Sky Princess April 1st Cruise - random jottings.

wowzz

On 4/9/2023 at 2:15 AM, sunviking90 said:

I had a NY strip on the Royal Princess in January out of SFO and it was also gristle. Probably the worst steak I’ve ever been served. Pretty much inedible and that certainly was provisioned out of the US. 

Why didn't you send it back??? I certainly would.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, sujay said:

Probably be .because it picks it up automatically,they jyst check your pic to confirm it's you.

No,  because the bar staff did not have their scanners with them.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 2:23 PM, Mary loves to travel said:

Ah, so now we've heard:   Crooners, a pub-style restaurant, and a seafood restaurant.

🙂

From Princess FB page -

Our newest specialty restaurant concept, The Catch by Rudi, takes seafood to the next level. 🍽️🦞 From reimagined classic dishes to signature seafood inventions, Chef Rudi has created a menu that will appeal to every taste and appetite. Experience it aboard #EnchantedPrincess debuting April 15, and coming soon to #MajesticPrincess, #SkyPrincess, and #DiscoveryPrincess!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alcairns said:

From Princess FB page -

Our newest specialty restaurant concept, The Catch by Rudi, takes seafood to the next level. 🍽️🦞 From reimagined classic dishes to signature seafood inventions, Chef Rudi has created a menu that will appeal to every taste and appetite. Experience it aboard #EnchantedPrincess debuting April 15, and coming soon to #MajesticPrincess, #SkyPrincess, and #DiscoveryPrincess!

I'm happy 🙂

There have been three Captain's Cocktail Parties this cruise, two of which were last night. We have never bothered to go to one before, but decided we should at least see what it was all about.

So, five minutes prior to the supposed start time,  we joined a long queue outside the Vista Lounge. Everybody in full formal gear - no rule breaking here !

Eventually we got to the front of the queue and shook hands with the Captain!  Oh, the honour of it all !

Similar,  I guess, to meeting the Pope.

Eventually everyone got seated - the Vista Lounge was absolutely rammed. We got a "free"drink, although as everyone seemed to have the Plus package,  that was not much of a bonus. 

Then, some information about the various loyalty numbers on board, followed by the future cruise consultant trying to drive up interest in cruises from Boston, and Australia. Plus of course pushing Sea Princess - a few boos from the audience when her passenger capacity was announced. Not a single slide or any other sort of visual aid. 

Finally, the Captain drew the raffle, gave a bottle to the Most Travelled Guest (1116 days iirc) and that was it.

Really, what was the point to it all ? Thirty minutes of my life that I will never get back !

In other news, the ship appears to have run out of orange juice - hopefully supplies will be replenished tomorrow in Bilbao.

Dress code last night was, once again followed by 99% of the pax in the MDRs. The Brits, at least, are keeping standards up !

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 7

Dress code last night was, once again followed by 99% of the pax in the MDRs. The Brits, at least, are keeping standards up !

😆 well there are some slovenly colonist with their rebellious ideas. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, c-boy said:

I'm sure there are, but not on this cruise !

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, c-boy said:

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm sure there are, but not on this cruise !

Hey - I'm a 1%er on that cruise - whoo-hoo ... if I was on that cruise.🦄

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 2

While I am included in the ranks of the "revolutionary colonists", I wish that they still offered tux rental onboard.  I guess they *might* be offered on some of the other exclusive lines; by the time we started cruising fairly heavily (primarily Princess) this practice had been eliminated.  Sad...I would gladly pony up for a tux at least once on a cruise!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

While I am included in the ranks of the "revolutionary colonists", I wish that they still offered tux rental onboard.  I guess they *might* be offered on some of the other exclusive lines; by the time we started cruising fairly heavily (primarily Princess) this practice had been eliminated.  Sad...I would gladly pony up for a tux at least once on a cruise!

Interestingly, when in a queue last night, an American actually said he was sorry that he was not wearing a tuxedo, but he was on a long trip, and couldn't pack everything.

Personally, I thought he looked great - jacket, smart shirt, no shorts, and told him so.

