Anyone bring unsealed food items onboard?

Yankee6

I brought snacks with me last year on the Gem out of NYC. They were packed in one of my carry-on bags which they did not check. 

The snacks weren't for me - I agree there is more than enough food choices for guests on the ship. I brought them to give out to the crew. These folks don't get off the ship much and what's available to them food wise is very limited so it's nice to give them something different after all those months. They were individually packaged chip bags and were very well received by the crew members who got them.

• Like 2

The poster is not talking about the snacks the airlines have. They are talking about their own food they pack for the flight.  This may include cans of Pringles, Trader Joes peanut butter cups and pistachio nuts.  The OP is asking what happens if they don’t consume all the items they brought on the plane.  Will they then be able to take these opened but not yet fully consumed items on an NCL ship?  

In my experience the answer is yes.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 2Cruise4Ever said:

I usually have gum and hard candies in my purse when I fly (ear pressure issues) and haven't had a problem.  But, they are individually wrapped, not sealed.  I would think if you have a ziploc bag with you to put the leftover snacks in, it probably won't be an issue.

I have sensitive ears, too, during take-off and landing, so I also do this, but I recently purchased ear planes to pop in my ears during these times and they work like a charm.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ear+planes&crid=3L6CVTZQ9X9G&sprefix=ear+planes%2Caps%2C271&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I got those for smaller ears or kids and the regular ones for DH. (Not to get off-track here...)

Edited by NikiPinkston
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm someone who always brings snacks on trips. Primarily protein bars. I've been stuck on too many day trips where there was no real food options. I would prefer fresh fruit, but obviously you can't bring that into port.

I think there's a difference here between snacks that were once sealed and are now unsealed vs fresh/homemade items. A can of pringles is likely fine. Brining on a sandwich from home, who knows. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, complawyer said:

all the bags. candies, and goodies that i bring on board are sealed in bags. we buy them before leaving, pack them up and dont open them until we get to our cabin.  i have a horrible craving for a snickers bar and a pepsi or coke in the morning, we also bring a bag of butterscotch hard candy, sees lollipops ( los angeles candy company if anyone doesnt recognize the name) actually anything that's edible, under those categories mentioned we have brought onto the ship with no problems.

can you even imagine security confiscating an unopened  bag of jelly beans, chewing gum or life savers?

With the astronomical prices of similar items in the ships gift shop - YES - bring as much

as you can on board to satisfy your need. Also the gift shop if they have your candy/item

the sizing may not be the same  - half as much for twice the price !!!

Have allergies or other afflictions remember to bring your own OTC (over the counter) meds

these too are terribly expensive on board and often in limited supply !

6 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

For the life of me, WHY would anyone want to bring food ONTO a cruise ship?...

I always bring energy bars and the like with me for flights and during excursions. I rarely eat airline food and I travel long haul so need them to tide me over. 
I also bring some stuff you can’t get onboard or will cost a fortune if they happen to have it in the ship shops. 
I’m going to be even more inclined to bring snacks with the reduced hours for the buffet. I’m used to grabbing a slice of pizza or something there after the late theatre shows. The night time menu at the local does not appeal to me. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LoungerOnBalcony55 said:

Why would anyone do this? Of all the things you could possibly need to bring on board a cruise ship...the literally very last thing is food. 

Because it's NCL.  Of all the cruise lines I've sailed (Cunard, Princess, HAL and surprisingly even Carnival which used inexpensive ingredients but cooked them well) NCL was the one with the weakest food.  Security confiscated my lunch leftovers after I returned from one shore excursion, I was very sad because there was so little good food on my ship.  You might get lucky with the people scanning or you might get unlucky.  Just be polite and don't argue with security and throw out the food if they catch you, and don't bring anything expensive back that you might lose.

6 hours ago, Luvcruising69 said:

I brought snacks with me last year on the Gem out of NYC. They were packed in one of my carry-on bags which they did not check. 

The snacks weren't for me - I agree there is more than enough food choices for guests on the ship. I brought them to give out to the crew. These folks don't get off the ship much and what's available to them food wise is very limited so it's nice to give them something different after all those months. They were individually packaged chip bags and were very well received by the crew members who got them.

I second this.

We actually have a small suitcase packed with Filipino, Thai and Indian snacks for our Getaway cruise crew next week after hearing about how much our last cruise crew missed these little tastes of home. All snacks individually wrapped so no worries about being confiscated. 

The only "food" I bring for personal consumption are individual non-dairy creamer packets. The almond milk brand NCL stocks has a nasty aftertaste, so I just bring my own. 

Warmest, Amy 

19 hours ago, Yankee6 said:

They arent being brought on board to eat on the ship.   Ive been dieting for months so I can eat what I want on my trip and that starts on the plane.  I usually have leftovers from my flight and would prefer to take them on board for the flight home rather than throw them out. 

For the flight home? A week later? I am sorry but I am confused.

20 hours ago, Yankee6 said:

They arent being brought on board to eat on the ship.   Ive been dieting for months so I can eat what I want on my trip and that starts on the plane.  I usually have leftovers from my flight and would prefer to take them on board for the flight home rather than throw them out. 

