Booked a Guaranteed Cabin and Cruise is sold out, should I be concerned?

Hello, we have booked a Guaranteed Cabin and understand that we might not be assigned a cabin perhaps until the day of departure.  The cruise seems to be sold out, should we be concerned about a possible overbooking situation and not be assigned a cabin at all?  Thanks.

15 minutes ago, swdke said:

Yep, it's the May 7 Cruise.  What is the barcode trick?

Look at the bottom of your set sail pass and the last 4 digits should be your room number. Not sure how it works for guarantee rooms, but it does for all other rooms

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Look at the bottom of your set sail pass and the last 4 digits should be your room number. Not sure how it works for guarantee rooms, but it does for all other rooms

I've looked at my SetSail Pass and I see the barcode, but there are no numbers associated.  I do see a Muster Station number, but nothing else.  I guess I'll keep watching.

Open the app, click on show set sail pass and then click on add set sail pass to apple wallet and it shows with a bar code, the last 4 digits are the assigned cabin to the reservation. This is our GTY on Anthem, originally under stateroom it said GTY but 6166 was in the barcode, now the room has been assigned accordingly.

Capture.JPG

unnamed.jpg

Edited by DrewFoundLander
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

It’s not that simple for gty rooms

Edited by Starry Eyes

17 minutes ago, swdke said:

I've looked at my SetSail Pass and I see the barcode, but there are no numbers associated.  I do see a Muster Station number, but nothing else.  I guess I'll keep watching.

No worries that you will be cabinless! If you see a muster station station, RCI has secretly picked a cabin for you (otherwise they would not know which muster station).  The barcode trick will work. Use the technique the others describe (apple wallet or a barcode reading app).  Or just wait if you are the patient sort; it will be revealed eventually.  My last two assignments were hidden in the barcode until from 45-31 days out.  At 30 days out they were revealed.  YMMV.

Assuming that RCCI and Celebrity operate similarly, we were on the Celebrity Infinity last January.  There were several people who booked guaranty cabins who were told with less than a month prior to boarding that the cruise was oversold and they would not be receiving the type cabin that they booked.  Many were offered an interior room at no charge and refund of the cruise fare that they had paid.  If they tried to push their reservation out a year, they would have to pay the price difference from what they had paid and the cost of the new reservation.  They were also able to cancel the cruise completely for a full refund.  The full cancellation or waiting a year were not acceptable options for those who booked their airfare (Buenos Aires, Argentina = expensive flights) on their own as non-refundable.

One cruiser had adjoining rooms booked for their party of four.  They were offered a "free upgrade" to a royal suite where they gave up the two balcony rooms and all four shared the royal suite.  I don't remember if they took the option, but I think that they did.  One bathroom for four adults would not be acceptable for us, but everyone is different.

If you read the roll calls for the infinity for both the 1/14/23 and 1/28/23 for the final month prior to the cruise, you will be able to get the details.  We had an assigned cabin so it didn't affect us personally, so I might have some of the details incorrect.

Bottom line...yes, it is very possible that something could change.  It is also possible that you will get exactly what you booked.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BND said:

I love how people assume everyone has an Apple Phone.  We never have.  Why not give every option when replying?

Because iPhone users can only give iPhone advice. We wouldn’t know the other ways if that’s what worked for us. But others do chime in for a different approach.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, BND said:

I love how people assume everyone has an Apple Phone.  We never have.  Why not give every option when replying?

This is exactly why I say so little on these forums. Even when you are genuinely trying to help, based on one's own experience and knowledge, this is how you are treated. Also, I do not speak to that which I do not know or have experience with, that is why I did not offer any other option. I do however thank you for reminding me to say less and not get involved.

Edited by DrewFoundLander
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, DrewFoundLander said:

This is exactly why I say so little on these forums. Even when you are genuinely trying to help, based on one's own experience and knowledge, this is how you are treated. Also, I do not speak to that which I do not know or have experience with, that is why I did not offer any other option. I do however thank you for reminding me so say less and not get involved.

The ignore feature of these boards provides a way to filter out the regulars who post content that you may not appreciate or find helpful.  After applying the 'ignore' to multiple users over time you can create a more pleasant forum experience that is customized to people who are like minded and aligned to your thoughts while filtering out the junk from those who are not like minded.  

• Like 11

57 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

No worries that you will be cabinless! If you see a muster station station, RCI has secretly picked a cabin for you (otherwise they would not know which muster station).  The barcode trick will work. Use the technique the others describe (apple wallet or a barcode reading app).  Or just wait if you are the patient sort; it will be revealed eventually.  My last two assignments were hidden in the barcode until from 45-31 days out.  At 30 days out they were revealed.  YMMV.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I'm still not having luck in getting a number on my barcode even in the App.  We're about 34 days out so maybe something will show up soon. Thanks.

1 minute ago, swdke said:

Thanks for everyone's advice, I'm still not having luck in getting a number on my barcode even in the App.  We're about 34 days out so maybe something will show up soon. Thanks.

Patience works.  If you grow curious you can try downloading a barcode reader app on your phone.  Point that barcode reader app at the set sail pass on your companion’s phone or on your computer.

58 minutes ago, BND said:

27 minutes ago, easyqueasy said:

Because iPhone users can only give iPhone advice. We wouldn’t know the other ways if that’s what worked for us. But others do chime in for a different approach.

I find that most iPhone users, or just Apple disciples in general, assume everyone has an iPhone, iPad, etc. With no recognition or implication that there could even be another alternative.  Especially annoying with news people that almost always say iPhone/iPad when they mean smart phone or tablet. 

I will generally preface my advice by indicating that it is for Android, unless it's an app or feature that I know or believe to be platform agnostic 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, twangster said:

The ignore feature of these boards provides a way to filter out the regulars who post content that you may not appreciate or find helpful.  After applying the 'ignore' to multiple users over time you can create a more pleasant forum experience that is customized to people who are like minded and aligned to your thoughts while filtering out the junk from those who are not like minded.  

Thank you.  I was unaware that you could do this.  But how?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ILCTCRUISER said:

Thank you.  I was unaware that you could do this.  But how?  

Hover your mouse over a user icon, avatar or picture to the left of their post.  After a few seconds you will some some options including an ignore button.  

image.thumb.jpeg.eece889dfcaf183fc3de6840c8a82aee.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last cruise we took on Royal we booked a guarantee balcony on the Anthem. I also stalked the RCI website looking for our cabin assignment. Somewhere along the way our booking showed a muster station assignment. I mentioned this to my wife, wondered could it be a "sign" of where our cabin would  be...knowing it was not an absolute. Muster station was on the starboard side of the ship, forward. Well...our cabin assignment ended up being...on the starboard side, forward. Probably just a coincidence....but...just sayin.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, swdke said:

You are not going to see the numbers below the barcode in the app, you need to save the set sail pass to your apple wallet and look at the barcode there if you are an iphone user.  If you have an android, you need to use a barcode.  The last digits will be the cabin number, if it isn't assigned yet, it will show GTY.

2 minutes ago, bar1068 said:

Last cruise we took on Royal we booked a guarantee balcony on the Anthem. I also stalked the RCI website looking for our cabin assignment. Somewhere along the way our booking showed a muster station assignment. I mentioned this to my wife, wondered could it be a "sign" of where our cabin would  be...knowing it was not an absolute. Muster station was on the starboard side of the ship, forward. Well...our cabin assignment ended up being...on the starboard side, forward. Probably just a coincidence....but...just sayin.

It was not a coincidence.  If you had employed “the barcode trick” being discussed on this thread (and elsewhere on CruiseCritic), you would have discovered your future cabin number was hiding in the barcode.