The thing is, I think that if you make an effort, that is all that is required. If you wear the same clothes as you wore on the beach all day, then that shows a lack of respect.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 4/10/2023 at 7:54 AM, Bizzie07 said:

Have you heard anything about The Catch by Rudi which is replacing Bistro Sur La Mer.

From the Carnival Corp Press Release:

The new restaurant concept will be added aboard several other Princess ships including Majestic Princess (May 5) in time for its Alaska Season, Sky Princess (May 7) sailing from Southampton on Scandinavian and Baltic itineraries this summer and in the fall aboard Discovery Princess.

Below is a link to a thread on the topic:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

From the Carnival Corp Press Release:

The new restaurant concept will be added aboard several other Princess ships including Majestic Princess (May 5) in time for its Alaska Season, Sky Princess (May 7) sailing from Southampton on Scandinavian and Baltic itineraries this summer and in the fall aboard Discovery Princess.

Below is a link to a thread on the topic:

Thank you - this was mentioned some time ago, I believe.

• Like 2

wowzz - thankyou for taking the time to post - have really enjoyed following you.

Could you confirm that the kettle/tea/coffee making facility is still in all the staterooms - I did hear a rumour that this had been discontinued.

Many thanks.

5 hours ago, Louby-Lou said:

wowzz - thankyou for taking the time to post - have really enjoyed following you.

Could you confirm that the kettle/tea/coffee making facility is still in all the staterooms - I did hear a rumour that this had been discontinued.

Many thanks.

Yes, tea making facilities are up and running. 

The kettles are a little on the small side, but adequate as long as two of you don't want full mugs of tea !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Service last night in the Soleil MDR was the worst we have had this trip. Our poor waiter seemed to have been deserted. He had to take drink orders for our table of 8, and disappeared  I presume to the bar and  then reappeared to take the food orders from everyone, including dessert orders. Not sure why - but it made the ordering process long and slow.

We then waited and waited. Drinks appeared, we waited some more, starters appeared, and then nothing !

90 minutes after entering the MDR, no one had received their main course.

I don't mind a leisurely meal, but not this slow.

So, we decided to leave. Out of nowhere, the restaurant manager suddenly appeared, asking for a few more minutes. Our view was that we were not going to wait any longer, so we walked out, and went to the buffet instead. 

Disappointed - hopefully just a blip, but we are going to Alfredo's tonight to be on the safe side !

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Service last night in the Soleil MDR was the worst we have had this trip. Our poor waiter seemed to have been deserted. He had to take drink orders for our table of 8, and disappeared  I presume to the bar and  then reappeared to take the food orders from everyone, including dessert orders. Not sure why - but it made the ordering process long and slow.

We then waited and waited. Drinks appeared, we waited some more, starters appeared, and then nothing !

90 minutes after entering the MDR, no one had received their main course.

I don't mind a leisurely meal, but not this slow.

So, we decided to leave. Out of nowhere, the restaurant manager suddenly appeared, asking for a few more minutes. Our view was that we were not going to wait any longer, so we walked out, and went to the buffet instead. 

Disappointed - hopefully just a blip, but we are going to Alfredo's tonight to be on the safe side !

How terribly disappointing for you!  We would have done the same, I’m sure.  It seems that Princess is consistently short staffed on a few ships.  Next up for us is Regal out of Southampton and we’re getting a tad concerned.

6 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

How terribly disappointing for you!  We would have done the same, I’m sure.  It seems that Princess is consistently short staffed on a few ships.  Next up for us is Regal out of Southampton and we’re getting a tad concerned.

Actually just had an apologetic call from the restaurant manager to apologise. He is going to look after us specially tomorrow ! 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, wowzz said:

Interestingly, when in a queue last night, an American actually said he was sorry that he was not wearing a tuxedo, but he was on a long trip, and couldn't pack everything.

Personally, I thought he looked great - jacket, smart shirt, no shorts, and told him so.

The thing is, I think that if you make an effort, that is all that is required. If you wear the same clothes as you wore on the beach all day, then that shows a lack of respect.

From your lips to “other people’s ears”.  Respect is the word of the day.

• Like 2