How do people afford $20,000 suites?

Sigyn

OP is wondering about this from the point of view of someone who has worked for a living and is currently working.

There are folks who are monied, who do not work, but who have extended families who fit better in these accommodations on RCI than on Seabourn.

There are folks who are retired and have money to spend this way.

There are folks who have inherited money.

There are folks who want to splurge in order to entice the entire family to go on an unusual family gathering.

There are circumstances talked of in all the other threads here.

Years ago, my husband's family stayed in the then-prestigious Presidential Suite* on Freedom of the Seas 6414. He had talked his parents into taking the family on a 7-night cruise on the brandy-new Freedom of the Seas.  Parents spent a ton on money on this suite/trip for the family.  It had its perks.  The Captain and some officers spent some time in the afternoon with the family out on the aft deck.

Ultimately, though, only my husband thought that this cruise was a special family trip.  We made no converts to the joys of cruising.

Nowadays, I am without my husband or his parents, and I enjoy cruising alone in modest accommodations.  😊

• Like 5

OP is wondering about this from the point of view of someone who has worked for a living and is currently working.

There are folks who are monied, who do not work, but who have extended families who fit better in these accommodations on RCI than on Seabourn.

There are folks who want to splurge in order to entice the entire family to go on an unusual family gathering.

Years ago, my husband's family stayed in the then-prestigious Presidential Suite* on Freedom of the Seas 6414. He had talked his parents into taking the family on a 7-night cruise on the brandy-new Freedom of the Seas.  Parents spent a ton on money on this suite/trip for the family.  It had its perks.  The Captain and some officers spent some time in the afternoon with the family out on the aft deck.

Ultimately, though, only my husband thought that this cruise was a special family trip.  We made no converts to the joys of cruising.

Nowadays, I am without my husband or his parents, and I enjoy cruising alone in modest accommodations.  😊

• Like 1

• Like 1

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

There are 2 sites that I look at interline rates and I haven’t

seen any massive discounts lately. On one of the sites it will say “please call” when the cruise is a week or so out. Maybe that’s where the bigger discounts are. I have never called since we don’t book a week or so out.

Airline pilot here too. I haven’t seen any massive discounts lately if booking far in advanced, but I’ve seen some killer deals if you have the ability to cruise last minute. I have a buddy who flies the A350 and he just did the Symphony transatlantic for $299, balcony stateroom. He booked it like 2 weeks before sailing.  

I’m normally planning a year+ in advance so I can never take advantage of the best last minute deals. 

3 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

Just sayin , if you pay it off every month they should be making nothing off you in interest

They make some kind of fees, DH handles it.  And one is a yearly fee card.  We do have a RCCL card but never use it so don't guess it'll ever pay off.  We have a Delta card cuz they offered 20k pts...but yes, no interest.  Does it matter to you that I put it like that?

At least several recent college graduates (Masters)  I know had $200k+ starting offers. Now.. they don’t cruise, but I doubt their exotic vacations cost must less. Where I live many professionals make … way more. This is in addition to rich people. 

We are not rich… but we cruise 5 times a year in regular accommodations. Our main issue was not affordability, but vacation time till we figured out how to work occasionally on cruises, but now we just have enough PTO days.

I hope not many people cruise on credit cards.. unless they pay balance by the end of monthly cycle.

If you describe everything as is then you CAN afford it. It’s just not your priority. 

Edited by Tatka

On 3/30/2023 at 6:36 PM, njsmom said:

I guess there's that. We each put away 10% of our incomes into our 401K, in addition to other savings we accumulate. I save $1,500 a month just for travel. And add to that pile as needed. Sigh. $18K a year for vacations feels very extravagant. I need to just feel fortunate that I can do that. 

What do you mean ‘I save 1,500”.

Save from what? I pay to 401k… and we use some money for investments, but I don’t need to save for anything. I just pay for what I want/need.

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

Or look at it differently.  Behavioural changes can also come from within.  After 30 years of treating social media one way it doesn’t mean that you have to continue on the same path. 

Nice words, but that doesn't change the behavior or bring it to light.  

We cruise Star, on average, every other cruise.  We book well in advance and save a little every month in our savings account. So, we are earning interest, admittedly, very little interest, until it is time to pay off the cruise.  We pay off the cruise using my RCCL Visa, just to get the points.  Within a day or two, whenever the charge isn't pending anymore, I pay that off with the money I saved in the savings account (I also use my tax refund, if any).  So, I didn't get charged any interest on my "no fee" credit card. When the award points are calculated and applied to my Visa account, I then transfer them to the cruise that I just paid off as OBCs.  That's a lot of financial jujitsu that I didn't pay a penny for.  However, Royal paid the BOA a fee by %age for my charge though.  

Having said all that, I'm sure there are many others that do the same or have a similar strategy.  There is NO, one size fits all.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

We cruise Star, on average, every other cruise.  We book well in advance and save a little every month in our savings account. So, we are earning interest, admittedly, very little interest, until it is time to pay off the cruise.  We pay off the cruise using my RCCL Visa, just to get the points.  Within a day or two, whenever the charge isn't pending anymore, I pay that off with the money I saved in the savings account (I also use my tax refund, if any).  So, I didn't get charged any interest on my "no fee" credit card. When the award points are calculated and applied to my Visa account, I then transfer them to the cruise that I just paid off as OBCs.  That's a lot of financial jujitsu that I didn't pay a penny for.  However, Royal paid the BOA a fee by %age for my charge though.  

Having said all that, I'm sure there are many others that do the same or have a similar strategy.  There is NO, one size fits all.

