Regent First Timer Onboard - Reasonable Expectations?

MarEll1:  

Our uniform experience is that Regent knows how to do laundry.  The Laundry form(s) which you complete provide opportunity for special instructions as to hangers/folded; starch--light, heavy, none; and so-on.  Delicate items come back, neatly-folded, if asked, as commented-on above.  You can also write down any other special instructions.  

No worries.  

GOARMY!

• Like 4

MarEll1:  

To keep this Thread on-topic--

You can get additional inputs as to laundry service from CCers with many nights on Regent by going to Page 3.  Topic begun on March 1st is:  "Included Laundry Question".  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but can you tell me more about the laundry? We have our first Regent cruise in August to Alaska. I don’t put a lot of things in the dryer at home - I’m assuming all laundry done on board is dried? I’m concerned about some things shrinking and others being damaged if washed incorrectly. 

On our recent Regent cruise on the laundry form where it says special instructions or something to that effect, i would ask for specfic items to be hung to dry or washed in cold water. When the laundry came back i didn't have any issues. they seemed to honor my requests.  On anything i am really concerned about i pay for dry cleaning. 

Overall i was thankful for the included laundry. I feel it is the best perk. When we turned gold we got 1 laundry bag per week included. They gave us a $100 per cabin OBC when it went universal. Some people complained but i was so grateful that it went universal and unlimited in quantity.  To me this was way more valuable than missing out on 1 perk for being gold. 

• Like 3

On 4/10/2023 at 2:33 PM, MarEll1 said:

I don’t want to hijack this thread, but can you tell me more about the laundry? We have our first Regent cruise in August to Alaska. I don’t put a lot of things in the dryer at home - I’m assuming all laundry done on board is dried? I’m concerned about some things shrinking and others being damaged if washed incorrectly. 

I"m like the worst person to ask, as I. know nothing about laundry.  But thought I'd mention this.... my wife doesn't send her "delicates" to the laundry, she does them herself in the laundry room.  So that is certainly one option.  Now, I know no one really wants to spend time doing laundry on a cruise, but when we are relaxing in the cabin she'll run down and throw her "delicates" in, then go get them and hang them in our bathroom.  And of course there's always the option of putting them in the wash, calling for a martini to the laundry room if  you want to wait, because....heck.... we all need an excuse for another martini on a cruise. 🍸😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I"m like the worst person to ask, as I. know nothing about laundry.  But thought I'd mention this.... my wife doesn't send her "delicates" to the laundry, she does them herself in the laundry room.  So that is certainly one option.  Now, I know no one really wants to spend time doing laundry on a cruise, but when we are relaxing in the cabin she'll run down and throw her "delicates" in, then go get them and hang them in our bathroom.  And of course there's always the option of putting them in the wash, calling for a martini to the laundry room if  you want to wait, because....heck.... we all need an excuse for another martini on a cruise. 🍸😎

Any excuse for a martini works for me! Thanks 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 8:03 AM, D&L Thomas said:

Another question if I may. On other cruise lines (mostly Princess) we always enjoy sharing a dinner table and meeting people from all over. Sharing doesn’t seem to be a thing on this ship; the dining room hostess looked a little surprised when we asked. 🤷🏻‍♀️ So how do you meet people? Or is there just less casual socializing than I’m used to?

On our recent Regent cruise (came back on January 5) on one of diner nights we were actually asked by the host whether we would like to join another couple for a dinner.  So, I guess, it depends on the ship, perhaps, or just not always happens.

On 4/7/2023 at 12:00 PM, flossie009 said:

We usually ask to share in Compass Rose. Obviously it depends on other guests doing the same but also we have found that some of the restaurant staff are better at arranging this than others.

Hope you are successful when you give it another try.

We have met some great table companions just on the off-chance; very few have been of the "maybe not another evening" type; even fewer "never again😉

Not on Regent, but on other lines, when we've shared tables or otherwise met folks that we'd put into the "never again" category... we always try to remember that the upside of spending an hour or two with these folks (even if it feels like six) is the great stories we can share gossiping about them later!  Terrible, yes, but true 🙂 Always a silver lining.

• Haha 7

33 minutes ago, 1982CruzStart said:

I think the key is the word "collected". You may put your laundry out before 9 am but if the cabin attendants don't actually collect it until after 9 am, the guarantee to be back by 9 pm doesn't apply. 

It's our responsibility to get our laundry to our cabin steward before 9:00am if we want same day service.  We always hand our laundry bag to our steward before 9:00am if need it back that day.

I don't believe anyone has a right to expect same day service if they are not proactive.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2023 at 8:03 AM, D&L Thomas said:

On other cruise lines (mostly Princess) we always enjoy sharing a dinner table and meeting people from all over. Sharing doesn’t seem to be a thing on this ship; the dining room hostess looked a little surprised when we asked. 🤷🏻‍♀️ So how do you meet people? Or is there just less casual socializing than I’m used to?

We find it easy to meet other guests in both the cocktail lounges pre-dinner and at dinner.

Turn to the guests, sitting next to you and say something like, " Hello. How are you enjoying the ship?" Or "That look delicious. Do you mind telling me what it is?" OR "Pardon me, we're first time cruisers. Can you give us some pointer."

