Chic night...do men still wear suits?

HWC_Mom

10 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Agree that there is no need for a jacket, but as a tip, one way to travel with a jacket while doing carry-on is to wear it on the plane.

I wear a casual sports coat on the plane.  Usually wear it if cool with a turtleneck t-shirt or a polo shirt.  Always wear sandals (have a foot problem),  but socks for dinner.

2 hours ago, sasset said:

We usually do 14+ night trans Atlantics often with a shorter 7-10 day ahead of it. That makes usually a total of five "chic" nights. I still pack a tuxedo and two or three sport coats and ties. I'm in shorts and flip flops almost year round and like the occasional old school dress up. Last November there were still some tuxes on our TA. I think it's a European/British thing. Either way he won't feel out of place and still better dressed than the backward baseball hatters.

You must have a lot of luggage if you're taking a tux AND 2 or 3 Sports Jackets. How many pairs of shoes do you take?

• Like 1

On cruises from Southampton we’ve found that people dress more.

On our most recent one from LA, Chic Night was hardly noticeable.

Thankfully I couldn’t get into my tux but it does seem a pity we’re losing the glamour.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

You have no idea why someone may or may not feel chilly.  Some of us actually walk on the deck at night. Or maybe we’re naturally cold blooded. I slept with a heating pad on my feet when we lived in Florida. In July. 

You don’t want to wear a jacket? No one is making you. 

Your right. Like I said, IMO. Just sharing my opinion.  We also like to take an occasional walk in the evening. Had the heated seats on in the car this morning. No jacket. 😉

Edited by davekathy

1 hour ago, swjumbo said:

On cruises from Southampton we’ve found that people dress more.

On our most recent one from LA, Chic Night was hardly noticeable.

Thankfully I couldn’t get into my tux but it does seem a pity we’re losing the glamour.

But you don't have to lose that glamour for yourself. We were on the Apex in March. Every evening in the MDR (Cosmopolitan) four young adults (30ish) walked by us each evening to their table. The two guys were dressed in suits and the two girls in gowns. Every night. My wife loved it and complemented them on how nice they all looked. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 4

I have always worn a suit including last year's Constellation TA. Our next cruise is on Xpedition, so I'll skip. For our upcoming Christmas cruise to Asia, I'll think about not bringing it. 

4 hours ago, sasset said:

We usually do 14+ night trans Atlantics often with a shorter 7-10 day ahead of it. That makes usually a total of five "chic" nights. I still pack a tuxedo and two or three sport coats and ties. I'm in shorts and flip flops almost year round and like the occasional old school dress up. Last November there were still some tuxes on our TA. I think it's a European/British thing. Either way he won't feel out of place and still better dressed than the backward baseball hatters.

And I bet you look marvellous! 

I know this is an unpopular opinion but it's my opinion ... I miss the days when we used to dress up, and there was the excitement of being invited to the Captain's Table for one of the formal nights. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

And I bet you look marvellous! 

I know this is an unpopular opinion but it's my opinion ... I miss the days when we used to dress up, and there was the excitement of being invited to the Captain's Table for one of the formal nights. 

I agree! The first cruise I was on was the Summit. I was invited to the captain’s table and my husband and I had a great time. We always look forward to dressing up the two nights on the cruise, even if it’s just for us. 

• Like 3

I miss really DRESSING for dinner... I remember packing long evening gowns, my husband packing a tux... and this was not that long ago, 2009 is the last time I remember doing it but I think we've done it since.

The expense and hassle of extra luggage has made this much less feasible in recent years.  We either skip it or "dress our best" which for me usually means a cocktail type dress (or on the more casual side of that...) and nice slacks, nice shoes, and a very nice long sleeve shirt for DH.  On our X cruise in March there MAY have been men in tuxes but I didn't see them (we skipped the second formal night) and women's attire was all over the board.

Chic night is what you want it to be. For me Chic night means a slightly better menu in main dining rooms but I wear the same attire as any other night. 

Dress up if that makes your vacation feel a little more special but you won’t be alone if you’re not.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kwokpot said:

You must have a lot of luggage if you're taking a tux AND 2 or 3 Sports Jackets. How many pairs of shoes do you take?

My wife and I used to take around 20.  For me it was patent leather to go with the tux, brown dress shoes, black dress shoes, a pair or two of casual shoes, two pairs of sandals, and  a pair of tennis shoes.  I don’t know how many my wife took, but it was a lot more than I did.

Edited by Mark_K

4 hours ago, Zacb said:

Chic night is what you want it to be. For me Chic night means a slightly better menu in main dining rooms but I wear the same attire as any other night. 

Dress up if that makes your vacation feel a little more special but you won’t be alone if you’re not.

And this makes depressing reading.

Edited by swjumbo
  • Haha 1

@swjumbo you don’t have to wait until the designated time to be glamorous. You can choose to be glamorous any time. By the pool. In the bar. 24/7 if that’s what you want. 

But don’t expect that everyone is going to conform to your narrow view on what a good vacation should be. 

• Thanks 1

EVENING CHIC

Each itinerary features one to two “formal” nights we call Evening Chic. Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way, with a cocktail dress, skirt, slacks, or designer jean, an elegant dress top or blazer—some guests even pack a tuxedo or gown for onboard 

Copied from the website. Sorry for the large font

Edited by swjumbo

11 minutes ago, swjumbo said:

EVENING CHIC

Each itinerary features one to two “formal” nights we call Evening Chic. Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way, with a cocktail dress, skirt, slacks, or designer jean, an elegant dress top or blazer—some guests even pack a tuxedo or gown for onboard 

Copied from the website. Sorry for the large font

The thing to take from this quote 

Evening Chic means you dress to impress, glamorous and sophisticated in your own way

• Like 1

If I sail Celebrity from Southampton I will wear a blazer on Chic nights.

If I sail P&O from Southampton I will wear a Suit & tie or my Tux.

Horses for courses.

On formal nights on P&O or Cunard if not wearing Jacket & Tie or Dinner Suit you will stick out like a sore thumb.in fact you will be refused entry into MDR and certain bars.

I don’t have strong feelings either way,if you don’t like the rules don’t book the cruise.

• Like 2