade.  Travelled internationally, domestically, visited Six Flags, etc.   Never ever got a second glance.  

On one fateful visit to Six Flags, however, they were confiscated at the gate.  I almost wanted to cry.  And sure enough, they are listed in Six Flags' official list of banned items, although I'm not sure what heinous crime I'd be committing with them:   "Okay, you, Ride Operator!   Take this roller-coaster to Cuba or I'll give you a manicure, so help me!"   😄   

I figured they were afraid she was going to threaten to clip the captain's nails too short unless he skipped the Nassau stop.......

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, GrannyJ said:

I figured they were afraid she was going to threaten to clip the captain's nails too short unless he skipped the Nassau stop.......

Heck, I might help.   😄

"Nassau:  it ain't much...but at least it's slightly better than Freeport!" (tm)   

Edited by Pellaz
punk-tuation

11 hours ago, GrannyJ said:

"Do exactly what I say, or everyone here is getting a manicure!" 

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 1:52 AM, BlerkOne said:

Nope.  Broke the lock, scrambled everything inside, and then delivered to my stateroom.  I’m guessing the item they suspected was an aluminum tumbler.