+1

4 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

There are those here that are already into retirement, also made a good salary, also saved >10% in their 401Ks, may have lived frugally while the kids were growing up, are done paying for college, etc that now look at how much retirement they have, including SSA, and may say to themselves that they worked hard all their life and now want to splurge a bit and enjoy it. 

Youre on the right track to be one of those people one day and you’ll be splurging too 😁

... Or , maybe not... Years are not guaranteed in this life

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, poocher said:

Hardly

Ditto!  I swore I wasn’t going to get into this but here goes… from a philosophical standpoint….We are not wealthy but we are rich. Is there a difference?  Wealthy is lots of money where as rich is blessed with the means to live life to the fullest while being humble enough to recognize that there’s a difference. I’m happy to be rich and accept that I will probably never be wealthy! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, RFerrington said:

One of the most important perks of SC that I haven’t seen mentioned is unlimited laundry service.  They wash and press everything then return it to you on hangers.  It’s one of my very favorite SC amenities.  

Yes, I always forget about that, we use it almost daily.  It's worth its weight in gold.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

Just run for Congress and win or be a senior staffer….presto…..jackpot….

enter with little net worth, ten years later you own several prime locations houses valued at over 50 million, all on less than 200k per year….

What a country….

Yeah, but you'd be in Congress, a group for whom I have no respect.  

8 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Big Hair too!  LOL  I have a small Sun visor and no cattle...LOL

I googled it, and the internet says 64% of all Americans live paycheck-to-paycheck. 

Certainly some of these people (especially those who are young) probably are making all the right choices and are still forced into this uncomfortable situation ... but most of us have enough wiggle room in our budgets that we could make some cuts and still be comfortable.  

4 hours ago, Tapi said:

Airline pilot here too. I haven’t seen any massive discounts lately if booking far in advanced, but I’ve seen some killer deals if you have the ability to cruise last minute ...

Two benefits of booking far in advance:  1) if you're picky about your room, you're more likely to get that specific room.  2) if the prices go down, you can get a price match. 

But, yes, last minute deals are great.  Now that we're retired, we're watching for them.  

3 hours ago, LobsterStalker said:

... Or , maybe not... Years are not guaranteed in this life

Those of us who are granted the years don't necessarily get healthy years. 

Add to that, if you're married, you double the possibility that one of you will die young or experience a serious health problem. 

The right answer is "balance".  Don't live your young, healthy years as a miser, but don't set yourself up to be a broke senior citizen. 

1 hour ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Just for the record, everyone posting in this thread is rich. 

Absolutely true.  A person living in a first-world country in 2023 -- even if that person is on Welfare -- has more than probably 90% of all the people who've ever lived.  A middle class person today absolutely lives better than a king in the days of yore; I mean, we can buy ready-to-cook chicken at the grocery store, have central heating, and don't need to fear dysentery. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury

On 3/31/2023 at 9:30 AM, njsmom said:

I keep trying to figure this out. Who is it paying $15,000 and $20,000 for suites on cruise ships and going multiple times a year? Are they putting it on credit or are they paying cash? 

Since this is an anonymous board, I can say that my spouse and I are very successful without sounding like I am bragging. No one knows me here. 🙂 

We each make well over six figures and our income easily places us in the top 3-4% of all households in our state. I am a vice president at my company, and my husband is quite successful as well. And it's not just our annual income. We have over $2 million already saved for retirement and we're still many years away from that time in our lives.Yet, I can't fathom spending $20,000 on a suite.  It's not that we're against spending. We love fancy things. We live in a lovely home, we drive luxury cars and we have taken our three kids to Europe and we go regularly to Napa and drop $600 a night for a 4-5 night stay, and do $300 dinners. But again, $20,000 on a suite? That is another realm of spending. 

Who is it spending this much on a suite? If my husband and I can't afford to do it, who can? There's not that many people who make more than us, to be frank. I just don't get it. 

If you have that money you could spend $20k on a suite if you wanted to. Some people like it and can afford it, others save for that one special occasion, others could book every suite on the ship but prefer to book an inside or OV.

1 hour ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Just for the record, everyone posting in this thread is rich. 

10 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Look up the median income statistics in this country, or the number of people living paycheck to paycheck, or the number of people who don't have enough savings to deal with an unexpected $1k expense. I stand by my statement. 

You are assuming that those posting on this thread are telling the truth.  Some on this thread can't even keep their stories straight because they change so often.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

One possible explanation for some older folks traveling in $20K suites is the extra yearly use of retirement dollars from the RMDs (Required Minimum Distribution).  If you have to withdraw a sizeable amount of your retirement savings, spending it on a suite on a cruise ship is one way of using it.

I do check-in for cruises going to Alaska.  I remember pre Covid I would be checking in older passengers (mostly on HAL) who would be treating their adult children and grandkids to an Alaska cruise.  I remember one very unassuming grandmother telling me that she was treating her family to the cruise, which she told me was costing her $42K all in.  She was so happy, just loving the fact that she was treating her loved ones.  

In the last three years I was forced to take over $150,000 in RMD and not one penny went for cruising. Somebody else mentioned people using credit cards to pay and incurring interest to be paid. We haven’t paid one penny in any kind of interest since 1984 yet no money for cruising until they start again offering a product they we feel is worth the cost. Since we can’t spend it all, it’ll assure that our son and grand son will be able enjoy the rest of their time on earth. Might be the best thing we ever used our money for.

47 minutes ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Look up the median income statistics in this country, or the number of people living paycheck to paycheck, or the number of people who don't have enough savings to deal with an unexpected $1k expense. I stand by my statement. 

But you aren’t referring to any of that.  You referred to the people on this thread and you don’t know.  I am certainly not rich, merely very careful with my money.  I’m sure there are many more here in my tax bracket.

• Like 2