Just receive obc refund- check is VOID

LouCoop

Just received my obc refund cheque today March 29, 2023. Cheque is date is Dec. 1, 2022. On cheque it is written void after 90 days. Has anyone run into this problem and what did you do? Who should I email about this?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LouCoop said:

I did too! But it is written on cheque. "Void after 90 days" 

Wow! I got one too yesterday and hadn't noticed this. Good to know. I've seen this before on checks, and I'll probably see it again.

9 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Wow! I got one too yesterday and hadn't noticed this. Good to know. I've seen this before on checks, and I'll probably see it again.

Is yours also outdated?

8 minutes ago, david63 said:

Don't tell me that people are still using cheques - not seen a cheque in over five years!

I thought everything was done electronically these days.

Princess does for OBC refunds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LouCoop said:

Just received my obc refund cheque today March 29, 2023. Cheque is date is Dec. 1, 2022. On cheque it is written void after 90 days. Has anyone run into this problem and what did you do? Who should I email about this?

When was it postmarked?  They are usually sent out within a couple of days after bring printed?

2 minutes ago, ldtr said:

When was it postmarked?  They are usually sent out within a couple of days after bring printed?

You are right. Checked the postmark and it was sent in December, so not Princess's fault. Probably got lost in the mail. I let it go will not bother Princess with this.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, Idtr made me notice the postmark date. Have to admit this is not Princess's fault as the cheque was mailed in December. As Daisyloo mentionned I am surprised that their cheques are void after 90 days as usually they are good for 6 months. But anyhow I will let this go just badluck on my side it is a mail problem.

And lest we forget...these refunds are not handled directly by Princess.  (I forget the name that has been bandied about...)  Let's play "I'm cynical"! (I'm really good at this game, BTW!)  That firm could very well have processed the refund, cut a check, stuffed it into an envelope and run it through their "in house" postage meter...which is very common for businesses of any size to have/use.  Then...they "conveniently" let these checks just sit on a shelf for x number of days.  Who knows what type of contractual agreement they have with Princess if a check just "mysteriously" is not cashed within the allotted time?  HHmmmmm....

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

And lest we forget...these refunds are not handled directly by Princess.  (I forget the name that has been bandied about...)  Let's play "I'm cynical"! (I'm really good at this game, BTW!)  That firm could very well have processed the refund, cut a check, stuffed it into an envelope and run it through their "in house" postage meter...which is very common for businesses of any size to have/use.  Then...they "conveniently" let these checks just sit on a shelf for x number of days.  Who knows what type of contractual agreement they have with Princess if a check just "mysteriously" is not cashed within the allotted time?  HHmmmmm....

Could be the answer, but really don't know. Don't think there is much I can do about it anyhow. The company is Bottomline Technologies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LouCoop said:

You are right. Checked the postmark and it was sent in December, so not Princess's fault. Probably got lost in the mail. I let it go will not bother Princess with this.

You can always call Princess, explain the situation and ask them to issue a new check.  Have you checked with your bank to confirm that they will not cash it?

59 minutes ago, voljeep said:

"Paid in Full"

Exactly!!  If it were only that easy!.  "But your honor.  I wrote right on my first monthly installment check that this was "Final Payment-Paid in Full."

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Shawn5 said:

Deposit it and see what happens. It will probably be honored.

I believe that my bank charges me a penalty for returned checks. 

I would go directly to the bank and see what they say. 

I know, I'm old, I actually have a Brick and Mortar bank.

I don't know what you younguns with a virtual bank can do. Speak to someone half way around the world I guess. 

Edited by 2 cruises a year
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Deposit it with one's phone.

I can't do that as the cheque is in US funds and I am Canadian. Will have to go in person. As @2 cruises a year has mentioned I might have to pay a penalty if the cheque is returned.

I wrote to customer service asking if they could re issue the cheque, waiting for answer.

• Like 2

I work in financial services.  Personal checks are good for 6 months from the date written on the check.  However you can mark a check with a more restrictive date if you so choose.  A competent teller will not accept a check that is older than 6 months, if it has no restrictive date mark; or older than void-by mark on the check.  It is likely that the check is no good.  Most businesses have automated systems which will automatically void out checks which have not been cashed by their void-by date.  On the date in which the check was void, Princess' automated accounting system would have voided the check, and moved the funds from the bank clearing account to whatever holding account they use.  If your bank actually accepts the check, it is likely that it will be returned by the paying bank as stale dated and your bank will take back the funds, and probably charge a fee.  Princess should have record of the funds not being cashed and should be able to reissue.

I presume that the check was mailed from a CCL or Princess operations center in the U.S. to Canada.  This would be regular first class mail, so in the U.S. a service commitment time of 5 business days, coast to coast.  When U.S. first class mail goes international then the delivery commitment time becomes something of a huge unknown.  Your situation demonstrates this well.  Why Canada Post sat on this, I don't have a clue.

I wouldn't email anyone at Princess.  I'd get on the phone with them and talk to a human.  You will likely have to be transferred around to find the right group that can see the voided item and take appropriate action to reissue.  You should ask if they have other channels in which they can issue you a refund,  PayPal, Venmo, Square Cash, Transferwise, but I doubt they have them.

Do you work with a travel agent.  If so, I'd address this issue to them.  TAs often have better luck getting things done with cruise lines than us mere mortals.

Edited by jeromep
Added details.
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, jeromep said:

I work in financial services.  Personal checks are good for 6 months from the date written on the check.  However you can mark a check with a more restrictive date if you so choose.  A competent teller will not accept a check that is older than 6 months, if it has no restrictive date mark; or older than void-by mark on the check.  It is likely that the check is no good.  Most businesses have automated systems which will automatically void out checks which have not been cashed by their void-by date.  On the date in which the check was void, Princess' automated accounting system would have voided the check, and moved the funds from the bank clearing account to whatever holding account they use.  If your bank actually accepts the check, it is likely that it will be returned by the paying bank as stale dated and your bank will take back the funds, and probably charge a fee.  Princess should have record of the funds not being cashed and should be able to reissue.

I presume that the check was mailed from a CCL or Princess operations center in the U.S. to Canada.  This would be regular first class mail, so in the U.S. a service commitment time of 5 business days, coast to coast.  When U.S. first class mail goes international then the delivery commitment time becomes something of a huge unknown.  Your situation demonstrates this well.  Why Canada Post sat on this, I don't have a clue.

I wouldn't email anyone at Princess.  I'd get on the phone with them and talk to a human.  You will likely have to be transferred around to find the right group that can see the voided item and take appropriate action to reissue.  You should ask if they have other channels in which they can issue you a refund,  PayPal, Venmo, Square Cash, Transferwise, but I doubt they have them.

Do you work with a travel agent.  If so, I'd address this issue to them.  TAs often have better luck getting things done with cruise lines than us mere mortals.

Thank you. This is exactly the same explanation I received from my bank a few hours ago here in Canada. 

• Like 3