Is it Safe to Sail Out of Miami?

BirdTravels

• BirdTravels changed the title to Is it Safe to Sail out of Miami?

Are you staying in Miami Beach/South Beach?  That's where it's crazy--college spring break madness.  Same thing happened last year with all the drunken partying, fights, etc.  If you're staying by the airport or cruise port, you should be just fine.  

• Like 5

I live here.  To fly in and go to the cruise terminal, you have no need to visit South Beach.  I don't really visit South Beach during Spring Break and neither do my college aged kids.  Any other time than Spring Break, South Beach is generally fine and wouldn't hesitate to visit.  Do you have a hotel already?  

• Like 2

Miami Beach is the city next to Miami itself.  The party crowds gather there.  That's why the article calls it out, and not the City of Miami itself.  Are they close?  Yes, but worlds apart when it comes to nightlife.  In the area of the port, you don't get an actual 'beach' where people come to play in the water, drink, and cause mayhem. 

image.png.822f244e6a9cb4601694e36ececeb09f.png

Oh my gosh- so glad we’re only going in three or so weeks from now. I always had this in the back of my mind but this just proves it “Avoid spring break in the US at all cost”.

As a side, we have similar disaster times here in Australia (but they’re called “schoolies” down here), maybe with beer glasses thrown at each other rather than shooting guns but still- same thing, essentially and best avoided.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I sailed out of Miami a couple months ago, walked from my hotel to restaurants and to CVS every night by myself, felt totally safe. 

A couple of months ago it wasn't spring break....right ??

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

This weekend, however, is the Ultra Music Fest at Bayfront Park, March 24-26.  Road closures will be in place and about 150K+ attendees. Should be fun - I board Grandeur this Friday. 🙄

The traffic on Ultra weekend is an absolute nightmare, on top of the usual congested Miami traffic. 

This crap happens every year.  No matter how much the city tries to curb alcohol sales or emplace curfews, these cold blooded murders continue to happen.   Miami Beach can be a dangerous place for tourists.  The city used to be able to hide the robberies of tourists but then it got too much to hide.  During Spring Break, I would NEVER suggest anyone go to Miami Beach.  Not so much because of crime but because of the insane crowds.  Stay downtown.  
I used to live on Miami Beach.  It was a wonderful place to live and visit.  The city started to embrace spring break, urban beach weekend, Bad Boys films, etc.  It just was a magnet for an extreme party atmosphere.  Now it seems impossible to put the genie back in the bottle.  Miami Beach will soon burn itself out.  Gone are the locals, the local markets, and businesses.  Now everything caters to a different party goer who is only there to pay big bucks for hotels and club experiences. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Our boarding time is 1pm. The garage where we're parking is about 2 blocks from Bayfront Park. I plan to arrive at the garage around 11am, and the festival is supposed to start at 4pm. I'm praying traffic won't be too heavy 4-5 hours before it starts. 🙏

• Like 1

I always wonder when a post like this happens, where does the poster live, in a small farming community of 5000 or a large mega city.  Asking if a city is safe because of an incident does not make any city safe.  All cities because of the population levels have a different level of safety, and one must always be aware of their surroundings and protect their belongings and avoid areas with large gatherings of drinking people (like on a cruise ship LOL).  So follow safety practices, and pay attention.   For the record, I grew up in a big city, but live in a small farming community now.  I'm never concerned about cities, but I do become extra careful.

Edited by Joseph2017China
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Shootings. Curfews. We are flying in the day before our cruise, but it doesn’t sound safe. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/03/19/us/miami-beach-shootings-spring-break/index.html

I guess you have seen the Bella thread where a whole lot of us just sailed in and out of miami. 2 shootings on the beach. Stay downtown or by the airport. Simple. Stay off the beach during spring break.

I assumed you were a seasoned cruiser, but this post doesnt make sense to me. Surely you have gone out of miami before and would know there are other alternatives to Miami beach itself. 

Last year spring break they also imposed a curfew too. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

Our boarding time is 1pm. The garage where we're parking is about 2 blocks from Bayfront Park. I plan to arrive at the garage around 11am, and the festival is supposed to start at 4pm. I'm praying traffic won't be too heavy 4-5 hours before it starts. 🙏

Whole area could be like a giant tailgate party at 10am. I would be leaving earlier then that even if you have to camp out by the port.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Whole area could be like a giant tailgate party at 10am. I would be leaving earlier then that even if you have to camp out by the port.

This isn't helping my stress level. 😲

1 minute ago, ramja96 said:

This isn't helping my stress level. 😲

Only thing you have going for you is kids might not get up that early after a night of drinking before, but take note plenty will be there well before the 4pm start time of the concert.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

Only thing you have going for you is kids might not get up that early after a night of drinking before, but take note plenty will be there well before the 4pm start time of the concert.

I'm adjusting my arrival time at the garage to 10am and hoping for the best. 🤞

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

I trust you have reserved your spot for parking.  That would be a big concern that the lot would be full. 

If you have a reservation and it's long term parking, you should be ok.  I suggest you do plan on arriving  a little earlier.  These offsite parking lots  use shuttles and may only have a couple operating, plus with increased traffic it will take longer to do round trips.

1 minute ago, crewsweeper said:

I trust you have reserved your spot for parking.  That would be a big concern that the lot would be full. 

If you have a reservation and it's long term parking, you should be ok.  I suggest you do plan on arriving  a little earlier.  These offsite parking lots  use shuttles and may only have a couple operating, plus with increased traffic it will take longer to do round trips.

Yes - Made my reservation and prepaid over a month ago. Thanks

Edited by ramja96