Dining Room Menu - Time for a Change?

nydney1

Is it just me or is the dining room menu getting a little old? Is it time for an updated menu?

Before the flames come out, I am not talking about the quality of the food or the size of the portions. I know there are other places to have dinner on the ship, but we enjoy the dining room.

I have just been struggling to find something that appeals to me. I just look at the menu and go, I’ve had this?

Anyone else think it is time for an update?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, nydney1 said:

Is it just me or is the dining room menu getting a little old? Is it time for an updated menu?

Before the flames come out, I am not talking about the quality of the food or the size of the portions. I know there are other places to have dinner on the ship, but we enjoy the dining room.

I have just been struggling to find something that appeals to me. I just look at the menu and go, I’ve had this?

Anyone else think it is time for an update?

I agree definitely time for different choices

• Like 1

Carnival does make subtle changes to menus. CC is littered with howls about how this or that is gone or this steak has replaced that steak.

The howling was particularly loud when there was a complete revamp and American Table was introduced. I think a revamp is what you are thinking of. I don't see that as a possibility.

With the addition of Emeril to the dining team, I do expect there will be more subtle changes over the next few months, but doubt he will eliminate Chocolate Melting cake.

• Like 3

Yes, I have been bitching about this myself!  I saw the new Royal menus and they look way better.  It doesn't have to be a total revamp, but please give us some new selections!

• Like 1

Yeah.  I am getting ready to go on my 3rd cruise of the year and I'm honestly not looking forward to MDR.  Only so many times you can eat the braised short ribs that is renamed brisket later in the week.  I do wish there was more variety.  It would be great if ships had their own unique menu.  Was on the Pride in Feb and Liberty in March and was kinda bummed to see they had the same menu.  

• Haha 1

I guess if you just cruise a lot the same menu would get boring. We only cruise about once every three years 10 cruises in 30 years otherwise we go to Europe, South America, the USA and other places. So we don't see the issue with the MDR menu. Maybe expand your vacation options

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, happylittlefamily said:

Yeah.  I am getting ready to go on my 3rd cruise of the year and I'm honestly not looking forward to MDR.  Only so many times you can eat the braised short ribs that is renamed brisket later in the week.  I do wish there was more variety.  It would be great if ships had their own unique menu.  Was on the Pride in Feb and Liberty in March and was kinda bummed to see they had the same menu.  

What cruise line has MDR menus on a ship by ship basis?

Brisket is typically on the first night. The short ribs are better.

1 hour ago, TravelBluebird said:

Do you remember when they had a few menu selections based on each port of call? I loved the variety that brought to the menu, and I really miss it. Some of my best Carnival MDR meals were from those port of call selections.

I enjoyed those, but often they were a stretch.

• Like 1

Yes, total revamp is needed. If they keep some of the same items, they need to update some of the recipes too. There is literally nothing on the MDR menus that make me excited to eat there, and during most cruises, they're lucky if I eat in there more than once. I usually end up making a salad at the Lido buffet and getting whatever the main protein is and sometimes the soup on the regular buffet line.

2 hours ago, kalmich said:

Yes, I have been bitching about this myself!  I saw the new Royal menus and they look way better. 

Judging from the vitriol over on the Royal board, you'd be a solid minority there.  A lot of comments...and most of them negative.  

For me, I have no problem with the MDR, but my cruise-friends and I only average one Carnival cruise per year so we don't really get tired of it.  I suspect that anyone who cruises frequently on one particular line would get tired of the offerings...no matter which cruise line it was.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

What cruise line has MDR menus on a ship by ship basis?

Brisket is typically on the first night. The short ribs are better.

After posting, I remembered it was served in opposite order, but didn't think it mattered enough to edit.  Point is, they are nearly identical.  

I didn't state there are any cruise lines that have MDR menus that differ by ship.  I just said it would be great if each ship could offer unique menus.  It would make trying different ships more fun/exciting.  Certainly, we can just sail different cruise lines to obtain some diversity.

7 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Do you remember when they had a few menu selections based on each port of call? I loved the variety that brought to the menu, and I really miss it. Some of my best Carnival MDR meals were from those port of call selections.

I also enjoyed those and was bummed to see them eliminated from the menu! Used to look forward to seeing what was on the next port night menu.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Anyone know why they axed that. That was a draw to the MDR. I wanted to see what the local favorites are.

• Like 1

Be careful what you ask for.  Right now the Carnival menu has lots of options each night compared to the other major lines.  What item specifically are you asking for?  They have to please everyone - those who are adventuresome eaters, meat and potatoes, picky,  health conscious, those who love spicy food .....

Just asking for change can get unpleasant surprises, what change specifically are you looking for?

I would vote more variety in the fish and seafood.  Otherwise leave it alone. 🙂

16 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Be careful what you ask for.  Right now the Carnival menu has lots of options each night compared to the other major lines.  What item specifically are you asking for?  They have to please everyone - those who are adventuresome eaters, meat and potatoes, picky,  health conscious, those who love spicy food .....

Just asking for change can get unpleasant surprises, what change specifically are you looking for?

I would vote more variety in the fish and seafood.  Otherwise leave it alone. 🙂

I don't think people are asking for more choices - just different choices. Swap things in and out. I don't think it's a bad idea but I am fine with the current menus, as I recognize that any changes will almost certainly be a downgrade.

We've sailed a lot since the restart.  I have the menu practically memorized. I do think a tweak is in order (if only to change things up a bit) and am hoping that Emeril Lagasse will insist on a 'touch-up' as part of his contractual relationship.  Now mind you, they'll always need to remain within budget.  But you can freshen without adding to the costs.  Oh and BTW, I think the dining room offerings now are totally fine.  And yes, brisket night comes first. 😉

6 minutes ago, jsglow said:

We've sailed a lot since the restart.  I have the menu practically memorized. I do think a tweak is in order (if only to change things up a bit) and am hoping that Emeril Lagasse will insist on a 'touch-up' as part of his contractual relationship.  Now mind you, they'll always need to remain within budget.  But you can freshen without adding to the costs.  Oh and BTW, I think the dining room offerings now are totally fine.  And yes, brisket night comes first. 😉

I would guess the budget is not keeping up with inflation, and it won't see a sizable increase until Carnival returns to profitability.

6 minutes ago, jsglow said:

I also suspect that they are seeing some supply chain issues. Revising supply contracts is currently not an easy thing to accomplish.

• Like 2

I totally agree that it is time for a revamp. Last month I sailed on Royal and the food was a welcome change but primarily due to different options and more choices each evening for dessert and main items. I know there is dissent on the Royal boards, but a switch up was a good change for us as we have sailed about 5 times on Carnival since the restart and I know the menu nearly by heart

When was the last change? I feel like I'd like a few changes too, but I also wonder if it's because they have it fairly streamlined. The port specific options were nice (even though I only had that option on one cruise) but I'd bet that that was a money change. 

As for Royal-that board is HOT about the menu changes. They took off the beef, chicken, fish option that Carnival still has. 

Does your favorite restaurant at home change their menu every year. If you went there seven days in a row , three times a year, you would be bored with the menu also. 

Edited by mrpayroll
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2