Lost Luggage Issues

evandbob

1 minute ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Not sure how a porter receipt is remotely helpful.  On embarkation day, if your bag never shows up and you go to guest services to inquire, they're not debating you whether dropped it off with a porter or not nor is the terminal porter dragging your luggage to the door of your stateroom.  I believe what would be helpful are barcode stickers with the crew scanning the barcode each time it changes hands but as I stated above, extremely doubtful that's happening anytime soon.  A terminal porter receipt is pointless unless they're tracking it (such as barcodes and scanners) because it isn't like guest services is debating whether or not you dropped your bag off with a porter or not

I agree with you, NutsAboutGolf.  What you described is what I repeatedly watch airline maintenance do:  scan each bag as it is loaded onto the conveyer belt taking each piece of luggage into the plane's cargo area.  Don't think X is going in that direction any time soo.

Just now, SusieAV8R said:

I agree with you, NutsAboutGolf.  What you described is what I repeatedly watch airline maintenance do:  scan each bag as it is loaded onto the conveyer belt taking each piece of luggage into the plane's cargo area.  Don't think X is going in that direction any time soo.

soon

Just now, SusieAV8R said:

soon

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Does anyone know what, if anything, the Celebrity passenger contract says about lost luggage?  

My first X cruise in 2019, my bag never made it off the ship until the next sailing and they shipped it express to me for free.  Compensation wise I was offered UP TO $250 and there's a recent post pandemic report that they're still giving $250: 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I believe what would be helpful are barcode stickers with the crew scanning the barcode each time it changes hands but as I stated above, extremely doubtful that's happening anytime soon.  A terminal porter receipt is pointless unless they're tracking it (such as barcodes and scanners) because it isn't like guest services is debating whether or not you dropped your bag off with a porter or not

Minimally, I guess a receipt would be proof that the bag was turned over to the custody and control of the port and/or cruise.  Bar code is a great idea.   

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Minimally, I guess a receipt would be proof that the bag was turned over to the custody and control of the port and/or cruise.  Bar code is a great idea.   

I do not think it would take much to add a barcode or QR code to their luggage tags and have hand held scanners scan them as they are loaded/unloaded.  Lost of existing software exist to make it work but as others said, I do not see Royal Caribben implementing anything like this on any of their companies.  The loss damage department would make a very good case that lost baggage does not happen enough to justify the expense. 

• Like 3

I had something similar happen to us on our first NCL cruise.  They lost a bag and then later on found it.  I was without a bag for a day.  Now for the whole cruise would be a different story.

I do find what the cruise lines give you in such a situation is laughable.

Edited by NMTraveller

11 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Thanks I also have a Samsung galaxy phone. Do you need data on to track? Being from Canada I have it turned off when I reach port.

Technically I believe they will partially work without data as they use blue tooth.  To actually work they have to communicate with a server to identify location by "crowd" data.    

Basically the communication has to go from you to the Android Server to give you alerts also to find location they rely on others with Android sending back the location (anonymously) of the tile to a server and the server then sends back information to you on it's location

35 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I do not think it would take much to add a barcode or QR code to their luggage tags and have hand held scanners scan them as they are loaded/unloaded.  Lost of existing software exist to make it work but as others said, I do not see Royal Caribben implementing anything like this on any of their companies.  The loss damage department would make a very good case that lost baggage does not happen enough to justify the expense. 

How would you get the various unions to do it?  Am sure there are different unions all over the world with different work rules.  

One problem is cruiselines are not allowed to have anything to do with the bags until on the ship.  If one is worried about proof of a bag being accepted simply quietly take a picture or two.

We as said before always have a carryon with meds etc and two days of clothing on ships and planes.

Back to the OP - A disappearing bag is rare.

1 minute ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

How would you get the various unions to do it?  Am sure there are different unions all over the world with different work rules.  

One problem is cruiselines are not allowed to have anything to do with the bags until on the ship.  If one is worried about proof of a bag being accepted simply quietly take a picture or two.

We as said before always have a carryon with meds etc and two days of clothing on ships and planes.

Back to the OP - A disappearing bag is rare.

I was thinking more along the lines of the ship's crew scanning them as the carts with the bags are placed onboard.  That does not address the problem if something happens between the time you give it to the porter and the time the bag arrives aboard the ship but it does eliminate the question of whether the bag is onboard or not and limits the search area.   