Edited by TV Dad

10 hours ago, labonnevie said:

Laundry update. Currently on Explorer. Laundry out at 6:30 pm (Cabin steward always freshens the cabin when we go to dinner) back at 2 pm next day. Large bag done perfectly. 

I fine it easier for me to do laundry bags before the night turn down. Always put laundry bag on bed before going to dinner and always back next afternoon     on the Splendor and the Navigator this past Dec Jan.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:40 PM, GOARMY said:

MarEll1:  

Our uniform experience is that Regent knows how to do laundry.  The Laundry form(s) which you complete provide opportunity for special instructions as to hangers/folded; starch--light, heavy, none; and so-on.  Delicate items come back, neatly-folded, if asked, as commented-on above.  You can also write down any other special instructions.  

No worries.  

GOARMY!

Can concur. Our recent TA cruise, I have no idea how they did it, but they perfectly pressed and lightly starched a shirt that I've not had wrinkle free since the first time I laundered it many years ago. I wish I took a before photo of it to show, I almost don't want to wear it again lol! Mrs and I were shocked when we saw it.

Edited by slidebite
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

DH and I were on the same TA crossing, and had some of the same quibbles re: laundry (picked up very early in the morning and not returned until late the following evening, usually when we called to inquire where it was).  On the first day of our cruise, we asked our steward to remove all the alcohol from our mini fridge and replace it with Diet Coke.  This was not done until we reminded him (twice).  He said he would try, as he was not sure whether Diet Coke was available on the ship.

Which brings me to the constant Diet Coke debate on NCL cruise ships (this seems to happen across the board, whether on NCL or on Regent).  On Day 2 of our cruise, I asked for Diet Coke at lunch.  The waitress came back with Coke Zero, saying there was no Diet Coke available on the ship.  I was floored.  A few minutes later, the head sommelier came over, asking if I wanted anything. I told him I had just been informed there was no Diet Coke on board, even after they had just provisioned in Miami.  I did not understand how that had happened.  He told me the waitress was misinformed, and I should always ask for drinks from a sommelier.  Are you kidding?  We're talking diet soda, not Chateauneuf du Pape.  Anyhow, he got me the Diet Coke.  But for the rest of the crossing, it was an issue, the Diet Coke "not always being available," depending on who you asked.  Terribly annoying.

Other than that, a really remarkable trip that surpasses any other cruise we have taken to date.

• Like 1

Our cabin was stocked with a couple cans each of diet and zero along with ginger ale and couple beer at first.

Zero is my preference but I too find that surprising that diet coke of all things would have given you difficulty.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ysolde said:

DH and I were on the same TA crossing, and had some of the same quibbles re: laundry (picked up very early in the morning and not returned until late the following evening, usually when we called to inquire where it was).  On the first day of our cruise, we asked our steward to remove all the alcohol from our mini fridge and replace it with Diet Coke.  This was not done until we reminded him (twice).  He said he would try, as he was not sure whether Diet Coke was available on the ship.

Which brings me to the constant Diet Coke debate on NCL cruise ships (this seems to happen across the board, whether on NCL or on Regent).  On Day 2 of our cruise, I asked for Diet Coke at lunch.  The waitress came back with Coke Zero, saying there was no Diet Coke available on the ship.  I was floored.  A few minutes later, the head sommelier came over, asking if I wanted anything. I told him I had just been informed there was no Diet Coke on board, even after they had just provisioned in Miami.  I did not understand how that had happened.  He told me the waitress was misinformed, and I should always ask for drinks from a sommelier.  Are you kidding?  We're talking diet soda, not Chateauneuf du Pape.  Anyhow, he got me the Diet Coke.  But for the rest of the crossing, it was an issue, the Diet Coke "not always being available," depending on who you asked.  Terribly annoying.

Other than that, a really remarkable trip that surpasses any other cruise we have taken to date.

Kudos to the sommelier.  He could have taken a "Not my job" attitude, and instead went out of his way to get you a Diet Coke.  Good for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

Kudos to the sommelier.  He could have taken a "Not my job" attitude, and instead went out of his way to get you a Diet Coke.  Good for him.

He can pull from other locations, the waitress cannot. She probably didn't know what to do (if new).

Talking of sodas ( Pop .. to us in the Uk. )

Any Chance of Pepsi Max ? 
Is this something we could request in advance for my our daughters cabin.

We would happily pay extra for it.

She will drink Diet Or Zero coke if she has to but vastly prefers Pepsi Max. 

Our son-in-law drinks those gross Monster Energy drinks. He typically has a big can every morning. He had our TA ask Regent if they could stock some for his suite, and lo and behold their room had some at arrival, and it was restocked daily. I think Pepsi Max would be an easier ask than that.

Our cruise did leave from Miami which helped.

14 hours ago, cAPS lOCK oN said:

Our son-in-law drinks those gross Monster Energy drinks. He typically has a big can every morning. He had our TA ask Regent if they could stock some for his suite, and lo and behold their room had some at arrival, and it was restocked daily. I think Pepsi Max would be an easier ask than that.

Our cruise did leave from Miami which helped.

Man, that stuff will kill you.