Is the infirmary equipped for afib?

The infirmaries on the ships are staffed by a dr. and nurse and are like very mini hospitals.  I have seen AEDs on the ships.  I have been to the infirmary and have seen cardiac monitors.  We have been on ships that have had cardiac emergencies, and they seem to be handled well.  If the infirmary cannot handle something they will off-load the patient, or even medi-evac them out by helicopter. (have seen this 2x on CCL cruises).  We often see ambulances waiting at the ports for patients to come off the ship.  My dd had a medical emergency on the CCL Dream a few years back, and she (and I) were "off-loaded" to a hospital in Belize.  The infirmary did a great job of taking care of her until then.  Make sure your Dr. is ok with your wife cruising, and make sure you have travel insurance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They can do a lot on board but obviously will only do what is necessary to get a patient to the nearest facility in a true emergency situation.  In an emergency the most important thing would be to get to the nearest hospital for care.  

I will venture to guess (hope) you have travel insurance with primary medical care (so the hospital is paid up front) and medical evacuation as you will not want to deal with insurance/money issues in the moment (possibly in a foreign country) should something happen.  Whether or not you have pre existing conditions covered is another story but you would still want the medical evacuation portion under these circumstances I would guess.  Good luck and hopefully all will go well and you will have a great cruise.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Should the Medical team determine a situation needs monitoring, they will off load the patient at the next port.  The family may feel comfortable with remaining onboard but the doctor has full authority in making that decision.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pe4all said:

The infirmaries on the ships are staffed by a dr. and nurse and are like very mini hospitals.  I have seen AEDs on the ships.  I have been to the infirmary and have seen cardiac monitors.  We have been on ships that have had cardiac emergencies, and they seem to be handled well.  If the infirmary cannot handle something they will off-load the patient, or even medi-evac them out by helicopter. (have seen this 2x on CCL cruises).  We often see ambulances waiting at the ports for patients to come off the ship.  My dd had a medical emergency on the CCL Dream a few years back, and she (and I) were "off-loaded" to a hospital in Belize.  The infirmary did a great job of taking care of her until then.  Make sure your Dr. is ok with your wife cruising, and make sure you have travel insurance.

Glad to hear that. Good point about asking the doctor and we do have insurance for our next 3 cruises. Hope your daughter is doing well.

• Like 2

On our Hawaii cruise last month a gentleman had a heart attack on Monday.  The ship was able to stabilize him until we reached Honolulu on Friday.  He was transferred to the hospital where they put a stint in and was able fly home the following Tuesday.  He reported on our FB group that is doing much better now and how the ship doctors did a great job treating him.  One thing we were told by a family member is that they had to pay the ship charges for medical bills when they debarked.  Charges were around $7,000.  They have insurance but you have to pay and submit to your insurance for reimbursement.

2 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Asking about iv meds. Oral meds dont seem to get her sinus rhythm back. The iv meds do the trick. First time had to be admitted. 

I would expect they would have metoprolol or diltiazem (primary drugs for a fib) on the ship but dont know for sure. I would make sure you had the names of the drug that worked for your wife. The risk is these drugs can lower heart rate and BP very low and require other drugs which can promote afib. Not sure if the ships Dr/medical center is equipped for that. Wishing you all the best.

• Like 1

My husband had a massive heart attack on the Mardi Gras in Nov.18.2022. They had him on life support until we reached Port Canaveral and transported him to Health First Cape Canaveral hospital.

He was on Life support another two days and passed away on Nov, 21. They have several Doctors and did an outstanding job.

So very sorry for your loss.  Looks from your sig like that was your first cruise together post shut-down.  Hopefully you both enjoyed your time together on that journey. Tomorrow is never guaranteed. God bless.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, peteandpris said:

My husband had a massive heart attack on the Mardi Gras in Nov.18.2022. They had him on life support until we reached Port Canaveral and transported him to Health First Cape Canaveral hospital.

He was on Life support another two days and passed away on Nov, 21. They have several Doctors and did an outstanding job.

Thank you for your reply and I am very sorry for your loss.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dallasdan said:

On our Hawaii cruise last month a gentleman had a heart attack on Monday.  The ship was able to stabilize him until we reached Honolulu on Friday.  He was transferred to the hospital where they put a stint in and was able fly home the following Tuesday.  He reported on our FB group that is doing much better now and how the ship doctors did a great job treating him.  One thing we were told by a family member is that they had to pay the ship charges for medical bills when they debarked.  Charges were around $7,000.  They have insurance but you have to pay and submit to your insurance for reimbursement.

Glad to hear that and I'll make sure I have some high credit limit cards with us. 

2 hours ago, grimpil said:

I would expect they would have metoprolol or diltiazem (primary drugs for a fib) on the ship but dont know for sure. I would make sure you had the names of the drug that worked for your wife. The risk is these drugs can lower heart rate and BP very low and require other drugs which can promote afib. Not sure if the ships Dr/medical center is equipped for that. Wishing you all the best.

She will have the metoprolol and the dilitazem with her in tablet form as she now has to take the dilitizem twice a day. She was already on metoprolol and they also just started her on eliquis.

We have to go to the doctor in a week so we will ask about the her readiness for a cruise as has been recommended in this thread.. As much as we want to go, if the Dr. says no go then we will be staying home. Not worth going against medical advice.

• Like 3

I went into again for the first time on a cruise

Dr and nurses were wonderful. I had x-rays and an ECG on board .They managed to stabilise me and I felt ok for the rest of the cruise - 3 more days.

I ended up in hospital 3 days later with aFib, RSV, asthma, diabetes and a kidney infection now controlled with several meds etc.  If it was not for the doctors on board I think that I would have died

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I was diagnosed with Afib 5 years ago...I am 66 and know all about it.  My afib was paroxysmal...had a mind of its own....I was put on metoprolol  and a blood thinner of course....when I ended up in the hospital with pneumonia covid, it affected my afib and they couldn't get the heart rate down until they put me on Amiodorone ....anyways...all was well ...I decided to have the cardiac ablation.....WOW....I am off all heart rate meds, still take blood thinner ....but have NEVER FELT BETTER....it's been 5 months and I have not had 1 episode of afib...my family and cardiologist drs said...take your meds and enjoy your vaca....(even before i had the ablation)....she will hopefully be fine...:)...Is she on medication for the afib?

Edited by abby1257

On 4/3/2023 at 11:04 AM, Illbcruzn4life said:

Glad to hear that. Good point about asking the doctor and we do have insurance for our next 3 cruises. Hope your daughter is doing well.

Make sure you are paying for "pre-existing" conditions....