Again though I think it is a problem that could and would be solved if it was really a large problem.  I just do not see / hear of that many instances of this happening compared to the number of passengers sailing on cruise ships. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Technically I believe they will partially work without data as they use blue tooth.  To actually work they have to communicate with a server to identify location by "crowd" data.    

Basically the communication has to go from you to the Android Server to give you alerts also to find location they rely on others with Android sending back the location (anonymously) of the tile to a server and the server then sends back information to you on it's location

I always wait to make sure my baggage has been loaded onto a cart at the pier. Once I saw it teetering on the edge of a cart but I still received it. I have a small carry on plus backpack enough for 3 days. 

All this makes me happy I almost always pack in carry-on. (Even a 10-day trip for a running cruise to Alaska with pre-night in Anchorage and post-night in Seattle I got into carry-on.) *I* control where my luggage is and don't have to worry about if I tipped someone at the port enough - or someone on board getting the wrong bag but just stashing it somewhere rather than telling their cabin steward it wasn't theirs.

A few observations:

We use Apple iTags.  On one occasion I was able to alert an airline that my luggage was nowhere near the plane.  Our flight was delayed and then a cart with lots of bags (including ours) showed up and were loaded.

One time we arrived early to the pier in New Orleans for a Transatlantic.  We dropped our bags and tipped the porter $5 at about 11:30 a.m.  Had lunch in the dining room.  The 4 p.m. sail kept getting pushed back.  At 5:30 p.m. we did the muster drill while still docked.  Looking down at the pier, we could spot our bags still on the cart on the dock.  They were finally delivered at about 11.  I asked the Captain about the delay in sailing, etc., at a Q&A, and she (yes, she) replied that a Transatlantic requires a lot more turnaround.  I asked if the folks at RCCL in Miami understood that when they scheduled the cruise.  She moved on to the next question.

If your bag does not show up, buy clothing (and keep the receipts) at the various ports (I've been to that Marshall's in San Juan) or on-board shops.  Do not let this problem interfere any more than necessary with your vacation.  I have my homeowner's insurance, travel insurance, and whatever the cruise line will do.  I don;t need the cruise line to "lose" my vacation as well because my bag went missing.

• Like 2

This thread is crazy to read.... I'm actually surprise cruise lines don't lose more bags, and that there are not more complaints like this thread. That being said, these ships turn around so much in the same ports, that I'm sure that most of the kinks are worked out.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:01 PM, xamsx said:

AirTags are great. We use them for our luggage and I have one inside my purse.

No need to porter a 21” Delsey (assuming you rebuy that size or they find the suitcase and get it home to you). That size will fit through the scanners, so you can walk it on and deliver it immediately to your room once you board (I have a 22” Delsey that went through the scanners in Port Everglades last month). 

The Costco special? 😄

Edited by Mike07

2 minutes ago, xamsx said:

Amazon :classic_wink:

Haha.... About a year ago, Costco had a check in and carry on baggage on sale, and I bought it as I needed new bags. My Delsey bags have been on 4 or 5 cruises... and about 6 or 7 business trips.... no issues.... have held up well.

1 minute ago, Mike07 said:

Haha.... About a year ago, Costco had a check in and carry on baggage on sale, and I bought it as I needed new bags. My Delsey bags have been on 4 or 5 cruises... and about 6 or 7 business trips.... no issues.... have held up well.

I would kill to have a Costco nearby. Unfortunately, the nearest one is hours away. Ironically, when we book travel most of the time it is through Costco travel (for the gift card kickbacks) and then we order stuff online.

I like my old Delsey a lot. The newer one (22”) is bigger, but ‘feels’ flimsier. They have both held up very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xamsx said:

I would kill to have a Costco nearby. Unfortunately, the nearest one is hours away. Ironically, when we book travel most of the time it is through Costco travel (for the gift card kickbacks) and then we order stuff online.

I like my old Delsey a lot. The newer one (22”) is bigger, but ‘feels’ flimsier. They have both held up very well.

Our nearest is about 90 minutes away. We leave the "rock" and go shopping at Costco, Total Wines, Aldi, and Walmart. We do it about twice a month. When you live in a rural area, you are used to it!