As nasty and bland as airline food is, I could not imagine even attempting to eat it a week later.  Throw that crap away and be done with it,

17 hours ago, RD64 said:

For the flight home? A week later? I am sorry but I am confused.

im bringing stuff like pistachios and opened chocolates that are not indivually sealed on the flight and will have leftovers for the flight back.  I will not be eating them when on board, but want to keep them to snack on for the flight home.

On 4/21/2023 at 12:52 AM, YVRteacher said:

The rules also state that no food is to be taken off the ship, yet I have read your posts about taking the M&Ms from the butler off in ports. You know the rules too. Does everyone follow every rule? No. Should people be nice to others on Cruise Critic? Yes. 

The OP is asking whether they can remove food from the ship. The answer is no. Whether others follow the rules is totally irrelevant. What is relevant is the ship's and US Government laws. 

For Alaska cruises departing from Seattle:

image.thumb.png.9c99760030c9efd83c3510f6b62744fb.png

34 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The OP is asking whether they can remove food from the ship. The answer is no. Whether others follow the rules is totally irrelevant. What is relevant is the ship's and US Government laws. 

For Alaska cruises departing from Seattle:

image.thumb.png.9c99760030c9efd83c3510f6b62744fb.png

Oh no its the cruise police!  Im not breaking any laws bringing snacks on board,  Get the stick out of your butt and calm down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

This so bizarre.

I've been on 30+ cruises on other lines, to ports all over the world.

I've brought onboard local pineapple in Hawaii, local cheeses in France, odd street foods from India, mangosteens in Thailand, and dates in Dubai.

No one has ever cared and it didn't occur to me that it would be a problem. Why would it be? ( Besides being against NCL's ever-so-important rules?)

It's not eating into their revenue (like bringing in alcohol might).

I never tried taking the foods off the ship, but also never saw the ship as some kind of closed ecosystem either.

On 4/22/2023 at 4:39 PM, Yankee6 said:

Oh no its the cruise police!  Im not breaking any laws bringing snacks on board,  Get the stick out of your butt and calm down.

I doubt Bird stands at the entrance to the ship scanning each passenger's bag for food. Bird is just telling you that, unequivocally, food is not allowed to be brought onboard despite other's success in bringing food onboard has been. You don't have to follow the rules that Bird mentions. Just don't pitch a fit ift he food is taken away from you. You were warned. 

Also, in certain countries, you might actually be breaking the law by bringing food onboard. Now, it's certainly possible to bring unopened food onboard. That doesn't seem to be against the law, but those opened pistachios and chocolates might be. Or, they might not be. https://www.cruisehive.com/can-you-bring-food-on-a-cruise/96572

On 4/22/2023 at 4:39 PM, Yankee6 said:

While you would not be breaking any laws bringing open food onboard, you would be violating the USPH/CDC VSP, which prohibits food onboard the ship that is not from a "verifiable" source, and even if you had the snacks in their original, but opened packaging, that food is no longer "verifiable".  Again, it is the cruise line's "risk tolerance" in enforcing/not enforcing these regulations that will determine the outcome of your attempt.

Whether or not you actually eat the snacks onboard, or save them for your return flight is irrelevant, as there is the possibility that you could eat them onboard.

Edited by chengkp75

On 4/22/2023 at 5:15 PM, Sinbadssailors said:

I never tried taking the foods off the ship, but also never saw the ship as some kind of closed ecosystem either.

In certain ports, there is a dog that sniffs passengers and their bags. If the dog finds food, the food is removed and tossed into the trash. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only

42 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

In certain ports, there is a dog that sniffs passengers and their bags. If the dog finds food, the food is removed and tossed into the trash. 

This is true when disembarking.

I've personally never seen it happen when boarding other cruise lines.

55 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

This is true when disembarking.

It can also happen mid-cruise. 

If (for example) a guest is going on an excursion and grabs some food at the buffet in the morning thinking that they can have something to eat later, the guest may get sniffed and the food would get tossed. 

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It can also happen mid-cruise. 

If (for example) a guest is going on an excursion and grabs some food at the buffet in the morning thinking that they can have something to eat later, the guest may get sniffed and the food would get tossed. 

The guest may also be fined.  For example, the lady who took an apple provided by the airlines through customs in the US.  $500 fine.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-customs-fined-500-bringing-apple-delta-us/story?id=54663462

Edited by RocketMan275

5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Most think those cute little dogs are looking for drugs.  Truth is, most are working for the argricultural department and are looking for food.

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While you would not be breaking any laws bringing open food onboard, you would be violating the USPH/CDC VSP, which prohibits food onboard the ship that is not from a "verifiable" source, and even if you had the snacks in their original, but opened packaging, that food is no longer "verifiable".  Again, it is the cruise line's "risk tolerance" in enforcing/not enforcing these regulations that will determine the outcome of your attempt.

Whether or not you actually eat the snacks onboard, or save them for your return flight is irrelevant, as there is the possibility that you could eat them onboard.

Aloha. Sorry to hijack this thread but we need the expertise of our chief engineer on the Cunard Board regard the mechanical problems affecting the Queen Mary 2. If you would be so kind to assist, I think your input would be most appreciated. Thank you!

On 4/20/2023 at 11:00 PM, Yankee6 said:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-customs-fined-500-bringing-apple-delta-us/story?id=54663462